Potato...

• Thread starter VBR
  • 560 comments

How do you feel about the new tyre model?

• Much Better

Votes: 119 27.5%
  • Better

Votes: 185 42.8%
  • Dunno

Votes: 60 13.9%
  • Worse

Votes: 31 7.2%
  • Much Worse

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 14 3.2%
  • Neither Better Nor Worse

Votes: 6 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Honestly, I'm a bit indifferent about it. On one hand I feel like my cars are faster around the corners just by a little, and it's easier to sense when your wheels are about to get go.
On the other, straight line grip still feels almost non-existent especially off the line, and 0-60 times of a couple stock cars I tested reflect that. I think it's better than before, but still not as good as I think it could be.

People here talking about more understeer????

I just don't feel it , what I feel is way, way less grip out of slow corners, way more twitchy.
I agree with this. AWD already have a significant advantage on this area, and this update only served to increase that advantage.

I just bought the N500 Gr3 Corvette, took it for a spin or two and then after testing the limits and playing around for 3 laps i did a clean one.

Again everything seems more predictable and easier to catch. And you can really see how the car is working and twitching. So much fun..

I just bought the N500 Gr3 Corvette, took it for a spin or two and then after testing the limits and playing around for 3 laps i did a clean one.

Again everything seems more predictable and easier to catch. And you can really see how the car is working and twitching. So much fun..

I just noticed something, at 1:04 you can hear "scrubbing" from the tires that are about to give up, impressive!

straight line grip still feels almost non-existent especially off the line
This is my problem with the physics at the moment. It's especially irritating trying to recover from a spin out in a semi-powerful, let alone powerful, car. I'm no expert but it seems so unrealistically easy to go around again trying to get the car straightened out at low speeds.

Maybe PD should take a look back at their physics engine for GT6 because I don't remember launch grip being this much a problem then. There being way fewer drag lobbies than there were in GT6 is probably a testament to how much of a step down GTS is in that department.

This is my problem with the physics at the moment. It's especially irritating trying to recover from a spin out in a semi-powerful, let alone powerful, car. I'm no expert but it seems so unrealistically easy to go around again trying to get the car straightened out at low speeds.

Maybe PD should take a look back at their physics engine for GT6 because I don't remember launch grip being this much a problem then. There being way fewer drag lobbies than there were in GT6 is probably a testament to how much of a step down GTS is in that department.
Absolutely. In particular, one of the cars I tested stock was a 2014 Corvette Stingray. From what I've heard, Chevrolet says the car should get to 60 in 3.8 seconds. At Blue Moon using Grid Start races with real settings and 1 opponent, I was on average an entire second slower than that on SH tires no matter how I launched. Even when I swapped to RSS tires, I still couldn't match it.

Earlier today I did the Brands Hatch circuit experiences, and the entire time I spent driving that R8 was just fighting the complete lack of rear end grip. It felt like I was driving a shopping cart being pushed backwards.

My fully upgraded Supra with a perfect Sarthe drag tune only managed a pathetically slow 3.766 seconds to 60. With my cornering setup it will spin it's rear wheels even at 120+ MPH on RSS tires. The grip just doesn't seem to be anywhere near as much as it should be in a straight line.

Last edited:
The new tire model is much improved, cars feel like they slide more gradually mid corner. Also notice more stability while braking.

I've noticed the TCS kicking in more during fast corners (particularly the sweeping left right after the hairpin at Maggiore) suggesting less lateral grip. TCS-1 is ok, but at TCS-2 it scrubs a fair bit of speed unless you're super smooth.

I prefer MR cars now over FR cars. Used to be the other way around.
Maybe i have to practice but i have to slow down sooo much with FR cars to avoid understeer on corner entry and i feel they are harder on corner exit also

I prefer MR cars now over FR cars. Used to be the other way around.
Maybe i have to practice but i have to slow down sooo much with FR cars to avoid understeer on corner entry and i feel they are harder on corner exit also
Interesting. The new tire model made me favor FR cars even more over MR's. The only exception to that is the Gr.4 Porsche Cayman.

