Time Gap within DR Rankings

• Thread starter PirovacBoy
  • 32 comments
Germany
Cologne/Germany
PirovacBoy
So today I just fired up my Playzi and did some Qualy Laps on Dragon Trail. So far so good, i managed a 1:37:917 in the 458 and felt ok. Not my opt. but fairly decent.
Than I started to question myself how big the time differences between each DR Class are and would like to know what you think.
From my personal experience, I can say that each Rank has an average time Gap within its Rank of roundabout 2 Seconds. For example today’s daily at Dragon Trail. #1 is a 1:36:2 so i think a high Dr S ranked Player should be able to hit that time. I‘m a mid Dr S so there‘s still much to improve.

So how do you feel about your Lap times in Relation to your Dr Rank? Is the Dr a decent representation of your driver Skill or would you say Dr doesn’t matter at all. It’s all about Consistency and Pace.
I‘m asking because I somehow still can’t believe that i‘m almost mid Dr.S but my Qualify times actually speak another language.

Consistency and racecraft is very important for DR, maybe moreso than one-lap pace. I find that practicing avoiding collisions and mistakes is more useful than grinding out quali laps. I usually qualify one or two seconds slower than the quickest DR A drivers but still stay comfortably above DR B by doing these things. However I appreciate that I have no chance of reaching a high A or S level without drastically improving my overall pace, which isn't something I have the willpower to do.

My qualifying times on most tracks are still DR:B I‘d guess, but if I get my laps together and not screw up all the time I‘d say my race speed deserves the DR:A :confused:

What I did also notice is that there are quite a few DR E/D/C Players which actually are very quick in hot lapping but somehow can’t seem to raise their Dr. I don’t know if it’s because they don’t participate in the dailies or if they are just one lap wonders, but lack consistency?!
The last few days I did a lot of Lobby Racing and encountered many of these coincidences. Guys/Gals ranked Dr.B/A/S but not consistent. And some Japanese DR.E Aliens, driving MachineStyle like fast and consistent.
Well I just think like @Jamie Bbbbb already mentioned, it’s racecraft and consistent pace that pays off in long term, at least that’s my experience too, as I tend to make almost no mistakes and can drive my races within 0.5~1Sec. off from my best Qualy lap times.

I am between DR: B and A, and in the middle B it was always around 2 Seconds to the Top Ten. Now in the higher B lower A it´s around 1,5 Seconds to the Top Ten.

When I played the first time in a A Group I had the feeling that everybody had a better qualifing, but the most of these where not Competitive in a race.... so I win mostly more than 6 Places until the end.

So, still I do the same, I racing qualifying until I reach the 1,50 Seconds to the top ten, and mostly I start at 7-9 Place.

What I did also notice is that there are quite a few DR E/D/C Players which actually are very quick in hot lapping but somehow can’t seem to raise their Dr. I don’t know if it’s because they don’t participate in the dailies or if they are just one lap wonders, but lack consistency?!
The last few days I did a lot of Lobby Racing and encountered many of these coincidences. Guys/Gals ranked Dr.B/A/S but not consistent. And some Japanese DR.E Aliens, driving MachineStyle like fast and consistent.
Well I just think like @Jamie Bbbbb already mentioned, it’s racecraft and consistent pace that pays off in long term, at least that’s my experience too, as I tend to make almost no mistakes and can drive my races within 0.5~1Sec. off from my best Qualy lap times.

Hot lapping and racing are different. I've seen people post amazing qually times but cannot race amongst others. I try to put as good a qualifying in as possible, but I try to keep race pace smooth and consistent. DR is a better representation of true race pace than qualifying.

I'd say on average there is a .500 to 1.00 second gap between DR. I've found the .500 needed to keep me in DR:A.

I'm high DR:A and my time is 1:37.441 in an M6
I definitely feel like I can improve so much more on the bus stop, but so far the gap in the races I participate in is around the same as yours, 1-2 seconds.

I think DR is pretty representative of your time, that is if you play Sport mode regularly. The only DR ranks I don't trust is E-D since there are S rank-capable drivers who just don't play Sport mode much

I vary between DRC and B. I’ve had plenty of situations where I have qualified about 1-2 secs off pole, but then have no problem keeping up with the leaders.

My DR usually exceeds my qualifying pace. I vary between DR.B and DR.A 25k to 40k depending on what races have been on. I'm pretty consistent on the track and mostly focus on staying on the road and finishing without any penalties. 80% of the positions I pick up are from passing wrecks.

