The Race Cars of Gran Turismo 2

• Thread starter Gerarghini
  • 127 comments
Unfortunately, the only way to get this car would be to Gameshark. The body was originally planned to be the Racing Modification for the Acura NSX '93 but was scrapped. NTSC versions can acquire the red, "localized" version and PAL copies can acquire an orange version with correct Honda branding. It is not available for NTSC-J copies unfortunately.

The PAL one still has Acura branding, but it can be changed to red by inputting the GameShark command 801cd58c 0062. ;)

Still waiting for more, bub!

I found some more cars!
gt2rmods.jpg

Citroen Saxo Kit Car

Real life specs:
Power: 220 PS (217 HP)
Weight: 890 kg

Toyota Celica Turbo 4WD (Gr. A)

Real Life Specs
Power: 299 PS (294 HP)
Weight: 1120 kg

Renault Maxi Mégane
Power: 280 PS (276 HP)
Weight: 960 kg

Toyota Celica GT-Four [ST205] Rally Car (Gr. A)

Real Life Specs:
Power: 300 PS (295 HP)
Weight: 1200 kg

To be edited later

The PAL one still has Acura branding, but it can be changed to red by inputting the GameShark command 801cd58c 0062. ;)

Still waiting for more, bub!
I'll be sure to change it then :lol:

Also to anyone wondering, I've finally got more time to be able to add in a lot of things. I've already added two new cars and will be adding at least five today.

Thanks for your patience 👍

I'll be sure to change it then :lol:

Also to anyone wondering, I've finally got more time to be able to add in a lot of things. I've already added two new cars and will be adding at least five today.

Thanks for your patience 👍
You should add also the following cars:

Citroen Saxo Kit Car (from Citroen Saxo VTS)

Real life specs:
Power: 220 PS (217 HP)
Weight: 890 kg

Toyota Celica Turbo 4WD (Gr. A) (from Celica GT-Four ST185)

Real Life Specs
Power: 299 PS (294 HP)
Weight: 1120 kg

Renault Maxi Mégane (from Renault Megane 2.0 16v Coupe)
Power: 280 PS (276 HP)
Weight: 960 kg

Toyota Celica GT-Four [ST205] Rally Car (Gr. A) (from Celica GT-Four '95)

Real Life Specs:
Power: 300 PS (295 HP)
Weight: 1200 kg

I'm back!

Took half a year but I've finally decided to update the thing :lol: anyways, feel free to comment on whatever I wrote but I'd also like input on these two subjects:

First, the mystery behind the in-game Laguna's "V6." Car seems so rushed from the looks of it but here it is.

lol.png

And second, I'd like some help on discovering information for the following three cars. I won't add these three cars just yet, but when the time arrives I'd like to have some input. (I'd also like to ask for more information on the DC Sports Integra since the only information I could find referred to the RealRacing Integra. I assume they're the same car).

Anyways here they are:

Intrepid.png
Mustang.png
Sunny.png

-The Intreprid: Having trouble deciding on what class of dragster it fits under.
-The Mustang: Have no idea what kind of racing series it raced under, although I assume it's the Motorola Cup since those Mustangs seems similar in body style and scheme style to the in-game mustang.
-The Sunny: All I know is that the scheme is based off of one run by the Skyline GT-R; it's a Loctite scheme. However, I can't seem to find any info on race Sunnys.

-The Intreprid: Having trouble deciding on what class of dragster it fits under.
-The Mustang: Have no idea what kind of racing series it raced under, although I assume it's the Motorola Cup since those Mustangs seems similar in body style and scheme style to the in-game mustang.
-The Sunny: All I know is that the scheme is based off of one run by the Skyline GT-R; it's a Loctite scheme. However, I can't seem to find any info on race Sunnys.

The Intrepid race mod is a PD fantasy build that was inspired by NHRA's Pro Stock class. The Intrepid was never used in the class but it's smaller brother, the Status, was used for Pro Stock.

mopp_0009_01_z%2Bnhra_pro_stock_drag_racing%2Bdodge_car.jpg

The livery used on the Mustang is actually used by a driving school, the Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving.

