This game ruined GT Sport for me

I’ve never played Project Cars 2. Where does it sit in terms of GT Sport and ACC?

Like I said above, the ACC driving experience is just extraordinary. I can’t believe how much more visceral, engaging and exciting it is to simply drive. I’ve put about 20 hours into ACC so far and I haven’t done anything other than drive around the Nurburgring and Monza yet just getting a feel for the cars and trying to nail laps.

Is Project Cars 2 similar to ACC then in terms of being more of a sim than GT?

I'd rank the games as follows.

1. ACC-More of a SIM and closest to PC IMO because they focus on the experience and not the multitude of cars and tracks. If you're racing online, you're racing in GT3 or GT4...that's it.
2. PCars2-MOre of a SIM but not quite at the ACC level...plenty of cars and plenty of tracks and different classes, which limit the rooms
3. Gran Turismo-Too aracde like for me, but has the community and FIA races.

Yeah I get what you mean. Gt is more casual fun. And I really do like it. Just drive and have fun. In Assetto Corsa Competizione I really have to concentrate and focus. And it’s the best I’ve experienced on that front.
But now that I think of it:
GT is about the love of cars and just enjoying it. Sit back and enjoy.

Assetto Corsa is about the love of racing perfectly and working for that perfect balance between man and machine and the track. Put your head down and challenge yourself.

ACC is the game I've always wanted, I love it. I stick to GT3/4 cars in all of these as that's what I'm most interested in following racing in real life.

GT Sport I still throw in to gawk at the lighting on various tracks in certain times of day, but in terms of feel, I quickly want to get back to ACC.

ACC really nailed the helmet cam in all of these games too, not too overdone like the max settings in PCars/PCars2, just perfect IMO.

Ya lately I have felt the same. My ps4 broke last fall and I only got a new one last month and thought I'd try to get some trophies on ACC. I got the game the day it came out on console and played it fairly hard at the beginning but bugs and not very good wheel feel for g29 made me stop. The updates and fixes have made g29 feel a lot better and like you, I m having hard time going back to GTS now. Even with the frame issues of the ps4 version, I still get sucked in. Obviously the sounds are sooo much better on ACC compared to GTS and this includes everything from in car engine noise to replay engine noise, the satisfying sounds of going on the curbs, the starting up of the grid etc. My only issues now are that my game crashes quite frequently at times. For example everytime I went to continue my championship, I would get to start up my engine but then error would occur. I m playing on digital version as well. As of the last 2 days I have had no issues, maybe the update helped. I really want to get the new dlc as I obviously want new tracks but I need the gt4 dlc too. The only thing I prefer about GTS these days is just the online functionality and lobby system. It is easy to hop on GTS and find a lobby with players and just jump into a race where as for me I have to search for the right lobby with a decent amount of players on ACC. ACC really is a great playing and feeling game though and I'm grateful that there is even a console port for those of us who have no PC and have the itch, even if it leaves some things to be desired compared to the PC version.

GT Sport has the community, weekly races, and FIA Nations and Manufacturer's Cup races...
I played a lot of leagues with my GT sport community, there's about 60 of us. So every race is pretty much clean.I'm A/S rank, I tried a lot of daily races and manufacture's cup. Im done with it, honestly almost every race there's someone who will push you or who will divebomb you. You have to focus more in mirror and radar than on road. So yeah daily races/manufactures sounds nice but in reality its a wreckfest most of the time even highest ranks. I think S safety rank is too easy to get.

Like i said i play a leagues in my gt community, but in the end cars just feel the same, after i started to play AC/ACC the difference in immersion is just so big. A just dont have any thrill to drive GT sport. In AC i feel tyres losing grip, you just feel SO much and that's even with crappy G29. When i take car on Nordschelife in AC it just feels so immersive so much fun. In GT sport its just blend, non thrilling non immersive,its like tyres are glued to the road.I think GT7 should really change tyre model,more similiar to PC2

Also i play on PS5 and i must say last update in ACC g29 feels even better than before.

