The REAL Castrol Supra GT

This car is an absoute dead ringer for the GT1 Castrol Supra. Check out the grille:
castrol_supra.jpg

Theory: The GT1 Castrol Supra is a 1996 JGTC Castrol Tom's Supra.

Has anyone found an actual GTO LM Edition or RX-7 LM Edition?

Woolie Wool
Theory: The GT1 Castrol Supra is a 1996 JGTC Castrol Tom's Supra.
Err, yeah. We know. The Castrol Supra in that livery is in all GTs

Woolie Wool
Has anyone found an actual GTO LM Edition or RX-7 LM Edition?
The GTO LM and the RX7 LM only exist inside the GT series. They are not real cars.

Oh, and your sig is too long. 6 lines maximum please.

daan
Err, yeah. We know. The Castrol Supra in that livery is in all GTs

It isnt the same as that one in the later games. It has the same paint job, but other than that it doesnt have a lot in common with the Castrol Supras of new. I like that one though, the griles look pretty cool.

I first noticed it in GT2. The original Castrol Supra (not Tom's) was absent. This really sucked for me, as it was my favorite car from GT1. I'm not actually sure if the GT1 version was a real car or not, but I want it back. Bad.

The Toyota Supra GT1 is a real car, it doesn't have Castrol livery though. It had 660Bhp and entered LeMans in 96.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/buckhorn.wash/cars/lemans/prequal/plm96/tablmp96.htm

No photo shown. But it was entered by Sard.

But the Sard/Toyota shown at the following doesn't look like a Supra, it looks mid-engined.

http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/Le_Mans-1996-06-16-photo.html

That's because it's presumably the Team Mexicon Sard Toyota MC8R also shown on the first page.

I'm not sure what the "DSP" qualifying status means on the first page, but I do find a Sard Supra in the actual entry list at:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/buckhorn.wash/cars/lemans/course/clm96/tablmc96.htm

It apparently abandoned after 9 hours.

Whether it was the "Castrol Supra GT" prototype or not, who can tell? Strange that the real Supra apparently used the "LM" designation while the "Castrol Supra GT" is one of the few special models to avoid it.

I could link in the picture, but I don't want to because they try so hard to stop me from linking to the per-car subpages that I think they're actively trying to discourage such linking. So search for "Sard" in all the above pages to find the cars I am talking about.

Maybe my question should be in the real racing forum ?

Why is the Supra still running in the JGTC when in reality Toyota stopped to build the model around 2002 ?
Doesn't Toyota have a more recent model that could compete in the JGTC ? like , for instance tha Altezza ?

One reason I still play GT1 and the GT serie is because it made me discover all those great Japanese models that were unknown in Europe or in North and South America.

Sure I knew about Toyota , Mazda and Nissan at Le Mans but never hearded about the JGTC serie before playing Granturismo.

First of all, the first picture is of a real car, obviously. That Supra was entered in the JGTC in 1996 I believe, s the Special Model from Toyota and can be won in GT2, the same livery but a different bodystyle in the '99 JGTC version available in GT2 (Special Model), GT3 and GT4. The Sard version, that did go to Le Mans, and entered qualifying (photo shown by a link from SportWagon), is available by Race Modifying a 95 Supra RZ found in the used car lot. Finally, that other Sard Le Mans CAR the MC8R looks to be based on an MR2.

matherto
The Sard version, that did go to Le Mans, and entered qualifying (photo shown by a link from SportWagon), is available by Race Modifying a 95 Supra RZ found in the used car lot.

Has it got the same livery as the TRD3000GT in GT1?

I have just seen that Sard in GT1 for the first time! Thanks matherto ;) GT1 still manages to surprise me. Any other good old JGTC to discover, as the blue 'calsonickish' R32SkylineGTR or so?

I can't remember the R32 Racing Mod, I know the R33 is set out similar to a Calsonic, can't remember if it comes in Blue. I feel like crying because I've lost my GT1 disc and I miss it. :(

matherto
I can't remember the R32 Racing Mod, I know the R33 is set out similar to a Calsonic, can't remember if it comes in Blue. I feel like crying because I've lost my GT1 disc and I miss it. :(

don't cry, check out the 2nd hand market, you're bound to come accross a disk for a nice cheap price.

Yeah and get it when you can and don't sell GT1 or use it as a coffee coaster...GT1 is getting hard to find, in a few years it'll be a collector's item for sure.

I'd never ever sell GT1, I had that one since launch. I still played on it most days. Guess I'll have to find one in a local shop

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'VE FOUND GT1!!!!!!

sorry, im excited, 'tis great as well because as soon as I went on it, I finally managed to get all Golds in the I-A licenses, man i love GT1

just noticed something, if the TRD3000GT race mod is a white car with a blue bit along the side, then that would be this car:
http://kaosu1031.fc2web.com/jgtcgallery/history/jgtc1995/1995fuji009.jpg

more images from JGTC 95 including Castrol and Red/White LM Car:
http://kaosu1031.fc2web.com/jgtcgallery/history/jgtc1995/gthistory1995.htm

96 version:
http://kaosu1031.fc2web.com/jgtcgallery/history/jgtc1996/1996suzuka009.jpg

and more 96 photos:
http://kaosu1031.fc2web.com/jgtcgallery/history/jgtc1996/gthistory1996.htm

The castrol Supra GT also Appears in the Sega Touring Cars game, which is a little strange as it was mainly based on the dtm series!

Yes, thanks for those excellent links... its exciting to see the cars I love to drive so much, tooling around Suzuka in real flesh. Almost like seeing a real live dragon!!These are legendary to us GT fiends. I am a really big road racing/grand touring racing fan (pretty much anything but NASCAR), so seeing the real thing is making me hyperventilate! 👍

Hey everyone. Im a new member here. I wanted to let you the car is real. I have seen pics of it before. I will post them here.

Here they are.

t036m003.jpg

jgtc-3.jpg

t037m002.jpg

n006m.jpg

036m971.jpg

Those are all the pics I know of. You can check those out and other supra pics at a site called MKIV.com.

Nice to meet you guys.

I had to say its hella cool to see all these cars! Back when GT1 came out, I thoight all these cars were fake!! I like how you see the evolution in areodynamics iver the years. The cars just get more low slung each year.

JamaicanDrifter
I had to say its hella cool to see all these cars! Back when GT1 came out, I thoight all these cars were fake!! I like how you see the evolution in areodynamics iver the years. The cars just get more low slung each year.

Nice to see a new member visiting the older forums...

When I first got here I felt compelled to read all the older ones to make sure I didn't ask any stupid questions and get a feel for what the forum was like. I doubt I will do that for GT 2-4 (5?)

I own all 4 but have spent most of my time on 1 and 4. I am going to try to finish them all in order.

peterjford
When I first got here I felt compelled to read all the older ones to make sure I didn't ask any stupid questions and get a feel for what the forum was like. I doubt I will do that for GT 2-4 (5?)

I own all 4 but have spent most of my time on 1 and 4. I am going to try to finish them all in order.

That's the difference between me & you, peter. I went ahead and asked the stupid questions. I STILL ask the stupid questions! :)

peterjford

When I first joined the forum GT3 had just been released. I don't think I even owned a copy, however I read through the GT & GT2 forums as I was looking for assistance with getting the hidden cars into GT2. That's when I decided that if there was any forum to join it was GTP.

perterjford

Hey that's what I'm doing as well. I have completed GT by racing all the winnable cars in all of the races they are allowed to enter. Now I'm on GT2 but it's not going so well. The World Cup sort of stopped me in my tracks...

Back