THE 'SERIOUS RACING SERIES'. Sundays, 20:30 British time, bi-weekly. 10/12 signed up.

• Thread starter Zolon32
  • 70 comments
United Kingdom
England
Zolon32

JUST LOOK WHAT YOU COULD WIN!

Serious Racing Trophy.JPG

If you are the sort of person who loves GT as a game, but quite fancy racing for a serious Championship, then you have come to the right place.

Anyone who has raced with me will know for sure that serious doesn't necessarily mean dull or dour. Have you ever seen those home movie clips of the Formula 1 crowd in the 1960s? They are having a whale of a time. But, when the racing starts, they give it everything they've got. Well, I wasn't there, but I'm trying to bring that vibe to my favourite game.

If you have ever fancied running without assists, then here you have the perfect opportunity to do so on a levelled-out playing field. And what a playing field it is, eighteen meetings, with some of the best cars and tracks in the game. The results from your best fourteen meetings will count, meaning you can miss four without being put at a great disadvantage.

The events will be bi-weekly, to give sufficient practice time beforehand, and allow people to be on holidays for two weeks, whilst only missing one meeting.

Each event will consist of two races. The first will be set to last around twenty minutes, and starts with a false start check, fastest first grid.
In view of the need to crack on with the meeting (due to the fact that we are spread across numerous time zones) the qualifying procedure for the first race will be as follows...
At 9:05 prompt I will reset the track, wiping clean previous times gained in the immediate lead up to the racing.
At 9:11 prompt I will start the race, with the fastest first system in play. Should make for an interesting five minutes or so.
Pit stops will not usually be required for this first race.

The second race will have enough laps to give an overall race time of around one hour. For this one the drivers will usually find that pitting is a good idea. This grid will be set in the reverse of the finishing positions from the first race. Additionally, the winner of the first will have a handicap to overcome. His (or her) power setting will be dropped to 88%. The one who came second in the first race will set his/her power to 91%, third set to 94%, and so on, with each driver getting 3% more power than the one behind him/her on the grid.

(This does not count for the Kart race, since its power is locked. For that race a delayed start system will be used for each individual.)

Damage will be heavy. I know that some people fear that their race may be ruined by a some rash move. However, my experience of racing with heavy damage indicates that such rash moves are noticeable by their absence when it is in place. Additionally, the standard of driving expected in these races is exactly what you would ask for in a championship which is more serious than the one sanctioned by the F.I.A. That august body might stand for someone deliberately ramming an opponent in order to gain an advantage (1989, 1990, 1994; I'm sure there are others), but I will not, whether damage is caused or not. Nor will persistent tapping be permitted. A driver who engages in that sort of activity is demonstrating that he/she is not serious about the competition, and will not be allowed to continue in it.

So, what treats are in store for a driver who is suitably serious?

serious3.jpg

Sunday 31st March 2019, 21:00 BST. Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991) '16, at Brands Hatch GP on S/H tyres. 100% power, 87% weight.

Tyre degradation X4, fuel X2.

12 and 36 laps.

Sunday 14th April 2019, 21:00 BST. Honda NSX Type R '92, at Alsace Village on C/S tyres. 100% power, 88% weight.

Tyre deg X10, fuel X2.

7 and 24 laps.

Sunday 28th April 2019, 21:00 BST. Jaguar XJR-9 '88, at Yamagiwa+Myabi, on R/H tyres. 100% power, 89% weight.

Tyre deg X8, fuel X1.

9 and 28 laps.

serious5.jpg

Sunday 12th May 2019, 21:00 BST. Alpine A110 '72, at Colorado Springs, on dirt tyres. 100% power, 92% weight.

Tyre and fuel deg off.

12 and 36 laps.

Sunday 26th May 2019, 21:00 BST. BMW M3 Evo '89, at Dragon Trail Gardens, on S/H tyres. 100% power, 90% weight.

Tyre deg X6, fuel X3.

10 and 30 laps.

Sunday 9th June 2019, 21:00 BST. Shelby Cobra 427 '66, at Big Willow, on S/M tyres. 88% power, 118% weight.

