OWS - Now Saturday morning and Wednesday evening. Casual and beginner racers wanted!Open 

• Thread starter Benny44
  • 565 comments
@permaculture hope you're having fun down there! As far as tuning, I didn't mean NO tuning. I just meant no changing your tuning between races to suit dirt, oval - just use the car ya brung kinda thing, Top Gear style. But definitely tune it to your liking first

@PapaGnr yeah, that's what I kinda thought about BoP. I agree with the hp/weight thing. And I'm gonna be honest- it's not that hard, because almost no matter what you pick, it'll work. I wonder if a randomizer for hp and weight might be a fun set of races sometime

@Mooseldorf even though it's not quick, that would be a joy to drive

I'd like to suggest at least one race sometime, cockpit view only, no HUD.
Can I ask why ? I assume you mean: everyone is forced to use the same camera and no one is allowed to use any indicators.

Personally I would just skip a race like that but I am curious what the appeal is

So after many hours this week of tuning and testing cars for this weekends races it turns out I won’t be able to join the races. Although it’s been a massive waste of time I have really enjoyed the process of tuning different cars to the regulations and hot lapping them to see which is the best and I am very much looking forward to doing it again next week, hopefully next time with the end result of taking part in the races. I hope you guys have some great races this weekend and I am looking forward to seeing the pictures.

So after many hours this week of tuning and testing cars for this weekends races it turns out I won’t be able to join the races. Although it’s been a massive waste of time I have really enjoyed the process of tuning different cars to the regulations and hot lapping them to see which is the best and I am very much looking forward to doing it again next week, hopefully next time with the end result of taking part in the races. I hope you guys have some great races this weekend and I am looking forward to seeing the pictures.
Sorry you can't make it. :( Yes, half the fun anymore is trying to make cars fit the regulations. Some I could get the weight down & others not quite. Hope to see you next weekend.

How many do you think will actually show up ?
I am planning on joining tomorrow🤞 and looking forward to it.
I've also been practicing and came to the realisation that I can't work out how to do the crest of the hill without stacking it, so should be fun,🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
As far as cockpit view, I've found it improves the immersion.
I switched from chase view to cockpit earlier in the year and have really been enjoying it.
When I posted, I had just finished the sardegna 800 with no hud and was enjoying how beautiful the scenery is without the distractions and thought about sharing with others.
Could start with a short sprint without stops and gradually progress to longer where you need to watch the dashboard and feel the tyres.
Just an idea

How many do you think will actually show up ?
I think a few. My money would be on 4 new ones, but that's a guess.

I am planning on joining tomorrow🤞 and looking forward to it.
I've also been practicing and came to the realisation that I can't work out how to do the crest of the hill without stacking it, so should be fun,🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
As far as cockpit view, I've found it improves the immersion.
I switched from chase view to cockpit earlier in the year and have really been enjoying it.
When I posted, I had just finished the sardegna 800 with no hud and was enjoying how beautiful the scenery is without the distractions and thought about sharing with others.
Could start with a short sprint without stops and gradually progress to longer where you need to watch the dashboard and feel the tyres.
Just an idea
I've used cockpit a fair amount. I think it's an excellent way to play. But....I don't think forcing it is a good way. I've seen some leagues/races that do it though. I'll just never do it in one of my rooms. The other thing to consider are setups people have. When I had a wheel, I really enjoyed cockpit view. Now I use front bumper with the controller

I think a few. My money would be on 4 new ones, but that's a guess.

I've used cockpit a fair amount. I think it's an excellent way to play. But....I don't think forcing it is a good way. I've seen some leagues/races that do it though. I'll just never do it in one of my rooms. The other thing to consider are setups people have. When I had a wheel, I really enjoyed cockpit view. Now I use front bumper with the controller
i may not make it tomorrow morning, I am sorry to report. Going to try and see if there’s a spot in the house for the PlayStation that is conducive to not waking up the girlfriend… but also said PlayStation is being used as a dvd player for a binge-watch lmao.

that said I may try and hop onto the later one, if I can’t sort something out.

And re: the views I also like to switch occasionally - during the rain race I was getting a thrill out of trying to see through the roadster’s wiperless windshield … actually these are the only online races I feel comfortable enough to put that view on at all! I think we all get used to the one that causes the least “racing incidents”, and to me that’s the critical thing

Fr sent (bic44)
Anyway I can get the discord link messaged to me?
I am US PST I find myself waking up in the middle of the night so why not?

i may not make it tomorrow morning, I am sorry to report. Going to try and see if there’s a spot in the house for the PlayStation that is conducive to not waking up the girlfriend… but also said PlayStation is being used as a dvd player for a binge-watch lmao.

that said I may try and hop onto the later one, if I can’t sort something out.

