Tourist Trophy PS3... chances?

• Thread starter Roosta
  • 26 comments
Hi all (my first post here). Long time reading but first time participating :) .
I'm enjoying TT quite more than I did with the GT series, but I have no idea how well or bad the game has sold. I would love to see TT2 on the PS3 or at least as part of GT5. The GTHD video on E3 showed some bikes but I haven't heard anything since. Does anybody know anything about Polyphony and their plans for TT?

I bet they will have everything in just one package. I remember that E3 video where they showed bikes with cars on the track at the SAME TIME! Thats just crazy! I just cant wait for this game. I think since blu ray has so much space it would be a good thing on PD's part to colabrate TT and GT together on just one disc.

I bet they will have everything in just one package. I remember that E3 video where they showed bikes with cars on the track at the SAME TIME! Thats just crazy! I just cant wait for this game. I think since blu ray has so much space it would be a good thing on PD's part to colabrate TT and GT together on just one disc.
Agreed. GT5 will probably have TT2 built-in.

Bah, I hope they're not together. They're different games, they'd have to be seperate. It was said once here before that no sanctioned race series has ever permitted bikes and cars to race at the same time on the same track, so for the Real Driving Simulator it wouldn't make much sense either. Combine that with the different/modified tracks in TT and the different controls and license testing in TT and you have two different games.

Personally, I have no desire to race bikes vs. cars. I'd like to see 25 bikes on a grid, but only if they have qualifying.

Hi all (my first post here) I would love to see TT2 on the PS3 or at least as part of GT5. The GTHD video on E3 showed some bikes but I haven't heard anything since.
The E3 presentation certainly appeared to hint that the current PS2 based bike models might be available for download in HD Classic. I'd wager that the bikes will at some point be offered for sale through the PS store download service. This doesn't necessarily mean that bikes and cars will share track time, though it would arguably be a missed opportunity for online testing and a waste off TT assets if the bikes fail to show. I think that a game in which we select our vehicles online will perhaps broaden bike appeal, as many car folk would be reluctant to purchase a stand-alone two wheeled title.

attachment.php

Bah, I hope they're not together. They're different games, they'd have to be seperate. It was said once here before that no sanctioned race series has ever permitted bikes and cars to race at the same time on the same track, so for the Real Driving Simulator it wouldn't make much sense either. Combine that with the different/modified tracks in TT and the different controls and license testing in TT and you have two different games.

Personally, I have no desire to race bikes vs. cars. I'd like to see 25 bikes on a grid, but only if they have qualifying.

Well I dont want to sound like an a$$ or argue or be techinal with you but you said it is a "DRIVING SIMULATOR", also this is said on the box cover for GT. So you are wondering what am I trying to say? GT is a driving sim not a RACING sim so therefore it doesnt have to follow real life rules or race regulations correct? Which also leads to if PD wants to have bikes race against a FERRARI (Sorry for the caps on that, I am just excited about FERRARI!!!:) ) then they should be allowed to.
Now if it were a racing sim then it would be kinda odd having bikes race agaisnt cars, since it has never been allowed to before as you said.

As far as I am concerened why not have bikes race against cars? It would just add to the fun part of the game. I mean me driving a Honda CBR or a Dodge Tomohawk, against you or anyone else for that matter in a NSX, S2000, an Evo, Skyline, or a F1! I personally would love it.

*EDIT*
Forgot to add something. I remember seeing a few in car videos of a Elise or something on the "ring" and it over took a bike, so it is permitted in a regular trackday and it has happened before, BUT just not in a REAL race as you say.

Sure it's a "driving" sim, but more accurately it's a racing sim that allows you to use street cars, including some pretty lousy street cars.

I don't disagree that some track days will let you run what your brung [sic], almost every 'Ring vid I've seen includes bikes and cars, but as you agree these aren't sanctioned races. I guess I should add road-racing, since the Dakar and Baja rallies permit bikes and cars, but truth be told bikes aren't going to be competitive vs. race cars.

Compare the following times Suzuka 8h bikes at Suzuka are around 2:08, the lap record for F1 is like 1:32 or so.

