The Race Cars of Gran Turismo 2

• Thread starter Gerarghini
  • 127 comments
Tahiti Road (I think it was called), did that track a hundred times or close to it. Winning that Skyline in about 5 laps and selling it for a cool $125,000 credits.

I am sure have ran that track more than any other. However Brand Hatch would come close.

seems like GT2 had some best cars, I forgot about some of them, and now GT sport looks even worse, because I really dislike these modern era type automatic driving with all these driving aids cars, not to mention they looks like modern era crap (all these vision GT cars looks the same for me, the only purpose I see for them is for kids to be exited! some of them are fun to drive but still more boring than anything), those GT2 old school car lines are the best! GT needs to get those vehicles back, I bet people would use them more, and online would be fun place.

Tahiti Road (I think it was called), did that track a hundred times or close to it. Winning that Skyline in about 5 laps and selling it for a cool $125,000 credits.

I am sure have ran that track more than any other. However Brand Hatch would come close.
realsilh.jpg

You mean this car? :D

It was a good car for start earning money for the Escudo (my main expensive choice). You only had to win 4 races in Red Rock Valley using this car, against the All-Stars group and selling for 500k the gift for the 1st place. The crazy Speed 12 :D

seems like GT2 had some best cars, I forgot about some of them, and now GT sport looks even worse, because I really dislike these modern era type automatic driving with all these driving aids cars, not to mention they looks like modern era crap (all these vision GT cars looks the same for me, the only purpose I see for them is for kids to be exited! some of them are fun to drive but still more boring than anything), those GT2 old school car lines are the best! GT needs to get those vehicles back, I bet people would use them more, and online would be fun place.

If your looking for older cars in a E-Sports focused game with the FIA Vaguely involved, then your looking at the wrong game, otherwise I'd see your point if this was GT7 you were talking about.

Well, after two whole years-ish, all the BTCC cars are properly accounted for :sly:

I just have a question or two that maybe one you guys can help me with. I'm looking at just jumping all over the place since I didn't like limiting myself to the BTCC cars for today so I've been looking at the Saleen SR and one thing confuses me...

Heading into 1999, did the ALMS/Professional Sports Car Racing/IMSA (which one is it? Is it Sports Car?) change from GT1/2 classification to GT and GTS? The Vector M12R is a member of this racing group but it's a 1998 car, and all the real life pictures depict it as a GT2... so it safe to say that GT2 is ~ to GTS?

Another question of note is with the Jaguar XJ220 race car. From what I can gather, the particular model in game either never raced, was never documented as having been raced, or raced in an obscure series because the only reference I found to it is from Don Law Racing, with every other XJ220 being either stock, or a C variant. However, this Don Law XJ220 is similar in appearance to the XJ220 race cars from 1995 onward, with an aerodynamic spoiler, so would it be, again, safe to classify it as a GT1 for example?

I guess my short term goal now is to document the cars and have a handy list to look at. This way, we may finally be able to figure out just how many GT1, 2, etc. cars are in this game :sly:

Well, after two whole years-ish, all the BTCC cars are properly accounted for :sly:

I just have a question or two that maybe one you guys can help me with. I'm looking at just jumping all over the place since I didn't like limiting myself to the BTCC cars for today so I've been looking at the Saleen SR and one thing confuses me...

Heading into 1999, did the ALMS/Professional Sports Car Racing/IMSA (which one is it? Is it Sports Car?) change from GT1/2 classification to GT and GTS? The Vector M12R is a member of this racing group but it's a 1998 car, and all the real life pictures depict it as a GT2... so it safe to say that GT2 is ~ to GTS?

Another question of note is with the Jaguar XJ220 race car. From what I can gather, the particular model in game either never raced, was never documented as having been raced, or raced in an obscure series because the only reference I found to it is from Don Law Racing, with every other XJ220 being either stock, or a C variant. However, this Don Law XJ220 is similar in appearance to the XJ220 race cars from 1995 onward, with an aerodynamic spoiler, so would it be, again, safe to classify it as a GT1 for example?

I guess my short term goal now is to document the cars and have a handy list to look at. This way, we may finally be able to figure out just how many GT1, 2, etc. cars are in this game :sly:
Since I got to play the BPR mod that I've recently downloaded for GTR2, maybe I can help you with the XJ220.

I can though safely say that the XJ220 Race Car featured in GT2 onwards was a BPR class car. BPR Series features the likes of Venturi Atlantique 600LM, Mclaren F1 GTR Short Tail, Toyota Supra LM, Lister Storm, Ferrari F40LM, etc.
5018238872_8943c48c25.jpg

I just noticed but for some reason the 1999 Toyota TS020 is labeled #1 even though in real life the #1 machine was sponsored by ZENT. The Esso machine was #3, which is why it's corrected... in GT4 (how even). It's probably possible to change it with a bit of horrendously painstaking bit editing.

Another QQ: the Viper GTS RM, the blue one is based off of the Chamberlain(?) Engineering one but what's the red one based off? I'm hesitant to call it the Oreca ones because these are the same RM's as from Gran Turismo in '98 so...?

I just noticed but for some reason the 1999 Toyota TS020 is labeled #1 even though in real life the #1 machine was sponsored by ZENT. The Esso machine was #3, which is why it's corrected... in GT4 (how even). It's probably possible to change it with a bit of horrendously painstaking bit editing.

@RACECAR says it's the car from the 1999 Fuji Le Mans race, IIRC. ;)

@RACECAR says it's the car from the 1999 Fuji Le Mans race, IIRC. ;)

I was actually reffering to the Minolta liveried Toyota 88C-V and its appearance in the 1988 Fuji 1000.

Since I got to play the BPR mod that I've recently downloaded for GTR2, maybe I can help you with the XJ220.

