The Vision GT Thread - Car No.18-20 SRT Tomahawk S GTS-R X Vision GT - STILL 26/06/15

• Thread starter Monatsende
  • 1,905 comments

Do we need this thread to be sticky?

• Yes! It`s the reference thread for the ongoing VGT releases.

Votes: 272 66.0%
  • No! Just no!

Votes: 42 10.2%
  • I don`t care!

Votes: 98 23.8%

• Total voters
Exactly, you've said it perfectly. It seems that most manufacturers are only interested in those areas of concept cars, so it's unlikely. And while I also agree with the "variety" bit, perhaps we could've done with VGTs becoming the main vessel of new cars for GT6. The problem is that while they bring their own flair into the game, many have become so fed up with that notion that it became irritating. VGTs can't act in that role, mainly because most don't really work in terms of useability when it comes to possible races. And with very few (and new) "real-life" cars being added to the game, people will only get more and more fed up. It's not the right way for these cars to be used; it'd be best to either add some events where we can use only Vision GT cars, or tone down the PP rating so that these cars can work in the normal Career races.

Let's hope so, otherwise it'll become glaring that they simply weren't interested in adding new cars to GT6 rather than holding on to them for GT7 to maximize their marketing potential.

After reading the interview on the news section, this pretty much sums up as to why the Vision GT included in the game come off as "incomplete"...

Kaz
This time around when we’ve been doing the current VGT cars, the schedule has been very tight between the design and the actual release of the cars, so often there wasn’t enough time to model them.

Understandable, since the original plan was to have all the VGT cars released within a year, but Kaz said later on in the interview that "Good design takes a lot of time". These VGT cars aren't just simply cars, they're an art form, and their radical designs reinforce that.

Kaz
On other occasions the manufacturer hasn’t really provided us with an interior. But we intend to implement interiors for all of the VGT cars.

Well, we really can't do anything about that. If a manufacturer does refuse to provide an interior layout of their concept car, you can't force Kaz and the PD team to come up with an interior for their interior-less (if that's ever a word) concept cars, otherwise them and the manufacturers will just be bulls:censored:ing at each other. Keep in mind that PD don't design these cars, they just render them into the game.

So, please whiners... stop b:censored:ing about these interior-less cars. The people involved in the VGT Project care more towards the exterior shape of the car, because that's where a designer usually start when designing a car, anyway. Some of you just take it for granted anyway and drive these cars at most once.

496431.jpg

After reading the interview on the news section, this pretty much sums up as to why the Vision GT included in the game come off as "incomplete"...

Understandable, since the original plan was to have all the VGT cars released within a year, but Kaz said later on in the interview that "Good design takes a lot of time". These VGT cars aren't just simply cars, they're an art form, and their radical designs reinforce that.

Well, we really can't do anything about that. If a manufacturer does refuse to provide an interior layout of their concept car, you can't force Kaz and the PD team to come up with an interior for their interior-less (if that's ever a word) concept cars, otherwise them and the manufacturers will just be bulls:censored:ing at each other. Keep in mind that PD don't design these cars, they just render them into the game.

So, please whiners... stop b:censored:ing about these interior-less cars. The people involved in the VGT Project care more towards the exterior shape of the car, because that's where a designer usually start when designing a car, anyway. Some of you just take it for granted anyway and drive these cars at most once.

496431.jpg
This^well put

The Aston Martin VGT trailer specifically mentioned how interior materials were chosen, and for the VW Supersport VGT the cockpit is pretty much provided by the Roadster. Same with the FT-1 VGT. Yet none have one. So it's a choice by PD as well.

If these Vision GTs are driven at least once by pretty much all active players, that's already more usage than half the fully detailed Premiums in the game get. Maybe people would show more interest in driving these cars if their interiors were as unique and interesting as the bodies. Sure, concepts are usually about exterior design, but real concepts often can't drive. Should we use that reason to remove the engine from all Vision GTs since some brands haven't provided a real powertrain?

The Aston Martin VGT trailer specifically mentioned how interior materials were chosen, and for the VW Supersport VGT the cockpit is pretty much provided by the Roadster. Same with the FT-1 VGT. Yet none have one. So it's a choice by PD as well.

How can you be sure that the VW Supersport VGT uses the same interior trim as the Roadster? Or that the FT-1 VGT has the same interior as the FT-1 road car? You're not the one who designed those cars. Because if that's the case, if it really is a choice by PD, then they should have slapped the RX-7 Spirit R's interior into the Bathurst R or Type RS or any other facelift RX-7 FD in the game. They should have done that, if it's just so simple. But it's not. You have to remember that these are licensed cars being featured in the game. Car makers allow developers to use their cars in their games, provided they have rendered it as accurately as possible, according to the specifications the car makers have provided them. Because if they don't follow what the car makers want, they could get sued for it.

