The Most Confusing Motor Racing Event of All Time

• Thread starter Zolon32
  • 267 comments
Wait... Gran Turismo used to have a track creator? You could design your own track?

I always wondered why the new games don't have that feature. Now, I'm wondering even more.

After my poor connection this Monday I tested my internet speed in that room and it was fine (14Mbps down; 8Mbps up). For those who've played PC2 longer, do you know if there are settings, either in the game or on the PlayStation, that could be changed to improve connectivity? I've read about port forwarding, but my technical abilities might fall short of that.

EDIT: I meant to add, plugging the PS into the router is not an option; it is two floors up from the router. Also using a plug-in extender I believe would not work, given the electrical circuit on that floor is on a different circuit that the rest of the house. We are with BT and have their Complete Wi-Fi kit; an extender disc on each floor.

Last edited:
did you use the signal speed tester in the playstation settings, just in case the PS is in a cabinet or a dead corner in the room?
or is someone else using the internet at the same time, movie streaming, backup happening the background. PS downloading a game etc.

Testing your internet connection on PlayStation 4​

If you experience connection issues on PlayStation 4, you can check the status of your console's internet connection.

To test your connection:

• Open the home screen.
• Go to the Function area at the top of your screen.
• Choose Settings and then Network.
• Select Test Internet Connection.

If the test shows your connection as NAT Type 3, you may encounter problems connecting to the network. For more information please check the PlayStation 4 manual.

Last edited:
I used a speed test website on my phone rather than on the PS5; I did so in a few rooms to see if that room had an issue, given it is the furthest away from the router. I'll have a look at the PS5 manual to see if there is equivalent guidance, thanks. Would also be interesting to see what PS5 thinks the speeds are versus what an internet test says.

I don't have any issues with other games and usually PC2 is not as bad as it was on Monday. There was no major usage - just me on the PS and my wife watching TV. Hopefully it was a one-off thing; will see how it goes on Saturday. We are shortly getting full fibre which I trust should improve things too if BT's promises about speed live up to anything.

I get it that you have the PS on wifi? If that's the case then the placement of it inside the room can have a serious impact on connection speeds so either you test with the phone placed where the PS is or you really should check connection speeds with the PS itself.

Then again, I don't think I ever have experienced lag issues with you so maybe it was a one off thing not related to the PS or even your home's connection, could be a problem with the ISP.

Last edited:
For racing games in particular it's not really the speed that matters, it's the quality of the connection (they don't transmit much data). When you're running speed tests it can often buffer data giving a false impression of the connection whereas the games requires fairly instant data (within limits) - no lag. Some games deal with it better with their netcode than others. In PC2 we are all connecting to each other (P2P) in other games they sometimes use a sever connection, GT's sport mode for instance.

The speed tests usually give you a ping figure. That'll be the one to check for. You need that to be fairly low.

Anyway...
Hmm, maybe the PS5's WiFi isn't quite so good. Perhaps a repositioning of that might help. Or maybe swapping it to vertical or vice versa.

Everything is "smart" these days. Was your wife perhaps streaming TV, not watching live. That wouldn't help.

A bit messy but is it possible to use a plugin network adapter via a long extension lead plugged into a socket on the lower circuit? Perhaps just on race days.

Wi-fi:
Many routers have dual band, 2.4 and 5 GHz. The 5 gives faster speeds but the 2.4 can travel further so it would be ideal if your router allows you to split them. I do with mine because the nextdoor neighbor connects to my 2.4. I often switch her off during races. 🙂

Also both frequencies usually transmit on a default channel. Changing from the default can help with any conflicts. The default can often be the same channel as many routers around you so swapping can assist.

You seem to have range extenders but is your PS5 connecting to them and not to the far away router directly?

I'll have a think about any other solutions over a spot of lunch.

Thank you chaps. I've done a test on the PS5 just now and key items:
NAT Type 2
Download 35.7Mbps
Upload 8Mbps
Frequency band in use 2.4GHz
IP Address setting auto
It then gives IP4, IP6, subnet mask, DNS and default gateway addresses.
Proxy server - don't use
MTU settings auto

Don't know if anything stands out there.

Don't know if anything stands out there.
Unfortunately I suppose, that all looks pretty good.

Maybe the 2.4 could be swapped onto another band (it's often on 1 by default). But that involves delving into your router menus.

I see BT offer £100 back if you can't get good WiFi using their complete WiFi kit. Might be worth contacting them since I'm sure they wouldn't want to pay out without investigating to see if it can be improved.

