The Trump Impeachment Thread

• Thread starter Dotini
  • 2,103 comments

Will the current Articles of Impeachment ever be sent from the House to the Senate?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Found an interesting article. Maybe this is a nothingburger, but apparently Kamala will leave her senate seat on Monday, the 18th.

Weird, the innauguration isn't until Wednesday the 20th.

Weirder still is that the Senate won't likely hold a vote on the impeachment trial until Tuesday the 19th.

Weirder still is that Politico apparently does not know when Alex Padilla will be sworn in to take her place. Will it be Tuesday at noon? At close? At open on Tuesday? Surely there's some sort of precedent or procedure for this that I don't know. Surely they've considered the fact that the Senate could possibly vote against holding an impeachment trial on Tuesday by a margin of 49-50 without either Harris or Padilla, but is that even allowed? Don't they have to have all 100 senators sitting to make that decision?

I see an opportunity here that scoundrels could take advantage of but I also don't know the specifics of the rules. Surely there are rules to prevent that possibility.

Found an interesting article. Maybe this is a nothingburger, but apparently Kamala will leave her senate seat on Monday, the 18th.

Weird, the innauguration isn't until Wednesday the 20th.

Weirder still is that the Senate won't likely hold a vote on the impeachment trial until Tuesday the 19th.

Weirder still is that Politico apparently does not know when Alex Padilla will be sworn in to take her place. Will it be Tuesday at noon? At close? At open on Tuesday? Surely there's some sort of precedent or procedure for this that I don't know. Surely they've considered the fact that the Senate could possibly vote against holding an impeachment trial on Tuesday by a margin of 49-50 without either Harris or Padilla, but is that even allowed? Don't they have to have all 100 senators sitting to make that decision?

I see an opportunity here that scoundrels could take advantage of but I also don't know the specifics of the rules. Surely there are rules to prevent that possibility.
Senate won't meet until Thursday I believe. I would be extremely shocked if McConnell allowed for a session to occur while the vice president was transitioning.

If there is a law that records must be preserved, but the records are physically destroyed, then there should be punishment for that. Am I wrong? Tell me I'm wrong, I dare you. If there is a piece of paper, and you tear it into more than one piece, it's destroyed. Am I wrong? Tell me I'm wrong, I dare you.

What is the meaning of destroyed?

What is the meaning of destroyed?
Dictionary.com says:

"to reduce (an object) to useless fragments, a useless form, or remains, as by rending, burning, or dissolving."

Mirriam Webster says:

"to ruin the structure, organic existence, or condition of."

Google's Oxford Languages says:

"put an end to the existence of (something) by damaging or attacking it."

It seems to me that Trump literally tearing up documents that legally need to be preserved like they're credit card offers is destruction with the intent to reduce, damage, and otherwise ruin the documents to an officially useless form. The fact that they were repaired is not an excuse, in fact the need to repair them is more evidence that they were not officially useful in their destroyed form.

Trump should be charged with one count of destroying official documents for every single occurrence, along with whatever type of obstruction of law occurred by destroying those documents.

Woah now, let's not get all literal with our reading of this sentence. Clearly there is some interpretation required for what exactly is meant by the term "bribery", as language is a fluid thing and can change significantly over time. Not to mention the changing social and cultural factors that might cause one to reinterpret a founding document from hundreds of years ago.

For example, at the time there was considered to be a difference between simple or common bribery, and high Bribery such as accepting shiploads of gold in order to sell the citizens of your country into slavery. This clearly isn't that, this is just a little under the table dealing which it would almost be more shocking if a New York real estate magnate were not to take part in, so obviously there's nothing worth getting in a fuss about here. This is just Trump being Trump, so lets let it go and all heal the country together. He's gonna be out in a few days anyway so there's really no reason to go any further into it or how this might be connected to any of the rest of one of the two major political parties in the country and how said party not only didn't attempt to control Trump but actively encouraged this totally not unConstitutional behaviour.

We're all friends together now right buddies? Heil America, I mean, uh, America, 🤬 yeah!

Maybe they included themselves and Trump on the Trump pardon list. They can give themselves a staff discount in time for the military send off he reportedly demanded from the suckers and losers whose dead comrades he insulted while blaming gold star families for infecting him with Covid.

Woah now, let's not get all literal with our reading of this sentence. Clearly there is some interpretation required for what exactly is meant by the term "bribery", as language is a fluid thing and can change significantly over time. Not to mention the changing social and cultural factors that might cause one to reinterpret a founding document from hundreds of years ago.

