The new Borgward- Large percentage of Borgward is for sale due to poor sales

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 122 comments
To think they could've come back as anything and all we get is generic SUVs aping BMW's X3 and 4 via Audi and DS styling themes. What a waste of a brand name.

A chic personal coupe would've been so unique in the market right now.

VXR
To think they could've come back as anything and all we get is generic SUVs aping BMW's X3 and 4 via Audi and DS styling themes. What a waste of a brand name.

This. 100%. I will say, though, that I'm thankful they didn't bring back an old model name with styling to match as a retro moneygrab. At least an SUV is unique to the brand.

I don't think Chinese-backed projects like this would go the retro route. China's design does at least look progressive.

VXR

How can you expect a company who hasn't made anything (or existed) in decades to suddenly come out and wow everyone?

For what looks like a mishmash of Audi, Mazda, Porsche and Nissan crossovers, the BX5 does a surprisingly dignified job of representing its bracket. That and it doesn't look five years out of date before it even hits showrooms (*cough*BX7*cough*).

VXR
It's an investment firm buying a dormant name, they had a completely clean slate.

Even more reason not to have such a high expectation, not to mention people have an annoying tendency of comparing something new to something else.

This brand's only identity is one that only is remembered on some old film and the people that were there, as of it right now it doesn't have one so again its unrealistic to expect so much when they haven't established themselves Now.

They will have to establish themselves regardless of what style of cars they chose to release, but unfortunately they went for the safe option of SUVs when this is already a well stocked genre where they'll struggle to find any traction.

VXR
They will have to establish themselves regardless of what style of cars they chose to release, but unfortunately they went for the safe option of SUVs when this is already a well stocked genre where they'll struggle to find any traction.
It's better than going to the absurd side of the spectrum like the Devel Sixteen.

IMHO, their price points will influence their success. As someone before has mentioned, maybe 29k for a Borgward is a pretty good price. It would put it in the same market as the Sorento and Equinox.

If you're going to gamble on resurrecting a brand, you're not going to use that name to sell cars in segments that don't sell.

Luxury crossovers sell... so it makes sense to design products for that market.

My take on all of this is that hardly anyone knows who Borgward is and what their products are, so to criticize them like they should be making cars to rival Koenigsegg or somebody is just too harsh. So I'm with RACECAR in defense of Borgward. We can't go rip on Borgward just because they aren't making cars trying to challenge world-class marques and is a company hardly anyone knows of in this day and age. That's like hating on an athlete (including race car drivers) who was retired for a long time just because he/she doesn't perform well in a sport. And I still believe Borgward may simply make these more common vehicles now but may possibly step up and make more premium and more exciting cars in the future. I just don't agree with knocking this company just because they are not very well known and haven't made cars in over half a century. Final thought: go easy on Borgward.

I was never asking for a hypercar. I was suggesting they could've come out with a personal coupe priced to undercut the German coupes, which is a market space in Europe that barely exists anymore now that everyone makes SUVs in place of coupes. If you're looking to buy one of these Borgwards, there's got to be 5-10 established products fighting with it. There is potential for coupes and cabriolets beneath the German trio, hence why Opel offer the Cascada.

Their sales would stand a better chance offering something different in the market than another me-too product. They're unlikely to be anything more than a footnote on European sales charts, they might as well be a unique footnote.

Is Borgward's biggest challenge more about trying to establish an identity after such a long hiatus from making cars? This isn't the thread on Spyker, but I probably knew nothing of Spyker until that lovely C8 cars came along. Same goes for when the Spyker Squadron machines appeared in GT racing. If you're going to revive a brand, you're best served to offer something that is going to get people talking. So far, the modern offerings aren't exciting too many people. I still believe maybe Borgward are trying to slowly ease in and provide some interesting products.

Or you know what? Maybe Borgwand slowly offering certain products reminds me of a company offering some great stuff the past decade or so- McLaren. Think about when McLaren came back with a car like the McLaren MP4-12C and then with the fine P1. At least people knew of McLaren and knew they came up with a slam dunk of a car when they made the McLaren F1 and its racing variants. Personally, the McLaren F1 is my all-time favorite car regardless of segment or genre. McLaren can fall back on their past and not face as much of "who's McLaren?", unlike Borgward.

At least, this is the way I see Borgward and them trying to establish an identity and a reputation in today's auto landscape.

[UPDATE] Changed order of P1 and MP4-12C.

Last edited:
Or you know what? Maybe Borgwand slowly offering certain products reminds me of a company offering some great stuff the past decade or so- McLaren. Think about when McLaren came back with a car like the McLaren P1 and then with the fine MP4-12C. At least people knew of McLaren and knew they came up with a slam dunk of a car when they made the McLaren F1 and its racing variants. Personally, the McLaren F1 is my all-time favorite car regardless of segment or genre. McLaren can fall back on their past and not face as much of "who's McLaren?", unlike Borgward.