Tyre deg X5, fuel X 2.

13 and 39 laps.

serious1.jpg

Sunday 23rd June 2019, 21:00 BST. Gran Turismo Shifter Kart 125, at Maggiore East on S/S tyres. 100% power and weight.

Tyre and fuel deg off.

12 laps and 36 laps.

Sunday 7th July 2019, 21:00 BST. Honda Integra Type R (DC2) '98, at Alsace Village II, on S/H tyres. 100% power, 88% weight.

Tyre deg X2, fuel X1.

8 and 24 laps.

serious2.jpg

Sunday 21st July 2019, 21:00 BST. Greddy Fugu Z, at Suzuka GP, on S/H tyres. 100% power, 89% weight.

Tyre deg X3, fuel X2.

8 and 24 laps.

Sunday 4th August 2019, 21:00 BST. Honda S660 '15, at Streets of Willow, on C/M tyres. 100% power, 92% weight.

Tyre deg X10, fuel X2.

12 and 36 laps.

Sunday 18th August 2019, 21:00 BST. Ford Mustang GrB, at Fisherman's Ranch, on dirt tyres. 100% power, 79% weight.

Tyre and fuel deg off.

6 and 18 laps.

Sunday 1st September 2019, 21:00 BST. McLaren F1 GTR BMW '95 Gr3, at Maggiore GP II, on R/S tyres. 100% power, 91% weight.

Tyre deg X5, fuel X 2.

10 and 31 laps.

Sunday 15th September 2019, 21:00 BST. Porsche Cayman Gr4, at Dragon Trail Seaside II, on R/H tyres. 100% power, 73% weight.

Tyre deg X3, fuel X1.

11 and 35 laps.

serious4.jpg

Sunday 29th September 2019, 21:00 BST. Ferrari F50 '95, at Sainte-Croix-C, on S/H tyres. 100% power, 88% weight.

Tyre deg X3, fuel X1.

5 and 15 laps.

Sunday 13th October 2019, 21:00 BST. Aston Martin DB11 '16, at Yamagiwa, on S/H tyres. 100% power, 80% weight.

Tyre deg X3, fuel X2.

11 and 33 laps.

Sunday 27th October 2019, 21:00 GMT. Alfa Romeo C4 Launch Edition '14, at Maggiore GP, on C/S tyres. 100% power, 91% weight.

Tyre deg X8, fuel X1.

8 and 25 laps.

serious6.jpg

Sunday 10th November 2019, 21:00 GMT. BMW Z8 '01, at Fuji International Speedway, on S/H tyres. 100% power, 85% weight.

Tyre deg X3, fuel X1.

11 and 34 laps.

Sunday 24th November 2019, 21:00 GMT. McLaren 650S, at Dragon Trail Seaside, on S/H tyres. 100% power, 86% weight.

Tyre deg X3, fuel X1.

10 and 30 laps.

The sharp eyed among you will have picked up on the 'levelled-out playing field' comment. What is meant by this is that ABS will be allowed, since it would seem that there are only about five other people in the game who do without it. However, those who do choose to go naked, and moderate their car's deceleration entirely without electronic help, will gain one bonus point for each race in which they do so. No assists beyond ABS will be allowed.

This brings me on to the points system...

There will be 14 points for a win, 12 points for second, 11 for third, 10 for fourth, etc.

In addition there will be one bonus point available each race for the one who records the fastest lap.

Driving standards: deliberate or reckless contact is forbidden, and could attract any penalty up to disqualification from the Championship. The degree of penalty will depend on the incident itself, and previous incidents in which the driver in question was involved.

In-game penalties. At the moment lobby events do not incorporate the style of penalties we see in the Nations Cup or Manufacturers Championship. If this does become available we shall use that. If it does not, then short cut penalties will be on weak. If you find yourself getting such a penalty then you must get completely off the throttle within ten seconds of the penalty occurring. You must stay off the throttle completely until the penalty is spent. You will not be required to get off the racing line, it is up to following racers to take advantage of your penalty, and drive their cars accordingly. When a car is about to stop ghosting is clearly signalled, there's no excuse for hitting one.

