Tips on Winning the Yaris/ Elise Cups Please

• Thread starter jazza_2004
  • 24 comments
Hi all,

I'm keen to get 100% before GT4 comes out later in the year. I have just over 76% and (apart from getting all gold in the licences) I have the Yarris Cup, the Elise Cup and the F1 Championship to complete.

F1 Championship has to come last of course, so I need to complete the Yarris and Elise Cups but I am having real trouble.

I can win a couple of races, but especially with the Yarris Cup the opponent cars just seem to have more speed than me...

Any tips/ advice would be greatly apprechiated...

Thx

Jazz

Welcome to GTPlanet, Jazz. Try a Search for "Vitz" or "Yaris" and plenty of answers should come up for your questions.

Hate to say it but then you're driving skills isn't good enough. Search for a good setup on the yaris. it should not be hard to find here.

Ok the point is this; It's quite obvious to me that I am not driving well enough to win this race. I wasn't looking for a setup, I was looking for some advice on driving the courses in this cup.

However as usual, when new to a forum you get folks with 4k+ posts lording themselves over you.

"Sorry, your just not good enough" - Thx. very helpful.

Well, a few pointers then.

Try braking early, and easing the throttle back on when exiting a corner. The AI in this series are seriously boosted cars. I'd suggest full mods on this little rocket.

Throttle control is imperative when driving a heavily modded FF car. If you're too fast on the throttle, you'll understeer right into the outside wall.

As you sit back and analyze a track, where are you seeing the tires spin, or problems develop?

Provide us a bit more info and we'll be a bit more helpful.

AO

Hey Der Alta thx, I think I get what you are saying - I have been trying to drive the Yaris to much like a race car, brake as late a possible and then try to get as much power down as possible round the corner, what you are saying is I should treat it more like a road car? Brake earlier, and coax it round the corners?

One of the problems I definately get is loosing control on the exit of corners; understeering, over compensating by backing off and either I run out of road or I'm down on power going into the straight.

I'll try out your suggestion.

Love the Compendium BTW.

Thx

I know you were more interested in driving tips, but with the Yaris/Vitz series there is one setup point that will make a world of difference:

Dial in about -1.5 to -2.0 toe (toe out) in the rear. This will really really help the understeer situation and get the car to rotate more, particularly under acceleration.

Then as AO suggested, really follow a "slow in, fast out" approach. Since the Yaris/Vitz is no fireball, you need to conserve every ounce of momentum that you can. The earlier you can ease back on the gas, the bigger the payoff you'll get in speed all through the following straight.

I started playing GT3 in Nov03, just to give you a barometer of my skill level. Im probably average compared to most on this board.
When it was my time to do the Vitz Pro race, all I heard was how difficult it was, particularly SS11. So I searched and found this setup. I had no real trouble even on SS11. With SS11, as long as you can stay close to the lead pack at the time that they pit, you'll midway to late, take them easily by not having to pit. Some people cheat a lil' by "wall-riding" at key points. I for one, did this my first time, as it was suggested to me. Now, I do it without wall-riding, since I know the car better, and win by an even greater margin. Its your choice.

The thing with wall-riding, especially if you use an automatic tansmission, is to go into the turn quickly, while turning your nose away from the wall, as to minimize the wall slowing you down. The whole reason, I guess, in wall riding on SS11, is to get around the Vitz understeer thru tough turns. The other thing, when coming out of a wall-ride, is to to keep your RPM's up, by staying in a lower gear so that you get away from the wall quicker. I did this by holding the shiftdown button, thus, preventing the auto trans from dropping from 2nd gear to 3rd, thus slowing you down out of the turn.

Settings:
First, do the oil change to get max HP. Then, max out your Tune options with Lightweight added. I had about 243 HP. I also raced with T2 tires on the Front, and T4's on the Rear, and didnt have to pit. You can try T2's on both, its just that as long as you dont have to pit, the T4 on the Rear gives ya a little extra grip, therefore, speed. Whichever you prefer. The Brake balance on this setup, has more emphasis on the Rear, as to help compensate for the cars understeer, I guess.

Front / Rear

Spring: 6.7/11.5
Ride Height: 91/98
Shock Bound: 3/7
Rebound: 6/10
Camber: 2.0/0.0
Toe: 0/0
Stabilizer: 3/7
Brakes: 17/24
LSD: 6/11/6
ASM: 0
TCS: 1
Gears:
1st: 2.447
2nd: 1.710
3rd: 1.276
4th: 0.996
5th: 0.813
6th: 0.695
Final: 4.360
Autoset: 25

My PS2 is in the shop. Id like to try Famines settings with the Toe particularly, in seeing how it helps understeer. I got 100% status last month, so Im going around a second time now, making the races more competiive. This setup has no Toe, of course, therfore, you can either do it right, by setting up you car properly, or cheat a little. :)

Thx for the great advice. I have managed to win the Elise Cup now - I found with the Elise it is to some extent a case of allowing the car to do what it wanted. The Motor Sport Elise seems to quite like going sideways around corners in big long power slides. Once I learnt to allow it to do this and keep the power on, instead of trying to correct it I made up seconds on every lap...