I believe its the other way around, friend ;)

I made the edits long ago (and thanks for setting me straight), because I wasn't sure which McLaren came first in my initial post. But again, who knows of Borgward and the products they created and the identity they established today? I think these have been the sort of deterrents and obstacles for Borgward today. There is still that chance of this company coming up with something incredible that nobody could see coming. That possibility still exists and is still real. If/When that does happen, this company will surely make its mark and get us folks talking.

VXR
I was never asking for a hypercar. I was suggesting they could've come out with a personal coupe priced to undercut the German coupes, which is a market space in Europe that barely exists anymore now that everyone makes SUVs in place of coupes. If you're looking to buy one of these Borgwards, there's got to be 5-10 established products fighting with it. There is potential for coupes and cabriolets beneath the German trio, hence why Opel offer the Cascada.

Their sales would stand a better chance offering something different in the market than another me-too product. They're unlikely to be anything more than a footnote on European sales charts, they might as well be a unique footnote.

They're not going to be a roaring sales success in either... it's better to be a marginal player in a thriving market segment than a (still) marginal player in a dead one.

Granted, the one problem with starting with SUVs is that they don't capture the imagination like sports cars or super cars do. And that kind of publicity helps build brand image.

-

Then again, if you look at the Qoros brand... simply aiming at luxury buyers with an unknown brand isn't a great business model. And Borgward seems to be aiming at the same premium segment as Qoros...

-

Of all the brands launched in the past decade, the only ones to see some form of success are Tesla and BYD. BYD is an odd one, because they're just a bit player in China, but they've struck gold through their battery technology innovations and EV deals with provincial governments. They're now the best-selling EV maker in China... and they're doing it by selling full-sized EVs rather than glorified golf carts. But their target market is different from Borgward or Qoros.

Tesla has made it through sheer... uh... something. They're constantly teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, but Elon's salesmanship and the sheer marketing drive of the company keep it afloat. Tesla's target market is, needless to say, much higher-income than the others. And he managed to weather the traditionally rough startup of auto companies by taking some smart shortcuts with the development and production of the Roadster... similar to how BYD started off with its own cars, only basing their stuff off of old Corollas and Lexus RXs isn't quite as sexy as building a car based on a Lotus!

-

Qoros and Borgward seem to be doing things completely from the bottom up. Whether this works out in the long run remains to be seen, but one thing's for sure, your investors will have to be willing to play the long game, because developing cars from scratch means that your first few model years will most certainly be non-profitable, no matter what your volume.

-

Borgward shows the BX5 and Projekt BX6 TS at Geneva

BX5-3.jpeg

BX5-2.jpeg

BX6-3.jpeg

BX6-1.jpeg

BX6-2.jpeg
The silver one has a look like the Sebring sedan.

Doesn't look they are up to much. I think they are waiting to see how well the first SUV sells.

It's tough to recognize a car as a legend if hardly anyone knows of you. That said, I can see a bit of Jaguar, Volvo, and maybe even Renault in this Isabella concept car. It's like being a legend among your peers... but no one knowing you outside of your city or region. So name recognition is going to be a problem for some people in regards to people taking this reborn Borgward seriously. I do think this is a very nice car. Not gorgeous, but very charming.

Like I said- you never know what Borgward is up to after such a hiatus. Now we have a little idea of what Borgward is coming up with, at least in the short term.

I do think the car is gorgeous, but I hate that they've brought the name back. And those doors are terribly gimmicky.

It has bug eyes (locust).

Exterior, except the front end, is gorgeous. The interior on the other hand is, mmmm, not gorgeous.

Large percentage of Borgward is for sale due to poor sales
China's Beiqi Foton Motor plans to sell a 67 percent stake in Borgward as losses at the German brand it revived four years ago escalate.

The move is intended to attract new Borgward investors, Shanghai-listed Foton said in a statement.

Borgward, once Germany's third-largest automaker, was liquidated in 1961. Foton, a truck subsidiary of state-owned Chinese automaker BAIC Group, acquired the rights to the brand in 2014.

In the past two years, Borgward has launched two gasoline-powered crossovers, the BX7 and BX5. In May, the battery-electric version of the BX7 also went on sale in China. The vehicles are assembled at Foton's renovated plant in suburban Beijing where the automaker is headquartered.

Borgward re-entered its German home market in July with the BX7 TS. It is the first vehicle the brand has sold in Germany since 1961. In 2016, Borgward said it planned to open a factory in Germany to build 10,000 cars a year.

Borgward's sales have shown no signs of improving. In the first seven months, the brand's deliveries slumped 23 percent year on year to 18,996 vehicles, according to the China Passenger Vehicle Alliance, a Shanghai consultancy.

Because of limited sales, Borgward suffered a loss of more than 1.6 billion yuan ($231.5 million) as of August this year, according to Foton
europe.autonews.com
Edit-
They take an old brand not the average car person knows about let alone an average person and all they made was crossovers ( cause crossovers sell). And now they are looking to sell the brand cause no one wants to buy no one wants to buy a crossover from a brand they never heard of, who would have guessed :dunce:

Last edited:
Back