The New Toyota Corolla Hatchback is the Latest #SaveTheManual Ambassador

This is something a little different from our usual automotive coverage. Let us know if these sorts of events/insights are something you want to see more of!

That is indeed a good looking car.

It is, right? Glad to see some interesting colours in the mix too (there's a burnt orange and a nice bronze too). That blue is the hero hue, and it gives it some Mazda 3 vibes because of that, but that's hardly a bad thing: the 3 is a great-looking car. The new hatch is also commendably light, and despite the extra 30hp it has over the sedan, it's more economical too.

I want to experience a CVT. I don't know how it feels and drives.

It's... different. We had one as a rental this summer and my girlfriend had never experienced one. She thought the transmission was broken at first. :lol:

Last edited:
It's nearly an Opel Astra clone. Even the Toyota badge is round now. Nothing bad, just weird.

Looks aggressive in the metal. The way Australia's driver's licencing is, having the manual option is a must. New drivers, have to choose which transmission's car they will receive their licence with. Toyota would lose lots of sales if no manual was offered.

Anyway, keep the features coming. It's nice to be invited to such events.

No, you don't. I Rented an Altima with a CVT a while back. Just imagine driving a powerboat, but instead of an LS-block Mercruiser you have to listen to a GDI 4-banger moaning at semi-full throttle all the way to your cruising speed. The Corolla hatch looks good, but I think the Mazda 3 looks better. (Biased, yes; my daily drive is a 3-pedal 3S hatch...) Still, very cool to see a manual option!

That is indeed a good looking car.
I'd say that's debatable. I find Toyota's latest design language aesthetically questionable (Prius is a really good example).

Regarding stick shifts, the only think I genuinely like about them is how they're fairly simple structure-wise, and therefore are cheaper to make, easier to fiddle with and are less likely to malfunction. I really do hope Toyota won't butcher this simplicity with assistance bells and whistles.

I'm very pro automatic transmission, but I'll say this...a CVT is the worst possible option in my opinion for a car. Sure it probably works better, but in terms of driving, it's horrendous. I'm also not sure I've driven a CVT equipped vehicle that didn't sound like a camel dying and/or giving birth.

I honestly think the Corolla hatch is charming. Certainly much easier on the eyes than the sedan.

Toyota has been so stupid last few years. Pulled out from video games just becouse they think they make worse sales.
They've only been backing off games since last year, and from what I've noticed it's mostly street racing styled games they're not involved with, like NFS and Forza Horizon. Honda and Ferrari did that a few years back too if I remember correctly. They're still in GT and that's better than nothing. And you're clearly not among friends here by picking a Toyota thread to bash Toyotas on, why bother? It's a waste of yours and our time here.

Back on track though that looks great for a Corolla and I really hope the USA get that as it comes there. Toyotas been good about that mow that Scion is gone.

Last edited:
They've only been backing off games since last year, and from what I've noticed it's mostly street racing styled games they're not involved wirh, like NFS and Forza Horizon. Honda and Ferrari did that a few years back too if I remember correctly. They're still in GT and that's better than nothing. And you're clearly not among friends here by picking a Toyota thread to bash Toyotas on, why bother? It's a waste of yours and our time here.

Back on track though that looks great for a Corolla and I really hope the USA get that as it comes there. Toyotas been good about that mow that Scion is gone.
Toyota was not in Forza motorsport 7 either. Honda and Ferrari have been in every Forza motorsport and horizon game. Toyota started pulled out on Forza motorsport 7. Reason is becouse they think they have worse sales if people drive them in video games. That is how stupid Toyota is. Gran turismo have them yes. But it was developed before Toyota started pulling out.

It should be available now at all dealerships south of the border. It effectively replaces the Corolla iM (nee Scion). I asked about a potential sedan version of it instead of the existing model (which has bones from 2006), but the Toyota folks were coy to answer.

Toyota was not in Forza motorsport 7 either. Honda and Ferrari have been in every Forza motorsport and horizon game. Toyota started pulled out on Forza motorsport 7. Reason is becouse they think they have worse sales if people drive them in video games. That is how stupid Toyota is. Gran turismo have them yes. But it was developed before Toyota started pulling out.

I believe the most commonly cited reason for Toyota not being in video games any more goes back to 2009. Allegedly, Toyota execs think having its cars in a video game will make it so people don't want to buy them in real life:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/y88pl3z/
https://kotaku.com/5387350/toyota-exec-realistic-video-games-make-cars-unnecessary

I believe the most commonly cited reason for Toyota not being in video games any more goes back to 2009. Allegedly, Toyota execs think having its cars in a video game will make it so people don't want to buy them in real life:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/y88pl3z/
https://kotaku.com/5387350/toyota-exec-realistic-video-games-make-cars-unnecessary
That doesn't really explain why they seem to be pulling the licenses strictly from the street racing games, if what @guywithanAE86 said is right about it being those specific games.

