The MMA/Boxing Thread

• Thread starter Maccer_42
  • 909 comments
Dana looked absolutely shattered. First Rousey gets destroyed by Holm, then McGregor loses then does his little fake retirement thing, and now Jones gets busted again for drugs. Not a good time to be Dana White. Seems like his favourites are falling over at the hurdle recently.
Always had a thing for Lesnar, here's hoping he doesn't get knocked out in 30 seconds :lol:

Always had a thing for Lesnar, here's hoping he doesn't get knocked out in 30 seconds :lol:
He's a fantastic athlete, don't get me wrong, but he's been out for a while, and Mark Hunt is on a roll, in the prime of his career and his fists are like blocks of cement, one hit and you'll be out. I'd like to see it go long and watch them slug it out, but Lesnar won't be able to handle Hunt's punches if they land flush, or even graze his head.

Good thing the fights I'm interested in are being aired on FS1 in the US.

Can totally see it happening ala Arlovski/Miocic or Miocic/Werdum. Hope I am wrong though :)

FOTN should be Edgar/ Aldo.

The Jon Jones thing is HILARIOUS! What a clown. I feel bad for his die hard fans and maybe even a little for DC, but DC has to be rolling, laughing so hard. He kept calling Jon a fool (or whatever) because he was a druggie derelict, and really, that was all he had against Jon. And now look. Hah!

And I'm not exactly a fan of DC either.

I read somewhere else that someone felt bad for Dana White right now. Why? Because Holm kicked Rousey's butt. Because Diaz beat McGregor. And now this. Don't care because I think it's great!

Breaking news: Cormier will face off against Anderson Silva.

The GOAT in my eyes is Silva, and I'm actually more excited for this fight than Cormier v Jones II. Sure the animosity isn't there, but still. Wow.

Breaking news: Cormier will face off against Anderson Silva.

The GOAT in my eyes is Silva, and I'm actually more excited for this fight than Cormier v Jones II. Sure the animosity isn't there, but still. Wow.
Oh damn son!

The GOAT in my eyes is Silva
Could have been, if not for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory against Bisping, but playing the clown. Can't see anything but another loss for him here, not with DC's chin. Easy paycheck though.

Also, damn, Dos Anjos got owned by Alvares!

So with a little over 24 hours until the main card begins for UFC 200, who are your picks to win? Mine are as follows; Match #1 - Velasquez v Browne (Velasquez by TKO in the second)
Match #2 - Aldo v Edgar (Aldo by KO in the second)
Match #3 - Cormier v A. Silva (Cormier via TKO in the second)
Match #4 - Hunt v Lesnar (Hunt by KO in the first)
Match #5 - Tate (c) v Nunes (Tate by decision)

Not sure if anyone watched Joanna vs Claudia on today's TUF finale fight. Damn, good fight.

So with a little over 24 hours until the main card begins for UFC 200, who are your picks to win? Mine are as follows; Match #1 - Velasquez v Browne (Velasquez by TKO in the second)
Match #2 - Aldo v Edgar (Aldo by KO in the second)
Match #3 - Cormier v A. Silva (Cormier via TKO in the second)
Match #4 - Hunt v Lesnar (Hunt by KO in the first)
Match #5 - Tate (c) v Nunes (Tate by decision)

Hmm, my picks:
1) Velasquez - points
2) Edgar - points (FOTN)
3) Cormier - TKO
4) I'm going to go with BL - if Hunt can't knock him out fast, I think he'll gas and BL will get it to ground and finish. The size difference is massive
5) Tate TKO

So...

I got a good laugh out of the audience booing Cormier for playing to his strengths. Were they expecting him to legitimately challenge Silva standing up? And look what happened when he did. Honestly, now. :lol:

Many people were expecting Brock to get knocked out in round one and, well, it didn't turn out that way. He's always been about the ground and pound and he pulled it off. For whatever reason Hunt didn't really show any aggression in the match.

Despite not seeing half the fight thanks to FOX America UFC taking the transmission from Main Event Australia halfway through the fight, Nunes dominated and won.

Changed my bet just before the fight, but not here, so I have a 3-2 here but a 4-1 at home. Good card, FOTN was probably Lesnar v Hunt. But only just over Silva v Cormier.