And for the Aston, maybe PD is saving up its interior trim for GT7. Who knows? Like I said earlier, it is not PD's job what kind of design or details goes into these cars. Their only job is to render said concept cars into however the designers want it to look like and appear in the game.

One more thing; if it really WAS a choice for PD for them to include interior details in these VGT cars, most likely they opted NOT to include them in GT6 because their staff is also busy working on GT7. PD doesn't have a huge staff (less than 200, AFAIK), and so compromises have to be made. They have to split their staff; some of them are still working on GT6 while the others are focused in GT7. I can only speculate that they are saving the interior details of these concept cars for GT7. HOPEFULLY this is true.

If these Vision GTs are driven at least once by pretty much all active players, that's already more usage than half the fully detailed Premiums in the game get.

Do you even have any idea how many Premium cars there are in the game? More than 400. The number of different JDM cars, American and European sports cars, not to mention race cars (GT3, SGT, LM) that I usually see being used by your typical active GT6 players already surpasses the current number of VGT cars available many times over. The only real time a VGT ever gets attention is when it's released; give it some 1-2 weeks and you'll see only a few people sticking to them. The rest are back to their own customized Premium cars drifting/racing/cruising/whatever. The only VGTs that last for quite some time are those that go Bugatti Veyron-fast, those few that can reach 200mph very easily like the Mazda LM55 and the Chaparral 2X. And you can expect the SRT Tomahawk to have the same treatment, because even though it doesn't have the handling to match its immense speed, it still goes crazy fast in a straight line.

Maybe people would show more interest in driving these cars if their interiors were as unique and interesting as the bodies.

Maybe. But remember what Kaz said earlier, he's not the one (or he's not the only person) who decides which car gets interior trims or whatnot. If the car maker has provided interior detail for their VGT, then cool! If not, then they just have to make do with whatever they have been given. And that's the thing with licensed cars in video games: whatever software you're using to render these vehicles, the car makers still have the final say on how they would appear in-game because they are the ones who own said cars, not the developers.

Sure, concepts are usually about exterior design, but real concepts often can't drive. Should we use that reason to remove the engine from all Vision GTs since some brands haven't provided a real powertrain?

That's just ridiculous to think of (dare I say stupid). If these designs weren't made to drive, then these should not have been provided to Kaz & PD. The biggest reason as to why these concept cars were provided engines/powerplants is because what is Kaz & PD are making is a racing game, not an interactive car show. And so car makers have to come up with powertrains in order to allow them to move at least one centimeter on flat ground without the use of external force, in order for players of the game to actually use them. And again, it's just a concept; one reason could be that the designers aren't actually sure what kind of powerplant the car would have, or how said powerplant would actually work in real life (in the case of the Chaparral 2X).

Dude, seriously...

Last edited:
Has the Chaparral 2X always had a strong wind noise during braking? I've not driven it much but did drive it a bit today and noticed it triggers the airbrake wind noise during high speed braking, but I can't see any airbrakes deploy. I know there are two flaps/ailerons on the rear of the car but they don't lift while braking.

Has the Chaparral 2X always had a strong wind noise during braking? I've not driven it much but did drive it a bit today and noticed it triggers the airbrake wind noise during high speed braking, but I can't see any airbrakes deploy. I know there are two flaps/ailerons on the rear of the car but they don't lift while braking.
Two air brakes are in the middle of the body. One element under the engine comes up too.

I believe it had more once the update that adjusted flaps was added (I believe it was for Alpine VGTs)

Seems that VGT cars are getting more attention from scale model manufacturers:

View attachment 400650

Modeler's, a popular resin scale model brand responsible for producing JDMs especially from manga, will release the Mazda LM55 in 1/43 scale.

Just don't forget to credit little ol'me for finding the picture. ;)

But yes, it is official; the LM55 will become the third VGT car to have a scale model. Ironically enough, the countries of the companies who make the scale models match the countries of the cars (Tomica and Modeler's for Japan with the Nissan and the Mazda, and Norev for France with the Alpine). Surprisingly fitting, no? And so far, all three cars represent some of the finest VGT designs; the edgy Nissan, the Mach-5-esque Alpine and now the elegant Furai-hommage Mazda.
Also, come on, America, where's my Chaparral 2X? I don't care if it has to be a Hot Wheels, just make one already, god dang it!

Last edited:
OMG a scale model of a VGT car... YES PLEASE!! I NEEEEEEEEEEEDDD IIIIIIIIITTT!!!!!

Just don't forget to credit little ol'me for finding the picture. ;)

But yes, it is official; the LM55 will become the third VGT car to have a scale model. Ironically enough, the countries of the companies who make the scale models match the countries of the cars (Tomica and Modeler's for Japan with the Nissan and the Mazda, and Norev for France with the Alpine). Surprisingly fitting, no? And so far, all three cars represent some of the finest VGT designs; the edgy Nissan, the Mach-5-esque Alpine and now the elegant Furai-hommage Mazda.
Also, come on, America, where's my Chaparral 2X? I don't care if it has to be a Hot Wheels, just make one already, god dang it!