General settings will have realistic slipstreaming and track edge grip, flag rules on, 180sec in which to finish after the winner, and no peanut allergy.

Venari has very kindly produced an excellent SRS decal for your racing number. The use of these is mandatory, on both sides, and of 'normal' size. However what your car looks like otherwise is up to you.

I am restricting the number of drivers competing full on for the Championship to a dozen. If there are sign-ups beyond that, then I am confident that reserves will frequently find a place open.

I am sure that I have left plenty of questions unanswered. If you do fancy this and have any point you would like to raise, then please do not hesitate to do so.

Cheers, Zo.

Last edited:
Sign-ups.

BloodyboyBlue #25

Suts #88

BB #77

Venari #43

Famine #6

Jocke #22

Jammy #9

Numbnuts #70

Hobbsy #79

Zolon32 #32

Wild Card, DocBown #46

Last edited:
I plan on racing as much as I can (which should be most of the races). I’ll use my normal #25.

How many drop scores are you planning on having?

How many drop scores are you planning on having?
Points from four meetings will be dropped Blue, leaving fourteen to score, if someone can make that many. No wonder it runs through to November!

Cheers, Zo.

(I've edited the OP now, to highlight that point, since it was just in plain text previously.)

Hi Zo.
As abs is allowed I would love to join.

However I know I will miss at least 8 of the races as they fall on days I have work commitments as well as certain holidays.
Eg I’ll miss the first race as I’ll be out the country.

As I can only make less than 50% if the races I’m happy to be on the reserve list if there’s others who can attend more.

Please can I reserve number 88 for when I can attend.

Championship sounds champion!!;)

:cheers:

I will join but I will probably miss some races during summer.

Btw. I think my "False start check" problem is solved as I tried it in a friends lobby this evening
and it was ok there so let´s hope it´s gone :cheers:
I `ve had the same setup for about 2 1/2 year and suddenly for 3-4 weeks ago it appeared :odd: :crazy:
Maybe it was some update to the game during the time I was away for my holiday that caused the problem.

Venari #43. :)

You may construct your race number yourself by layering, or, if you desire, you can ask me by PM to email you the SVG file so you can make your own, or, I may construct your complete-with-number decal for you and email that to you on PM request.

Well done on all the hard work preparing this, Zo.

Seems like the second race will be finished at around just after midnight Monday my time :ill:,
and just after 1am for @jammy21 (should he be interested in winning another one of your unique
trophies). He won the first one, didn't he?
I'll try and make as many races as I can.

And I'll happily use Mark's racing number decal (if I can figure out
where it is, I'll check his GTS profile) with the #22.

Now as you @JockeP22 mention it I have interested this but I had played only ProjectCars over year now and GTS has been resting for me. This could be now reason enough to come back for GTS game and give me motivation to start playing it again.
Actually I did yesterday quick test session with first race combo and was these games car handling different. I felt like I was playing GTS for first time.
All in all - Zo put me in! I like to give this for chance.

#21 is taken so I take #9.

1 question; is tuning allowed?

Well done on all the hard work preparing this, Zo.

Seems like the second race will be finished at around just after midnight Monday my time :ill:,
and just after 1am for @jammy21 (should he be interested in winning another one of your unique
trophies). He won the first one, didn't he?
I'll try and make as many races as I can.

And I'll happily use Mark's racing number decal (if I can figure out
where it is, I'll check his GTS profile) with the #22.
Thanks Jocke, and AAAARGH! I never considered the time zones advancing eastward:dunce: I'm sorry I've made it awkward for you.

Now as you @JockeP22 mention it I have interested this but I had played only ProjectCars over year now and GTS has been resting for me. This could be now reason enough to come back for GTS game and give me motivation to start playing it again.
Actually I did yesterday quick test session with first race combo and was these games car handling different. I felt like I was playing GTS for first time.
All in all - Zo put me in! I like to give this for chance.

#21 is taken so I take #9.

1 question; is tuning allowed?
Brilliant, good to hear from you Jammy.

