The Ultimate force feedback "Wheel Buyers Guide" for PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X and XBox One

Australia
Australia
Soulfresh-ACV
OVERVIEW VIDEO GAME CONSOLE COMPATIBILITY (As of 20 Oct 2017)
* FANATEC PS4 compatibility is subject as per game title/developer and not officially licensed with Sony or Sony Playstation 4.

NOTE:
  • This is to assist people transitioning from controller to wheel racing or maybe even encourage controller racers to transition to wheels as they are becoming more and more affordable and compatible
  • All of the wheels mentioned are fully compatible on PC
  • This post is to provide a list of wheels currently still available for purchase in the market
  • Primary focus will be force feedback wheels and basic specs/info. This will ONLY include popular wheels on the market as per native game support (maybe except Fanatec wheels)
  • FEEL FREE to ask fellow owners any questions that might help your new/upgrade wheel buying decision
  • Please be mature and share constructive and informative experience if you ONLY own/owned one or multiple wheels. What you consider to be dumb questions might not be for others especially to those who are just starting out. Be welcoming and courteous
  • This is NOT a general support discussion thread for each wheel. Please post any of your issues relevant to your wheel discussion post which could be found here
  • This is also NOT for voicing your frustrations in regards to platform support on PS4/XBox One for older wheels. Get over it. It is history. However you can still voice your frustrations somewhere here
Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V2

Compatibility: PS3/PS4/XBox One/PC | Release Year: 2014 | Price: Very High (Check)
Wheel Rotation: 900° | Shifters: NO | Pedals: No
Comments: Does not include steering wheel or pedals. PS4/XBox One requires compatible steering wheel or wheel hub
GTP Thread: Link

CSL Elite Racing Wheel Bundle

Compatibility: PS4/XBox One/PC | Release Year: 2017 | Price: High (Check)
Wheel Rotation: 1080° | Shifters: Paddle | Pedals: Gas & Brake

Logitech G29

Compatibility: PS3/PS4/PC | Release Year: 2015 | Price: Mid (Check)
Wheel Rotation: 900° | Shifters: Paddle | Pedals: Clutch+Brake+Gas
Comments: Preceded by Logitech G27.

Logitech G920

Compatibility: XBox One/PC | Release Year: 2015 | Price: Mid (Check)
Wheel Rotation: 900° | Shifters: Paddle | Pedals: Clutch+Brake+Gas

Thrustmaster T-GT

Compatibility: PS4/PC | Release Year: 2017 | Price: High (Check)
Wheel Rotation: 1080° | Shifters: Paddle | Pedals: Brake+Gas+Clutch
Comments: GT Sport official wheel with T3PA pedals

Thrustmaster T150

Compatibility: PS3/PS4/PC | Release Year: 2015 | Price: Low (Check)
Wheel Rotation: 1080° | Shifters: Paddle | Pedals: Brake+Gas
Comments: Built-in official buttons for PlayStation4 (PS/SHARE/OPTIONS)

Thrustmaster T300RS

Compatibility: PS3/PS4/PC | Release Year: 2014 | Price: Mid (Check)
Wheel Rotation: 1080° | Shifters: Paddle | Pedals: Brake+Gas

Thrustmaster T300 GT Racing Wheel

Compatibility: PS3/PS4/PC | Release Year: 2016 | Price: Mid (Check)
Wheel Rotation: 1080° | Shifters: Paddle | Pedals: Brake+Gas+Clutch
Comments: GT branded edition of original T300RS with T3PA pedals

Thrustmaster T300RS (599XX EVO Alcantara Edition)

Compatibility: PS3/PS4/PC | Release Year: 2015 | Price: High (Check)
Wheel Rotation: 1080° | Shifters: Paddle | Pedals: Brake+Clutch+Gas
Comments: Alternative edition of original T300RS with Thrustmaster 599XX EVO 30 Wheel and T3PA pedals

Thrustmaster T300RS (Servo Base Edition)

Compatibility: PS3/PS4/PC | Release Year: 2015 | Price: Mid (Check)
Wheel Rotation: 1080° | Shifters: Paddle | Pedals: Not Included
Comments: Base ONLY

Thrustmaster T500RS

Compatibility: PS3/PS4/PC | Release Year: 2011 | Price: High (Check)
Wheel Rotation: 1080° | Shifters: Paddle | Pedals: Clutch+Brake+Gas
Comments: PS4 in-game support. Cannot use D-pad in PS 4 system menu.

