The Ultimate Street Car Challenge (Restarted)

• Thread starter Jetboy.
  • 114 comments
United States
Pennsylvania
Darkdeeds427
The USCC is just that- the challenge to find the ultimate street-legal supercar. The tests range from the enigmatic 0-60, through the Quarter-mile, the standing mile, the 0-100-0 test (A favorite of Britain), and the Ultimate benchmark fantasy number: Top Speed.

This whole article is based off an old Motor Trend I have. Hidden away in a battered June 2003 issue was the perfect story, dubbed "Speeding." There were 10 vehicles in the test, 7 of which I could duplicate easily. Among the Test Vehicle were a Corvette ZO6, a Viper SRT-10, an Mitsubishi Evolution VIII, a Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG, a Jaguar XK-R, a Mustang SVT Cobra, the SVT Lightning (thrown in for kicks), a Lamborghini Murcielago, a Ferrari 575 Marranello, and the Mosler MT900 Photon.

The Lambo could be replaced with the Audi LeMans Quattro, since Audi based the Quattro off of the Lambo. The SVT Lightning and the Ferrari were thrown out altogether, and the Mosler was replaced by the Callaway C12. Also included in my "Super Test" were vehicles either MT could not get, or vehicles released after the publication.

Full Line-up
  • Corvette ZO6
    Viper SRT-10
    Mitsu Evo VIII MR
    CLK55 AMG
    Jaguar XK-R performance
    Mustang SVT Cobra R
    Audi LeMans Quattro
    Callaway C12
    Saleen S7
    Ruf RGT
    Subaru WRX STi (type GD) '02
    Aston Martin Vanquish
    Lotus Esprit V8 '02
    TVR Cerbera Speed Six
    Pontiac GTO
    Nissan 350Z (GT4 Edition)
    Honda NSX Type R
    BMW M3 GTR
    Holden Monaro CV8
    Ford Performance Vehicles GT
    Ford GT '05
    Mazda RX-7 Spirit R
    AC Cars 427 S/C (Thrown in for fun)
    Zonda C12S

[UMCC (Ultimate Muscle Car Challenge) Starts at post #87]
[USSC (Ultimate Street Car Challenge, Front Wheel Drive) Starts At Post #111]

Sounds good mate, I'm eagerly awaiting the results of your test.

You should also send each car out for a few laps (B-Spec to ensure consistnecy) on your chosen circuit as well, get some lap times for each car.

Revheadnz
Sounds good mate, I'm eagerly awaiting the results of your test.

You should also send each car out for a few laps (B-Spec to ensure consistnecy) on your chosen circuit as well, get some lap times for each car.
Thanks, the B-spec test was one that I was going to do, but I need to find a track with a good ballance of speed and handling... Any sugestions?

Jetboys427
The tests range from the enigmatic 0-60, through the Quarter-mile, the standing mile, the 0-100-0 test (A favorite of Britain), and the Ultimate benchmark fantasy number: Top Speed.

So all the tests are comprised of measuring only straight line speed? You can't do a large comprehensive test of cars, and not include testing their handling and general driveability! At least throw in testing on one track.

Fred.The.Baddie
So all the tests are comprised of measuring only straight line speed? You can't do a large comprehensive test of cars, and not include testing their handling and general driveability! At least throw in testing on one track.
Well, as stated above, I was going to choose a track for B-spec mode, 3 laps, but I could not decide which track to use. Stupid me, it only makes sense-- supercars on a super track, so, the Nurburgring it is for one of my Road-test Tracks. The other you will decide, by majority decision of the posts. (Try to make it a handling-oriented track, not something like LeMans...)

But enough of what is to come; here's what you came for: The Performance.

0-60

A test with real-world applications: How fast can you get up to freeway speeds? The critical moment is the getaway from a standstill. A quick car must not only exploit horsepower, but also gobs of torque, high-speed shifts, and enough tire grip to make it all work.

1. Ford GT '05
3.066​
2. Audi LeMans Quattro
3.236​
3. AC Cars 427 S/C '67
3.665​
4. Zonda C12S
3.692​
5. Merc-Benz SLR McLaren
3.766​
6. Saleen S7
4.087​
7. Jaguar XK-R
4.166​
8. Viper SRT-10
4.250​
9. Subaru WRX STi
4.298​
10. Ruf RGT
4.362​
11. Corvette ZO6
4.438​
12. Lotus Esprit V8 '02
4.566​
13. Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR
4.728​
14. BMW M3 GTR
4.750​
15. Honda NSX-R
4.798​
16. Mustang SVT Cobra R
4.820​
17. TVR Cerbera Speed Six
4.983​
18. Aston Martin Vanquish
5.082​
19. Mazda RX-7 Spirit R
5.150​
20. Callaway C12
5.433​
21. Nissan 350Z (GT4)
5.433​
22. Pontiac GTO
5.466​
23. FPV GT
5.498​
24. TVR Cerbera Speed 12
5.716​
25. Merc-Benz CLK55 AMG
5.901​
26. Holden Monaro CV8
5.932​

