Tips for a TT noob

I'm new to TT, my wife actually picked it up for me yesterday. I don't normally spend much time if any playing console games and technically the PS2 in my house belongs to my 13yr old but man TT is an amazing game! I'm extremely impressed with the quality of the game and how well it simulates riding. I think its about as good as it can get on the current generation of consoles.

Anyway the reason I'm here is despite having put about six hours :guilty: into the game already I'm still fairly sucky at it. I've struggled through the novice and junior licenses, golds are a rarity for me, maybe one or two for each license, now I'm beating my head against the Expert licence. I've tried a few races for bikes and I've never caught up with the AI rider much less passed him. I'm competent enough that I don't wreck much but I'm not hitting the turns on the right line and I'm not able to get back on the throttle soon enough to keep my times down.

Searching the net I'm not finding many tips for mastering the ride in TT so I was wondering if you guys had any links handy or just some tips for a noob? Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, I ride in real life, doesn't seem to be helping me much in the game though, in the real world you look through the turn and the bike goes there but in TT I can't see all the way though the turn :scared: Here's a pic of my current bike, a BMW R1200RT:
r1200rt_1.jpg

What sort of view are you using? I have mine set to completely behind the bike. That way, I can see the entire bike and the course surrounding it. It gives me a bigger view of the course.

Have you played the sister game, Gran Turismo? If you haven't, then I can understand there's a learning curve for you. I can't think of any tricks or tips. It's just like riding in real life. Find the braking point for each corner, figure out how long you need to hold the brakes, and when you can roll on the throttle.

I'm no gamer, trust me. This and Gran Turismo are the only games I own. I ride in real life, so I get where you're coming from. But give it time, and it will come to you.

Nice BMW by the way.

hehe, yeah I ride too and it took me a couple days at least to be able to hit the apexes correctly. I'd say the license tests are the best way to learn to do most things in this game.
As far as tips, maybe try playing around with the "Pro Mode" "Standard Mode" controller setups, and the Manual and Automatic Transmission setups. See which ones suit you best. Once you get a little more expierenced try playing around with different riding positions, they actually make quite a difference.
I also find the "handle bar view" gives you a much better view of upcoming corners, but because its so low it makes it a little difficult to see over hills and such. I prefer the behind the rider view myself.
Other than that I'd say just keep at it, and don't get to discouraged if you're having a hard time picking it up, before you know it you'll be cursing at how easy the AI is and that the game is too damn short!.:ouch::lol:

Nice BMW by the way. Must be a dream to ride compared to my KLR
:cheers:

I have played a little GT back-in-the-PS1-day so I understand this is a highly technical racer. I'd been using the first person view with just the speedo/tach. I'll try the 3rd person view and see if that helps. Part of my problem I think is I try to hit a delayed apex line like I would on the street.

curves.jpg

Works great on the streets but sucks for racing because you slow down so much to get the tighter turn radius :) Also reading this forum and the manual again I realized I've been pushing up the left stick most of the time which is putting weight on the front end and probably keeping the bike from diving into the turn properly.

My advise is to use the 3rd person view (looking over the bike) to see where you are apexing at. I use the standard controls with fail off and lean body. I've been leaning off the bike for 32 actuall real life years. This way, you can tuck in when you dont need the lowered center of gravity. This game doesnt simulate using the rear tire to turn the bike with any luck at all, so your best bet is to concentrate on a lower turn-in speed in with a good apex clip and CONCENTRATE on maximum speed departure. I like to lean back and wheelie slightly on all turn departures... not a big one, just a enough to know that the game isnt retarding my acceleration due to tire adhesion.
Just learn where this game is different than real life and get after it.

Another thing about the game physics is that it won't let you lose the back end on throttle. I guess that's the same thing Lightfighter was saying about using the rear wheel out of a turn. In TT, you don't get the full force of full throttle until the bike is upright. Also, instead of pulling the rear around with some throttle, it just pushes off the outside of the turn if you gas too much. The first thing I noticed when I got the game, compared to GT4, is the increased braking distances of bikes. I'm a casual rider in real life, I don't own a bike so I ride borrowed bikes, so I don't ride hard like the game. Nevertheless, I notice that EVERYTHING happens earlier in the game than it felt like it should at first: brake early, turn in early. Part of that is probably lack of depth perception on the TV screen.
As for the view, I can't use the behind-the-bike view, and I couldn't use that view in GT4. I can't make it relate in my mind to where the vehicle is actually at in the turn. I used the blank (no bars) 1st-person view when I started TT, because that was the closest to what I used in GT4, so I was used to it. The handlebar view felt like the bike picture was "in the way." I'm using the handlebar view more an more now, though, because it gives more visual indication of front end shake, and obviously, more of a sense of being on a bike. (It's also cool that each different bike is rendered correctly in this view.)
In your graph, the green line is WAY slower, no exit speed, even though the roll-on may be earlier, the speed at roll-on is enough lower to more than lose that advantage. If you get past the apex on turn entry, you almost have to park the bike to get through.
I use semi-pro control, because I like controlling the tuck. Pro is too busy for me, what with separate brake controls, I don't seem to have enough fingers.
As for overall impression of the game, I found it WAY easier than GT4, not just because it's shorter, but because I had no difficulty with any of it. Granted, after GT4 I already knew all the tracks except Valencia, but I had no problem with any of the challenges (other than the Yamaha 250 at Tsukuba, with the nearly impossible lead rider) and golded all 40 licenses with very little effort compared to my all-gold GT4. There was not a single race in any of the sets that I had any problem with at all. Find that magic brake/turn-in/throttle coordination, and you'll be the same.