For example, at the time there was considered to be a difference between simple or common bribery, and high Bribery such as accepting shiploads of gold in order to sell the citizens of your country into slavery. This clearly isn't that, this is just a little under the table dealing which it would almost be more shocking if a New York real estate magnate were not to take part in, so obviously there's nothing worth getting in a fuss about here. This is just Trump being Trump, so lets let it go and all heal the country together. He's gonna be out in a few days anyway so there's really no reason to go any further into it or how this might be connected to any of the rest of one of the two major political parties in the country and how said party not only didn't attempt to control Trump but actively encouraged this totally not unConstitutional behaviour.

We're all friends together now right buddies? Heil America, I mean, uh, America, 🤬 yeah!

tenor.gif

Last edited:
I ended up digging back through this thread and looking at some old posts (old meaning about a year old). So @Dotini, @Groundfish, how are you feeling about your defense of senate republicans who refused to convict Trump for a clearly impeachable offense that they didn't even bother trying to claim he was innocent of, and which he admitted on camera? Feeling good? Feel like justice was done? Did we get that right?

Is he blocked from this subforum? I checked to see whether he had been banned altogether.

No, but he seems to think that we're all out to get him or something and that we're enforcing some non-existent rules upon him that aren't in the AUP.

Is he blocked from this subforum? I checked to see whether he had been banned altogether.
I don't think he's blocked, I think he just quit posting here because he felt no one agrees with him and couldn't take criticism. I've seen him tagged a few times around here (I've even done it once) since he's left and he still hasn't posted since.

In his own words, the GTP O & CE sub-forum is a "radical libertarian echo-chanber"

Last edited:
I ended up digging back through this thread and looking at some old posts (old meaning about a year old). So @Dotini, @Groundfish, how are you feeling about your defense of senate republicans who refused to convict Trump for a clearly impeachable offense that they didn't even bother trying to claim he was innocent of, and which he admitted on camera? Feeling good? Feel like justice was done? Did we get that right?

Oh come on, Danoff, you know that Dotini wasn't defending Trump; he was defending peace and prosperity.

While the current proceedings aren't exactly fair, my main gripe was that they started the whole thing without a vote. Now they have had one. I just wanted the Democrat house members to be held accountable. Now they will be.

Remember when you wanted the democrats to be held accountable for impeaching Trump for bribery (which he admitted to)? They now control the executive and both houses of congress and Trump is facing prosecution. You wanted the democrats to be held accountable for the audacity of impeaching someone who bribed a foreign official in order to use them as a mouthpiece to lie in order to sway an election. An election that he subsequently tried to steal through the courts, through the vice presidency, and ultimately through a violent mob.

Held accountable... unbelievable...

Edit:

I should say "through the courts, state governments, congress, the vice presidency, and ultimately through a violent mob".

Last edited:
Remember when you wanted the democrats to be held accountable for impeaching Trump for bribery (which he admitted to)? They now control the executive and both houses of congress and Trump is facing prosecution. You wanted the democrats to be held accountable for the audacity of impeaching someone who bribed a foreign official in order to use them as a mouthpiece to lie in order to sway an election. An election that he subsequently tried to steal through the courts, through the vice presidency, and ultimately through a violent mob.

Held accountable... unbelievable...
I wonder how he'd feel about Marj Greene being held accountable for trying to impeach Biden after her monstrous accusation that Nancy and Hillary are the orchestrators of the Stoneman Douglas High School shootings.

Last edited:
Ya I feel like there's zero point in wasting everyone's time with a trial now since it's clear that a majority of Republicans think you can't convict a former president. Probably best just to do a quick vote, let it die, and focus on more pressing matters.

Trump could still be charged criminally though right? Like an AG changing him with something?

Ya I feel like there's zero point in wasting everyone's time with a trial now since it's clear that a majority of Republicans think you can't convict a former president. Probably best just to do a quick vote, let it die, and focus on more pressing matters.
I definitely want there to be a record of those who put party over country. I'm calling it Romney and Murkowski doing the right thing.

Trump could still be charged criminally though right? Like an AG changing him with something?
I mean...sure, but I'm a cynic and I don't see much coming of that. Criminal prosecution is a higher bar than conviction on article(s) of impeachment and revocation of privileges afforded to those who held that particular office.

Would it shock anyone if all of the Republicans are fearing for their lives (political and physical) and that's why they aren't going to try and convict him?

Would it shock anyone if all of the Republicans are fearing for their lives (political and physical) and that's why they aren't going to try and convict him?
Sad but true. A "RINO" would be anyone with an R in front of their name who dares do the slightest thing critical of Donald Trump.

Last edited:
Back