The Rocking Chair

• Thread starter phattboy
  • 4 comments
The first time I ran the F1 series race, I ran it in a F686M. When it got to the test track, that car literally smoked the field. All in all, I remember being pretty proud of my bad self. The more I played the game, the less I wanted that to happen.

Committed to having more competitive racing, recently I reran the F1 series in what it seems most think is the underdog, that being, the F090S. By the time I reached the Test Track, I had gained a new appreciation for the F090S. While it may not be the fastest of the bunch in an all out drag race, it does have a great many things in it's favor over the rest.

Now bear in mind, this is my opinion however, tuned properly, this car is the easiest of the lot to drive. It certainly is easiest for me to tune for tire wear. For example, in the F090S, I was able to easily run Midfield in two pit stops and do Seattle's 40 in three. I wasn't pushing the tire either. The tires were orange when I headed into the pits and those were in fairly quick, multiple lapping runs.

But when I got to Test Track, we were no longer on a track where the nimbleness of the F090S would play a role. My HP had deteriorated to 677, I noticed on lap 4 my oil light was on and no amount of tuning (my tuning) would get this car to go past 218 MPH on the straights and 213 through the corners.

I'm sure better tuners than myself could have managed better but there is no way I believe it could be tuned to go faster than the 225-226 the AI F686M manages. So, I was stuck with tuning the tranny on the F090S with enough room to draft up to just beyond the speed of the F686M. That left me only running 218 MPH when I was running solo and not in the draft. I might add that after tuning the top end, I went back to second and third gears and tightened them up so I would be sure to have optimal acceleration out of the box. Didn't want to miss the initial draft and get left behind.

Dropped the F090 in the weeds, ditched all the downforce, ASM/TCS at zip, and set the toe and camber to zero as well.

Having done everything I thought I could, I rolled out to the starting grid and climbed in. Sitting in sixth, the field in front of me looked daunting but I was confident in my plan.

The other F090S was on the pole? How the heck did he do that?

Following behind him successively were the F686m, the F094S, the F094H and the F687S. When the bell tolled, I feathered off the line hit second and third and was climbing up the backside of the pack by the time I hit fourth gear. Slipping to the outside I went right to the lead and waited for the immediate repass by the F686. I tucked in behind him for the tow and settled in for the run.

On lap three, I used the slingshot off the F686M just before the start finish line to set fast lap of the race at 1'43.018. Having done so, I then settled back, this time behind the F094S. I knew the F686M would be the first of those two to the pits so I wanted to be behind the F094S so as not to lose my ride in the ensuing shuffles that would start in a couple more laps.

Sure enough, we all packed around the track until lap 6 when the F686M predictably dropped off for tires and a burger. I stuck with the F094S like stink on a pig. Lap 7 dropped everyone else except the F094S who I tailed for one more lap before he dropped for his first set of skins.

I was on my own for the first time in the race for 3 3/4 laps. Entering turn three on lap 12, the F686 caught and passed me. I fell in behind for the tow only through turn 4 where he dropped down to the inside for another trip through pit road.

I was alone again with the F094S coming on strong a little over 7 seconds back. He was all over my back side ready to pass when he dropped off at the Mini Mart for donuts on lap 16.

Immediately here came the F686M and I had another tow for two laps. Another key part of my original plan was coming up at lap 18. I knew my tires would be roasted red by this time and they were. Now, I know I could complete the race at Test Track on one set of tires but that ain't no fun so I had planned a pit stop in conjunction with the F686M on lap 18.

The key was, I felt I needed to go into the pits ahead of the F686M so I would be first out and up to speed when the F686M went by so I wouldn't lose my ride. If he was first in, he would be first out and likely to out accelerate me and I would be alone and the only hope I would have at that point would be for the F094S to give me a tow, that is, if he hadn't already gone by us. I had practiced the pass one time on lap 3 (and you thought that was only ego wanting fast lap) and as we came around turn four, timed it out the same and made the pass just as the F686M dropped to the bottom of the track headed for the pits. I skidded in just ahead of him.

Being first out, here came the F094S just as the F686M followed me from the pit. I threw the rope onto the wing of the F094S first and then as the F686 caught and passed, I slipped the rope off the wing of the F094S and lassoed the F686M for the next leg of the journey. The F094S settled in behind us and I rode the Rocking Chair until lap 24 when they both had to stop to take a pee or something. 24 laps equalled about 2.4 cups of coffee for me so, I had to go pretty bad too. However, I elected to hold out for the last lap on my own to victory.

Just a minute....

[/Flush]

Okay, final tally:

Me 44'26.713
F686M +17.320 at 44'44.033
F094S +17.450 at 44.44.163
F687S +43.998 at 45'09.711
F094H +48.620 at 45'15.333
F090S +1'10.419 at 45'37.132

Fun time was had riding the Rocking Chair at the Test Track.

phattboy

Nice work - both the racing and the writeup! I've actually had some of my most exciting races at the Test Curse - one in the Viper GTS and one in the JGTC MR-S. Both were totally dependent upon drafting and both had margins of victory less than 1/10th of a second in 30 minute races.

I just love these types of races where it does not rely on car strength, but rather on competience of the driver. Good show phattboy! :D

Thanks guys! The F1 series in the F090S was enhanced for me because of this race.

Originally posted by neon_duke
Nice work - both the racing and the writeup! I've actually had some of my most exciting races at the Test Curse - one in the Viper GTS and one in the JGTC MR-S. Both were totally dependent upon drafting and both had margins of victory less than 1/10th of a second in 30 minute races.

Funny how in this race it was really a twenty three lap race. I'm not sure why they set the game up for the 2 AI hotshots to pit on lap 24... How dumb is that? I should have had to run the "Curse" to win the sprint like you are talking about.

Truth be told, because I knew that going in to the race, I did do the pass on lap 23 just to know in my own mind I would win given the way it should have been at lap 25.

Which race series was it in the JGTC MR-S (Autobacks)? That sounds like it might be one I would like to try.

phattboy

Back