And re: the views I also like to switch occasionally - during the rain race I was getting a thrill out of trying to see through the roadster’s wiperless windshield … actually these are the only online races I feel comfortable enough to put that view on at all! I think we all get used to the one that causes the least “racing incidents”, and to me that’s the critical thing
Sorry to hear you may be AWOL tomorrow. :grumpy: Don't you still have your PS4 to watch movies on? Hope you do make it, especially for the Enduro.

I've only used cockpit view only a few times. I remember doing a 4 hour endurance race for the Miata at the Green Hell, using cockpit view. I used to use chase cam, but switched to roof view, as I find I can see the corners better & see whether there are cars beside me. Old eyes aren't that good anymore. ;)

Amazing final race everyone! That was good fun. 7.2 seconds between first and last AFTER over 100 laps and multiple pit stops. All of us spent time in first. I pushed it near the end, and I think if I had just pitted one more time, it may have been even closer since I ran out of fuel and was lagging behind when we crossed the finish line. Looking forward to @permaculture's excellent photography skills later!

So, next week - let's get this done right away. Back to Alsace test course. 1700 lb (771.1kg) weight minimum, and 200hp. No race cars. Same settings with 30x fuel and 20x tire wear. Comfort tires of your choosing. 45 minutes, no qualifying. This will start at 6am ET.

Before that, we will do something a bit different. 250hp, 2000lb (907kg) minimum. Sport soft tires. And 1 lap around Nurburgring, 3 laps around Monza, and 2 laps around Sarthe. A little twist that won't apply to randoms that join - winner has to run sport hard tires next race. Just for fun. This obviously won't apply to the main event!

1st races a '54 SL. Stock lbs but 250hp. I can't bring myself to cut it up just to save a few lbs. It does have a transmission swap. I will run SH if I win Nurburgring.

Mains: A '69 Z bone stock. Again, can't bring myself to cut it up to make lbs.

To me, it's more about the fun of being with friends than winning.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you may be AWOL tomorrow. :grumpy: Don't you still have your PS4 to watch movies on? Hope you do make it, especially for the Enduro.

I've only used cockpit view only a few times. I remember doing a 4 hour endurance race for the Miata at the Green Hell, using cockpit view. I used to use chase cam, but switched to roof view, as I find I can see the corners better & see whether there are cars beside me. Old eyes aren't that good anymore. ;)
i do have the PS4... but unfortunately Real World Farm Simulator took precedence yesterday and it did not get set up. hey @Benny44 idk what scale that game is but i imagine you'd be disappointed how much time 0.03 acres of cityfolk land takes to prepare!

Last edited:
1st races a '54 SL. Stock lbs but 250hp. I can't bring myself to cut it up just to save a few lbs. It does have a transmission swap. I will run SH if I win Nurburgring.

Mains: A '69 Z bone stock. Again, can't bring myself to cut it up to make lbs.

To me, it's more about the fun of being with friends than winning.
I hear you about chopping up cars, but I usually buy a spare, to keep it stock. With the way @Benny44 sets up our races, I find that more than 1 duplicate is required.

Great race. That last one especially was intense. There were apparently a couple issues though, with incidents. Makes me miss when there were just 4 or 5 of us. But next week is going to be friends only, there's more than enough.

Rockin Racer and @SnakeEyes427 talked about dirty racers. I'd like to know, because if anyone is hitting someone on purpose, I have no issue kicking them. Especially if it was done more than once.

The plan next week is to go back to maybe even slower cars. Might prevent accidents and issues. Or at least make it easy to spot them. I didn't save the replay, so if there's a way to share that on PS, I'd love to have a look

Edit - no need to send me the clip of me flying into the first chicane in Monza and wrecking several people 🤣. Also, Nurburgring was a bit crash-y and wild. I bumped a few people

Last edited:
...... I didn't save the replay, so if there's a way to share that on PS, I'd love to have a look
To watch a friend's replay, go to "my page" (upper left), friends (in this case me), user page, gallery & then replays. You can share replays to friends only or to the public. Public replays are located in the showcase section. Btw, @permaculture has a few shared replays. 👍

Edit, I shared all 4 replays.

Last edited:
This race was on steroids. So many people of a sudden. Monza first corner was a mess (Benny : -), but PapaGnr let me win that race :-)

Maybe the idea of the league was not clear to everyone? Also the more people, the more close racing you get. And with the lagging, this can result in unwanted collisions. In the replay I saw some situations that were maybe to aggressive?

Me personally did drove some lonely races. Not much fights on the track.

Also someone told that I hit him/her. When was that exactly?

This race was on steroids. So many people of a sudden. Monza first corner was a mess (Benny : -), but PapaGnr let me win that race :-)

Maybe the idea of the league was not clear to everyone? Also the more people, the more close racing you get. And with the lagging, this can result in unwanted collisions. In the replay I saw some situations that were maybe to aggressive?

Me personally did drove some lonely races. Not much fights on the track.

Also someone told that I hit him/her. When was that exactly?
Agreed, there were a lot of newbies to our races. Not sure how many @Benny44 knew.