...So just the damn Yaris Cup to go...

Here's a repost of some info from my Yaris writeup:

Pink prize car Vitz/Yaris
Mods: everything except LW3, brake balancer, and flywheel - 294 hp at start

Settings as follows:
Tires: T2s
Springs: 6.0/6.2
Ride Ht: 89/89
Bound: 4/8
Rebound: 5/9
Camber: 3.5/1.0
Toe: +0.5/-0.5
Stabs: 4/5

Autoset: 22, 25, 27
F/D: 4.312
LSD: 10/15/5
ASM: 0
TCS: 1

The Vitz actually handles quite well for a FWD kei car. With the setup above it rotates readily and grips well through medium- and high-speed corners. When built up for this series, though, front end grip issues are brought out by the extra power. However, they can be dealt with in a few ways:

1) Use very light throttle - almost coast - around the tighter corners. The car is so light that you can brake realtively late, then stop braking while you still have momentum. Turning in at this point under very low throttle will pull the front of the car right around. Resist the temptation to accelerate until you are nearly through the turn and can unwind the steering nearly all the way.

2) Stay a gear higher than recomended in tight corners, and use very smooth throttle on exit. With almost 300 hp the Vitz will spin the front tires at 50 mph in 3rd gear, so be gentle on it and it will acelerate better - and steer better too.

3) For medium- and high- speed corners, stay a gear lower than recommended. This keeps the car in the power band better, but more importantly it really lets you throttle steer. At medium speed and high revs, staying in 3rd or 4th lets you transfer weight forward and aft at will, which has a dramatic effect on the short-wheelbased Vitz's cornering line.

All in all I enjoyed this series a lot, and I like the Pink Vitz! It's a great little car and I plan to use it a lot more in the early phase of my next restart.

The Vitz is the Japanese and North American version. The Yaris is the European name for it. They are the same car.

Thing that tipped the scales in my favour on the Yaris Cup was running hard tyres and not pitting. I was going good the first couple of laps but halfway through found myself droppng slowly to 5th. But the AI cars pitted near the end of the race and I overtook them. Just needed some clean driving to bring it home.

p.s. Get your car tuned max, including oil change and some mileage

Just to get a word in. I used camber 2 - 0, toe at -1.5 - +.5, stabs 1-7, and extreme rear brake bias of about 15-25. No LSD, the last thing the Bitz needed was more understeer.

Originally posted by neon_duke
Dial in about -1.5 to -2.0 toe (toe out) in the rear. This will really really help the understeer situation and get the car to rotate more, particularly under acceleration.
quite the opposite, this would cause more understeer

Originally posted by neon_duke
Uhh, no, it wouldn't.

Motion seconded and carried.

And since I hold the second fastest aggregate time for the Yaris cup races, I think I'll believe me.

Hey thx guys - just complete Yaris Cup - all but F1 series left now... :)

I agree with those that say this is a great series - I hated it at first, but in fact it's *so* much better to win real hard races by driving skill and less by entering with overpowered cars.

What happens at 100%? I mean anything except getting the F686 or whatever it is...?

Depends on what your last race is. I received 4 cars at once.

For example, the last race I had to do before achieving 100%, was the Grand Valley Endurance race.

When I won that race, I randomly won an F090/s.
Then, having registered all Golds in Endurance, I acquired the F094/h.
Then, having registered all Golds in Simulation(which Endurance falls under), I acquired the F688/s.
Then, having completed 100%, I acquired the F094/s

A lovely 4-fecta!!

Originally posted by Quisp, edited for PAL by Famine
Formula Championship: Polyphony 001 F1 Car (3/4 times), Polyphony 002 F1 Car (1/4 times)
Then, having registered all Golds in Professional, I acquired the Polphony 001 F1 Car.
Then, having registered all Golds in Simulation (which Professional falls under), I acquired the Polyphony 002 F1 Car
Then, having completed 100%, I acquired the Polyphony 001 F1 Car

Originally posted by jazza_2004
I'm keen to get 100% before GT4 comes out later in the year. I have just over 76% and (apart from getting all gold in the licences) I have the Yarris Cup, the Elise Cup and the F1 Championship to complete.
All gold is not required for 100%. I think you probably didn't do the arcade mode events. You also have to get first place on all of the arcade mode single runs and time trials to get 100%.

Look for question 3 in my GT3 FAQ here:

http://granturismox.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77

Going for all gold licenses is a good way to improve your skills but it won't get you any closer to 100% by itself.

As for the Yaris and Elise, I recomend lots of practice. With full upgrades, the Yaris is actually not that difficult except for SSR11. I'm not sure why that course is tougher than the others but it is. IIRC I used a fully upgraded Motorsport Elise for the Elise Cup. As I recall it was also one of the more skill demanding races where you can't really cheat by using a more powerful car than the AI's.

Currently doing this race. Worst and most boring championship/cup I have ever raced in GT history yet! Putting a rubber band on my controller for the test course, bored out of my mind!:boggled: But I will use some of the set ups in here, and see if my Yaris is any better.

Back