35719319-931-undefined.jpg

35719315-627-undefined.jpg

35719327-881-undefined.jpg

The Nismo team did race Sunnys the JTCC in 1994-96. The livery in GT2 seems to be a mish-mash between two cars, the Sunny driven by Toshio Suzuki in the 1995 JTCC season and a correctly-guess Loctite sponsored Skyline GT-R N1 that raced in the 1999 Suzuka 1000km.

TS-B14-1.jpg

NRR_S9923.JPG

As mentioned in the ever popular "Searching for Evidence of Hidden Things" thread, I'm going to go ahead and start uploading my custom car logos here for future reference. I say reference because only the race cars will be featured in the OP, the rest will sorta just be scattered throughout my future postings here about race cars and such.

I plan to get back into the race car business soon enough, so be on the lookout for that :sly:

Anyways, here are some I completed today. The main dish, if you will:
Taurus NASCAR.png

And on the side, some road-going "racecars," if you can stretch your imagination far enough
Roadrunner.png
Zanardi NSX.png

Just wanted to add that Mazda was in still is a successful competitor in motorsports. With the record of 100 IMSA class wins for a single model, Rolex wins, and it's 24 hour lemans win I'd say Mazdas rotary machines are not 'slow even winners' that is just not accurate.

I'm just wondering why Mazda never made a street legal 4 rotor car that they could base a GT500 car on. It would be very successful considering 500hp is chump power to a 4 rotor and reliability would be very high with proper tuning. Don't know why they use under powered 3 rotor for GT300. Considering the last RX7 produced 290hp with a stock 2 rotor their 3 rotor should have been stronger mmm.

Mazda already performs well but they would do even better if they had Toyota, Nissan, or Hondas large money sum to play with.

This thread makes me cry honestly. GT2 has the most amazing and diverse car list of all Gran Turismos IMO. Oh where has PD gone wrong...

Indeed. I've turned my depression-fueled sleepless nights to GT2 and I can't help but still wonder and applaud some wonderful design decisions. Sure, some others were quite dumb, but the Racing Modifications were pure genius as this thread shows!

It really is a shame that PoDi have abandoned some great aspects of their previous games and still haven't bothered fixing the other aspects that, even then, could've been made better.

Just some addition, you can get the DC2 Integra livery in the US version without GameShark by buying and RMing one particular model: Acura Integra GS-R '98.

Also, this particular Minkara blog has some pictures of Super Taikyu cars. Some of them not mentioned in this thread are:

Argo Labo Prelude
Espelir Gialla Altezza
[url=http://cdn.snsimg.carview.co.jp/minkara/photo/000/001/916/347/1916347/p1.jpg?ct=69e0842ead95]5Zigen Pulsar VZ-R N1

Starrd Silvia (S14)
Endless GT-R R34
Fujitsubo GT-R R33 (base for the unused R33 4-door RM)
Cellular RX-7 (dunno what the kanji says, the katakana does say "cellular")

:)[/url]

If I find myself having a bit of free time I'll go ahead and start updating this again.

While my ultimate goal is to eventually have every RM on here, I'll do my best in the meanwhile 👍

Well, I now know where they got the RM for the Pulsar VZr N1 from;

IMG_1696.JPG

The roof and two shades of blue in the lower body at least.

Edit; I've just seen the link above. Scratch that then, it actually existed. Neat team colours across two cars.

We can only hope and dream that the GT Series will someday return to the Glory Days of GT2.

It is my flagship racing game that got me hooked on the series. However those days have long since faded. The memories are faint and distant.

Maybe PC2 could revive some of that magic.
The paint schemes are okay, however it would be great to have simple livery system, where just change colors, number and perhaps choose or win sponsorship stickers.

