Touring Madness!

• Thread starter jamxx
  • 10 comments
All right! I decided to "try" and do a write-up as best as I could. I'm a first timer, so if this seems a race done easily by some of the godfathers of GT3, then I'm glad that you're great at GT3! For me, however, this was a tough challenge. I hope you enjoy! :D

I decided to give myself a challenge against those darn touring cars that I oh so loved when I was in them. So I set up my little Impreza Rally Car (not Prototype) and drove up to the starting line of the German Touring Car Challenge. I also used an Automatic Transmission. I always do, and I know it's a bad habit, but oh well...

I stupidly also decided not to qualify for a 3-lapper in Trial Mountain. As the green light flashed, I could already tell that this was an even match concerning speed and probably handling. This was going to be fun! I quickly passed the Calibra lagging behind the rest of the pack, and he caused me no more trouble throughout the whole rest of the race. I was stuck in 5th place until I came up to the "turn of the tunnel" and did some late-braking action and came out with a respectable 3rd place. The two cars ahead of me were a Calibra and the dreaded CLK, which I knew was going to cause me trouble. I passed the one and only Astra on the tunnel turn as well as another Calibra. That left 2 Calibras and an Astra behind my belt. I navigated through the mountainous turns with much bumper-bumping, but held 3rd place with my blood pressure constantly rising every bump. I went around the turn right before the long straightaway about 3/4 through the level, and passed the Calibra holding 2nd place, and this brought me to 3rd again. Why? The Astra, while I was concentrating on getting 'round the Calibra, came to the right of the Calibra while I was on the left and slipped right past both of the Calibra's and my eyes. It must have distracted the Calibra longer than it did me, because I slipped past him in another second or so. The rest of the lap was uneventful, but as I got to the short straightaway where the start line is the Calibra right behind swept past me like a cheetah. I was not surprised; he had been right on my tail the whole rest of the lap and I was just waiting for him to pass me. The whole of the next lap was mostly uneventful, except for the U-turn near the end of the level where I did a little inside-out pass on the 2nd place Calibra, got ahead, and then he bumped me on the next turn to say that he was taking 2nd place. Unfortunatley, he was right. The next lap, and final, I held 3rd place the whole lap. I had become the gap between the "good" and the "bad". I was probably more towards the "bad" side, but finished a respectable 3rd place and got a stumpy trophy. I was not overjoyed. Sorry guys, I forgot to jot down my time!

Again, I neglected to qualify for the 3-lapper at Midfield, but with my experience with this track (I always test my new cars here), I thought I had a decent chance of winning. Again, at the first turn, I battled my way into 3rd place again. This was becoming too familiar to me. I was shunned into 4th after the small chicane (if that's what you'd call it) after the first turn. I rammed my way into 2nd place at the next S-turn, and got into an amazing 1st place at the hairpin. I was quickly put back into 4th by a mob of 3 Calibras. They gained about .2 seconds at the straightaway, but I pushed my way into 2nd place again at the first turn of the lap. The chicane held no important events, but the S-turn allowed me to snag 1st place from the leading Calibra. I was very happy. I managed to race my brain away and had a .482 second lead at the start line of the last lap. The next lap I managed (some way in which I do not know) to execute all of the turns almost perfectly for the rest of the lap, and came out with a beautiful 1st place as my reward. With a nice pointy, shiny trophy I was satisfied. And I didn't forget this time. My final time was 3'41.470, while the 2nd placed Calibra managed a 3'41.778.

I only did the first two races to start with so I'd remember them better. I'll do the last two in a little while, and have the post up later. Thanks for reading, and feedback would be appreciated. Thanks again! :P

I'm back again! I just completed the third race of the series. I think I'll stick to 1 race steps so I can remember them better. I know it is pretty sad, but I just can't seem to remember stuff that well 5 minutes after I do it. Ah well. Here's what happened in Deep Forest Raceway.

I tried to qualify this time, desperate for a good start. I did not get one, however, because I was a good 3 seconds behind the leader the first 2 tries and knew they were only going to get better and I wasn't going anywhere! So I quit and decided to take my 6th pole position as optimistically as I could. I easily passed the, once again, lagging Calibra at the back of the pack and the Astra, on the first turn of the race. I quickly skipped into second because apparently I had a fast exit speed and sped past another 2 Calibras. Only the "dreaded" CLK remained for me to pass. The 4 cars I had under my belt at that moment were to stay there for the entire race. The 2 curvy sections in the "middle" of the track were my weak points. I was lagging behind the CLK, but the other cars seemed to keep their distance from me. All that happened was the CLK got about 1 second in front of me, and I vowed to correct this. And I did soon enough. As I was going into the last turn into the straightaway, a startling thing happened. The CLK spun out dramatically, and I took the lead. What was unfortunate (for me, anyway) was that the CLK was bumped by the now 3rd place Astra and gave it a speed boost until at the start line it was only .827 seconds behind me. Though this was my biggest lead in the entire series, I expected more from a complete spin-out. The next lap, I remained in 1st place even though I messed up on the turn before the straightaway without the starting line on it. I accidentally scraped the wall, losing me valuable speed, and the CLK was rubbing bumpers with me up until the next turn, which I sped away from him with early breaking and easily beating his exit speed. The third lap, I did the exact same thing on the exact same turn again, but this time the CLK got ahead of me by .211 seconds. I was a nervous wreck, because I needed this race to win the series. Luckily, I sped through the next 2 corners thanks to late breaking, and passed him on the final straight with .106 seconds to spare. I really wish it had been more though. My final race time was 3'58.476, while the CLK was 3'58.582.