Thrustmaster TMX

Compatibility: Xbox One/PC | Release Year: 2016 | Price: Low (Check)
Wheel Rotation: 900° | Shifters: Paddle | Pedals: Brake+Gas

Thrustmaster TX (Ferrari 458 Edition)

Compatibility: Xbox One/PC | Release Year: 2014 | Price: Mid (Check)
Wheel Rotation: 900° | Shifters: Paddle | Pedals: Brake+Gas
Comments: Also available standalone base version, TX Servo Base Racing Wheel

Thrustmaster TX (Leather Edition)

Compatibility: Xbox One/PC | Release Year: 2015 | Price: Mid (Check)
Wheel Rotation: 900° | Shifters: Paddle | Pedals: Brake+Clutch+Gas
Comments: Alternative edition of original TX (Ferrari 458 Edition) with TM Leather 28 GT 11" wheel and T3PA pedals

Thrustmaster TX (Servo Base Edition)

Compatibility: Xbox One/PC | Release Year: 2015 | Price: Mid (Check)
Wheel Rotation: 900° | Shifters: Paddle | Pedals: Not Included
Comments: Base ONLY

PS4 in-game support depends on each game.

Last edited:
Not sure if it would help. People would recommend what they own so the cheapest wheels will get the most votes most likely.

And you will have a lot of people voting on a wheel while not having tested all the others. I can´t vote for example because I haven´t tried the CSW V2 nor the cheapests Fanatec and Thrustmaster wheels.

Polls have a tendency to misslead very hard to do :)

My TX is 900 degrees in teory but the soft locks make it effectively around 820 if I don´t remember wrong. It´s quite a bit less then 900 anyway for some reason. I can get to 900 degrees but you would then have to fight max ffb to get the last 40 degrees on each side.

The trouble with your poll is that so many wheels can be recommended under specific circumstances :)

I own 4 wheels at the moment, and each fills a particular niche:
  • I recommend the Logitech DFGT for new PS3 simracers who want an inexpensive but decent wheel to start off their simracing career. It's king of the €100-150 market.
  • I recommend the Logitech G25/27 for those who want a decent compatible experience with a nice low latency FFB on PS3 (Thrustmaster wheels are only supported on a few PS3 games), and as the absolute best way to get quality wheel, pedals and shifter for under €250.
  • I recommend the Fanatec Porsche GT2 to those who want Xbox360 and PS3 support in a single device (and dislike the strangely shaped plastic CSR rim).
  • I recommend the Thrustmaster T500 as arguably the best way to experience GT5/GT6 and future PS4 titles (although I guess it now competes with T300 so then you get into discussion of relative quality of pedals, paddles and rims)

There's no "one size fits all" recommendation. It's all about cost, compatibility and compromises.

Not sure if it would help. People would recommend what they own so the cheapest wheels will get the most votes most likely.

And you will have a lot of people voting on a wheel while not having tested all the others. I can´t vote for example because I haven´t tried the CSW V2 nor the cheapests Fanatec and Thrustmaster wheels.