You could design your own track?
You could. It was quite comprehensive. Only criticism I would have had was that the road surface was always extremely smooth, with no character to it. But that's a trifling niggle; overall it was a fantastic addition.

I think we're at Willow for tomorrow, the 9th, which was delayed from last week. Next week, the 16th, will be at Muggle Oh, in the snow, I don't know, gotta go.

I've just realised there's only 2 races left in Zo's championship! Where's that time gone? And I haven't got anything planned yet!

Last edited:
@Zolon32 will this be Mugello GP or short?

Edit: And will it definitely be in the snow for race 1?
Dammit! I forgot to change the dates when we missed a meeting last week :dunce:

The races we're doing this week are the ones at Willow Springs. Sorry about that...

And, when it comes to next week (16th) it will be Mugello GP, and yes, it will be snow. It's ace!

The WRX motors really handle the slippery stuff well, drifting through the corners and really punching out of them. I think they use spiked tyres.

Last edited:
tal
Just to let you know I won’t be able to join today’s race.
Thanks for the heads up Hartur. I promise you won't regret it if you manage to get to next week's event. Both races will be real fun.

Tonight's probably going to be garbage, but next week...

Don't worry Paul; something will crop up.

Last edited:
Standings after Willow Springs. I guess it could be closer, in theory.

Monday.jpg

I meant to add, plugging the PS into the router is not an option; it is two floors up from the router.
Just an option that might be available. Might it be possible to take an ethernet cable up the side of the building. I realise that's a bit extreme, but I thought I'd mention it, just in case it could fit.

Standings after Willow Springs. I guess it could be closer, in theory.
Yeah! The "Bloke who's scoring and bloke who organised being 1st and 2nd" plan is coming together nicely.

Chaps, I've done a little bit of testing. Half is right, it's not spike tyre time, the cars run on wets with the settings we're using (full details to follow). Anyway, they're both belting motors. I can't separate them, so the choice is open.

There is, however, a strategy issue. They start with only 50 litres of fuel, which you can go through in no time. Alternatively, you can short-shift, and make it last, thereby avoiding a pit stop. (The race will be 12 laps)

I don't think it will be worth changing tyres. They take a while to swap, and the advantage isn't great.

The date will be 28th July. Quali will begin at 10:00am, with three weather zones, snow, snow, overcast.

The race will begin at 12:00, and will have four weather zones, snow, snow, snow light cloud.

Details for second race to follow...

@IfAndOr @half_sourly @Hun200kmh @tal @Pantheons @Madbigdog @slthree @Oldbass47 @Napalm_LT @Don Mejillone @GTP_RPREGO @richroo (just in case)

Folks, the confusion continues... Not only was the nonsense about the cars having 50 litres of fuel for the first race nonsense, so was the idea that the Citroen will make the race distance on the 27litres or so that they do start with. No matter how much short shifting is done.

Therefore, the first race will feature a compulsory pitstop. The Ford can be made to use much less fuel than the Citroen, but will short shifting in order to minimise the time taken in the pits be worth it? I'm not sure.

Another thing you might want to consider is, do you want to turn off the "repair" option in the pitstop. These cars do pick up engine damage, and you might be spending quite a while in the pits to have it put right.

So, that's that. First race, you can use either the Ford or the Citroen. You must pit at some point whichever car you choose, but you might be able to make it a very short stop in the ford.

Race two, in the BMW TC car, will feature three weather zones for quali, Overcast, heavy cloud, light cloud.

The race, of 13 laps, will have four weather zones, overcast, heavy cloud, medium cloud and light cloud.

Last edited:
Thanks for keeping track of the scoring Half. The arrangement we had has worked out fine, and you made me work really hard for it yesterday, despite a lack of practice on your part (and abundance on my part). Brilliant show.

Thanks also to everyone else who has turned up to contribute to the most confusing motor racing event ever. I have thoroughly enjoyed it. Additionally, I have learned that, when I do organise things in the future, I must keep them to a smaller time scale in order that more people can participate throughout.

So, onwards to Paul's next idea.. Come on Monday!

No worries re score-keeping. Least I could do.

Congratulations on the win; well deserved.

I really enjoyed the WRX; once you realise you steer as much with the right foot as with the wheel, it is a blast. I also got on well with the BMW. Not often I get on with cars so quickly; just as well. Still got caught out by the Mugello kerbs on both races though.

Thank you for organising; great event.

Congratulations Zolon, Half, raeggee, that's a quality podium! 👍

Very sorry to have missed the last race, but more will come. @Zolon32 , it was a fantastic idea to mix all those cars in one single championship, as always the racing itself was great and the company was even better!

Paul, we're waiting! ;)

Latest Posts

Back