Potato...

• Thread starter VBR
  • 560 comments

How do you feel about the new tyre model?

• Much Better

Votes: 119 27.5%
  • Better

Votes: 185 42.8%
  • Dunno

Votes: 60 13.9%
  • Worse

Votes: 31 7.2%
  • Much Worse

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 14 3.2%
  • Neither Better Nor Worse

Votes: 6 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I tried the Ferrari Gr3, a car I've used quite a lot, it felt weird over bumps like the suspension bottoming out, I assume this is tyre flex, going to take a bit of getting used to!
I set the S660 suspension to 85 F/R. At St Croix, there is a bump in one of the high speed sections where the track gradually veers right. I distinctly get that scrape of thed tyre hitting the inner guard on the left. Very cool.

I felt a lot more understeer in tt. Tried it on suzuka and about 2 seconds slower than normal.

Changed to group 2 lexus and less than a second off my best.

So def slower however i managed to catch a couple of oversteer moments at the chicane where before it was instant death.

Holly **** the new tire phyiscs are a game changer. Before the update you coulnd't full throttle the La Ferrari or the 458 in second gear without wheelspining. Now you feel when its gonna spin and you can full throttle it even in the first gear. Even the counter steering is much better and more precies. I can actualy drift cars properly now without spining out, and feel when it gonna lose it. Really impressed by the update, im gonna play it alot more now :cheers:.

Last edited:
Holly **** the new tire phyiscs are a game changer. Before the update you coulnd't full throttle the La Ferrari or the 458 in second gear without wheelspining. Now you feel when its gonna spin and you can full throttle it even in the first gear. Even the counter steering is much better and more precies. I can actualy drift cars properly now without wheelspining, and feel when it gonna lose it. Really impressed by the update, im gonna play it alot more now :cheers:.

That's great news because I could not stand the constant spinning in high powered FR cars :)

One thing I found that's worse is braking. Before, the wheels would lock very slightly even with ABS on default, making threshold braking a thing. Now, you can & indeed have to push the brake pedal all the way down & yet you get zero lock up (feels like magic brakes). It's a problem for me because I have a NIXIM V2 brake mod on my G25 pedals, & pushing it all the way down to the max is difficult. In GT6 we could change the sensitivity of the brakes as well as the bias, but in GT Sport we can only change the bias & not the sensitivity. I'm going to have to try ABS on the Weak setting to see if it improves things at all...

VBR
One thing I found that's worse is braking. Before, the wheels would lock very slightly even with ABS on default, making threshold braking a thing. Now, you can & indeed have to push the brake pedal all the way down & yet you get zero lock up (feels like magic brakes). It's a problem for me because I have a NIXIM V2 brake mod on my G25 pedals, & pushing it all the way down to the max is difficult. In GT6 we could change the sensitivity of the brakes as well as the bias, but in GT Sport we can only change the bias & not the sensitivity. I'm going to have to try ABS on the Weak setting to see if it improves things at all...
Well yeah, I guess ABS weak now has some sense at least :D you try that

There is one thing that don't have anything to see with tyre model but it mess a lot with your accel or decell inputs when upshifting and downshifting. It can be interpreted as a tire behavior but it's only the auto clutch messing with the torque.
This torque is modulated by this auto clutch when accelerate out a slow and medium speed corners on powerfull cars , turning all your throttle input imprecise with this auto clutch acting without your control. On and off , an and off....
In GT5 & 6 this clutch was engaged or not , setting a drag gearbox was made on to the exact point where torque and wheel spin was spot on to have a perfect launch. Throttle inputs were much more precise at this time.
That's impossible to do in GTS and this is in my opinion partially what turn so difficult to master powerfull cars in this game.

I did a couple laps with the Ferrari Gr.3 on Brands (RH tires) -- it's a combo I drive often -- and got some of the worst times I've put down in a long time.
What was your lap time before and after? Was it close to GT3's real life lap time ~1:24.000, i believe you could clock few seconds faster times in GTS? Slower lap times there at Brands Hatch would be more realistic... But, of course the driving feel is more important (in GT6 you could match Pagani Zonda R's Nordschleife record on Comfort tyres haha!) <- Oh boy how off the lap times were in GT5/6 compared to real life.

Just testet sport hard tyres.

I beat easyly my time with Diablo in DT Gardens. But I'm not sure how much effort I have given back then. Can anyone confirm if overall grip is better with sport tyres? And if catching the car back to control is really much easier?

Or am I at placebo?

I took the circuit challenge at Nurburg, did a :54 but it felt as if i was going much faster, did not make any big mistakes or anything and expected to be in the 40s. I play with a DS and i personally felt that i had a better feeling with the grip level. Need more time to explore, but i have nothing negative to add.

Just testet sport hard tyres.

I beat easyly my time with Diablo in DT Gardens. But I'm not sure how much effort I have given back then. Can anyone confirm if overall grip is better with sport tyres? And if catching the car back to control is really much easier?

Or am I at placebo?
Yes, it is much easier now to hold the car after loosing control. Also there is much more grip with the sport tires now as it should be.

Did another test in DT Gardens.

Beat my N600 (?) Huracan time by 1 sec. SH tyres, and there were more tenth to gain but I stopped after I was sure it was definitely faster as before the change.

What I observe is, you can actually really countersteer and drift- ish a little.

But enough for today.