Polls have a tendency to misslead very hard to do :)

The trouble with your poll is that so many wheels can be recommended under specific circumstances :)

I own 4 wheels at the moment, and each fills a particular niche:
  • I recommend the Logitech DFGT for new PS3 simracers who want an inexpensive but decent wheel to start off their simracing career. It's king of the €100-150 market.
  • I recommend the Logitech G25/27 for those who want a decent compatible experience with a nice low latency FFB on PS3 (Thrustmaster wheels are only supported on a few PS3 games), and as the absolute best way to get quality wheel, pedals and shifter for under €250.
  • I recommend the Fanatec Porsche GT2 to those who want Xbox360 and PS3 support in a single device (and dislike the strangely shaped plastic CSR rim).
  • I recommend the Thrustmaster T500 as arguably the best way to experience GT5/GT6 and future PS4 titles (although I guess it now competes with T300 so then you get into discussion of relative quality of pedals, paddles and rims)

There's no "one size fits all" recommendation. It's all about cost, compatibility and compromises.

Valid points. However, this poll is meant to allow newcomers to see popularity of each wheel as recommended by owners as a guide in conjunction with the overview and the basic specs in the OP to make it easier for them to decide based on their own requirements, platform, budget etc.

It's not meant to be "that wheel is better the other" type of poll hence if you have a G27 and a Thrustmaster TX and think they both great wheels for their specific platform or whatever reasons /purpose and you like to recommend the two, you are free to do so and that's why I deliberately left the option for people to vote multiple wheels. Polls are never meant to be definitive. And just as the title of the poll, I use softer words as a result like "recommend" not "others should get" if that makes sense.

Would love to make it bit clearer on the poll but unfortunately doesn't have the option to do so. ;)

Last edited:
Don't forget the TM T80 and Fanatec CSR Elite wheels :)

I'll vote in the poll once TM releases the T300RS.

Jerome

Don't forget the TM T80 and Fanatec CSR Elite wheels :)

I'll vote in the poll once TM releases the T300RS.

Jerome
Sorry as I said in the OP, only force feedback wheels (which T80 isn't) and ones that are still in market. Fanatec CSR Elite isn't available on Fanatec website anymore. Just trying to keep information as relevant to what's available in the market for consumers.

But please let me know if I missed out any other. This post is really dedicated to all those who never own a wheel or wanting to upgrade their existing one to have a single point for reference.

My TX is 900 degrees in teory but the soft locks make it effectively around 820 if I don´t remember wrong. It´s quite a bit less then 900 anyway for some reason. I can get to 900 degrees but you would then have to fight max ffb to get the last 40 degrees on each side.

Its about 850 degrees on mine.

OVERVIEW GAME CONSOLE COMPATIBILITY (As of 5 October 2014)

NOTE:
  • This is to assist people transitioning from controller to wheel racing or maybe even encourage controller racers to transition to wheels as they are becoming more and more affordable and compatible
  • This post is to provide a list of wheels currently still available for purchase in the market
  • Primary focus will be force feedback wheels and basic specs/info. This will ONLY include popular wheels on the market as per native game support (maybe except Fanatec wheels)
  • FEEL FREE to ask fellow owners any questions that might help your new/upgrade wheel buying decision
  • Please be mature and share constructive and informative experience if you ONLY own/owned one or multiple wheels. What you consider to be dumb questions might not be for others especially to those who are just starting out. Be welcoming and courteous
  • This is NOT a general support discussion thread for each wheel. Please post any of your issues relevant to your wheel discussion post which could be found here
  • This is also NOT for voicing your frustrations in regards to platform support on PS4/XBox One for older wheels. Get over it. It is history. However you can still voice your frustrations somewhere here

Compatibility: TBC | Release Year: 2014 | Price: Very High (Base only)
Wheel Rotation (Degrees): 900 | Shifters: NO | Pedals: No
Comments: Does not include steering wheel or pedals

Fanatec Forza Motorsport CSR
Compatibility: PS3/XBox 360/PC | Release Year: 2012 | Price: Mid
Wheel Rotation (Degrees): 900 | Shifters: Paddle | Pedals: No
Comments: Discounted bundles available to include pedals.

