The World I See: France, Animals, Cars & Snapshots (Le Mans 2015 Update)

• Thread starter Mr. S
  • 103 comments
Glad to see you enjoying that camera Mr. S! ;)

Super shots in here of the animals. How about some more of France, too? I used to look forward to your armchair travelogue. 👍

Do you find the D600 ergonomic? As in - is it easy to carry around, grip, manipulate, etc?

Super shots in here of the animals. How about some more of France, too? I used to look forward to your armchair travelogue. 👍

I really want to take more shots but recently I've only had ideas requiring me to venture into Paris in the evening hours (plus some crazy astro ideas but I need to find a good spot - good thing is, a friend wants to go with me so I won't be alone) and I really dislike being there all alone. I actually wanted to go and have a go at some memorials as well but most prohibit taking pictures, so it's all a bit odd at the moment. I prolly have to go for a walk again sooner or later and drag a friend with me if I opt to head out at 7pm or whenever.

Do you find the D600 ergonomic? As in - is it easy to carry around, grip, manipulate, etc?

Actually, I think it's quite good. The only downside is that with the ISO buttons etc. being on the left side it can be tricky to change settings.

Imagine you're having a heavy 70-200mm 2.8 on the camera. I basically have to hold onto the lens, as usual, and press the ISO button with my thumb and that means I have to turn the dial with my pinky finger. Yet, that only applies if you're using heavy lenses (although it might be possible hold the camera itself with my other hand, I just don't want to do that with heavy lenses).

Overall it feels extremely great and it's just the right size as well. I find it well balanced, especially with a grip attached. Carrying it around all day (and I recently did for a company event) isn't much of a problem. :)

^ Tom, why not use auto ISO? I use it all the time and don't even think about it at all. I only turn it off when using Manual mode.

Also, are you familiar why "Easy ISO" (or something like that)? You should check that out.

^ Tom, why not use auto ISO? I use it all the time and don't even think about it at all. I only turn it off when using Manual mode.

Also, are you familiar why "Easy ISO" (or something like that)? You should check that out.

I didn't know the D600 can do that easy ISO thing, I gotta check (care to explain how to enable that? so that it's changing my ISO with the dial on the back in aperture priority) how to configure that. Then again, I'm mostly trying to stay at 200 anyway. :)

I dislike using auto ISO because it's something out of my control. I know that if I limit it to, say, 800 it won't make any visible changes but it's still a bad feeling not to be in control of that. :dunce:

To be honest, I don't know how to set Easy ISO, sorry. Should be deep in some menu. But I'm sure a quick google search will help you.

About control, ISO is something that has little play in photography. What I mean is, of course you want to control the aperture (for DOF) and of course you want to control speed. But ISO...? Why bother? ;)

Don't get me wrong: it's good and fun to shoot in manual mode. But you're still following the camera's light metering. In my opinion, "control" has more to do with compensating/adjusting the camera's metering (+/-EV).

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't know how to set Easy ISO, sorry. Should be deep in some menu. But I'm sure a quick google search will help you.

Most hits were for the D800 but it wasn't hard to find in the menus (Custom -> *d3) - how could I miss that!? This makes the camera even better. :D

About control, ISO is something that has little play in photography. What I mean is, of course you want to control the aperture (for DOF) and of course you want to control speed. But ISO...? Why bother? ;)

I know ISO does little in terms of the outcome but it can do a lot in terms of quality, i.e. less noise etc. and that's why I'm always trying to get it as low as possible. I just don't like higher ISO and I deem 640 to be high. :D

Don't get me wrong: it's good and fun to shoot in manual mode. But you're still following the camera's light metering. In my opinion, "control" has more to do with compensating/adjusting the camera's metering (+/-EV).

True, although I have to admit that I'm seldom adjusting EV. I prefer to get that done in postprocessing (except if it'd blow highlights etc.) instead. :)

Lovely long exposures. I really like the Pyramide du Louvre and the first one of the Place de la Concorde. 👍

Wow, nice long exposures. 👍 👍 I was in Paris over the weekend for a weekend trip. :) And I was at all these places too... Only took long exposures of the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe and Moulin Rouge though. Just a pity they were doing work on the Arc.

Wow, nice long exposures. 👍 👍 I was in Paris over the weekend for a weekend trip. :) And I was at all these places too... Only took long exposures of the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe and Moulin Rouge though. Just a pity they were doing work on the Arc.
sTE569S.jpg

I need to go back to the Eiffel Tower and the carrousel on the other side of the bridge tho, maybe next weekend. :)

:lol: Oops! Next time i'll give a hollar. 👍

Had a great time though... I love the food! The missus and I feasted on French cuisine the whole weekend. We were staying in the Monmartre area and usually eating in one of the many bistros situated by the Abbesses metro. Definitely heading back in the near future when the weather is a bit better.

Also that shot of the Louvre is stunning with the reflection on the wet ground.

Went to the Basque Country with Mrs. S, to see her family etc., and we had a blast. Lots of food (due to Pesach / Easter) too. :)

Oi, I hadn't seen the Paris at night set. Very cool, very yellow. 2nd and 3d pics off the set take the cake, the 3d one specially, very good composition.

We went to a wedding and returned yesterday. Most stuff is private but I guess I can share a few shots I like! My girlfriend was one of the witnesses, so she was pretty busy all day long.

I was merely attending the wedding and they had a photographer who did, as far as I can tell, a tremendous job! Can't wait to see his photos.

I'll add more later on, the theme was Tahiti and it was awesome - since they don't have any people in them I assume that's not private at all. Anyway, here we go.

Last edited:
The panning shots look great, but my favourites are the ones at the Esses. 👍

How did the little D600 perform, AF-wise?

And why no night shots? :P

The panning shots look great, but my favourites are the ones at the Esses. 👍

Definitely my favourites too!

How did the little D600 perform, AF-wise?

Very good, I think it was less than 5 times that it locked onto the fence instead of the cars!

And why no night shots? :P

Arrived at 9am on Sunday, left at 5:30pm on Sunday. Only takes 1h45 from my doorstep to the track. TGV ftw. ;)

Back