The Political Cartoon/Image/Meme Thread

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 12,840 comments
suparcallous.JPG

Now I have the song stuck in my head :)

Are people saying they aren't ***holes or that it's just insensitive language to use?

Are people saying they aren't ***holes or that it's just insensitive language to use?
Listening carefully to NPR yesterday, it's really neither. For instance, Haiti actually is a **** hole, and presidents such as Nixon and Johnson were very well known for their salty language. The situation is that Trump is ipso facto identified as a racist. IMO he's not, but so enjoys tweaking the liberals and MSM media that he's willing to run that gauntlet. IMO he does this deliberately and diligently to advance his political agenda.

Listening carefully to NPR yesterday, it's really neither.
So the meme is kinda BS really. Thanks for clearing that up.
The situation is that Trump is ipso facto identified as a racist. IMO he's not, but so enjoys tweaking the liberals and MSM media that he's willing to run that gauntlet.
If so, the strategy appears to be "working" if these stats are anything to go by.

So the meme is kinda BS really. Thanks for clearing that up.

If so, the strategy appears to be "working" if these stats are anything to go by.
The stats are behind a paywall. And unless he's saying those countries are 🤬 because of the colour of the people's skin, there's nothing racist about the comments regardless of what polls say about them. Haiti isn't a race. Just another example of tweaking the MSM.

The stats are behind a paywall. And unless he's saying those countries are 🤬 because of the colour of the people's skin, there's nothing racist about the comments regardless of what polls say about them. Haiti isn't a race. Just another example of tweaking the MSM.

I don't follow trump closely enough to say he's a rascist but I think we need to look at rascism as the media portrays it more as a spectrum.

I have familymembers who outright say they have an issue with coloured people entering our country but I also have people who say not everyone should be allowed and then susbsequently name only countries of people with a non-white skincolour. If people call them rascist they deny this (they have plausible deniability) and say it's because of our cultures beeing to diffrent. Weird how it's allways the cultures of coloured people that are to diffrent...

I think the accusations of trump are more inline of this grey area. He doesn't say outright rascist things but when he makes remarks like this it just happens to allways be for people with diffrent skincolours. The mainstream media jumps the boat assuming this is inspired by rascist sentiment. (Which could be a logical fallacy where they assume correlation is causation or how do they say this in english?)

Also calling someone a rascist doesn't help anyone as it's just a conversationstopper these days. I advice anyone who wants a descent discussion (anytime) about this subject to not call someone a rascist.

And the general public if the stats are anything to go by. As I posted above, they support @Dotini's hypothesis. Perhaps you should direct your objections at the poll respondents rather than the media that report them or posters on internet forums who link to those claims. The text of the article largely supports what @Mr Tree says about grey areas and perceptions held by certain demographics.

Last edited:
And the general public if the stats are anything to go by. As I posted above, they support @Dotini's hypothesis. Perhaps you should direct your objections at the poll respondents rather than the media that report them or posters on internet forums who link to those claims. The text of the article largely supports what @Mr Tree says about grey areas and perceptions held by certain demographics.
A responsible media would be a able to differentiate between real racism and leaping to false conclusions for clicks and views.

A responsible media would be a able to differentiate between real racism and leaping to false conclusions for clicks and views.
They won't get many clicks and views behind a paywall. And given that the title of the article isn't "Trump is racist" but "Most Americans considered Trump’s ‘****hole’ comments racist" then a responsible reader would be able to differentiate between the messenger and the message.

WaPo
What this suggests is that views of Trump’s comments largely overlapped with people’s existing views of Trump. Perhaps that’s because those who viewed him as showing less respect to people of color also then were less charitable in their interpretation of his comments; perhaps it’s because the comments were hard to interpret in a more charitable way.

It also suggests that, barring Trump explicitly endorsing Nazism or white supremacy, interpretation of racially loaded comments by the president will continue to be seen through people’s existing lenses of his attitudes toward race.

Last edited:
Back