Fanatec Porsche 911 GT2
Compatibility: PS3/XBox 360/PC | Release Year: 2011 | Price: Mid

Fanatec Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2
Compatibility: PS3/PC | Release Year: 2009 | Price: Mid

Logitech Driving Force GT
Compatibility: PS2/PS3/PC | Release Year: 2008 | Price: Low
Wheel Rotation (Degrees): 900 | Shifters: Paddle + Stick | Pedals: Brake+Gas

Logitech G25
Compatibility: PS2/PS3/PC | Release Year: 2006 | Price: High
Wheel Rotation (Degrees): 900 | Shifters: Paddle + Stick | Pedals: Clutch+Brake+Gas
Comments: Succeeded by Logitech G27.

Logitech G27
Compatibility: PS2/PS3/PC | Release Year: 2009 | Price: Mid
Wheel Rotation (Degrees): 900 | Shifters: Paddle + Stick | Pedals: Clutch+Brake+Gas

Comments: Preceded by Logitech G25.

Mad Catz Pro Racing Wheel

Compatibility: XBox One/PC | Release Year: 2014 | Price: High
Wheel Rotation (Degrees): 900 | Shifters: Paddle | Pedals: Brake+Gas

Thrustmaster T100
Compatibility: PS3/PC | Release Year: 2014 | Price: Low

Wheel Rotation (Degrees): 270 | Shifters: Paddle | Pedals: Brake+Gas

Thrustmaster T300RS
Compatibility: PS3/PS4/PC | Release Year: 2014 | Price: High
Wheel Rotation (Degrees): 1080 | Shifters: Paddle | Pedals: Brake+Gas

Thrustmaster T500RS
Compatibility: PS3/PS4/PC | Release Year: 2011 | Price: High
Wheel Rotation (Degrees): 1080 | Shifters: Paddle | Pedals: Clutch+Brake+Gas

Thrustmaster TX
Compatibility: Xbox One/PC | Release Year: 2014 | Price: Mid
My fellow sim racer I greatly appreciate this post

NOTE:

Fanatec Porsche 911 GT2

Logitech G25

Logitech G27

Thrustmaster T100

Thrustmaster T300RS

Thrustmaster T500RS

Thrustmaster TX

Soulfresh_ACV my fellow SIM racer I greatly appreciate this. Like I told
SGETI

NOTE:

Fanatec Porsche 911 GT2

Logitech G25

Logitech G27

Thrustmaster T100

Thrustmaster T300RS

Thrustmaster T500RS

Thrustmaster TX

Soulfresh_ACV my fellow SIM racer I greatly appreciate this post like I told SGETI I was bitten by the SIM bug 2 month ago & like he told me there's no cure lol (tell u the truth not looking for one either lol) so this post is really
valuable once again thanks!!!!!!

Are the G25 and G27 the only wheels that can be toggled between various degrees of rotation (i.e., between 240° and 900°)? To me, that seems like a very desirable feature.

Also, given that Logitech seems to have discontinued the Driving Force GT (it's not on their product page for controllers anyway), I don't know if you'd want to reflect that in your summary. (Currently, it's going for a higher price online than even the G27!)

Last edited:
Are the G25 and G27 the only wheels that can be toggled between various degrees of rotation (i.e., between 240° and 900°)? To me, that seems like a very desirable feature.

Also, given that Logitech seems to have discontinued the Driving Force GT (it's not on their product page for controllers anyway), I don't know if you'd want to reflect that in your summary. (Currently, it's going for a higher price online than even the G27!)

As far as I know, all wheels comes with the ability for the user to change the amount of wheel lock/rotation. And the DFGT is much cheaper on Amazon and other retailers. Logitech always list their RRP but seldom update them. At least on the Australian version of Logitech's website.

Fanatec
)

That's depending on the game/platform. Fanatec has the best control, giving you 10 degrees increments. Having five profiles on the wheel is not bad either, regardless of game/platform. I have a rF2 profile, AC profile, PCars profile and a GT6 profile on my CSR. I even adjust the rotation on the fly depending on car.

