Top Speed

• Thread starter Arclite
  • 45 comments
Tourist Trophy = 198mph on the Yosh X-1, back straight of Nurb. Ring. That seems woefully slow amongst this community. It just started getting so light in the front, and it seemed like wind resistance was holding it back.

Real Life = 163mph (speedo indicated) on a 2003 RC51. Did it on one of those long high sierra straights where you can see the end of the road pin-point off into the horizon. It seemed like the bike had more, I kinda chickened out, things felt way too calm. Nothing good could happen there.

Anyway, what about you guys?

I've hit 205 on the trick star on the high speed ring straight. Haven't really tried that bike elsewhere. That was without playing with the gear ratios.

It 213 on the Fuji straight on the YSP.

i just broke 215 in the Honda CBR1000RRW 7 Honda on Fuji.

other than that i can barely break 200.

and on the striaght on the Nurburgring, its too bumpy to hold speeds close to 200 unless you want to wreck. and with failure cond. on, you dont want to do that.

201 on the Busa while on the Ring, but it gets way to shakey at those speeds and I almost lose it. Also I can't seem to slow down with out crashing either.

turn the bike round at the very start of lap at nurby and get to where u can get a straight line aiming up the straight and floor it, you will be able to take the corner full speed, where as the other way you have to lift off because of the bumps. top speeds over 230 are possible.

Do you have to do something to the riding form to get in more of a tuck?

Probably around 150 (165 indicated on the speedo.. which normally are 10% off). An 05 GSX-R 600, an anonymous highway, IRL.

Stupid thing to do, much more fun to bend it into a nice corner

Spectre600, I'm with you as far as the irresponsible nature of gunning it down in the straights. I did that on my friends bike; he was cool with it. Both of my steeds (an 01 SV650 w/01 R1 forks, and an 06 Husqvarna SMR450) are geared towards the twisties, and have nothing to do with top end speed. Anyone can go fast in a straight line...and we have all done it at one time or another....
DSC_6540.jpg

DSC_2453.jpg

Arclite
Spectre600, I'm with you as far as the irresponsible nature of gunning it down in the straights. I did that on my friends bike; he was cool with it. Both of my steeds (an 01 SV650 w/01 R1 forks, and an 06 Husqvarna SMR450) are geared towards the twisties, and have nothing to do with top end speed. Anyone can go fast in a straight line...and we have all done it at one time or another....

It seems nowadays evryone buys a sportbike to fly down the highway as fast as they can... *Anyone* can hold the throttle open. Frankly, pure speed gets boring. Ontop of that, is really dangerous. Highways are no place to go for insane triple digit speeds (ok, maybe in the desert.. where you can see a car coming from 5 miles away).

I rode with a group (once) that would just go nuts on the straights. Then they would haul on the brakes and tiptoe through the next turn.. I dont feel any need to go that fast down the straights, but I love ripping through the next corner. Well, you can imagine how frustrating it is to see them blast off down evry straigh piece of pavement, then pile up behind them as they duckwalked through the next corner... That just takes *all* the fun out of it.

Leaning deep into a corner and cracking the throttle open is one of the most deeply satisfying experiences motorcycling has to offer. Its something that had me going on 500 mile rides into the mountains evry nice weekend I could.

There is a thrill to going fast, but (for me, at least) that thrill wears off. I think some people just buy a faster bike once they get complacent with the accelleration they get from thier current steed. And you end up with some jackass trying to go 170 mph on a ZX-10R on a metropolitan highway when he barely knows how to turn.

A bit of advice to anyone that craves this sort of speed.. go to an empty parking lot, and practice stopping as hard as you can. If you can find an empty desolate road, practice stopping from high speeds. Youll see that stopping from 80..100..120 mph takes ALOT of room. And you will be more cautious about how fast you go, and where.

Its as easy to go fast in real life on a motorcycle, as it is in TT.. Just hold the throttle open. Slowing down and turning are a different story.

Nice pics btw, ive never ridden a husky, but the SV is a freaking hoot through the twisties. Fast as you ever need it to be too. I dont think ive even heard of R1 fork on an SV, must be a beast! Id like to hear how you did that, im always interested in stuff like that (im a machinist), shoot me a PM if you have a minute.

In real life, the fastest I've done is about 100 on my old '75 Gold Wing tucked down onto the tank and without a fairing. Top speed really isn't my thing, though. I'd rather just bend it into the corners and enjoy the ride.

Well said Spectre600.👍 I get no greater joy than outcornering sportbikes in my local twisties with my '03 KLR650. Even after they leave me in the dust when the road turns straight.
Speed is fun, but there's so much more to motorcycling than going fast in a straight line. After all if speed was what it was all about I would have never purchsed the KLR:lol:And I've been riding nearly 19 years now, so I knew exactly what I was getting with that bike.
To me, long distance traveling, dual sporting and finesse through the curves is what it's all about (well mostly anyway).

But hey, better to get your speed fix in the game than on the local public roads. That's what video games are for.
:cheers:

Edit:
Real life:
158 mph in my '88 Mustang 5.0 ( 254 km/h )
179 mph on friends Kawasaki ZX12 ( 288 km/h )
95 mph on '99 Ski-doo Summit w/twin turbos ( 152 km/h )

Oh the hypocricy!

I did 247mph going the wrong way on the 'Ring straight with the Honda 7 stars. That was in the regular mode...haven't tried it in arcade...haven't played Arcade at all but I'll have to after hearing that you can up the power/lower weight.

I hit 180mph on the ring lastnight on the Kawasaki Zepher1100 RM...not bad for such a heavy bike and 95hp....but boy did it get shakey, I also was able to slow it down and make the turn though.

Whoa Trussii65!!! That 95mph on the ski-doo must have felt like warp speed!!! The most wrecked up (outside of road-rash & scrapes) I've ever been, was due to a get-off on a PWC. That water is hard at speed, and trying to predict choppy water is nearly impossible. The whole "it's only water" thing, lulls you into thinking it's okay to get crazy.

Arclite
DSC_6540.jpg

DSC_2453.jpg

Cool, I hit the twisties here in CA 3-4 times a week Year around. Love my r1, the wieght of it feels almost exactly the same as the 05 r6s, Its the 01 r1, shorter wheel base like the 6, and alot more low end power than the new R1s, unless they have power commander n crap to fix the power curve:yuck: But i can throw the r1 just as good as i can throw the r6s around..all about throttle control and its about YOU..of course.

Arclite
Whoa Trussii65!!! That 95mph on the ski-doo must have felt like warp speed!!!

Yeah, it did, but it was on a big open frozen lake so it didn't seem that fast. Those things get up to speed so quickly you really don't even have time to think about it. The ZX12 was beyond warp speed, it felt more like being teleported. The best part is the owner of that bike still hasn't been able to crack 160mph:lol:
Just for the record, the both of us are very experienced riders (about 18 years) and hitting those speeds is not something that should be taken lightly, nor is it something we do regularly.

I just did 243mph backwards at the ring on the 7stars honda, but it was weaving like a drunk at the beginning. Then I wheelied from 150 - 240 coming back :)

Arcade mode +20% power, -20% weight, with the max speed gearing. It appears theoretically capable of 254 mph on flat land, I see MazKid went 247 already, I'll keep trying.

260kph give or take on the conector between Kelowna and Vancouer. 2001 zx6r. carbon highmount Devil race pipe, custom undertail, pigspotter mirrors.

Yeah I tried in Arcade mode and it hit the rev limiter at about 251mph. Sucks that you can't use your own gear ratios in arcade mode.

Back