Tooned/Vectored Cars + Stuff

Discussion in 'Art & Photography' started by donbenni, Sep 4, 2003.

1. donbenni

donbenni

Spent most of today making this. The original car is one that i chopped for an old GTPlanet comp. I'd like to hear comments from everyone and suggestions for improvements from those of you who are good at this stuff. I struggled with the lights; only partially vectored them, and i know i used too many black lines. Any advice on the lights?

[​IMG]

2. CDailey

CDailey

:eek: That is awesome!

3. Initial Racing

Initial Racing (Banned)

Woah...what the feezy.....
    You gotta really sit down and rethink your coloring process. Not that your color choices are bad, but look at all the cut offs for the colors and what do you see? Nothing but empty, uncolored areas where the black lines meets the white background. Then, after that, the colors are choppy. It doesnt feel like an Evo how you colored it.
    Now lets start on your picture choice. You chose to vector a rice mobile Evo...which is basically no longer an Evo, but a Transformer.
    And leaving elements from the original picture in there like the lights is kinda cheap. Also, where are the windows? Windows arent 100% transparent. Put a blue hue or greyish blue hue in there to show that they exist.

Other than all my points on what needs to be changed, its a pretty good first.

4. Timmotheus

Timmotheus

The lights look vectored to me, even if some elements are left from the original. Also, it might be an optical illusion, but the windows look slightly tinted as well. I like it :tup:, but the front right wheel looks a little weird. :odd:

Edit: I like transparency: [​IMG]

5. under18carbon

under18carbon

Looks pretty good to me.
    Good luck with your future vector projects Donbenni. :)

6. Cano

Cano Premium

mwahaha you know what Im gonna say dude: riceeeeeeeee... :D :D :D just this time you went way too far >.<
    and, I think the colors look to... plane. you oughta try getting another darker color into the ecuation. it might look better. but, hey, it looks very good, good luck on developing this stuff more man! :D

Cano

7. donbenni

donbenni

Have a word with yourself, at least i tinted them yellow:

http://images.deviantart.com/large/indyart/vector/Redone_RX-7_2.png

I was kinda hoping that you, over of all these others, would help out more as you're so good at this. Can you elaborate on wtf you're talking about when commenting on the pic, it's just too technical for me. You can leave out the ricing and transfromer remarks though ;)

Thanks everyone for the comments, and timmotheus, i only chose white because i was making a new background for my pc. Transparent does look sweet though :)

8. Shannon

Shannon

The colours are nice (nice as in, the picture looks vector-like), but there is too much jaggies and the lines aren't smooth and round. You can see that you used a Point to Point line tool for the outline.

9. donbenni

donbenni

Well how else can you do the outline? There's less jaggies on the original rather than the transparent one.

10. Shannon

Shannon

Use the pen tool. Set it to use a black outline and no fill.

11. Initial Racing

Initial Racing (Banned)

Don, copy and zoom in on my piece and look closely. The window is lighter with a few streaks of highlights to show that the window exists.
    And no, I wont elaborate, I dont like to explain all the time. :D

12. donbenni

donbenni

Whatever, you can continue to think that you're better than everyone else, on some other level.

Thanks Shannon, that gives me a lot to work with :tup: At least some people are helpful :)

13. Initial Racing

Initial Racing (Banned)

****in ass, just because I have some level of talent doesnt mean I have to tell everyone how to better thier work. Im not obligated to help people or tell them my methods. And just because I choose not to help you doesnt give you the right to say that I think Im better than everyone else. Thats just ****ing ignorant.
    You really want to learn so bad? Teach yourself, I did.

14. donbenni

donbenni

It would've been nice if you hadn't even commented in the first place then. I wasn't ever looking for unhelpful replies, unsurprisingly.

15. TokyoDrifta

TokyoDrifta

Who the Hell do you think you are? i dont care if you are a print artist or whatever. Why would you complain about his tint when you dont tint your own? fix your own mistakes before you critisize others you damn hipocrit. [​IMG] and i do think you think you are better than everyone else :mad:

16. kazesupra

kazesupra

looks like one more thread down the drain due to opinions. Anyway, good S**T man. Love that vector. *pondering whistfully how he can ever do something like that*

17. Initial Racing

Initial Racing (Banned)

Whatever...loser....Im being called a hypocrite from a guy who hounds me to help them have a style like mine so much that I had to block them.

Also, why do people restate a sentence that has already been cleared?

lol, somewhere over at Deviant Art, my office, and Adobe headquarters, hundreds of people are laughing.

One more damn thing, how come no matter what kind of comment I make, some 2 year old has to go piss and cry and call me stupid names? Is it because I have an established look, style, feel, job, etc or because you dont like it when some person who has something you dont doesnt tell you how to do it. Listen, no matter who you think needs to help you, they dont have to. No one is obligated to help you or tell you you did a good job......
    Retards. Why do I even post here? You dont even read.

18. TokyoDrifta

TokyoDrifta

good point, why do you? and that has been drifterzz nickname given to me, why complain about it? ill change it if you want.

19. MIKE#3

MIKE#3 (Banned)

That is the best cartoon car i ever seen in my life!!!!!!!do you got aim donbenni? im me at mexican3baller if you can teach me a thing or two........

20. donbenni

donbenni

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Mike, i'll pm you :)

Using Shannon's help, and a long night i sorted out using the pen tool and did a Subaru. It's much cleaner than the Evo, but it's not as nice to look at. I've gotta try another more interesting car next time.

Attached Files:

21. under18carbon

under18carbon

That looks awesome Donbenni! :tup:

22. Initial Racing

Initial Racing (Banned)

Now were talkin. Great work. Gotta love Illustrator.

23. Initial Racing

Initial Racing (Banned)

Looking closer, I still see some things that you need to clean up or improve. Minor things.
    There is still grey aliasing were other blacks meet more black. All you need to do to get rid of that is put a layer above or below the line art and take your lasso tool (with antialias unchecked and no feather) and just get as close to the edge of the lineart as possible and trace around it. Then just fill that area (in the new layer) with black and viola! All your grey aliasing is dead.

Now, onto the coloring. It looks like you are a "screen and multiply" man. But you may be doing something different. Anyway, the coloring on the sides needs improvement. You cant tell or feel that this car has widebody fenders with your coloring here. Now Im an advocate for not putting black lines everywhere, but you may just wanna denote the widebody fenders with some or just do it with a highlight color to show them.

Other than my nitpicking, great improvement.
    BTW, I dont know if you are leaning towards more realistic vectors or more cartoonish vectors like mine, but if you wanna try cartoonish vectors I have a palette you can use.

24. donbenni

donbenni

Thanks man, yeah i see what you mean. I'm trying to aim for cartoon vectors, but i guess i may have put too much time into getting this one right and took it past the cartoon level :) I'd be really grateful for the palette. Thanks

25. donbenni

donbenni

Oh and i'm using photoshop 7 btw

26. Tharaka

Tharaka

great work donbenni...

i like the subaru more than the evo.. coz its a bit more over the top, eg: bodykit...

but great work *thumbs up*

27. donbenni

donbenni

Heheh yeah, that's why i like it :D

28. Cano

Cano Premium

whoa! incredible improvement don!!! this one looks right on the money. you are really getting to knoe the stuff. cool man.

Cano

you know, now I wanna learn how to vector :irked:

29. TokyoDrifta

TokyoDrifta

everyone wants to learn lol

30. under18carbon

under18carbon

Everybody wants a piece of the vector art pie. :D I'm intersted in learning too.