The series has been conceived with tuning prohibited. However, given that it is a 'Serious' series, perhaps I should throw it open to the competitors and see how they feel.

There are three options:

1/ No tuning.

2/ Tuning only allowed for the race car/rally car events (and Karts, if they can be tuned, I'm not sure.)

3/ Tuning allowed throughout the series.

So chaps, @bloodyboyblue @Sutsagrd @Team_SWE_1 @Sparkz_360 @buybon355 @Venari @Famine , Jocke and Jammy this entry should be flagged up for you anyway. Cast your vote as to which of the three options you would like to see, and the one with the most votes will be implemented. The vote will be open until this time next week, and only those mentioned here, including Jocke and Jammy... oops, better include myself too... are eligible to vote.

And my vote is, no tuning, but please, don't be influenced by that, it would make an interesting change to have tuning involved...

Cheers, Zo.

I also put my vote in for no tuning.

I read through the introduction again and I think you might have omitted a qualifying procedure for the first race. Or did I miss it?

I read through the introduction again and I think you might have omitted a qualifying procedure for the first race. Or did I miss it?
Glad you raised that Jocke. I think that there's a good chance that I forgot that we need a qualifying procedure at all!

So, in view of a desire to crack on with the meeting the qualifying procedure for the first race will be as follows...
At 9:05 prompt I will reset the track, wiping clean previous times gained in the immediate lead up to the racing.
At 9:11 prompt I will start the race, with the fastest first system in play. Should make for an interesting five minutes or so.

It's looking like we might not need the full week for the vote to resolve itself...

No tuning 4, race cars tuning and total tuning, zero. I do like it when things are simple(ish)

Cheers, Zo.

I've edited the OP now Jocke, thanks for the prompt 👍

I would’ve voted for tuning in some races but no tuning in most of them, since I always like a bit of both, but it doesn’t matter now

@DR HASH @Nuschel01 @Standard_FV @Herimopp89 @Schosse @docbrown40 @e_Tom

This will be the successor to the Toyota Championship, in the same timeslot, but biweekly

Thanks for the mention, i could race that interesting championship too, but also probably not all the slots, consider me as a wild card if others deserve the spot more than me, then i won't fight it lol ;)

I still suck at liveries (honestly didn't take the time once to look closely at it) so i'd be thankful for any one who'd like to shareone...

I would go with #46
Cheers

I would’ve voted for tuning in some races but no tuning in most of them, since I always like a bit of both, but it doesn’t matter now
Full tuning :)
We could perhaps have some tuning races, outside the 'Serious Series', on the gap weeks fellas.

Vote count so far, No tuning, 4. Partial, 1. Full, 1.

Thanks for the mention, i could race that interesting championship too, but also probably not all the slots, consider me as a wild card if others deserve the spot more than me, then i won't fight it lol ;)

I still suck at liveries (honestly didn't take the time once to look closely at it) so i'd be thankful for any one who'd like to shareone...

I would go with #46
Cheers
I'll put you down for the wild card then Doc. Always good to have a medical professional on hand when heavy damage is switched on.

I think it would be reasonably simple for me to duplicate my style, as seen in the piccies above, but with a different colour scheme, if that would tickle your fancy. Give me a shout if that would be a help.

Cheers, Zo.

With Joe we did some 450PP tuned classics, and I did some tuning tutorials. Maybe that would be fun, but for this - no tuning.

Tuning means to me to make car easier to drive and to work better for my driving style. Stock tune means I have to change my driving style. Thats all.
If we'll go "No tuning" I'm not interested tuning races with same combos as in seriers has. It's just messup things.

No tuning.

I’m sorry if my vote forces some racers out of this championship. That’s not my intention. I want everyone who signed up to this to come and race.

:cheers:

I'm thinking tuning would suit more serious than serious (not least because the insistence on giant stock rear toe angles is nuts), but I prefer no-tuning because I simply don't have the time in my life to test out tunes for 18 different cars over and over again only to be whumped by a tune with no bearing in logic that exploits a little-known gap in the game's physics :lol:

Back