Yes, it seemed that you & I had the best prepared cars & we were close. After the Ring I asked Benny if I should switch tires, coz I knew that any winner needed to switch to hards, but he said no. You might have won Le Mans, because we were very close. Good clean races between you & I. I knew Monza 1st corner was going to be bad. I tried to let everyone by & had to pass a lot of cars & by then you were gone. Nice win. 👍

Here's photos of the "Ring". I can't believe there were 12 cars on the start grid. Whatever you did @Benny44, we had a crowd. Lots of elbowing going on & off-roading.

Attachments

• Gran Turismo® 7_20230521092509.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230521092509.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 4
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230521092524.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230521092524.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230521092541.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230521092541.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230521092609.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230521092609.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230521092623.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230521092623.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230521092636.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230521092636.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230521092649.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230521092649.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 4
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230521092705.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230521092705.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230521092715.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230521092715.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230521092727.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230521092727.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 4
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230521092739.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230521092739.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 4
My problem was my car. That thing was not stable at all. It was tuned for a much lower PP, then when I bumped up the power and made it lighter, it was a bit insane. But also very quick. I had the feeling I had the fastest car out there, but it was hard to tame, especially in a crowd. Those straights at Sarthe I was blowing by everyone on them. But under braking it became unstable. Nurburgring was the worst for me. I would crash, gain 5-10 seconds on the leader, then crash again.

I'm hoping I didn't ruin anyone's race. I pulled off when I hit someone (except at Alsace, but Subaru hit a barrier and came to a dead stop about 2 feet in front of me). I actually got a clean race bonus at Alsace, which made for a nice little payday. Couldn't touch you though @PapaGnr . @Vangeels I passed you once with about 8 minutes left, but that was the closest I came to second. Nice racing by both of you!

I knew most everyone, except the first three races. There were 3 or 4 randoms. I think they caused the bulk of the damage. One of them ran me off the road and didn't slow down. Not sure it was intentional, but it sorta looked like it. That's why next week it's friends only. And I'll drive a more stable car

loved peering into the last race and seeing you guys running 1/2/3 late into the night! truly sorry i missed it... i turned on the ps4 to see how long it would take to download gt7 this morning, and the answer was 'way too long'!

i still haven't set up one of those cars for the race this afternoon, but it looked like that GTS treated you well @PapaGnr

Last edited:
Agreed, there were a lot of newbies to our races. Not sure how many @Benny44 knew.

Yes, it seemed that you & I had the best prepared cars & we were close. After the Ring I asked Benny if I should switch tires, coz I knew that any winner needed to switch to hards, but he said no. You might have won Le Mans, because we were very close. Good clean races between you & I. I knew Monza 1st corner was going to be bad. I tried to let everyone by & had to pass a lot of cars & by then you were gone. Nice win. 👍
Yes I saw it on the replay (I thought you hit me in that first corner : -), that you did it very slowly. Else you probably had won that one too. You seems a lot faster.
It was fun though :-)

A little teaser about next week. Haven't got the details worked out yet, but I'm working on it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230521-132634_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20230521-132634_Opera.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20230521-132547_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20230521-132547_Opera.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 3
My problem was my car. That thing was not stable at all. It was tuned for a much lower PP, then when I bumped up the power and made it lighter, it was a bit insane. But also very quick. I had the feeling I had the fastest car out there, but it was hard to tame, especially in a crowd. Those straights at Sarthe I was blowing by everyone on them. But under braking it became unstable. Nurburgring was the worst for me. I would crash, gain 5-10 seconds on the leader, then crash again.

I'm hoping I didn't ruin anyone's race. I pulled off when I hit someone (except at Alsace, but Subaru hit a barrier and came to a dead stop about 2 feet in front of me). I actually got a clean race bonus at Alsace, which made for a nice little payday. Couldn't touch you though @PapaGnr . @Vangeels I passed you once with about 8 minutes left, but that was the closest I came to second. Nice racing by both of you!

I knew most everyone, except the first three races. There were 3 or 4 randoms. I think they caused the bulk of the damage. One of them ran me off the road and didn't slow down. Not sure it was intentional, but it sorta looked like it. That's why next week it's friends only. And I'll drive a more stable car
I had a problem with the Stratos at the Ring during testing with @permaculture. He had the Miura & was super fast. I checked @ Praiano's tunes & used part of them to calm that little beast down. I even used some of his tune for the Miura that I used at Monza.

I haven't watched all the replays for photo ops yet, but from what I saw at the Ring, some contact may have been that big bugaboo, lag.

More to watch & pics to follow.

Last edited:
Yes I saw it on the replay (I thought you hit me in that first corner : -), that you did it very slowly. Else you probably had won that one too. You seems a lot faster.
It was fun though :-)
I tried my darndest not to hit you, but I knew trouble was coming from behind. I almost pulled over to let the pack by. With that many in the room & some strangers, maybe we should have used the no chicane track. All in all, a good win for you, although 1 more lap?

Last edited:
Back