Im so happy that PS5 has really good specs and we can enjoy true simracing on console beacuse i really dont wanna spend 1000+eur on PC only to play simracers(i have no interest to play other games on PC).

Also i forgot to say, i still haven't seen any dirty driver in ACC on console.Yes mistakes do happen but i still havent seen anyone who will push you off the road or divebomb everywhere. Its really incredible, i think people who play are mostly on wheels and actually wanna race clean compared to gt sport.

AC /ACC actually makes me wanna buy better wheel, because if it feels that good with g29 i cant even think how it will feel with csl elite/CSL direct drive.

Last edited:
Just point of view. The two racing games are completely different in the multiplayer mode. I think the organization on GT sport multiplayer is much funny and competitive than ACC, Nation cup and Manufactures championships has a large number of subscribers and lasts for a whole year.

I revisited GTS last night.
Loaded the Nordschleife to have a drive with the AMG Mercedes and I was hit hard... not by traffic or guardrails but from the gameplay itself.
Boy oh boy... when I first commented here I had a different feeling. Now, a few more weeks into sim racing (ACC), GTS now feels so freaking arcady! Really, I was driving like a madman, more rally style than GT3, and the game did not punish me for doing so. Cutting curbs, sliding, full throttle, full brakes, oversteer and understeer... I was all over the place and I am not enjoying this anymore (as I did before).

ACC really is what I like right now, getting to know more and more about Motorsport, about driving technics, about really driving a sports car!! I love it.

Sure, as GT is like a friend who’s with me for so long, I’ll buy GT7 for sure. But I think I’ve fallen for the real deal, aka SimRacing!
Just saying. You guys stay safe and have a good day!

Edit: never thought I’d say this, but what else can I do than being honest?! It’s just my personal preference atm! :) don’t wanna sound harsh.

Last edited:
It's exactly why the idea of having a spinoff Gran Turismo title centered around the new 'Sport mode' was such a bad decision. Why make a game about competitive sim-racing, when so many other games do it so much better? Gran Turismo should stick what its good at - which is immersing players in automotive/tuning/racing culture, surrounded by fun arcade racing. Sport mode doesn't sound that bad of an idea if its included alongside the experience of what a normal GT game would offer (like the singleplayer of GT4, or the open lobbies of GT5/GT6).

It's exactly why the idea of having a spinoff Gran Turismo title centered around the new 'Sport mode' was such a bad decision. Why make a game about competitive sim-racing, when so many other games do it so much better?

Hmmm. I could list many things that ACC and other titles do much better than GTS. But competitive online racing is not one of them. Other than iRacing and its expensive subscription model, which other games do it much better than GTS?

GTS makes online racing easy to access. It can't compete with ACC offline custom play, which majority of GT players do.

I have a PS4 and play GTS regularly. Been thinking about jumping into a more "sim-ish" title. Will a standard PS4 support ACC, or do I need to get at least a PS4 pro or just track down a PS5 altogether?

Is there cross play between the console version of ACC and the PC version?

I have a PS4 and play GTS regularly. Been thinking about jumping into a more "sim-ish" title. Will a standard PS4 support ACC, or do I need to get at least a PS4 pro or just track down a PS5 altogether?

Is there cross play between the console version of ACC and the PC version?
I don't believe there's PS4 crossplay with PC. Unless something has changed this month.

The game plays fine on my base PS4. Your biggest shock will be it doesn't look like Gran Turismo. Once you get past that, next, applying your settings for controller or wheel. It's a blank canvas.
After a small cry and getting community help, the frame rate during play and replays(plus, replays on console only last about two and a half laps) may turn you off. Again, on console, this ain't GT.

If you choose to accept this mission... *ahem*... If you're fine with the above, learning the tracks with all the various cars, becomes the most rewarding experience you'll have, in a console racing game. 👍

It feels really weird for me to write this...but COVID-19 has ruined GTS for me.

I've been a GT fan since the original. I've had PS, PS2, 2 PS3s, PS4, PS4 Pro. I've driven with a Dual Shock, Logitech Driving Force EX, G25, Thrustmaster T500RS with TH8RS shifter, and now a Thrustmaster T-GT with T-LCM pedals and a USB handbrake.

