PimRScb.jpg

LWcVAJa.jpg

TFnFFEf.jpg

Jb38PH8.jpg

uv08LBn.jpg

QQzPecg.jpg

q4AmEzm.jpg

Another image from the depths of history:

I can't give you details on the title of the work or the name of the artist but this is a contemporary work from the 1650s mocking Oliver Cromwell (1599-1658).

Oliver Cromwell was instrumental in the overthrow and execution of Charles I in 1649 and as "Lord Protector" was the leader for life of the English Commonwealth. Despite his placing as an English republican today, Cromwell actually was less focused on republican activities or government reform and more interested in religious matters. He wasn't coronated per se but he was invested as Lord Protector on two occasions with the second investiture being much more grand and regnal than the first. It is also well known that he insisted on being addressed as "your Highness". He was actually offered the throne in 1657 but ultimately turned it down.

These trappings led his critics to depict him as a usurper of royal power, a hypocrite no better than the monarch whom he had helped to execute. In the image you can see the execution of Charles I in the background with Cromwell having already taken the clothings, crown and regalia of the deposed monarch.

lossy-page1-699px-Cromwell_as_a_usurper.tiff.jpg

Last edited:
Back