wfooshee
Another thing about the game physics is that it won't let you lose the back end on throttle.

Happens all the time on full pro mode. With most bikes, if you open the throttle more than sixty percent when you're even moderately leaned over, wheelspin for days and the back turns to jello.

And if you thought the game was too easy, switch to pro mode. I played a full ten hours straight yesterday trying to beat the full course Laguna Seca time trial for gold in my Super license. Didn't do it in the end -- was shy of the gold time by a lousy 0.012 seconds. Must've restarted at least a thousand times.

- U

I'll be happy to present you with tips. First off, it's nice to meet you, St0nkingByte.

1. Be warned that cars and bikes handle much differentely from one another. Bikes are more fragile and require some earlier braking and better throttle control. Bikes can be a joy to ride in Tourist Trophy, but only as long as you know how to control them. So first things first- do well in your License Tests. Don't be afraid if you get Bronze. Get the experience you need to handle the bike properly. Surprisingly, I completed just about all of my license tests without seeing a single demonstration beforehand. Playing GT4 before Tourist Trophy gives you a 25% advantage because you're familiar with most tracks in the game. You just have to learn how to effectively race motorcycles around the tracks you will be racing on.

2. Learn the tracks. Many of the Original Courses have returned with little or no extra modification except for blocking off the pits. The World Circuits, however, have been modified for bikes. And as an incentive (I thought this was REALLY good), you get to race Suzuka's West Course, which didn't really see racing action in GT4. The only World Track completely missing from TT that's in GT4 is Le Mans. Some other variations of tracks are also not in the game. Many of the modified courses are specially-made to motorcycles. Most motorcycle courses are modified so that motorcycles don't go too fast into some corners. High-speed handling can be very tricky and very risky on a motorcycle. That's why courses are modified so safety is boosted. You must master the new Valencia course. The Ricardo Tormo Circuit of Valencia (I forget the Spanish pronouncisation) is a track raced on by series like World Superbike and MotoGP. Mastering this track requires you to be on focus at all times. You will get bursts of speed and power around the course, but remember that power is nothing without control. And you'll need to control the tricky corners if you want to stand the best chance to win.

3. Master your motorcycle or scooter. There is no such thing as a "ride train," so don't worry about stuff like mid-engine/RWD cars and the like. You can't sell bikes in the game. Be sure to pay attention to how the bike handles and what speed it possesses. If you need more power, switch to a Performance muffler for your motorcycle. You get an extra boost of power and maybe a new sound. Take some test runs around the available tracks to learn your bike's capabilities. I recommend El Capitan for its tricky lefts and rights. It's the best Original Track in GT4 other than Grand Valley or Motorland. I even recommend Motorland if you're just starting out in learning how to handle these things. Scooters are best for beginners. You even race a unique series tailored to one specific racing-ready scooter.

4. Find the right bike for the right race. If you can't race a 999cc bike in a 750cc race class, look for a certain other bike to use instead. Also, the first four series are for street bikes of varying displacement. The other 18 are for Racing Bikes only. Always read the race requirements to make sure your bike qualifies for the event. The Tourist Trophy World menu shows you the race events you can participate in. Any circle highlighted in blue is a series you can enter. And if you see a checkered flag by it, well, race the event! The negative is that you kind of have to keep track of what series you've completed. But again, every bike can participate in at least one race. So don't say that you can't find a race you can actually participate in for a specific bike.

5. Don't start with Arcade Mode. Arcade Mode is really tougher than Sim mode. You'll find yourself losing more than winning. If it makes you feel any better, completely avoid racing in 1-on-1 or full racing events.

Five tips from a guy who's had Tourist Trophy for about a week. You dig my advice?

Back