The car sure has a nice butt... But her face?

Oh well, not the ugliest car I've seen.

Toyota has been so stupid last few years. Pulled out from video games just becouse they think they make worse sales.

That was kind of dumb, but not as stupid as what Ford is about to pull here in North America.

I've been seeing quite a few of these in Japan and I have to say they look very very nice in the metal. I saw a modified one too, it had a huge front splitter and little details dotted about that made it look super aggressive! I wish I'd have taken a photo now.

That doesn't really explain why they seem to be pulling the licenses strictly from the street racing games, if what @guywithanAE86 said is right about it being those specific games.
Define strictly because like mentioned they weren't in FM7 either. That has as little to do with street racing as GTS does. Maybe some sort of exclusivity? Maybe as ridiculous a reason that is being stated here? Who knows really. I'm wondering if it's the latter going off that article, considering they dont have getting Non-production Toyota vehicles.

I've always liked these and have been interested in likely picking up a hatchback in the near future. If I were to ever pick up a new(ish - depending on when/if I decide) car, this would probably be it.

And to those who claim Toyota only makes boring products, keep in mind these vehicles, all developed by Toyota, are being produced.
  • BreezeFrees triplets
  • Toyota SF-R
  • Upcoming Supra
  • Lexus RC F
  • Lexus GS F
  • Lexus LC, upcoming Lexus LC F
  • Toyota Yaris GRMN
  • A slew of other GRMN sports-oriented cars not yet unveiled.
As well as:
  • TS050
  • Yaris WRC
  • GT86 GT300
  • Prius GT300
  • Camry NASCAR
  • Supra NASCAR
  • Supra Gazoo Racing Prototype, likely a Supra GT500 to follow.
  • Avenis BTCC
  • Lexus LC GT500
  • Lexus RC F GT500
  • Lexus RC F GT3
Based on this promising list of cars, it is highly unlikely Toyota will retire from being featured in video games.

Their street cars, at least in Canada, are incredibly boring.

I'm in the market for a new compact/midsize car, so I'll probably give the new Corolla a shot. The 2018 was extremely disappointing when I test drove it earlier this year and the Camry isn't available with 3 pedals.

The new Corolla hatchback is fantastic and a car I'd highly recommend to people. Got to experience both transmissions and I was very impressed with the CVT on it. The biggest plus with the Corolla Hatch's CVT is that it has a launch gear, which makes a huge difference during acceleration. I'll be honest and admit I'm not a great manual driver (still trying to improve), but I was able to drive the 6-speed well enough that I would consider getting one as my first manual daily driver if I was in the market.

Last word about the dead and off topic horse that is Toyota and video games; it's obvious that Toyota has an exclusitivity deal in place with PD and they are too chicken **** to come out and say it, which at least EA had the decency to do when they locked up the Porsche rights.

Then again, Japanese companies are well known for shooting themselves in the foot with asinine, ass backwards business logic.

And to those who claim Toyota only makes boring products, keep in mind these vehicles, all developed by Toyota, are being produced.
  • BreezeFrees triplets
  • Toyota SF-R
  • Upcoming Supra
  • Lexus RC F
  • Lexus GS F
  • Lexus LC, upcoming Lexus LC F
  • Toyota Yaris GRMN
  • A slew of other GRMN sports-oriented cars not yet unveiled.
As well as:
  • TS050
  • Yaris WRC
  • GT86 GT300
  • Prius GT300
  • Camry NASCAR
  • Supra NASCAR
  • Supra Gazoo Racing Prototype, likely a Supra GT500 to follow.
  • Avenis BTCC
  • Lexus LC GT500
  • Lexus RC F GT500
  • Lexus RC F GT3
Based on this promising list of cars, it is highly unlikely Toyota will retire from being featured in video games.
Also Camry V8 Touring Cars in New Zealand. 👍

I took my driving test with an auto because I knew my first car would be an EV, and I would never need to drive a manual. I like driving a manual sometimes in GT and other sim racers. But in real life, it’s not fun at all in my opinion. Unless you only ever drive on twisty roads with no traffic. And even if it was fun to use it in traffic, which is where we drive most of the time, manuals are still on the way out for many reasons. They don’t have an efficiency advantage any more, they don’t work well with modern adaptive cruise control systems. They’re not necessary for hybrids or EVs (you could do a 2 speed box in an EV but even then it would be a paddle shift auto). But you will always be able to drive one in GT.

4310.jpg

Yes lad?

Back