Potato...

• Thread starter VBR
  • 1,339 comments
Yeah, this fits with what I was suggesting earlier. Lift off oversteer is reduced which obviously leads to the statement..lift off underseer is increased!
Trail braking will probably become more important now.
I still think it's a step in the right direction... just a touch too far.

Yeah this isn't good for me, at all. I rely on lift oversteer to turn the car in, there was already a shortage of it IMHO and now even less, seriously annoying. Around Gardens i am dying, just CANNOT turn the cars in, massively frustrating.

Slow down your corner entry. They don't plough if your entry speed is good. You'll have tons of corner exit grip to make the time back that you feel you are losing.

100% cannot do that. Any slower and i get tagged relentlessly because i am too slow. I feel the DS4 does not have the same range of motion as a wheel and also feel the game is way, way too reliant trail braking to attain corner entry. Even change of direction is brutal, the right/left at gardens before the four right handers is insane, I get eaten alive there.

100% cannot do that. Any slower and i get tagged relentlessly because i am too slow. I feel the DS4 does not have the same range of motion as a wheel and also feel the game is way, way too reliant trail braking to attain corner entry. Even change of direction is brutal, the right/left at gardens before the four right handers is insane, I get eaten alive there.

If I remember correctly, the DS4 doesn't give you full lock every time. It's sort of speed dependent, or you could say it optimises lock according to speed.

The only other advice I could offer is to try an early but more gradual turn in. Trail braking is required quite a lot, but that's how you can help rotation, and have the tyres doing less work all at once. Less brake and less turn in kinda results in better braking and turn in. I know this sounds backwards, but I think it's more down to me trying to describe it.

The above is base on stick for steering, triggers for brake and throttle and manual gears. If in automatic, I always used to kinda force the car into the gear needed for a corner. Slow down enough for it to auto change. I sort of used the brake as a down shift if I was in a to higher gear as I was entering (steering towards the apex) of a corner. All it needs is slightest of touches on the brake trigger. (Again, sorry if this isn't easily understood, or isn't applicable to you).

I knew I shouldn't have just checked the new cars of the update, but I woke up sick so I didn't had the time to drive anything else.

I'm checking out the MR cars I have now.

This might be the biggest change so far in the game. So many Gr.3 cars that were too dangerous and unstable now became easy to control. The interesting combos for FIA Manufacturer's will increase dramatically.

Seems like a positive update for me, but it's possible that handling the cars is too easy now and this might shorten the gap between drivers of different skills...

January update was a big one after all.

If I remember correctly, the DS4 doesn't give you full lock every time. It's sort of speed dependent, or you could say it optimises lock according to speed.

The only other advice I could offer is to try an early but more gradual turn in. Trail braking is required quite a lot, but that's how you can help rotation, and have the tyres doing less work all at once. Less brake and less turn in kinda results in better braking and turn in. I know this sounds backwards, but I think it's more down to me trying to describe it.

The above is base on stick for steering, triggers for brake and throttle and manual gears. If in automatic, I always used to kinda force the car into the gear needed for a corner. Slow down enough for it to auto change. I sort of used the brake as a down shift if I was in a to higher gear as I was entering (steering towards the apex) of a corner. All it needs is slightest of touches on the brake trigger. (Again, sorry if this isn't easily understood, or isn't applicable to you).

The other aspect to look at is the track itself and where the grip is best based on its undulations. At Gardens I had the exact problems Neville describes until I kept practicing...Its still not my best track, but if you’re getting smashed in the first section you have to learn the best way through it. Gotta be good through there.
Alsace is very similar and most tracks are...There’s the subtle bank and undulation and it makes all the difference in line and car behavior.
Gardens seems a bit of a tricked up design imo, but also it’s not the cars. You gotta look at technique. I thought the same thing at first Garundersterrdens. It’s track knowledge. I went to the NSX and was able to figure it out a bit better, now my Corvette is as fast as the mr gr4 for me.

I come from the PCARS franchise where the cars feel WAY, WAY looser than they do on GTS. They were actually too loose in PCARS2 but my method was to play with the diff so when i lift i get just enough turn in.

I pick up GTS as PC2 had more bugs than a mangy dog, and it feels like a "400hp zamboni", i've always struggled with the lack of turn in. Then they reduced it further (1.23) and further again. Like come on, it's getting ridiculous, let me turn in FFS.

I come from the PCARS franchise where the cars feel WAY, WAY looser than they do on GTS. They were actually too loose in PCARS2 but my method was to play with the diff so when i lift i get just enough turn in.

I pick up GTS as PC2 had more bugs than a mangy dog, and it feels like a "400hp zamboni", i've always struggled with the lack of turn in. Then they reduced it further (1.23) and further again. Like come on, it's getting ridiculous, let me turn in FFS.
What?

Defefinitely easier to get the power down but still struggling under braking with MR Gr3 cars, will making it easier to get the power down make the field spread of talent smaller?

Also my G29 feels different under braking, not sure what it is though.

Be sure to brake and slow down before downshifting. I had a bad habit of downshifting the moment I hit the brakes. That causes too much engine braking and the rear tires essentially lock up. This is true of all cars but more of an issue with the MR's.

Like come on, it's getting ridiculous, let me turn in FFS.

The braking bias is not directly linear as it was before so you may need to experiment.

Before -5 was the most under steer and +5 was the most over steer. Now, it's a little more car independent and each increment does something a little different.

As I stated in my vid, I went from -5 on the Huracan to -3, even though it's still a little more loose than the Ferrari. On the Ferrari, it seemed to turn better with the -4 brake balance. Even though that should have induced more under steer, -3 or less didn't seem to transfer enough weight forward.

You may also be braking too late. try to brake before the black sign on the outside of the corner.