Not a big fan of it. Anything faster than a GR4 now just feels horrible to drive on the DS4. I can't seem to drive them smoothly any more. I'm on tip-toes when cornering, and even long high speed bends the car seems to lurch and take the corner in 'stages' rather than one sweeping motion. Won't be doing any more racing this week with the current selection as I don't like the driving 'feel' of any of the cars we can use.

Absolutely. In particular, one of the cars I tested stock was a 2014 Corvette Stingray. From what I've heard, Chevrolet says the car should get to 60 in 3.8 seconds. At Blue Moon using Grid Start races with real settings and 1 opponent, I was on average an entire second slower than that on SH tires no matter how I launched. Even when I swapped to RSS tires, I still couldn't match it.

Earlier today I did the Brands Hatch circuit experiences, and the entire time I spent driving that R8 was just fighting the complete lack of rear end grip. It felt like I was driving a shopping cart being pushed backwards.

My fully upgraded Supra with a perfect Sarthe drag tune only managed a pathetically slow 3.766 seconds to 60. With my cornering setup it will spin it's rear wheels even at 120+ MPH on RSS tires. The grip just doesn't seem to be anywhere near as much as it should be in a straight line.
This is all very true now just straight line grip needs to be fixed and that is all she wrote :)

Not liking new changes myself. No grip causing either excessive under or over steer depend on rwd or fwd and tcs kicks in way to early when accelerating. Its not to bad when time trialling or qualification runs but no confidence in tyres when racing. Seems PD only want you to overtake if car in front goes of track. Out braking someone is frowned upon as you may make contact.

Just cannot, cannot, cannot gel with the new grip model. At all.

The Group 3 cars are now so hard for me to get on the gas but also the TC seems far more intrusive and even kicks in through fast corners. Set to 2 or 3 the TC is bogging me down severely through the S curves at maggorie, a real SOB as i lose over a second on the straight after the curves a smy exit speed is so slow.

The cars are also loose switching left to right, again through those curves the arse end is just everywhere and I shed speed.

As the poster above noted, the TC is just terrible, coming out of turn 4 at maggorie and onto the longish straight before the awkward fast right, the TC just bogs and bogs like it's 1994 on GT1.

It may well be good for the game as this grip model could once and for all send PCARS to PC only as GTS is now closer in terms of driving feel but with a controller I am dead set struggling.

I've noticed the TCS kicking in more during fast corners (particularly the sweeping left right after the hairpin at Maggiore) suggesting less lateral grip. TCS-1 is ok, but at TCS-2 it scrubs a fair bit of speed unless you're super smooth.

Have you found this will all cars or mostly RWD?

I laugh in the face of the people who are crying that grip is lower on race cars. Was the previous level of grip the pinnacle of realism?

Do we really want the pinnacle of realism? PCARS2 is approaching that and whilst a wonderful game in principle, it needs serious dedication to master.

The appeal of GT, and especially the brilliant idea of SPORT mode, is it is more about racing than driving, which i really enjoy.

Not a big fan of it. Anything faster than a GR4 now just feels horrible to drive on the DS4. I can't seem to drive them smoothly any more. I'm on tip-toes when cornering, and even long high speed bends the car seems to lurch and take the corner in 'stages' rather than one sweeping motion. Won't be doing any more racing this week with the current selection as I don't like the driving 'feel' of any of the cars we can use.
I couldn't agree less with that statement. I've driven the old R18, the LM55 and the even the Tomahawk X. They all feel great to me.

I'll give that a try and see how I go. Don't like switching driving aids back on though, I was quite happy where I was before this update with only TC and ABS.

Me too but I just cannot race without it, I was all over the place. Pretty chronic understeer now but i can drive around that to a degree.

Me too but I just cannot race without it, I was all over the place. Pretty chronic understeer now but i can drive around that to a degree.

Understeer would lead me to believe you are over driving the car on corner entry, which is then setting you up wrong for the exit when you jump on the power.

I use a wheel though and I'm ver progressive with all inputs.

Back