Or even Shanghai
Fastest Lap Ever: 1:59.009 motoGP
compare to F1 time of 1:32 again
Even V8 Supercars are running 1:49s

i'd like to see them both on the track at once, but if they weren't, if they released a TT2 seperately i'd still buy it.
the idea of squeezing past an R6 in a CSL or something around the twisty stuff at the back of the ring is going to keep me awake tonight, but thats just me :)

I really think they would be missing out if they did not bring it out on PS3, seeing as how it is still in the top 30 chart in Game in the UK.

We don't deserve a sequel.

Between this board and the others I'm on, I estimate the total number of people both actively playing this game and participating in the community is somewhere around two dozen. Only. Even the time trial threads on this forum are dead. If this represents a sample of the larger picture, then TT is decidely a failure.

Why are things this way? I reckon the game is too difficult for most people.

Uncreated

We don't deserve a sequel.

Between this board and the others I'm on, I estimate the total number of people both actively playing this game and participating in the community is somewhere around two dozen. Only. Even the time trial threads on this forum are dead. If this represents a sample of the larger picture, then TT is decidely a failure.

Why are things this way? I reckon the game is too difficult for most people.

Uncreated

The game is definitely NOT too difficult. It's too short. I finished it in about 10% of the time it took for GT4, not even counting Mission 34! The license tests are easy, the races are pathetic, the challenges are easy (but the concept is cool!) and it's almost impossible to have a competitive race in the game. Riding around on an empty track just gets old after a while.

This game has all the marks of a trial effort by PD. Only one track we haven't seen before, relatively few bikes, and so on. I would be astonished if it didn't lead to something on the PS3, whether it remains a separate game or is combined with GT is irrelevant to me, as long as they build on it and do a bit more in the next version.

The game is definitely NOT too difficult. It's too short.

The game is as long as you make it.

I've had the game since May and I'm only 30% done, mostly because I've been creating and recreating my own degree of difficulty on the Nurburgring. Just so happens I too find the challenges pathetic and the license tests marginally less so. When I need that challenge, I look to my peers to spur me on with increasingly faster times on their tracks of choice. That's when I step in and smoke 'em with progressively faster times, vice versa. This game is a hotlappers wet dream.

When I say the game is too difficult, I base that on the number of players avoiding pro mode in favour of the less-taxing semi, or worse, arcade mode. Not that it matters, but it would be nice seeing more replays of people's pro mode art. Pro mode players are certainly the minorty.

Uncreated

I like tt as much as gt4, i dont play it as often because i'm in a driving mood more often than a riding mood. i think the challenges and licences in tt are too easy, but as you said its "a hotlappers wet dream", surely there are enough of them around to make it profitable.
also i think the riding in tt is more "technical" than gt4's driving. you have to pay more attention to braking distances, hitting apex's and everything else that makes a good lap. not that you dont have to do this in gt4 but it seems more important with the bikes.

The game is as long as you make it.

I've had the game since May and I'm only 30% done, mostly because I've been creating and recreating my own degree of difficulty on the Nurburgring. Just so happens I too find the challenges pathetic and the license tests marginally less so. When I need that challenge, I look to my peers to spur me on with increasingly faster times on their tracks of choice. That's when I step in and smoke 'em with progressively faster times, vice versa. This game is a hotlappers wet dream.

When I say the game is too difficult, I base that on the number of players avoiding pro mode in favour of the less-taxing semi, or worse, arcade mode. Not that it matters, but it would be nice seeing more replays of people's pro mode art. Pro mode players are certainly the minorty.

Uncreated

You can't get a competitive computer opponent, which can easily be done in GT4. That's what I mean by too easy. As for swapping hot laps, it's VERY challenging to ride as quickly as the fastest guys out there. I tried a few weeks of the TT WRS until I carpal-tunneled myself to death, and getting those last tenths was VERY difficult. It was the only reason I kept the game disc handy. But the game itself has nothing near that level of challenge.

After learning pro mode, the lesser modes were very frustrating, no power out of the turns especially, but my middle-aged wrists weren't up to all the digital gyrations.

As for swapping hot laps, it's VERY challenging to ride as quickly as the fastest guys out there... I carpal-tunneled myself to death, and getting those last tenths was VERY difficult.

