tires

• Thread starter Luwee
  • 28 comments
In terms of which tyres are closest to real in terms if simply grip levels, well its about halfway between N2 and N3...

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71113

...however, which would best suit you for drifting is a much more personal choice and experimentation is really the only way to find that out.

Regards

Scaff

That's about it right there!

I'll leave this thread open for now to see if any decent conversation starts from it. But if not.... :sly:

Hmm,i would say N3 tires are realistic.there quite grippy and could do some powersliding at the same time.The N3 tire is a compromise between grip and drift.each type of tire have different type of grip level.Even an R1 tire has more grip than a S3 tire and vice versa.If only GT bring back Simulation Tires back in GT5 (even if i never did use it)

If only GT bring back Simulation Tires back in GT5 (even if i never did use it)

Why would they need to do that? N1 to N3 replaced the single Simulation tyre type (or Control tyre from GT2); we never lost them, PD just changed the name.

Proof of this can be found in this thread...

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70051

...which compares stock and Control/Simulation/N tyres for GT, GT2, GT3 and GT4 across all major drivetrains.

You will also see that the N type tyres from GT4 are the more realistic in terms of grip levels in the series so far.

Regards

Scaff

Well i guess so,Its just that......well i dont really use N tire (or simulation or whatever you called it) during GT1,GT2 and GT3.Usually I can use sport tire and the car could actually start to drift with little effort.But in GT4,the tire grip from each compound (Normal,Sport and Racing) has a big difference in tire grip.Like i can't even start sliding with a S1 tire (its possible to slide,but it takes more effort.go figure!) but PD really wanna make us use those N tires (for some reason...) Like in previous games,the simulation tire was rarely/never been used.But now each tire has their significant amount of grip/wear.Its cool to have these tire choices,but makes thing too complicated for beginners (you know what i mean).

maybe brining back a simulation tire would be easier for beginners to choose.
at least for me; i wanted to start out with realistic tire grip but i cant choose between n2 and n3.

maybe brining back a simulation tire would be easier for beginners to choose.
at least for me; i wanted to start out with realistic tire grip but i cant choose between n2 and n3.

They can't bring back simulation tyres as they never left (the name just changed and you got more choice), the best advice I can give is to pick one tyre and just practice with it. The closest GT4 will have to the old Simulation or Control tyres would be N3's so you may want to give them a go.

👍

Scaff

OK,are those tyres N(1,2,3),S(H,M,S),R(H,M,S) exist in real life ,or it just in GT4 :confused:

Uhh GT4........but they are trying to represent the different types of tyre you can buy in the real world.

N are Normal tyres in GT4 and are meant to represent real world road tyres.

S are Sport tyres in GT4 and are meant to represent real world track tyres (the type of semi-road legal tyre fitted to track day and performance cars)

R are Racing tyres and are meant to represent full racing slicks of various types.

With all the lower the number the harder it is meant to be and the less grip it has, but the longer it will last (with its class), so they run as follows..

N1 - N2 - N3 - S1 - S2 - S3 - R1 - R2 - R3 - R4 - R5

..so while an S1 is the hardest and least grippy of the Sports tyres, it would still have more grip than an N3 (which is the most grippy of the N tyres).

Hope that helps

Scaff

ok ,I'm stuk with N tyres in GT4 and real world (I didn't undrstand it very well)
but this is what I think,if you fit N tyres in GT4 with any high Bhp (maybe Toyota GT-one)and play in any track(maybe saettle) tyres will hold about 13 laps until the tyres get the color red,
but in real world (and I'm not very sure about that ) it will explode after you go about 1 mile

is that what I'm saying true ,or false

if my thought was false ,then why (in real world)any racing team (may F1 Ferrari team)not choose N tyres

ok ,I'm stuk with N tyres in GT4 and real world (I didn't undrstand it very well)
but this is what I think,if you fit N tyres in GT4 with any high Bhp (maybe Toyota GT-one)and play in any track(maybe saettle) tyres will hold about 13 laps until the tyres get the color red,
but in real world (and I'm not very sure about that ) it will explode after you go about 1 mile

if my thought was false ,then why (in real world)any racing team (may F1 Ferrari team)not choose N tyres

Quite simply because GT4 is not the real world and its not 100% accurate (and besides I very much doubt you would get 13 laps out of a set of N1s in a GT-One).