As far as I know, all wheels comes with the ability for the user to change the amount of wheel lock/rotation. And the DFGT is much cheaper on Amazon and other retailers. Logitech always list their RRP but seldom update them. At least on the Australian version of Logitech's website.
For what it's worth, on the US version of the site, Amazon themselves aren't selling it (and Logitech won't honor the warranty unless you buy from an authorized reseller, as I discovered recently with some Logitech headphones), and the cheapest 3rd party seller price is $273.59 + $9.99 shipping. Meanwhile, the G27 is $204.99 with free shipping and sold directly by Amazon.

On a related note, if you're at all interested, here's the price history of the DFGT and the G27. The DFGT was $150 when Amazon last had it in stock, but now that it's not, you're forced to go with 3rd party sellers, and their price for it has gone through the roof. (There's a similar situation going on on Newegg, IIRC.) It really looks like Logitech has either discontinued it, at worst, or is having a shortage, at best. When I asked someone on their site about it, they said it was discontinued. But one of Logitech's reps came onto Reddit and denied that that was the case, so that certainly muddies the issue.

Anyway, I just thought that that might be relevant to anyone looking into wheels. I was interested in getting a DFGT, too, but given the compatibility issues of PS3 wheels with the PS4 and the skyrocketing price of the DFGT, I've put off replacing my old, PS2 Logitech wheel. :(

That's depending on the game/platform. Fanatec has the best control, giving you 10 degrees increments. Having five profiles on the wheel is not bad either, regardless of game/platform. I have a rF2 profile, AC profile, PCars profile and a GT6 profile on my CSR. I even adjust the rotation on the fly depending on car.
That definitely sounds nice. Though the Fanatec wheels are pretty pricey, IIRC. And I have no idea what their support/reliability is like, either, which worries me. (And after reading reviews like this on the incredibly expensive Thrustmaster T500RS, I've been leery of expensive wheels.)

I am so dissapointed that the G27 doesn't work with PS4. I have cancelled every racing game I had pre-ordered for the PS4 in light of these news. Was looking forward to The Crew :(

Anyone else as dissappointed as I am?

Last edited:
I am so dissapointed that the G27 doesn't work with PS4. I have cancelled ecery racing game I had pre-ordered for the PS4 in light of these news. Was looking forward to The Crew :(
What I don't understand is how the Thrustmaster T500RS, which was definitely made before the PS4 came out, could be PS4 compatible if a security chip is the issue with steering wheels and similar peripherals on the PS4. Though it makes me somewhat hopeful that the G27 will somehow work on the PS4, despite Logitech's current reservations.

Especially since my old Logitech Driving Force broke last night and I broke down and ordered a G27. :)

It's not as much a LITERAL "chip" as much as it uses a more secure programming language to recognize the controllers.

Honestly, we were lucky G27 ever worked on PlayStation AT ALL as it's not even licensed, it's PC controller that just happened to work so well that it actually got official support in some MAJOR titles. Pretty generous of Sony really.

It's not as much a LITERAL "chip" as much as it uses a more secure programming language to recognize the controllers.

Honestly, we were lucky G27 ever worked on PlayStation AT ALL as it's not even licensed, it's PC controller that just happened to work so well that it actually got official support in some MAJOR titles. Pretty generous of Sony really.

Let's hope Sony's generosity keeps coming then. Otherwise my racing days are over...

Let's hope Sony's generosity keeps coming then. Otherwise my racing days are over...
Well, they're over. =(

At least they're letting us T500RS owners use our wheels on PS4, or at least it seems like that right now. And maybe, JUST MAYBE, since the DFGT is a licensed Gran Turismo wheel it'll work with GT7... I wouldn't hold my breath on that, tho.

My DFGT have FFB broken, so that now I can't play on Gran Turismo 6 without have a bad scratching feeling and forced to play on PC with 0% force (luckily, at least doesn't carry the scrathing feel this way).

