France protecting itself
Prussia (as von Bismarck)'s swollen gut leaning on central Europe
Austria (as Kaiser Franz Josef) keeping a hand on its southern territories
Spain indifferent
Russia with an empty sack, ready to pick off some extra territory

This was done at around the time of the Franco-Prussian war, 1870-71

Fast-forward to 1914...

roads_satiremaps (1).jpg

These "personification" maps were quite in vogue from the late 1800s to the early 1900s, there are many versions of them and each tells a nice story of Europe seen through each artist's eyes.

Easy to digest Euler diagram of many supranational political bodies.

In particular a lot of EU hate actually comes from Council of Europe action, like the European Charter of Human Rights. That's not an EU thing.

ljbig9rcl0ly.png

I think the only thing missing is that Kazakhstan and Israel are in UEFA for footballing purposes...

Easy to digest Euler diagram of many supranational political bodies.

In particular a lot of EU hate actually comes from Council of Europe action, like the European Charter of Human Rights. That's not an EU thing.

ljbig9rcl0ly.png

I think the only thing missing is that Kazakhstan and Israel are in UEFA for footballing purposes...
Kazakhstan should be in the Eurasian Customs Union, along with Russia, Belarus and Armenia. And also Kyrgyzstan, but it's too far from Europe already.

...Found this while I was searching for a word's meaning for my translation project.

img1.daumcdn.net.png

1st panel: When I do it, it's romantic. (on the buildings: 1: the son inheriting his father's business, 2: the son inheriting the church from his father the pastor)
2nd panel: When someone else does it, it's immoral.
3rd panel: during the holidays, it's helping out "your neighbours". (on the buildings: Old-Age home, Orphanage/ on the box: ramen)
4th panel: during normal times, it's Populism. (on the sash: "Increase welfare")

Back