I do max 3 qualifying laps as driving alone is boring. After a couple races I'll do another qualifying lap or two to raise my time to match my best lap time in race.

My DR is like a roller coaster, back to DR.A last night for the 5th time. It will be B again soon with Dragontrail GR.4. I do best with GR.1, probably since more people can't keep those cars on the track and I can move from 15th to 5th by simply staying on the road.

GT sport is my first racing game playing with mind of getting improvement. I mean I start this game as a real beginner and now a mid S. So I have the experience on different DR ranks.

From my experience, play casually without looking at the qualifying time keep me at DR B.
Qualify at1.5-2s slower than top10 time boost me to DR A very quick.
Qualify at 1s slower than top10 time bring me to DR S slowly.
I think it need to be within 0.5s from top10 to stay in DR S.
Now I sometime surprisingly make top10 time and I find I spend more time to time-practice than racing :D

Notes:
- I only reference the top number 10 time for the above. Because top 1 and top 10 usually have 1s+ gap already because of the few aliens.
- I only refer to the top 10 time during my play. I still never stay in top 10 at the end of day and I am hoping that day will come.

Last edited:
I managed to get into DR.A but my overall pace has me being more competitive with DR.B. I struggle to break into the top 10 in races now.

With qualifying, I'm usually about 1.5-2 seconds off the lowest top-10 time. I really can't see myself improving beyond that, at least not until the throttle is changed.

I'm mid Dr.B, and have not raced online in a few weeks... so... take that for what it is.
I'm usually 3-5seconds off #10 on the leader board (track dependent, and, my focus dependent, if it's a track I am "good" at and I'm focused, I get to 2.5-3seconds of #10, if it's a track I'm not "good" at, and my mind is tired, I'm 5-5.5seconds off #10)... typically start around 14th with a qualifying lap about 2seconds slower than the pole leader, and typically finish 6th to 8th. Most of my passes are avoiding accidents/cars spun out. I don't get passed often, but, don't put up much of a "fight"... I'll adjust my driving style to defend, but I don't block, and I don't "hold people up".

So, at mid Dr.B, I see the races have about 2 - 2.5second spread from pole to 16th.
I suck at putting one fast lap together, but can run lap after lap with a few tenths. I'm obviously not that fast, but keep my nose clean and avoid "incidents"... mind track limits and yellow flag passing notifications, so, rarely, very rarely, do I get a penalty.
So, my Dr.rank has much more to do with "maturity and consistency" than it does pace.

A nice addition would be if we could see our place under the Top10. Even if it's place 3455!
But you would get a better feeling of how much, or how many guys are faster than you.

I'm mainly 2-3secs slower than the Top 10, but get matched with them all the time. Mostly I race against 4-6 S/S drivers and don't stand a chance.
I just dont know where exactly I stand. Am I faster than most A drivers, or somewhere in the middle? Adding a more detailed List would be nice :)

A nice addition would be if we could see our place under the Top10. Even if it's place 3455!
But you would get a better feeling of how much, or how many guys are faster than you.

I'm mainly 2-3secs slower than the Top 10, but get matched with them all the time. Mostly I race against 4-6 S/S drivers and don't stand a chance.
I just dont know where exactly I stand. Am I faster than most A drivers, or somewhere in the middle? Adding a more detailed List would be nice :)

At my site, once you register, you'll be able to see that information. As proof,(I hope you don't mind me sharing this info) your time of 1:38.800 for the race at Dragon Trail was 1368th in the world, 937th in the region, and 152nd in the Deutschland.

Also, @PirovacBoy, it probably wouldn't take much for me to put something together that would breakdown qualifying times by DR, SR, and combined DR/SR for each track.

Last edited:
At my site, once you register, you'll be able to see that information. As proof,(I hope you don't mind me sharing this info) your time of 1:38.800 for the race at Dragon Trail was 1368th in the world, 937th in the region, and 152nd in the Deutschland.
Registration on your Site is essential. I‘m still partly buffed what stats you were able to pull off. And best is, it’s all free, big thumbs up for that one more time Mate. :cheers:

I'm usually a low DR S or high DR A qualifying time, and I rarely spend much more than 10-15 minutes qualifying these days.
My racing is what needs work, I lack consistency - and will often make mistakes.

My DR is currently high A.