As far as I read our common impressions and the vote results say that with the change better control came up.

Maybe the general performances of player base will probably come more close to each other in the future

So, my feedback after driving various cars for a bit :

- Grip loss feels more progressive. You don't snap oversteer under throttle as much as before, you feel the rear slowly kicking out.
- You have to lift less to recover from a power oversteer.
- Traction loss seem to happen a tad sooner, and the traction curve seems smoother out of corners.
- Infinite traction loss is not a thing anymore. I can actually floor a Mach 40 in 2nd gear in a straight line now.
- Front end feels more grippy under braking, and wheels don't seem to lock up as much as before at brake release. This results in better turn-in, especially at low speed.
- Off tracks are significantly more punishing than before. You'll want to be more careful about track limits, disregarding penalties.
- Racing tyres are slower right now, about 1 to 1.5 second on a sub 2 minute Gr.3 lap. Times might fall down when we get used to it, but I think they will still remain slower.
- Racing Mediums don't like being cold. Drove hards, went into pits to take mediums, tried to push out of the pits, spun at turn 2.
- Top speed seems to be affected somehow, my Mazda Gr.3 felt like it didn't want to rev as much in 5th gear. This may be caused by an increase in tyre friction, or there's something undocumented about the aero simulation, I can't tell. I felt like dirty air effected me more in a Gr.3 race on Sainte Croix, hence why I'm considering aero as well, but I was pretty tired. This needs to be tested more.

Overall, I think this tyre model feels good. The Nordschleife gets more frightening though, I'm driving it more like I do in Assetto Corsa now.

Had a longer session tonight with various cars. I didn't do any specific test as such was just driving.

I had a lot of fun and so far am happy with what I am seeing. When you do lose grip on sports tyres it is much more controllable, grip doesn't fall off as quickly and you can really coax the car back in line, driving a supra at Yamigawa and the long 4th gear corners were very entertaining but not terrifying. Once it did step out it was more controllable as well.

On braking the car feels much less secure, did feel some movement but it was more realistic really when not braking in a perfect straight line.

Even the racing hard tyres felt that there was just not the same solidity to them under braking and while peak grip mid corner when sliding a little may be down, finding the grip and bring it back seemed much easier.

Its amazing how much some people are talking about microtransactions in the game which don't affect the economy when this is quite a big gameplay change!

Just had a good go at Brands FIA... first of all I've had a heart attack for an hour as I couldn't see rank 1 time then @mthomas_95 saved me by telling me it was pre-patch... thank the lord thought I'd lost all my speed with the patch haha! Although I knew something was up as they could run much wider at Graham hill bend!

Anyway from my thoughts it's had some minor tweaks since the Germany event... Cars don't seem as loose as they were in Germany on exit (They were crazy loose there). When you're on the limit, you really are now the car can sometimes really lose the rear quite quickly. Aggressive driving I think is going to get punished a lot more with this tyre model. Was in the group 3 renault which can be unstable at times anyway but I can definitely feel a slight difference. Definitely going to be interesting going forward I think. I think I'll try my FWD car tomorrow and see how that feels.

Now I could finally test it!

Firstival: one question to the experienced bop testers, maybe @Tidgney, is the performance between time trial and qualification (sport mode daylies) the same?

I managed yesterday in mount panorama with Mustang Gr.3 a 2.03.220, a 2.02.9xx was interrupted 20 meters before the line because the race lobby was about to start. I could always repeat a middle 2.03.

But today in time trial I could make "only" a 2.04.116. I could go below 2.04. with more effort, but I don't think I can beat yesterdays time.

Somebody used the word longitunal grip, I can confirm this is the same as before, means the braking points are the same. The "cross"- grip is less meaning the apex/corner speeds are lower. BUT you have less sudden force effects like oversteer in acceleration or snap oversteer during braking.

Good detecting points for oversteer and snap oversteer are the chicane- combinations on the mountain.

Because of -from my point of view- increased stability, I'm very fine with the new model

I'm a wheel user, btw

You will go slower today vs yesterday, I think a general rule would be 6 tenths - 1 second for a normal sized track (Group 3 at least). There should be no major difference between times on TT mode vs Daily mode as longs you setup BoP and time the same. Personally I have found maybe a tiny bit more grip or stability at least in time trial mode vs practice mode in FIA, but then when matchmaking I find I have the same again. It's only tiny so has very little impact but it's definitely there.

I'm sorry but no. You need a 5 second video of 458's stansdstill acceleration if you know how the car accelerates in real life. Street semislick tires are now very well made and offer superb traction.
"real life" vs Gran Turismo :lol: calm down turn on Your PS4 and do some Real life Practice

I guess it might be my driving style, but I don't notice any less grip at the rear. I do note more understeer, which seems to be the opposite of most others' experience.

I do welcome the gradual loss of grip, however. I hated the on/off switch from before, and how the smallest loss of rear grip would turn the tires into concrete for about five seconds.

I just did the C race with the car I have the most experience, NSX Gr.3, and I was never in fear of spinning. My tires wore evenly front and back, and any little slide that did occur was instantly handled. No fuss at all. I'm very happy.

Did a few more laps on Nurburg. I like it, i am slower, but feel I have more control.

Did a few laps in the new GT40, 380+ top speed, what? Not so much downforce as the BMW but very drivable and i did some saves i don't think would be possible with the old model.

Back