Trying to collect every paint scheme and racing modification was great times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, didn't even realize this thread was here. Neat stuff 👍

Lister Storm GT (Lister Storm Racing/FIA GT2/#25) 1999
View attachment 430561

History: The original Lister brand originated back in 1954, producing various race and sports cars before ending racing in 1959. Lister returned in 1986, modifying existing Jaguar chassis before finally returning to the racing scene with an original design dubbed the "Storm." Lister originally debuted the Storm (as the Storm GTS) at the 1995 24 Heures du Mans in the GT1 class, where it would fail due to gearbox problems. Even when it evolved into the GTL the Storm was not specialized enough to compete competitively in the GT1 class. It would ultimately end up as a GT2 machine, dubbed the Storm GT, and contend in the FIA GT Championship instead. It had a strong showing in 1999 and would win the title in 2000 under the command of Lister Storm Racing's Julian Bailey and Jamie Campbell-Walter.

Acquisition: Simply purchase a Lister Storm and perform the necessary modifications.

Accuracy: Only real thing missing is the number but other than that, the car is quite well done. The car was mostly sponsored by Lister after all. Only problem is weight; the Storm is too heavy.

Real Specs: 610hp/2425lbs

GT2 Specs: 611hp/2705lbs

HYB Specs: 611hp/2464lbs

I posted this before, but I think I found the car PD modelled:

1999_Lister_StormGT22.jpg

Toyota MR2 SW20 (#25 Team Taisan Jr. with Tsuchiya Engineering)

05.jpg

Tsuchiya Engineering made their All-Japan GT Championship debut in 1996, with team founder Haruo Tsuchiya fielding a Toyota MR2 in the GT300 class for his son, Takeshi Tsuchiya. By 1997, the Tsuchiya MR2 had taken its first victory, and was one of the top cars to beat in the JGTC's fledgling second category.

For the 1998 season, Tsuchiya Engineering partnered with Team Taisan to prepare their #25 Toyota MR2. With Takeshi Tsuchiya moving up to GT500 with Autobacs Racing Team Aguri in '98, the MR2 would feature an all-new driver lineup, led by 1996 GT300 champion and veteran racing driver Keiichi Suzuki, and 20-year-old rookie Shingo Tachi, the son of TOM's founder Nobuhide Tachi.

Tachi, Suzuki, and the Tsuchiya MR2 went on to record the most dominant single season in JGTC and Super GT history, winning a record five out of six races held in 1998. They clinched the championship in the penultimate round at Central Park Miné Circuit, and won the title by a final margin of 66 points, setting a number of records that will never be broken. At the start of the season, the Tsuchiya MR2 was a vibrant royal blue, but by the time they clinched the '98 championship, it was now a lustrous silver.

Just four months after winning the post-season All-Star Race at TI Circuit Aida, triumph turned to tragedy. On March 11, Shingo Tachi was testing a GT500 Toyota Supra for Toyota Team LeMans at TI Circuit, when he suffered a high-speed crash at the first corner, ultimately succumbing to his injuries. He was only 21 years old. Stricken with grief, Keiichi Suzuki immediately retired from racing.

The sombre aftermatch of this team's record-smashing triumph only adds a melancholy layer of mythos to what was already one of the JGTC's greatest ever machines.

Quite a surprise waking up today and seeing my thread get featured. Undoubtably grateful for that, but that just means I have to get to putting up some more cars cause I do indeed have a to do list to get to :lol:

Thanks guys for reading. Stick around and hopefully I'll get a few up today 👍

I ran so many endurance races to have the money to race mod so many cars back then...

Sniff sniff I miss those times.

Just some addition, you can get the DC2 Integra livery in the US version without GameShark by buying and RMing one particular model: Acura Integra GS-R '98.
I actually checked this right now, and while it can be Race Modified, it isn't the accurate livery. The banner says "Acura" instead of "Type R" like it's real life variant.

PSOGL003.png
PSOGL004.png

Here're the images I used for reference (by @RandomCarGuy17 )
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/acura-integra-dc2-type-r-dc-sports-8-1999.305297/

Memories brought me back. This is the first I've posted, much less, logged in, in roughly three years.

I still play GT2, though infrequently. Last month was the most recent, in which I dedicated some time towards getting the '99 3000GT LM.

I'm following this for updates.

Back