The reason why GT1 in unique

• Thread starter ALPHA
  • 20 comments
In the arcade mode I remember there was huge jumps on the tracks, like the back straight on Trial Mountain, jumping down to go up to the bridge on Autumn Ring, and on Grand Valley before the tight hairpin.

In Simulation mode the jumps weren't there hence it being arcady not simulation so its in the arcade mode.

Truely a unique GT Game.

The jumps felt a little bigger, and I know my eye imagined them bigger because of that, but maybe it was just the physics engine. But the Arcade and Simulation versions of a particular track are distinct different tracks in the game. (The 2 player version, if it exists is yet another distinct version... and then there's rogo-test).

The settings used on the cars in arcade mode weren't the same as that car in stock form in sim, the suspenson was softer and the cars more oversteer prone, in 2 player it was the reduced fps that mad the cars feel different not differetn physics engines.

Actually, as far as I can tell, the same tracks were used for 2 player racing in arcade and simulation (memory card battle) mode.

I.e. tracks different from the arcade and simulation tracks otherwise used.

The 2 player tracks had no middle-distance scenery, and always had the pits open. There were only forward tracks, no reverse.

So once I sharked an endurance race to be at the 2 Player High Speed Ring. :D

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/2000-11-03.html

(Ever notice how in simulation mode the pits are always open at the enduro tracks; Grand Valley, and SSR11 I and II? And also at SSR5 which implies they had planned another enduro there, but didn't put it in the final version. -- Maybe the Corvette '67 was supposed to be the prize...)

Sometime maybe perhaps I'll again try sharking arcade tracks into sim mode, or vice versa, and report back on whether the bumps really are different in size, or not.

Because you could race-mod every car but one.
You could buy your stabilizers separately.
No toe nor LSD adjustments.
Real power-to-rev range graphs.
Turbo boost adjustments.
Buying prize cars off another memory card is super-cheap.
You have to first get into a car that you want to sell, and sell it at the right dealer.
The only GT game with an arcade car that you can't attain normally.
Some race cars that get that elusive 7th gear (I wouldn't call GT2's Pleo a race car).

Originally posted by pupik
Some race cars that get that elusive 7th gear (I wouldn't call GT2's Pleo a race car).
The Castrol Supra GT was one of them cars that had the 7th gear.

Originally posted by pupik
Because....
It kept a useful set of records in Simulation Mode. I thought the [size=+1]GT2[/size] situation (exacerbated by the version confusion--saves from one version showed mangled records when viewed in another version) was just because it was a rushed prototype, but the situation with respect to record race times is even worse in [size=+1]GT3[/size]. :(

Oh. And you didn't mention the gear charts either...

Originally posted by SportWagon
It kept a useful set of records in Simulation Mode. I thought the [size=+1]GT2[/size] situation (exacerbated by the version confusion--saves from one version showed mangled records when viewed in another version) was just because it was a rushed prototype, but the situation with respect to record race times is even worse in [size=+1]GT3[/size]. :(

Oh. And you didn't mention the gear charts either...

Are you saying that in GT1 and GT2 finish times were saved for races in Sim mode? That would be rather handy in GT3 (and GT4 hopefully) ... and if you could turn the ghost on that would be pretty cool too.

Originally posted by LoudMusic
Are you saying that in GT1 and GT2 finish times were saved for races in Sim mode? That would be rather handy in GT3 (and GT4 hopefully) ... and if you could turn the ghost on that would be pretty cool too.
Okay...

[size=+1]GT1[/size] had separate timetrials for Arcade and Simulation mode. Each were exactly two laps (standing start), and saved best total time and fastest lap. They saved an indication of what car set the record. In addition, Arcade Mode kept the top eight (ten?) records for the two laps. These were with the limited number of special Arcade Mode cars only.

Now, in Simulation Mode, [size=+1]GT1[/size] saved for each race the record single-lap, standing start qualifying time, and best total race time and fastest lap. These records could not be viewed outside the events, however. But they appeared during each race to help refresh your memory as to what good times were for that race.

[size=+1]GT2[/size] was a step backwards in that it saved only the best lap for each track, from the Time Trials. This was displayed during all races on that track.

This is all from memory. I may have got some details wrong. But, indeed, [size=+1]GT1[/size] record-keeping was much more complete and useful than [size=+1]GT3[/size].

There was no ability to run "ghosts" during races.

GT1 has the best arcade mode. And those jumps in Trial Mountain? Let's say the cars' suspension settings have been tweaked to a level we couldn't reach.

Originally posted by Darin
The Castrol Supra GT was one of them cars that had the 7th gear.
Are you sure, I think it was only 6 (not counting reverse ofcourse).

I've been playing a lot of GT1 lately and finally figuered out how to get the 67 Corvette in my Garage, It's a cool car but you can't put a Racing Mod on it without it locking up the game, You can drive it with Tuned parts you just can't adjust the Downforce! :irked:

Originally posted by vvVRROOOoomm...
no...i'm very sure the castrol supra gt has 7 gears...and so does the viper gts-r...;)

The Dodge viper doesn't have the 7th gear. Only one that does, is the castrol supra GT.

Back