And there you have it. As was predicted, the Ford GT did prove triumphant, with a stellar 3.066 second blast to Sixty. Also amazing was the WRX STi: It beat a Porsche. (Flame me, I don't care.) Notice this: 21 of the cars in the test got their asses handed to them by a car made 38 years ago. The AC was impressively fast and may prove an upset... Major dissappointments included the Callaway, (based off the Corvette and it still got whupped by the base model:confused: ), and the Aston Martin (17th?!). Hope you enjoyed my first installment.

Next up: Quarter Mile.

Jetboy

EDIT: New entries in Boldface.

Maybe Apricot Hill would be a good track for this? It has a couple straights, a hairpin, a few long corners, and a chicane, a little bit of everything (sort of).

Studentdriver
Maybe Apricot Hill would be a good track for this? It has a couple straights, a hairpin, a few long corners, and a chicane, a little bit of everything (sort of).
Hmm..... Yeah, why not? :) The Nur and Apricot Hill it may be...and maybe Cote d'Azure as well. Let's see what a couple of other people have to say...

Cote de';Azure should be one of your test circuits as its a track where exceptional cornering is needed and there are only two places to open up and one of those is uphil and bends so it could prove to be some of the more powerful cars downfall.

Oh, c'mon! No Speed 12? 👎 I think Nurburgring is a bad track for you to test on, really. I don't think B-Spec can be consistent enough there. Fuji 90s is a pretty good one, or Motegi East, to add in some nice esses.

The Speed 12 blurrs the line between full spec Racecar and supercar. I know it's street-legal (is Britain nuts?) but this was supposed to be using vehicles that were reasonably within a purchasing area. That's a bit much...

I am going to use the B-specie on Pace 3 to keep it nice and even, but I do not like the idea for Fuji 90's... That was one I took into consideration early on, but found it more biased towards extremely powerful cars, such as your Speed 12, than, say the GTO.

Jetboys427
The Speed 12 blurrs the line between full spec Racecar and supercar. I know it's street-legal (is Britain nuts?) but this was supposed to be using vehicles that were reasonably within a purchasing area. That's a bit much...

I am going to use the B-specie on Pace 3 to keep it nice and even, but I do not like the idea for Fuji 90's... That was one I took into consideration early on, but found it more biased towards extremely powerful cars, such as your Speed 12, than, say the GTO.

heheh good old blackpool, or info you can still order a speed 12, no joke, though in an interview, peter wheeler (previous seniouur) said he would have asked you not to buy it cos its too mental. but there you have it, you can still order one to my most recent knowledge.

if only i had known about your warning earlier then my disaster.

_kamikazefly_
heheh good old blackpool, or info you can still order a speed 12, no joke, though in an interview, peter wheeler (previous seniouur) said he would have asked you not to buy it cos its too mental. but there you have it, you can still order one to my most recent knowledge.

if only i had known about your warning earlier then my disaster.

You can't order them. There is only one. If you don't believe me, ask Live4speed, or visit www.speed12.info. I think the site is still down for today, though. Updates.

Jetboys427

But isn't the point of this to find the ultimate road car...? You just don't want to admit it. :lol:

I doubt it would win at many of the tests, like the 0-60, and other standing starts. The LSD isn't designed for that.

Ebiggs
You can't order them. There is only one. If you don't believe me, ask Live4speed, or visit www.speed12.info. I think the site is still down for today, though. Updates.

lol, no im not against you but are you sure, because in an interview with wheeler himself, it said that you cant order one (EVO magazine).....but ill make sure and see what info i can grab.

_kamikazefly_
lol, no im not against you but are you sure, because in an interview with wheeler himself, it said that you cant order one (EVO magazine).....but ill make sure and see what info i can grab.

I'm 99% sure you can't order one. The only one (as far as we know) is the one on the site I mentioned. Unless TVR has one hidden somewhere, that is it.

Edit: I think the Tuscan or T350C should have been used instead of the Cerbera Speed Six, at least. The Six is one of the lower powered ones. It may have a higher PWR, however, I'm not sure.

Jetboys427
Thanks, the B-spec test was one that I was going to do, but I need to find a track with a good ballance of speed and handling... Any sugestions?

Autumn Ring? I love that track, a car that is a real handler can beat a car that doesn't handle so well. Also Infieneon (sp?) raceway and Laguna Seca spring to mind as well. But Autumn Ring would be my first choice.

Grand Valley is a good track to test cars on. It has long enough straights to get up good speed but sharp corners as well. Also, what tires are you using for the tests? N2's?

