TVR Griffith : 200mph,1200 kg and 0–60mph in less then 4 secs

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 255 comments
I had heard in the past that certain TVRs were best described as a British Viper in their build, power, and rawness. The teaser pic to me, definitely has some of the new Viper flair to it, so I'm imaging that old description may still be suited.

TVR to unveil new car at the Goodwood Revival in September
TVR-New-01.jpeg

The iconic British sports car maker, TVR, is delighted to announce that it will be unveiling its eagerly awaited new sports car to the public at the Goodwood Revival on 8–10 September, 2017.

Created in conjunction with Gordon Murray Design, the 1200 kg car promises incredible 200mph performance and 0–60mph in less than 4 seconds. With the special launch edition car being offered at under £90,000, anticipation and demand for the 400BHP per tonne, five-litre, Cosworth developed V8-powered car is already at fever-pitch.

The unveiling of the car at the Goodwood Revival is a first for the world-renowned Sussex-based event. The new car will go on display in the ‘Earls Court’ building at the Revival, and will be showcased at the centre of a display which features a number of older, heritage TVRs, in celebration of the British marque’s 70th anniversary.

Speaking of the planned public launch, Les Edgar, Chairman of TVR said: “We are incredibly excited to be unveiling the new car at the Goodwood Revival. It’s the first time a global launch of a new car has occurred at the event, and it seems an entirely appropriate place for us to do it, with the marque’s motorsport heritage and an enthusiastic audience of dedicated car fans – and in our 70th anniversary year. After a series of secret private viewings organised for the benefit of existing customers for the new car, we know that we have a surefire hit on our hands, and very much look forward to seeing the public reaction in September.”

Speaking on behalf of the Revival, Lord March said: “We are delighted that TVR will feature so strongly over the Revival weekend this year. It is entirely fitting that TVR, as such an iconic British marque, should unveil what will be a very exciting entrant to the global sports car market at our iconic British event and I very much look forward to welcoming them to the Revival in September”.

TVR has held back a small allocation of the 500 Launch Edition cars for the public unveiling, so will soon close the order book, before re-opening it on the 8th September.
https://tvr.co.uk/noise/goodwood-unveil

Would be nice if the Speed 12 also made it to Goodwood, and perhaps a Typhon, though I'm not sure the latter actually exists in its originally-intended form any more.

Great to hear, I forgot it was revived, now that it's this serious I'm even more excited to see what it looks like. Love how it's an entire British effort.

Seems TVR also fell victim to the recent automotive industry "genericness" and restriction crisis. I understand how troublesome, expensive and also restrictive (due to emission laws) making your own engine can be. But a Ford-sourced V8?

I'm also afraid of seeing a TVR with airbags, TCS and ABS...

Seems TVR also fell victim to the recent automotive industry "genericness" and restriction crisis. I understand how troublesome, expensive and also restrictive (due to emission laws) making your own engine can be. But a Ford-sourced V8?

TVR being TVR, I'm sure they'll have an option to disable TCS and ABS. Hopefully they put in the GT350's V8 in but I don't think that is the case.

TVR being TVR, I'm sure they'll have an option to disable TCS and ABS. Hopefully they put in the GT350's V8 in but I don't think that is the case.

Nope: that'd be a 5.2L (and I imagine it'd bump up the price quite a lot).

The 5.0L is common as mud in comparison, and it's probably cheaper for Cosworth to unlock a few dozen ponies.

I really hope the styling hasn't been toned down as some of the teasers seem to suggest. Looks like they might be taking a totally different direction with TVR in this generation rather than the alien looking stuff.

Would be nice if the Speed 12 also made it to Goodwood, and perhaps a Typhon, though I'm not sure the latter actually exists in its originally-intended form any more.

The Typhon's do exist, I think there are only like 3 in existence.

Where are you getting the idea that it will be a Ford engine?

Also earlier in this thread, there was a video of Cosworth testing an engine on one of their rigs, eagle-eyed spotters might be able to identify the engine:

Going by the valve covers alone, I'd say it is the Coyote.

Okay thanks, because the cosworth website says they're developing an engine in house for the car which made me think it was of their own creation. But I suppose it's cheaper to just do this and then rework it.

Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of a big V8 , I've had a few over the years , S3 Land Rover (leaf springs , drum brakes and no servo for added scariness) and a shed built mgbv8 amongst others .
But ...
What's the odds on one of the new breed of V6 turbos . Good power to weight and lower emissions ?

I really hope the styling hasn't been toned down as some of the teasers seem to suggest. Looks like they might be taking a totally different direction with TVR in this generation rather than the alien looking stuff.

The Typhon's do exist, I think there are only like 3 in existence.

I was under the impression those are a bit of a hotch-potch that have various mechanicals, and don't make the power of the "original" one, or how it was intended at least. I will go read up :)

Up until this century, wasn't basically every engine in a TVR either Ford V6 or a Rover V8? What's the issue with sourcing the Coyote V8?

Up until this century, wasn't basically every engine in a TVR either Ford V6 or a Rover V8? What's the issue with sourcing the Coyote V8?

TVR made their own engines for quite a long time (Speed Six). Nothing wrong with sourcing something more reliable and modern though.

Waiting for a new TVR is like waiting for a new GT! Thing is, these days I can only afford the new game. :grumpy: I really hope it gets a run up the hill at Goodwood.

Yeah my bad!

My bad too. Festival of Speed is June 29 - July 2, Revival is September 8 - 10. I'm presuming a static display including TVRs through the ages.

Still, can't wait to see it in the plastic. I think there's room in the market for something raw and back-to-basics that also has some comfort and practicality and could be used daily.

It feels good to know that TVR is no longer just a name in some Russian guy's investment portfolio, and there's definitely a market for sports cars that won't take all the challenge out of hard driving away from the driver. I am a little concerned that they seem to be dead set on doing one-make racing and a Le Mans entry so soon, but I guess if they have the money to throw at it then hey.

Back