Quite simply N tyres in GT4 are the same sort of tyres you see on cars out on the road, not suitable for racing as in GT4 they don't have the grip.

Real world tyre physics and composition is a fascinating, but incredibly complex subject and GT4 (and all games/sims) simplifies it to a massive degree.

Regards

Scaff

Indeed, tires are very complex in real life and games do little to no justice to that fact.

What I've always felt about tires in GT4 is that each car has an ideal. While some cars can run N2's with ease, other cars need something with more grip.
A good example of how distorted the tire-car relationship can be, look at the Mercedes McLaren SLR and the Amuse Carbon R. The SLR has incredible grip even though it runs more than 600hp. N2 tires can be used on the SLR without much trouble at all. On the other hand, the Amuse Carbon R doesn't have too much more power (quite a bit less weight) but when it runs N2 tires it is hopeless. In fact, the Amuse Carbon R, despite the huge wing, has such a low grip level that it doesn't really get "acceptable" traction until you're running with racing tires.

So, what this leads me to believe is that...
If you want to find the best tire for your car to ensure you will enjoy running laps, please consider using any type of tire and avoid letting stigmas change you actions.
Test as many tires as you can and stick with the one that "feels" best.

That is, unless you are running in races, then use the tire with the most appropriate level of grip and endurance. 👍 :sly:

Personally, I enjoy running all of the tires, although I usually go with tires that have the most grip for their group (except with racing tires where I often choose R3s over R5s, unless I'm doing Super Race Car hotlaps!). :D

Quite simply because GT4 is not the real world and its not 100% accurate (and besides I very much doubt you would get 13 laps out of a set of N1s in a GT-One).

Quite simply N tyres in GT4 are the same sort of tyres you see on cars out on the road, not suitable for racing as in GT4 they don't have the grip.

Real world tyre physics and composition is a fascinating, but incredibly complex subject and GT4 (and all games/sims) simplifies it to a massive degree.

Regards

Scaff

So can I say PD miss some thing important :nervous:

There's more to it than just the tire compound... suspension settings should matter as well, so I'm not the least surprised that the Carbon has worse grip on N2 than the SLR (although I'm not sure, I assume the Amuse has a lot shorter and stiffer suspension).

I like N3s best as a "close to reality" tire, but it's a shame you can't really power over on them in GT4... a 300 HP car should be able to burn some rubber in 2nd gear with normal tires, no?

false.
its not bhp the tires take too much of, its heat. too much heat in a tire will kill it. also exceeding its speed capacity is also not safe either, but that also has to do with heat. more speed=more heat that will be in the tire.
f1 teams have special tire compounds that ARE the highest tire technology available to date(also not available to the public), that is also why they dont run street tires. their race tires will last longer and have more grip than street tires.

ske, ive ridden in all types of cars ranging from 150hp to almost 500 whp and none(except the 500hp S13 convertable, that thing was a beast! he had traction problems, but no "smoking" them) have really smoked the tires on a launch to get up to speed before corner 1.
unless the driver just dumped the clutch, it wouldnt really burn them up.
all on street tires too.

pd missed alot of things on here.
tires, physics, alot.
i hate that pd put in abs for every car, not any fun just to mash on the brakes and the car smokelessly silently slow to a stop.
bleh.

not even close
no lock up at full braking=abs
it might screech a little, but no tire smoke, no locked wheels = abs.

I also find it annoying that every car has the option of TCS. When was the last time you saw a Hemi 'Cuda with Traction Control?!?

On the tyre front I prefer N2s. Except for on the Renault 5 Turbo, that thing drifts enough on S2s!

why do some people write tyres and others tires?

ive been wondering for the longest time now

Because American's can't spell:sly:

Tire is the American version and Tyre is the english *cough* correct *cough* version. Much like color vs colour.

bleh, silly english people. leave the english to the americans.
kidding, dont get all offended by that.
its their weird way of spelling things.

Back