The quest begins.....

• Thread starter RsGt
  • 8 comments
Well, having spent two great months of owning GT3, and having completed arcade mode, the TT's and golding my licenses, there's nothing left to do but race. Having read a few of the posts on this board, I thought I'd give myself something to aim for, so I've decided that I want to try and complete the game leaving myself as many virgin cars as I possibly can. This means that I'll only be racing with bought cars wherever possible, and if I do have to use a prize car along the way, I must go back and win it again before the last series. Also, I want to try and keep a 100% win ratio, and get as many models as I can (I'm not too fussed about colour combos.)

So it was with that in mind that I prized the 16,900 credits from my sweaty little hand, and went out and bought my first ever car in GT3: the 89 MX5 in sort of dark blue ish. Hurrah, I thought as I trundled off to do the Roadster enduro, rag top racing at it's finest. Well, not quite.

You see, the problem is this damned tire wear thing. I haven't experienced that before, and so when my front right tire was red after the fourth lap, and I was spinning out left right and centre, spirits were what you might term "dampened". After a swift reset, I thought about a change of tactics. If I could get some new tires on the rag top, I might stand a chance of actually staying on the track long enough to actually pass someone, and this was my reason for my first ever visit to the Sunday cup. 5 wins later (5 x 1000Cr = 1 set sports tires + 1 oil change), and I was ready to rock and roll. Apricot Hill, here I come.

Didn't bother to qualify, and so after the first couple of laps, the 1.8i (Here after referred to as "the hare") had disappeared into the sunset, and I was running 3rd. To my amazement, my tires were only just starting to turn greeny-yellow and so I settled in for the rest of the race.

The hare pitted on lap 3, and I tasted the lead in an enduro for the first time. Of course, it didn't last long as of course the hare came, err, haring past me on lap 5 but the tires were looking good, and at least I had a lead over the 3rd placed MX5.

Lap 6 saw me re-gain my lead as the hare dived into the pits again, and this time I managed to put quite some distance between our two cars before he came back out. Of course he gobbled that up in no time at all, and was right behind me by the end of lap 7.

Lap 8 saw most of the pack pit, with one straggler pitting on lap 9, so I took my opportunity and went in for new boots on lap 10. I thought I'd have had plenty of time to get back out again in front of the hare (with him pitting on lap 9), but just as I was coming out of the pits guess who I clipped me on the curve before turn 1? Arse.

Lap 12 saw the hare pit once more, and the lead was mine again, only this time it proved to be for good. From here on in it was just a case of staying on the track, and keeping my head down.

And so it proved to be for pretty much the rest of the race, I caught the last placed car on about lap 34ish, but ended up lapping him while he was in the pits. The second to last car however, was slightly different. Caught him with two laps to go, just before the hairpin and seeing as my tires were starting to get a little bit ropey by then braked a bit too early and lost a lot of momentum. The damned AI however, had no such problems, and had no qualms at all about simply driving into the back of my car, spinning me right round before driving off into the distance. Fortunately, I was so far in front that it didn't matter, but I was a little upset anyhow. Guess I'm going to have to get used to the AI driving blind as far as I'm concerned eh?

So the race was won with a margin of 1:00.003, and I was quite pleased with myself, all that remained now was which prize car I was going to get given for all my hard work. Surely it would be too much to ask to get the formula car on my first try?

Well, yes. Actually it would. Still, never mind, there are two MX5's in the list that are better than the one you're driving, so I'll settle for one of those.

No actually, you won't. You'll get given ANOTHER f'in 89 rag top, only this one will have less HP, and come in a garish yellow. Arse.

Still the 100,000 credits will come in handy.

Cheers,

Rich.

Hey, great writeup, Rich! Sounds like you've set yourself an interesting goal. Enjoy the journey and congrats on completing all the "corollary" stuff first.

If I may make a suggestion: don't waste the money on anything less than racing tires. Even T2 Super Slicks, which are the cheapest at about 10kcr, have twice the life and much more traction than the Sport tires. They will improve your times in any car dramatically. The more expensive racing tires are even stickier but have increasingly shorter life spans.

Again, great work and keep us up to date with more writeups!