The tires used are Sports Mediums (N2's?).

Fine, I will toss in the precious Speed 12 and the Merc McLaren SLR and post the updated results tomorrow. Everyone happy now? :lol:

Ebiggs
I'm 99% sure you can't order one. The only one (as far as we know) is the one on the site I mentioned. Unless TVR has one hidden somewhere, that is it.

Edit: I think the Tuscan or T350C should have been used instead of the Cerbera Speed Six, at least. The Six is one of the lower powered ones. It may have a higher PWR, however, I'm not sure.

woah this is getting more confusing, the speed 12 in question did not have as many vents and sat on silver wheels like the one in bottom right pic. that might be the one for all i know because its orangey thingy colour. but hell this dosnt matter, the speed 12 is sooo fast and brutal it was not put for production. and just LOOK AT THE DAMN THING, oh and i love the fact that its hard to get inside because of the roll cage. there is no other car you can compare to it. :scared:

_kamikazefly_
woah this is getting more confusing, the speed 12 in question did not have as many vents and sat on silver wheels like the one in bottom right pic. that might be the one for all i know because its orangey thingy colour. but hell this dosnt matter, the speed 12 is sooo fast and brutal it was not put for production. and just LOOK AT THE DAMN THING, oh and i love the fact that its hard to get inside because of the roll cage. there is no other car you can compare to it. :scared:

The extra bodywork has been scrapped off of retired or wrecked race versions for extra downforce and cooling. He has three sets of wheels/tires for road/track/ and show.

Edit: It also lost 50kg in the process of changing bodywork and that includes adding air jacks under the front end. 👍

Ebiggs
The extra bodywork has been scrapped off of retired or wrecked race versions for extra downforce and cooling. He has three sets of wheels/tires for road/track/ and show.

Edit: It also lost 50kg in the process of changing bodywork and that includes adding air jacks under the front end. 👍

what the hell do they want to remove anymore weight.... 50KG!!!!!!! thats a lot. it probarbly weighs less then my arm. it wil FLY! i love TVR (even if they didnt do that, i just love'em for making the car)

You mentioned you were trying to decide on another testing track and since I see these as "supercars" and designed to be driven on streets. So I think you need to make it a city track and not Tokyo, NY or Seoul. That way you are really testing everything about the car, suspension loading and unloading, acceleration and cornering under difficult conditions. Personally, I think Hong Kong.

phattboy

_kamikazefly_
what the hell do they want to remove anymore weight.... 50KG!!!!!!! thats a lot. it probarbly weighs less then my arm. it wil FLY! i love TVR (even if they didnt do that, i just love'em for making the car)

Removing the weight really wasn't the point. The extra downforce and cooling was.

Shentar
How did you do the 0-60 times?

He probably went to the top speed test and quickly paused it once the top speed gauge hit 60 (a few tries probably to get as low as possible, instead of going by the speedo) and then checking the current time.

Are you using traction control on these things?

Yes, traction control (setting 5) is used on every vehicle. Like the idea for HK there, phattboy.

Ok, now, as promised, the Quarter Mile Test.

Quarter Mile

A very straight-forward test, but with a deceptive amount of strategy behind it. At least PD gave us a proper venue to do this, and nowhere else better than glorious Las Vegas.

1. Auldi LeMans
10.849@131mph​

2. Ford GT
11.172@131​

3. Zonda C12S
11.509@129​

4. Merc-Benz SLR McLaren
11.619@125​

5. Saleen S7
11.766@132​

6. AC Cars 427 S/C
11.771@124​

7. Viper SRT-10
12.076@120​

8. TVR Cerbera Speed 12
12.180@142​

9. Ruf RGT
12.524@114​

10. Jaguar XK-R
12.644@112​

11. Chevrolet Corvette ZO6
12.955@112​

12. Lotus Esprit V8
13.014@110​

13. Subaru WRX STi
13.017@105​

14. Mitsu Evolution VIII MR
13.063@107​

15. TVR Cerbera Speed Six
13.119@114​

16. Aston Martin Vanquish
13.132@113​

17. BMW M3 GTR
13.213@110​

18. Honda NSX Type R
13.227@108​

19. Mustang SVT Cobra R
13.270@109​

20. Callaway C12
13.288@116​

21. Merc-Benz CLK55 AMG
13.629@117​

22. Mazda RX-7 Spirit R
13.632@105​

23. Pontiac GTO
14.037@102​

24. Nissan 350Z (GT4)
14.045@102​

25. FPV GT
14.046@104​

26. Holden Monaro CV8
14.279@101​

Amazing how close these vehicles are, and yet the margin between 1st and 26th is about 3.4 seconds. Take note on the times between 23rd and 25th....:eek:

Back