I dunno, the Nissan doesn't really strike me as much as the Alpine and Mazda. The Nissan looks unrefined to me, like it was the first ever sketch of the design. The two others, though, are arguably the most drop-dead gorgeous designs in the roster. The discreet simplicity of the Alpine and the super smooth lines of the Mazda can really make you glance at those cars AT LEAST a second time.

And also, if the 2X ever makes it way in the hands of Hotwheels, it better get special treatment, because the regular Hotwheels models these days are made in China, and of very poor quality. I remember around 10 years ago that Hotwheels were still being made in Malaysia, and their quality back then was pretty good.

And also, if the 2X ever makes it way in the hands of Hotwheels, it better get special treatment, because the regular Hotwheels models these days are made in China, and of very poor quality. I remember around 10 years ago that Hotwheels were still being made in Malaysia, and their quality back then was pretty good.
It won't, it'll be made in the same factories as their other 1:18 models. Profits and all that.

All the Hot Wheels cars I've gotten recently (Both regular as well as special and sets) have been made in Malaysia (well, most of them as six of them are made in Thailand). All the ones I've seen In stores are made in Malaysia as well so I'm not sure your claim is all that accurate.

Last edited:
It won't, it'll be made in the same factories as their other 1:18 models. Profits and all that.

Let's hope so.

All the Hot Wheels cars I've gotten recently (Both regular as well as special and sets) have been made in Malaysia (well, most of them as six of them are made in Thailand). All the ones I've seen In stores are made in Malaysia as well so I'm not sure your claim is all that accurate.

I'm not sure about the US market, but over here in the Philippines, all of the regulard die-cast Hotwheels sold here are all made in China. I'm not exactly sure about when the transition from Malaysian to Chinese production took place, but one thing I did notice is the drop in quality. I still have my awesome-looking Shelby Cobra Concept which I bought when I was still in high school, and I can say for sure that it definitely looks a lot better than the Hotwheels of today.

About the Malaysia/China case, it may be just a Phillipines thing, as most HWs here in Europe are made in Malaysia. Two of the latest HW cars that I bought were made there, so I can confirm this. The same could happen with U.S. market HWs, but that one I can't confirm for sure.

As for the rest, I mentioned Hot Wheels more or less in a jesting tone, since it's unlikely they'll touch the cars in a 1/64 format. If anything, if they made one, it'd be a 1/18, for extra detail and profits.

This may not sound like it's VGT related, but it may have serious implications for yet another Italian VGT; Italdesign Giugiaro has been entirely bought away from its legendary founder, Giorgetto Giugiaro, by an automotive group. Which group?

None other than the VW group. Giorgetto himself has retired from his position in the company (as well as his son Fabrizio), meaning now that Volkswagen itself owns most of Italdesign's share, with a small share being owned by Audi. What implications does this have for the VGT project? Simple; Italdesign has a VGT project and so does Audi. I might be looking far too deep into this or not, but could this mean that since Audi owns a part of Italdesign, could they unify Italdesign's project with Audi's (if you haven't remembered, Audi is one of the two remaining VAG Group brands in the VGT project, alongside Lamborghini)? Anyways, VW will now have another design they could inspire themselves of, and now the Italdesign VGT's fate has become as shaky as Bertone's...

More here: http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-ne...aro-quits-his-own-company-as-audi-takes-over/

It is ironic that the two companies known most for making designs have the designs that are now least likely to appear.

There is a key difference between Bertone and Italdesign though; the fact that Bertone's license is owned by a company which apparently is causing PD a lot of trouble just to get the car for the VGT project. On the other hand, the VW group is definitely eager to get VGT cars out, since so far we have four VAG group cars involved in the project (two Volkswagens, one Audi and one Lamborghini, unless the count rises). So if anything, VW must be more eager to let Italdesign release their car...

imple; Italdesign has a VGT project and so does Audi. I might be looking far too deep into this or not, but could this mean that since Audi owns a part of Italdesign, could they unify Italdesign's project with Audi's
No. Not unless you want a frankencar.

I don't mean a frankencar, silly. I mean Audi grabbing Italdesign's own design and then giving it an Audi badge. You know, like most VAG cars are these days...
Even still. No.

Why would they waste their own time on Audi's own VGT only to scrap that for a product which had no relation to their current design language?

Even still. No.

Why would they waste their own time on Audi's own VGT only to scrap that for a product which had no relation to their current design language?

Well, you do have a point, I am not going to lie. As I said, I might be looking far too much into this, so don't take that theory of mine for granted.

Back