I'm usually a low DR S or high DR A qualifying time, and I rarely spend much more than 10-15 minutes qualifying these days.
My racing is what needs work, I lack consistency - and will often make mistakes.

My DR is currently high A.
More time qualifying should help with the consistency in the race. 10-15 minutes is very short imo.

I am usually within 0.5-1.0 of top10 after couple laps. Then i need about half an hour to find the remaining tenths here en there and then some laps to put it all together for a perfect lap. By then i am usually in top10 or very close to it. I am mid DR S at around 62K.

I find on tracks which I'm average at lapping, I'm around a second or so off of #1, my favourite tracks around 0.6-7 seconds. If I have a crack before the evening I can scrape top 10 but get ousted later in the day and on average sit top 30.

Brands being one of my better tracks, I am on a 1.22.8 after half an hour with a few mistakes this evening, I think I could muster a 1.22.5 and make top 10 but that's the limit!

This is where DR hits a bit of a roadblock - I'm at just under 60k and still gaining as I usually get matched with maybe four S drivers max. On a good day I place well enough to keep chipping away the points, but in reality I don't think I deserve a high S as I'm not good enough compared to the top guys!

I find on tracks which I'm average at lapping, I'm around a second or so off of #1, my favourite tracks around 0.6-7 seconds. If I have a crack before the evening I can scrape top 10 but get ousted later in the day and on average sit top 30.

Brands being one of my better tracks, I am on a 1.22.8 after half an hour with a few mistakes this evening, I think I could muster a 1.22.5 and make top 10 but that's the limit!

This is where DR hits a bit of a roadblock - I'm at just under 60k and still gaining as I usually get matched with maybe four S drivers max. On a good day I place well enough to keep chipping away the points, but in reality I don't think I deserve a high S as I'm not good enough compared to the top guys!
I‘d say Dr is overrated imo. It’s nice for your ego thinking you are amongst the fastest. But i think the fastest S drivers are a very small Group. I‘m very glad to be in S but i‘d have no problem being in B or A too. I recently stopped playing Sport Mode completely. Maybe i‘ll Jump back anytime again but the ruthless behavior of some Wannabes is just pitiful. I‘m not the fastest but I respect every driver. Sadly it seems to be an attitude some As and Ss just completely forget.

I love it that you have quali pace and race pace. Both are important. But race pace is more fun if you want to keep up when your quali is not that good.

@jasguer: how can we see our own times related to the track and others ?

Do not forget that some people have just have bought the game. Aliens also do start at the bottom.

I am dr.b verging on dr.a but every time im in a race where I can have a high finish from a top 3 qualy I get punted from behind by some muppet who doesnt know how to use the brakes and they are all sr.s so the sr system is obviously crap atm

I love it that you have quali pace and race pace. Both are important. But race pace is more fun if you want to keep up when your quali is not that good.

@jasguer: how can we see our own times related to the track and others ?

Do not forget that some people have just have bought the game. Aliens also do start at the bottom.

For Daily Races and the FIA Races, after qualifying your time will appear on the Qualifying tab on the Daily Races page. At the same time, the 'My Records' page should also update with your best lap time for each race. Race history is a little different because it requires pulling a lot of data so that's only being done for registered users. The data that I'm getting from PD only updates about once a day for each user so race history will usually be accurate up to the previous day. It looks like you registered yesterday so it should update for you soon.

Aliens also do start at the bottom.
For sure, no question but some of them are often very fast in Qulifying but somehow don’t reach S rank. I have a few friends which are actually fast but still creep around C~B Rank. I think with a consistent performance it’s possible to compete in S Rank even if your lap times are 1-1.5 Seconds slower than #1 on Leaderboard. At least I somehow manage it unless i was in rooms with fast and consistent people. I had no chance.

For sure, no question but some of them are often very fast in Qulifying but somehow don’t reach S rank. I have a few friends which are actually fast but still creep around C~B Rank. I think with a consistent performance it’s possible to compete in S Rank even if your lap times are 1-1.5 Seconds slower than #1 on Leaderboard. At least I somehow manage it unless i was in rooms with fast and consistent people. I had no chance.
DR S covers from 50,000 to 75,000 points. That's a huge difference, so while someone who is 1-1.5 seconds off the top time in qualifying might not have much of a chance against the small number of DNA-certified Aliens, it's still a very competitive time in low to mid S. I agree that performing consistently along with racecraft and strategy are just as, if not more, important to be competitive, especially in the longer races with tire wear and fuel burn.

Back