Last edited:
The braking bias is not directly linear as it was before so you may need to experiment.

Before -5 was the most under steer and +5 was the most over steer. Now, it's a little more car independent and each increment does something a little different.

Now that is interesting.

I just used the Gr. 3 Lambo which was pretty much undrivable for me before 1.23 und just ok after it for the Fuji Endurance race. Nice driving car now. Can't comment on realism, but it's much easier to control now, esp. on worn tires.

Now I know why I'm getting understeer. It's that dreaded controller bug thing. This is my second DS$ after the first one wouldn't turn right. My silver GT Sport DS4 is nearly 10 months old. I take care of my stuff. This just started happening after the update. Thought it was the game simulating understeer on the dirty part of the track. Tried resetting the contoler and did two Sport MOde Race Bs. I went off at the Four Brothers in the Scirocco and RCZ. Never replaced so many controllers(my XB1 controllers too) in my lifetime.

@tofuhero , Mini R50 driver here too, i'm disappointed by the in-game engine sound.

Guys, what's FR, MR, etc. ?? ( front engine - rwd? )

Yeah, the sound is not fantastic... I don't really hear supercharger whine on the Cooper S in GTS. And as I mentioned, the engine note at rev limit is way off from the real thing -- in GTS it sounds more like the engine pitch at about 4500-5000 rpm, instead of the limiter's close to 7000 rpm. But sound is something I'm disappointed in across the board with most GTS cars, and I'm sure we both notice the differences especially in the MINI because we drive them.

But they've got the feel of the car closer on Sport tires with these latest physics changes, so kudos to PD.

And yes, FR = front engine, rwd, MR = mid-engine, rwd

I just tested the R34 GT-R at Tsukuba a few days ago, and tested it again today. Difference of 2 tenths of a second.

Did the same with Alfa Romeo 4C and the difference was 1.1 seconds.

MR cars usually are the most affected by physics updates because they take more skill to hot-lap than any other drivetrain layout.

Change your steering input setting to use the DS4 motion sensor in GTS. I'm almost entirely sure this works like steering on a wheel.

Change your steering input setting to use the DS4 motion sensor in GTS. I'm almost entirely sure this works like steering on a wheel.

It does, mostly. It's not easy doing long races though as that controller gets surprisingly heavy after 10 or so laps. Far superior accuracy though when compared to the left stick steering. I'd still rather have a wheel & pedals of course but 6-axis control is a decent middle ground. And my wife much prefers it over a rig.

It does, mostly. It's not easy doing long races though as that controller gets surprisingly heavy after 10 or so laps.

Any chance you are holding the DS4 like a wheel with your arms stretched out in front of you? Because that's not necessary. Just let the controller rest on your lap and tilt it left and right by lifting one side up in a vertical movement. With the proper technique, you'll find it becomes surprisingly easy to rotate all the way to full lock without much physical effort at all.

Far superior accuracy though when compared to the left stick steering. I'd still rather have a wheel & pedals of course but 6-axis control is a decent middle ground. And my wife much prefers it over a rig.

Yes, absolutely.

VBR
The physics in GT Sport have been updated according to the 1.32 changelog. However, exactly what has changed hasn't been revealed.

"8. Physics Simulation Model
 - The handling behaviour of the cars have been adjusted;"
Source.

Keeping in mind The Emperor's New Clothes effect, what actual changes have you personally noticed so far?

See also;

The Updated Tyre Model Thread (1.23)

Flaws of The Tyre Model Simulation

:gtpflag:
Unfortunately Mercedes F1 car becomes slower than before while accelerating

Anyone try Mt Panorama with gr3 yet?
Feels like the cars are much stiffer and track well, but are easier to break loose. Track bumps and curbs feel much more pronounced than I recall...

I did the route x race, just so I don’t have to do it again and to look at the scenery. I swear the halo around the front tyre indicator went blue, like it was saying they were cold. I can’t get this affect anywhere else.

I did the route x race, just so I don’t have to do it again and to look at the scenery. I swear the halo around the front tyre indicator went blue, like it was saying they were cold. I can’t get this affect anywhere else.

This has been discussed in the update thread. Others have said it's always been there but it's more noticeable on the route x track because it's on all the time, whereas it's normally less prevalent. Can't say myself, haven't played much this week yet.

This has been discussed in the update thread. Others have said it's always been there but it's more noticeable on the route x track because it's on all the time, whereas it's normally less prevalent. Can't say myself, haven't played much this week yet.
Yeah, I guess I could have been there before and I’ve just never had the conditions for it. You’d expect them to go cold if you stopped on track but they don’t

I have a G29 as well, and noticed alot more feedback under braking as well, as if you can now feel the ripples and undulations in the track surface more clearly. Not sure if its placebo, but it feel different in a very good way.
Yes I feel a shimmy when you’re trail braking and get understeer.

The NSX GT3 is an even more enjoyable drive now!

Has anyone tried to perform donuts with the new update? I can get the car to slide around but it won’t do a proper donut.

Has anyone tried to perform donuts with the new update? I can get the car to slide around but it won’t do a proper donut.

Mmm doughnuts... nice and sugary with a ton of jam all at one end waiting to cover you when you take the first bite... now THAT'S a proper doughnut :D

I've also noticed, exponentially, that low speed turn in on mr and rr cars no longer have that crazy off throttle oversteer, especially noticable in chicanes. Much more weighted and realistic imo.

Sounds like I might have to revisit the 911s and the old Alpine then. Found them difficult to drive as I have a natural tendency to oversteer on corners.

PS Ye canne change the laws of physics... :lol: (she's giving it all she's got...)

I voted much better. I love these new physics, I think everything or almost is better, especially the braking and the TCS doesn't take away 80% of my acceleration while cornering like before this update, even at only 2 TCS.

Back