The next 2 races are coming! :D

Well, the next track was Laguna Seca. One of the tracks that I don't take too kindly to. And this made it even worse.

The reason I hate this track is because of there is dirt all around the track, so if you screw up, you're pretty much dead if you're running a close race. I skipped qualifying knowing I wouldn't stand a chance in doing it, but that didn't matter. I galantly battled my way into a whopping 1st place on the hairpin!! I was so excited! I really couldn't believe what I had done, but then I remember on the next lap. Nothing else happened that first lap, except that on time marker 3 after the corkscrew, I was amazingly 1.287 seconds ahead of everyone else! The next lap, however, was to bring disaster. The dreaded CLK was the one in 2nd place, and caught up with me on the straightaway. At the starting line, he was only .411 seconds behind me. As we went into the first turn, I knew I had messed up when I accidentally locked-up all of my wheels with the brakes. I tried to correct it, but it happened not to do anything but make it so that I didn't go off the track. That would have been horrible. But, I was a good 1 second behind the CLK and I knew I wasn't going to catch up with him, so I concentrated on staying ahead of the 4 cars behind me. I did this with ease finishing that lap up, but their second wind was kicking in and I was ready. I used my early-braking fast-exit strategy, and I worked on getting me 1.291 seconds behind the CLK on time marker 3. It sounded familiar to me, and sure enough it was. I was almost exactly how far I was ahead of him on that enjoyable 1st lap. He had come for revenge. And he got it... Fair and square, I can't deny it. However, I still have a chance, because the Astra had a 3 more points than the CLK, and I was already 11 points ahead of him anyway. The last race is coming up! I did finish second in that race, obviously, and my time was 4'26.129 and the CLK's was 4'21.883. He gained a lot of time from that last corner, because I messed up on that one too. :embarrassed: Oh well, it happens...

Good write ups. I've always enjoyed this series, even though it is short if you have a car similar to theirs you can have some really close racing. Good work!

All right guys, sorry, but I'm really mad now. My Internet messed up twice, right as I was done typing the run-down for TR246 and the re-did version of it because my Internet died a second time. I'm just going to give you a brief run-down of what happened because I don't want to type it all out for a third time.

I won 3rd unfortunately but that still led me to win the series with 1 point! The CLK totally dominated boasting a 5'05.957 time, and the Calibra followed at 5'20.149. I followed at 5'22.839. I got the RUF 3400 which is not what I wanted, so whatever. I don't care. Sorry this was so short, but I really didn't want to do that again! Thanks guys! You really inspire me to do things that I wouldn't have done before (i.e. - hard races! :lol: ). Thanks for reading!

For a real challenge...(maybe not) go to the Polyphony Digital Cup in Proffesional...And use a fairly bad car. Also if you feel like it press edit and make your last race write up more substantial.

Great writeups, especially for your first ones, jamxx! A great feel for the racing action, and it was nice tight action, too. I'd rather fight for second place than guarantee a win and spend the race sightseeing around way out in front.

After I got 100% I've been going back and collecting a few cars I need, so I just ran this series not too long ago. It was tons of fun because the field is very equal, and they tend to run in a nice tight pack. which meeans lots of passing. I used a Clio racecar (Turbo 1 upgrade but otherwise stock), which out handled the DTC cars but was way down on top speed.

One trick I've used in situations like that is to qualify on T8 tires to get the best grid position I can, then switched down to harder tires before starting the actual race. You can do that with power upgrades, too. But often I like to fight my way up from the back if the cars are pretty equivalent in lap times.

For my writeups, I usually pause the game right after I finish the race, and note down my fastest lap, total time, and margin over second place (or behind first...). Then I watch the replay if I need to remember specific events like spins or passes. I don't bother with that on longer races though.

Excellent work in driving and in documenting!

Thanks guys. I am going to finish my write-up on the last course later on today, because right now I'm at school and I don't have my times or PS2 with me (obviously) so I'll get it up later today.

Okay... Here's my write-up on the last race, Tokyo R246. I hope you all enjoy.

I did not win this race, and I'll tell you that from the start. This race was extremely difficult to me because the cars were faster than I was and my car just couldn't quite keep up with theirs. And since this track has a lot of straightaways on it, I just could not keep up. I didn't bother qualifying because I knew I wouldn't get close to their times, so I didn't waste my time. I started out getting in third at the first turn, leaving the Astra and two Calibras under my belt. A remaining Calibra and the CLK remained ahead of me. Near the end of the first lap the Astra overtook me, but I resentfully condescended to the point of cutting him off on the hairpin turn. For some reason, after a few seconds, he was a good 3 inches behind everyone else on the straightaway (when I say that, I mean from the 5th place Calibra)! I think he might've gotten stuck... I didn't mean to do that!!! And then I noticed another dramatic time. The CLK was a good 14 seconds ahead of me by the end of the second lap, and the Calibra was slipping inch by inch ahead of me. It was obvious that I had lost... :( But it happens. Nothing really happened big to me in this race because I just tried to stay ahead of the 3 cars behind me, which I did with ease. And that's the end! I hope you all enjoyed this!

Ah yes, times. I'll start with the 1st place and go down until me.
-CLK - 5'05.957
-Calibra - 5'20.149
-Me - 5'22.839

I ended up with a RUF 3400, which was the car I leastly needed, which is sad. Ah well, it got me 19,000 bucks, so I'm not complaining. See you all around!

Excellent write-up Jamxx... I really enjoyed this! Nice to have someone report tight races that you don't always win cause you didn't take a gun to a knife fight. GT3 is most fun that way for me!!

phattboy

Back