Thanks for the tip Neon Duke, I'll bear that in mind, however last night I just wanted to get into the enduro as quick as I could, and I couldn't really be arsed to do another 5 races round super speedway:eek: :eek:

However, I now have 100,000 Cr sitting in the bank, and I have a little bit of a dilema. Having raced with the MS Elise and the RUF RGT on the TT's, I quite fancy one of these two to blast through the early races. Question is, do I take the Elise now, or do another roadster enduro and go for the RUF????

Of course, the lure of a formular car is quite a factor, not that I'll use it till I have to, but it would be nice to play with in the mean time........ (He says, knowing full well I'll get given another MX5!)

Ah well, sod it, I quite like Apricot Hill anyway.................

Cheers,

Rich.

Well, you eventually need an Elise later in the game. The RGT is quite nice, too. However, I think I would take the 3400s instead. It's cheaper, it qualifies for a lot of specialty races, and it's nice to drive. Plus it won't be quite the blowout weapon that the RGT will be in the earlier days.

I too will echo Neon_Duke's thoughts. Pick the Elise, as it is a formidable car. One tat I think may be able to the PD Cup. However , if you decide to go for a RUF, the 3400s is the ticket as it qualifies for more races.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Till later,

AO

AO

How do y'all?

Well, took Neon_duke's advice and got the 3400's. Nice car, but felt a little guilty about using it too much in the beginner league.

And once the guilt passed, took it out and destroyed the field. Muhahahahaha.... :mischievous:

Almost finished beginner league this weekend. All gold apart from the last race in the Altezza race (more about this in a second), the Yaris race, the Beetle cup and the GT World champs.

All cars used in the races were bought as per my self imposed guidelines, and so far the cars in my garage (With mileage on) are:-

Mazda MX5 89 (J) (FR Chall, 80's cup, Clubman cup, Sunday cup)
Acura Integra Type R (FF Chall, Stars & Stripes (Much fun here), Type R meet)
Evo VII TME Stripe (4WD chall, Turbo cup, Evo meet)
RUF 3400s (Spider cup, NA sports cup (Ahem. A tad OTT here.))
Cuore TRxx Ar (LW cup)
Merc CLK55 (Silver Arrow)
Audi TT 1.8 Q (Audi TT race)
Altezza RS200 (Altezza race)

Okay, so some of the cars are more than a touch excessive, but hey, I'll make it fair on the AI on my next time round. For the time being, I just wanna get to 100%.

Had great fun in the stars and stripes in the teg, started to loath the damned Cobra, especially at Seattle, but finished him off in the end. Also enjoyed the Evo. Great car.

Also discovered something I'd read on one of the boards about the AI adding parts during a series race. Was doing the Altezza race, and tested it once with a completly standard car, only to find that it wasn't nearly quick enough (Stands a fair chance that this is just down to my bad driving, but we'll gloss over that shall we?). I ended up putting a racing exhaust and a stage 1 turbo on it, and took it out. Race 1 at midfield was a breeze, and Tokyo and deep forrest quickly fell, but I noticed that at SSR5 the AI was keeping pace on the straights, and at Seattle I wasn't as quick on the straights as the AI. What gives? This is a royal pain in the arse now, cause I can't go back and add extra parts without quitting the championship. Guess I'll just have to spend a couple of laps blocking and looking in my mirrors at Seattle. Arse.

I do have a couple of questions following my racing weekend, firstly, what's the difference between the 2 Evo TME's in the line up? Both have the same HP and weight. Can't figure it out, unless it's just the fact that one has a stripe and the other doesn't. Took the one with the stripe cause it looked cool. :P

Secondly, Why can I not buy a mini? God damn it, I wanted to race the LW cup in a mini, but I can't buy one! Arse. :mad:

Edit : Forgot to add that I aquired a pink Yaris at some stage....... Mighty happy, it rocks! :)

Cheers,

Rich.

Yeah, keep us posted. If you get any interesting races, do a "color commentary" writeup! And give details about settings, tuning, etc.

The Altezza series is the first one in which I really noticed The Boost. What I do now is buy an extra power upgrade, but don't install it until I see the AI boost kick in.

Sounds like you're making great progress, have fun!

Back