This.

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
ZovomirVanBasten
For quite a while now I have been noticing the increased use of the word this as a single word sentence to signify agreement when quoting a post. This is really starting to annoy me. It is not that it is bad grammar or style but that it shows a lack of imagination and is a symbol of the herd mentality of so many people. The first person that ever did this could be said to have had some style and originality but anyone else that has done it is merely piggybacking on someone else's clever use of language.

A similar thing happened a few years ago on YouTube where when you watched any video that wasn't about cats, computer games or hack popstars someone would have written in the comments "I'm on the weird part of YouTube again" and it would have been voted as been one of the top comments. Scrolling through the comments would usually reveal at least anther 5-10 people writing the exact same line or a close variation of it. I got annoyed with this too at the time and went to videos by Lady Gaga, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, or clips from The Shawshank Redemtion etc. and commented "I'm on the mediocre part of YouTube again" as a lame protest of sorts.

I am pretty sure most people will see this as just a grumpy misanthrope whining about something unimportant and in many ways you would be right but in many other ways this goes right to the heart of most of the world's problems. The vast majority of people out there do practically no thinking for themselves, are happy to piggyback on other people's creativity and accept what they are told by people in authority (or with the illusion of authority), hence the survival of ridiculous ideas like religion, new age nonsense and conspiracy theories.

If more people took some time to do a little thinking for themselves, the world could be a much more pleasant place.

P.S. Just want to get in there first and say that quoting this post and starting your reply with the word this is not big and not clever.

For quite a while now I have been noticing the increased use of the word this as a single word sentence to signify agreement when quoting a post. This is really starting to annoy me. It is not that it is bad grammar or style but that it shows a lack of imagination and is a symbol of the herd mentality of so many people. The first person that ever did this could be said to have had some style and originality but anyone else that has done it is merely piggybacking on someone else's clever use of language.

A similar thing happened a few years ago on YouTube where when you watched any video that wasn't about cats, computer games or hack popstars someone would have written in the comments "I'm on the weird part of YouTube again" and it would have been voted as been one of the top comments. Scrolling through the comments would usually reveal at least anther 5-10 people writing the exact same line or a close variation of it. I got annoyed with this too at the time and went to videos by Lady Gaga, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, or clips from The Shawshank Redemtion etc. and commented "I'm on the mediocre part of YouTube again" as a lame protest of sorts.

I am pretty sure most people will see this as just a grumpy misanthrope whining about something unimportant and in many ways you would be right but in many other ways this goes right to the heart of most of the world's problems. The vast majority of people out there do practically no thinking for themselves, are happy to piggyback on other people's creativity and accept what they are told by people in authority (or with the illusion of authority), hence the survival of ridiculous ideas like religion, new age nonsense and conspiracy theories.

If more people took some time to do a little thinking for themselves, the world could be a much more pleasant place.

P.S. Just want to get in there first and say that quoting this post and starting your reply with the word this is not big and not clever.
That.

And Then Some.
Those

I do get where you're coming from I'd think the bigger issue is the chat like response and just an inflating post count with nothing more than a single word sentence that doesn't contribute to the post any more than just simply puting a like to show your agreement.

If they were to say more on why they agree with it and add to it that's fine, but I agree the simple "This." does nothing.

I have to believe it's a result somewhat of the ability to "like" or "favourite" everything we come across these days. If a person shares those feelings, but doesn't have the time or patience to write up something that agrees with the post/comment in question, simply writing "this" is an easy to understand and effective method of doing so.

What annoys me is when people say 'hashtag' in normal conversation.
I will only do it when I've got my stupid advertising head on, or alternatively in a tongue-in-cheek fashion.

+1

Those

I do get where you're coming from I'd think the bigger issue is the chat like response and just an inflating post count with nothing more than a single word sentence that doesn't contribute to the post any more than just simply puting a like to show your agreement.

If they were to say more on why they agree with it and add to it that's fine, but I agree the simple "This." does nothing.

👍👍

If the statement/video is very simple then possibly agreement could be summed up in one word, however I do agree that for most topics it is doubtful whether the person does truely completely agree and thus a one word reply is not sufficient to fully show their view.

However on the other hand I do feel that this is being very pedantic and in the fast abbreviated internet world then surely summing up agreement in one word is better than no interaction at all?

I find it annoying too. There's someone on my Facebook wall doing this constantly.

If the statement/video is very simple then possibly agreement could be summed up in one word, however I do agree that for most topics it is doubtful whether the person does truely completely agree and thus a one word reply is not sufficient to fully show their view.

However on the other hand I do feel that this is being very pedantic and in the fast abbreviated internet world then surely summing up agreement in one word is better than no interaction at all?

Srsly

Word.

What annoys me is when people say 'hashtag' in normal conversation.
I was on the phone the other day with an automated system and it told me to type in a number and "press the pound or hash key".

I was like, really?

I was on the phone the other day with an automated system and it told me to type in a number and "press the pound or hash key".

I was like, really?

notsureifserious-jpg.64335

Back