So, I'll have to buy a new steering wheel when I'll have money, what do you suggest me?
I would go for G27 to be proven solid and good, but its non-compatibility with PS4 (and so GT7) decreases the chances that I'll get that. Now, only 2 options remain: T500RS or T300RS (quality or price)? Consider that I will play on GT6 for PS3 untill GT7 for PS4 will come out, than on that, plus I got The Crew, Simraceway (based on rFactor 1) and Assetto Corsa on the PC.

Probably it will take some time for me to get required cash, so there's the chance that in the meantime Logitech will release a wheel compatible for both PC and PS4 also.

Both wheels have their pros and cons. But since you mentioned PS4, then T300RS unless T500RS's price drops significantly to justify which is highly unlikely unless a new model is coming out to replace it.

People who own both worth wheels can give you more of a run down of the two differences to help you decide.

I haven't tried the Madcatz stuff, so I can't comment. I did own a G25, I do own a T500 RS right now (my current weapon of choice). I did own CSP from Fanatec.

-Thrustmaster and Logitech make excellent products and have EXCELLENT customer support.

-Fanatec products are generally lower quality (I race with people who have Fanatec wheels and the Porsche 911 wheels have many issues) and from personal experience- Fanatec cust support is as bad as you have read about. My CSP's never worked right, I had 6 different RMA issues and Fanatec refused to replace the pedals. Caveat Emptor

-The G27 is probably the best bang-for-the-buck with the shift lights and the shifter. The brake may be the worst of the lot as well. If you get a G27, get a load cell mod right away. I never had a G27 but my G25 lasted almost 5 years. The wheel itself still works but the pedals need to be replaced. I had 1 RMA issue with my first G25 a couple months after purchase and Logitech replaced the wheel. I have had another RMA issue with a mouse from Logitech and they replaced that too. They are the best. Also the G27 has a ton of after market mods available since it is the most popular of all wheels.

-The T500 is the best overall IMHO. The FFB is amazing, the stock brake is great (even though it is a Hall sensor and not a load cell) the build quality is top notch and it's built like a brick outhouse. I have had to replace the stock brake as the mounting for the hall sensor broke (after almost 3 years). Thrustmaster has replaced a hall sensor for the gas and the shifter paddles for me for free under warranty. There are less after market mods for the T500 than for the G27, but there are some

Last edited by a moderator:
I have my order placed with amazon for the T300 GTE and will have to wait another two weeks or so until it arrives. I got a very good price for it at £239. So I have been looking at the T500 RS in the meantime and am now undecided again. The problem is I am not sure of a few things.

As I want to use the wheel with Project Cars when it is released:

Is there a huge difference between the two considering the price difference of £130?

Does the T500 come with a shifter as standard, as the pictures show pedals with a clutch, but not of the shifter?

Will all the buttons be mappable for each wheel?

Will a T300 be expandable to take the 3 pedal and shifter?

Will I be able to use a keyboard alongside the wheel, as I have seen in some of the videos on this forum. If I have a keyboard setup to my PS4, would I be able to use it to a) enter text messages to other users in the lobby and/or b) use it to select other options that the wheel does not have enough buttons for?

Thanks for all of your help in advance.

Edit: Clarity.

(Replied here because your question belongs more to Sim Hardware section on GTP than in Project Cars forum)

First thing is T500RS will not be functional in PS4 system menu and also not have Share button/functionality if you care about these things. And not sure if this applies to all games, but someone mentioned somewhere on GTP that the Dualshock controller switches off as soon as the game (Driveclub) loads and detects the T500RS. So I'm not sure if this will also affect the use of a keyboard.

Shifter isn't included and support for either Thrustmaster TH8A/TH8RS depends on each game and Project Cars have confirmed support on PS4.

Owners of both wheels can give you better feedback on the differences between T500RS and T300RS particularly FFB etc.

Last edited:
(Replied here because your question belongs more to Sim Hardware section on GTP than in Project Cars forum)

Thank you for your reply. It is very helpful.

I originally posted over on the Project cars forum because I had specific Project cars questions, but no worried that you answerred here.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Back