All the fights weren't fantastic and memorable, but they were gritty and technical. For a casual UFC fan, probably not the best night for action, but for die-hards it was a good night of fighting. I give it a 7.5/10.

Last edited:
I watch em all, all the time and thought it was predictable and boring. :odd:

It panned out almost exactly as you'd expect, save for one guy not kicking the livening life out of someone else's front leg.

Girl's division is pretty crazy.

I watch em all, all the time and thought it was predictable and boring. :odd:

It panned out almost exactly as you'd expect, save for one guy not kicking the livening life out of someone else's front leg.

Girl's division is pretty crazy.
The fighters all came in and played it safe, which is obviously the smartest eay to approach it, but the event did lack that crazy, unpredictability, save a few moments in Silva v Cormier and Hunt v Lesnar, that has made the UFC as popular as it is.

Velasquez v Browne was a good fight, very nearly my fight of the night really. Velasquez spinning heel kick was just unbelievable.

So...

I got a good laugh out of the audience booing Cormier for playing to his strengths. Were they expecting him to legitimately challenge Silva standing up? And look what happened when he did. Honestly, now. :lol:

Many people were expecting Brock to get knocked out in round one and, well, it didn't turn out that way. He's always been about the ground and pound and he pulled it off. For whatever reason Hunt didn't really show any aggression in the match.
Coming from Sherdog, everyone was expecting him to smash him. 41 years old, excluding Diaz hasn't won a fight since 2012, coming off surgery, with 2 days notice. Also had a 30ish lbs weight advantage.

Cormier has pummeled and bitch tossed some of the best HW's and LHW's in the world. That was the best he could do?

My thoughts on the fights:

Overall, a bit of a disappointment.
- Velasquez/ Browne: super impressive from Cain. Spinning heel kicks from a HW? cool. Browne looked so out of his depth it isn't funny. When 'Reem beats Miocic, its the natural matchup :D
- Aldo/ Edgar: Thought Edgar did way more then to get only one round from the judges. Aldo spent most of the time running away, but had better timing when he did throw. I had edgar edging it.
- Brock/ Hunt: Called it :D. Hunt was super tight and didn't throw anything of consequence and his TDD was mediocre. Brock is a beast though on the ground.
- Tait/ Nunes: Wow, Tait was destroyed. The title is a revolving door - dunno what Rousey's plans are but Holm may be the natural next match.

Can I also just give a massive props to Lesnar in his post fight speech. I was expecting the brash, unfiltered Lesnar that we saw at UFC 100, but instead we saw a human side to Brock, compassionate, sincere and professional. It was a touch unsettling seeing that from him. :lol:

It continued to an extent in the post fight press conference, he even joked about his infamous Coors Light comment from UFC 100 when he said "One more question from you guys before I go and drink a Coors Light.. I mean a Bud Light".

Lesnar has gained a hell of a lot of respect in my eyes. I think I might just have a soft spot for Lesnar now... :lol:

Well, depending on when the Women's Bantamweight champ wants to fight again, it'll either be Peña or Rousey. I'm also curious to see if Cat Zingano will jump for a fight with Tate. If she fights Pennington, she'll destroy Pennington I think.

Lesnar has tested positive again fora banned substance, same substance as Jon Jones got busted for.
Yep, estrogen blockers, but these two are the only ones out of 8 he failed.

So UFC 202: McGregor v Diaz 2 is this weekend, and the presser was... something else. Short summary: McGregor arrived late, Nate walked out of it with his crew, him and McGregor exchanged barbs as he was leaving then all hell broke loose as Nate and McGregor engaged in a bottle throwing match across the room. :lol:

Yeah, gonna be good 👍

Not really sure who will win, McG has had a great camp and will be prepared as he'll ever be. I want him to win, and then face Aldo in a megafight :)

Any predictions?

Brenden Schaub - Connor McGregor - 5th round stoppage or decision
Bryan Callen - Nate Diaz - 4th round submission
(This has a 3000 dollar bet between them)

Hope it is a better fight, Nate looked very rusty in the first one and took an age to find his timing - but once he got Connor to give up the striking his BJJ was next level and made him give up the fight.

Will Connor resort to a barrage of low kicks on Nate's lead leg? - Hope not as I want Nate to win by Submission (Neck Crank, Round 3)

Back