I even have a Gran Turismo windshield banner on my real life car.

When GTS came out, I got it on launch day. A couple of days later, I decided GTS was the perfect excuse to have a PSVR.

I was already very much into GTS, and was a frequent lurker on this very forum, scouring threads for tips on how to improve. More than any other driving game, Sport Mode in particular forced me to become a better driver to compete, and I really felt my level improving steadily as I climbed the ranks. I only made it to B/S rank. But Sport Mode was a game changer for me, and I appreciated how easy it was to jump in and out of races, despite the flaws, penalty system and general lack of racing etiquette. I still had a blast.

When the pandemic came around, I started working from home, and jumped into FIA races for the first time. The thrill of scheduled races, the opening sequence of every race, the organised ranking system...all combined to give me an experience to look forward to being stuck at home for the first few months of the pandemic.

I was hyped for the PS5 announcement, and salivated at the GT7 announcement trailer, especially the footage shown at Trial Mountain. It was gonna be an insta-buy for me, as soon as it was out.

Then I joined a sim racing WhatsApp chat group, among some friends. I was the only console peasant. They were all on AC and ACC. I tried to stay in the conversation, and posted highlights of my races from GTS. But no one cared.

In July 2020, I caved and built my own PC with a Ryzen 5 3600 and RTX 2070 Super. I got AC and ACC on a Steam sale with all DLC at a great price. I figured out how to use my PSVR with the PC. It was very serviceable, and introduced me to the thrill of racing with others in VR, something that was impossible with GTS.

ACC was amazing for all the new sensations that I felt through the wheel that were just absent in GTS. The sounds were immersive, and the "seriousness" of the environment was refreshing. Every race feels like an event, from free practice, to qualifying, to the actual race. The focus on GT3 and GT4 was a bit of a disappointment at first. But I didn't hesitate to get any and every DLC that came out. The quality of the simulation just made GTS feel like fast food to gourmet. They're both delicious, but one is just basic. And even the online racing is a lot more mature than GTS. Rightly so, there are servers that restrict you to having a minimum SA rating (the ACC safety rating), which has to be earned by following cars closely within 1 second without any touching and incidents. Some servers even require track competency minimum medals and ratings to join.

When I wanted more variety, I turned to AC with Content Manager. The sheer volume of free mods available is truly staggering. The community that comes up with this stuff is dedicated, and I've donated/paid the ones that I felt were especially deserving. What really blew me away were the open world track mods. There are some tracks that are truly breathtaking and sprawl over 50-100km of open roads that mimic real life locations. This is something I've always wished for on GT, just to be able to cruise endlessly in VR without the pressure of lap times. In AC, I can channel Matt Farah on LA Canyons. I can play out my street racing fantasies on Shutoko Revival Project. I can mimic Carfection videos on High Force and Transfagarasan. And if you're into drifting, there are tons of authentic mountain roads and drift car packs to be had, from 90s and 2000s Japanese RWD classics, to 2JZ swapped A91 Supras and BMW M2s with 800-1000hp. And the steering feedback is dripping with even more feel than ACC, to the point where ACC can feel a bit vague by comparison.

By Dec 2020, I was lucky enough to chance upon someone with a 2-week old RTX 3080 who wanted to upgrade to a 3090. I jumped at the chance to take the 3080 off his hands at MSRP. It was expensive...more than double what a PS5 at MSRP would've cost. And I had no idea that the GPU market was about to go to hell. I even upgraded to a 34" ultrawide monitor running at 144hz.

In January 2021, I upgraded to load cell brakes with Thrustmaster T-LCM. After adjusting my muscle memory, my lap times started improving, and most importantly, so did my consistency. The braking precision you get with a load cell (in 16 bit mode) opened up whole new possibilities in trail braking.

When March 2021 came around, I got a HP Reverb G2 VR HMD. It was the highest resolution headset available at the time, and it blew my mind how clear and sharp it was. No screen door effect, and I could make out every single bit of text in the cockpit, as well as all the braking markers outside the car. It took some tweaking, but I've now got settings that allow me to run at 90 FPS with no issues.