I can though safely say that the XJ220 Race Car featured in GT2 onwards was a BPR class car. BPR Series features the likes of Venturi Atlantique 600LM, Mclaren F1 GTR Short Tail, Toyota Supra LM, Lister Storm, Ferrari F40LM, etc.
5018238872_8943c48c25.jpg

So, basically we are looking at a BPR GT car simply wearing the Don Law racing livery?

I was actually reffering to the Minolta liveried Toyota 88C-V and its appearance in the 1988 Fuji 1000.

So, basically we are looking at a BPR GT car simply wearing the Don Law racing livery?
Yeah, you'd have to explain why it suddenly gained ZENT logos in addition to the #1 :lol:

As far as the Jaguar goes it makes sense; I can see Privilege GT championship logos on the car. The Lister Storm GT2 and Speed 12 GT1 also have the same logo too.

I updated the OP to include videos for some of the cars if you click their picture, as well as adding in the Espace F1 because :sly:

With that being said, does anyone know where the '82 Vette's racing modification comes from? I'm having a hard time trying to pin point what it might be.

I thought I'd jump in and ask if anyone in here knows if the racing modification for the '97 Camaro Z28 is based off of any real life racing car or similar to. Its for a video I'm working on with another YouTuber and just having that sort of information would really help. :)

As far as I can work out, its based on the Trans-Am Race cars of 1969.

Closest pics I can find are these:

upload_2017-3-12_14-14-4.png

upload_2017-3-12_14-16-21.png

I thought I'd jump in and ask if anyone in here knows if the racing modification for the '97 Camaro Z28 is based off of any real life racing car or similar to. Its for a video I'm working on with another YouTuber and just having that sort of information would really help. :)
That particular car does exist in real life as you can see it here:

But I can't find any details about it in particular.

I feel so stupid, I for some reason thought he was talking about the 69 Camaro :lol:

Also, worth pointing out that the Corvette Racing Modification is present in that video as well.

You mean, my custom RM logos? There aren't many (well, there's 31) and I have yet to test the latest batch. That and so far, they're only for PAL (unless you want to take the time to rename all of them to NTSC-USA or NTSC-JP format). But if you still want them anyway, sure i'll give them to you.

While I'm here, i've found an other interesting model (and a bunch of others too, but I don't want to make multiple posts after each i've found)

Subaru Forester Aero Spec II Concept 1996
autowp.ru_subaru_forester_aero_spec_ii_1.jpg

Autech Primera P10 (That's GT1 and 2's Primera '90 RM's bodystyle)
autech_nissan_primera_1.jpg

Impul 932S Fairlady Z 300ZX 2by2 T-Top (GZ32) '1991 (This could be GT1's Z32 RM)
impul_932s_fairlady_z_300zx_2by2_t-top_1.jpg

Mazdaspeed Lantis Coupe 2000 Type-R Touring Kit A-spec (GT1 and 2's RM body)
tumblr_mobzbutgyG1svuhgso1_1280.jpg

Nissan March R (EK10FR) '1988–91 (GT2's March Super Turbo RM)
nissan_march_r_7.jpeg

BONUS: Subaru Rex Supercharger VX '1988–90
autowp.ru_subaru_rex_combi_supercharger_vx_1.jpg

Last edited:
You mean, my custom RM logos? There aren't many (well, there's 31) and I have yet to test the latest batch. That and so far, they're only for PAL (unless you want to take the time to rename all of them to NTSC-USA or NTSC-JP format). But if you still want them anyway, sure i'll give them to you.

While I'm here, i've found an other interesting model (and a bunch of others too, but I don't want to make multiple posts after each i've found)

Subaru Forester Aero Spec II Concept 1996
autowp.ru_subaru_forester_aero_spec_ii_1.jpg

Autech Primera P10 (That's GT1 and 2's Primera '90 RM's bodystyle)
autech_nissan_primera_1.jpg

Impul 932S Fairlady Z 300ZX 2by2 T-Top (GZ32) '1991 (This could be GT1's Z32 RM)
impul_932s_fairlady_z_300zx_2by2_t-top_1.jpg

Mazdaspeed Lantis Coupe 2000 Type-R Touring Kit A-spec (GT1 and 2's RM body)
tumblr_mobzbutgyG1svuhgso1_1280.jpg

Nissan March R (EK10FR) '1988–91 (GT2's March Super Turbo RM)
nissan_march_r_7.jpeg

BONUS: Subaru Rex Supercharger VX '1988–90
autowp.ru_subaru_rex_combi_supercharger_vx_1.jpg
That will be great! I'd rename them no problem! So long as I know what is what :). I'll add them tomorrow if you can send them.

Hey, does anyone remember the car from GT2 whit strange looking taillights(that looked like 90 degree ruler, similar to this Prius:
2017_toyota_prius_LIFE1_ot_927172_1280.jpg

I know a car that had those kinds of taillights excisted in GT2, but i dont remember its name and cant find it on GT2 wikia....

I am pretty sure that car was Japanese origin, probably under Lexus or Infinity.

Ugh Rotary hate, they're everywhere. Rotary powered cars are not slow and merely successful in low power races. There are sub 7 second rotary drag machines and if I remember correctly there are a couple RX7's that came to hold records on a couple hillclimb events.

I'll need to look over at my racing history again to double check qualifying speeds. It's always going to amaze me why the engine gets the bad rap when it has proven as very viable in motorsport.

@RandomCarGuy17 look above a the video posted by Gerarghini of the 1995 Daytona 24h and you can see the actual Camaro livery. I have yet to find a photo of that car though...

Actually, from the same video, but at a later point, here is a clear shot of it. Now is left to find pictures of it.

SCCA Camaro GT-1 or something, but this particular one is almost impossible to find...

Last edited:
Back