A week later, I upgraded my ghetto rig made of an Ikea Lak table and a car seat to a proper 4080 aluminum rig with a 27" 170hz monitor. (I don't know why Americans call it 8020, but whatever...). Again, my consistency improved, and I now had a rig stiff enough to learn how to drift.

I realise that PC as a platform is expensive, and I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford it. I probably blew the equivalent of about USD5-6,000 on PC parts and sim racing gear in less than a year. I'm just sharing how my sim racing experience has improved by leaps and bounds over the course of the last year, once I started exploring the sim racing world outside of Gran Turismo. I haven't turned on my PS4 Pro, or GTS in months. My PS+ subscription has lapsed, and I don't see a reason to renew it. I was totally hyped for PS5 and GT7, but now I barely care anymore. Having tasted over 250fps on flat screen monitors, and almost 4k resolution in VR running at 90 FPS while racing 20 other cars...I'm just not sure how I can go back.

And to think, I probably would've been happy being a console peasant, until being stuck at home for more than a year made me explore the whole PC Master Race thing.

I've had quite the journey with Gran Turismo over the last 24 years. I probably will get a PS5 when GT7 is out, just because. I think I'm probably the very definition of a hardcore GT fanboy. But things have changed. ACC and AC are my main jams now. And there's a whole other world out there on PC, if you can afford the money and time to make it work.

Last edited:

Then I joined a sim racing WhatsApp chat group, among some friends. I was the only console peasant. They were all on AC and ACC. I tried to stay in the conversation, and posted highlights of my races from GTS. But no one cared.

We all are! :lol:
23859971-e64c-4f23-b6kbj7g.gif

What a great read that was, on a lovely Saturday morning! Thank you, @senzr !

Last edited:
@senzr, how much did you spend on your PC setup you currently have. I’m not opposed to build one myself. The other titles and VR for online racing are appealing to me

@senzr, how much did you spend on your PC setup you currently have. I’m not opposed to build one myself. The other titles and VR for online racing are appealing to me

The PC build was about the equivalent of around USD3,000. But this was before the GPU market went to hell. The RTX 3080 I got was about USD1,000, but it's going at at least double that right now, if not more. The HP Reverb G2 VR headset was about USD800, I had to pay a premium in my country through a grey importer, but it should be less in countries with official HP distributors and support. Worth every penny, I hardly play on flat screens anymore, and don't even wish for triple screens at all. The most immersive sim racing experience available with a good wheel and solid rig.

With the craziness in the world and the global chip shortage, it's a really bad time to build a PC at sensible prices. But if money is no object, anything is possible.

Last edited:

This is my invoice list when i got mine built in February. Im in the US.

I added a few of case fans as well. Bought 4 total for the case. So probably another $80 total there.

Screenshot_20210515-112451_Samsung Notes.jpg

Last edited:
not bad. And that's for good frame rates and all the stuff the nerds talk about on the interwebz?

The PC build was about the equivalent of around USD3,000. But this was before the GPU market went to hell. The RTX 3080 I got was about USD1,000, but it's going at at least double that right now, if not more. The HP Reverb G2 VR headset was about USD800, I had to pay a premium in my country through a grey importer, but it should be less in countries with official HP distributors and support. Worth every penny, I hardly play on flat screens anymore, and don't even wish for triple screens at all. The most immersive sim racing experience available with a good wheel and solid rig.

With the craziness in the world and the global chip shortage, it's a really bad time to build a PC at sensible prices. But if money is no object, anything is possible.
Sounds like a really nice setup you got and just in time before the market went crazy.
I was thinking about VR for the future and always end with a thought about not being able to see my beautiful wheel in front of me (the real one)!
A triple screen PC setup still is #1 for me (recreating a real cockpit)

Last edited:
Even though I haven't played AC and ACC for a long time (pc versions), I'd still play, in my case, GT7 only because of nostalgia. I stopped playing Gran Turismo with GT5, when I think of GT7 I get these child-like feelings and want to play GT7 now.

Also, AC and ACC of course.

Back