Been there, but I'm a sucker for punishment, and an admirer of beautifully (near) perfect laps. That's what keeps me coming back. Net result is five as yet unbeaten runs Internet-wide (in pro mode anyway) -- Citta di Aria, Valencia, High-Speed Ring, Nurburgring and, I believe, Deep Forest. Just so happens, I was dusted on Beginner's Course by a damn skilled and very lucky European. The sheer number of hours I've burned chipping away at those five tracks alone would blow peoples' minds.

Uncreated

I think the game seemed much shorter then it should have been. If you had been playing the gt series for the past 6 years...how many times do you really want to go around trial mountain or grand valley? Don't get me wrong I loved the game and I am a bike nut, but in the end It really was just gt4 with bikes and a single new track. I still will buy a TT2 and I hope that It would have a bit more depth.

Come on guys...you should come to expect more from PD. I guess I am not into lap times that much. I want racing action! I would be much more rewarding to come from the back of the pack of 12 bikes then to set a new lap time that is a tenth faster then the last.

I'd like to say that the chances are pretty high. The X-factors were that only four bikes could competitively race, mostly GT4 tracks and technology were used, and no online play or serious damage. Minimalists still thought this was a great game by the racing giants at Polyphony Digital. I hate how people just think that PD is trying to kill of its own franchise. I think someone else on the team wanted to come up with a motorcycle racing game using GT's formula. I thought Touristy Trophy was a nice swing on the GT series. Maybe it wasn't a true GT game, but it's a new franchise that I want PD to expand upon and make better. Polyphony Digital needs to make the most of all the different kinds of bikes and races to make it shine. I'm probably predicting 100% that we won't see four to a track. I'm probably predicting we could see about 12, 24, 30, maybe even 50 bikes to a track. I still say that 24 is always a good number of vehicles to acheive for any racing game. I'm giving PD this chance. I don't really think Tourist Trophy was missed opportunity. If a second Tourist Trophy is created (I'm predicting 80+ % this happens), PD will need to make Tourist Trophy better, faster, more diverse, more competition, more races, maybe even new styles of racing. Motocross and supermoto would make racing motards more interesting and actually be able to compete in rally-type events. Imagine a motard race around Citta di Aria or Costa di Amalfi. Maybe not with a lot of bikes on the road, but with a rally-style format.

This hypothetical "Tourist Trophy 2" would be a HUGE improvement as both automobile and motorcycle fans have a game to be proud of. Tourist Trophy's rival would probably be Namco's MotoGP series (which I highly respect). So they need to offer a great package to keep the formula fresh. I'm predicting...

(1.) ...80% or more that we will see a Tourist Trophy sequel.
(2.) ...50% it will be on the PS3
(3.) ...75% that it will expand upon TT classic and make it better with more races and tracks

So be optomistic. Only way we'll know for sure will depend on what PD wants to do with all of this.

I agree that it was a good start. It had the same excitment that turns people on to GT in that you could actually Drive or in this case ride the bike that you own.
It's kinda weird to say it but I'm wondering if PD actually rushed TT out the door. They had to get that game on the shelf before the ps2 had lost its luster. TT was the last ps2 game that I will buy. Maybe without the ps3 we would have had a longer play time.

Bikes are faster up to a point. Then it becomes a g-force issue. An F1 car for instance can go much faster around a corner because it has more rubber meeting the road. Motorcycle tires just don't have the contact patch to handle the lateral force.

Bikes are faster up to a point. Then it becomes a g-force issue. An F1 car for instance can go much faster around a corner because it has more rubber meeting the road. Motorcycle tires just don't have the contact patch to handle the lateral force.

Not to mention the aerodynamic downforce not available to bikes.

Braking distances on bikes are WAY-Y-Y-Y-Y longer, and cornering speeds much lower. The MotoGP pole lap this year at Laguna Seca was 17 seconds off of Zonta's Toyota F1 blast during the Monterey Historics weekend, about 23% longer lap time. The ALMS pole last weekend was still nearly 10 seconds faster than MotoGP's pole. The Aston Martin in GT1 was over 2 seconds faster than MotoGP. The GT2 Ferrari pole was only about a quarter second slower than MotoGP's pole.

but lucky for us you can buy a 11k bike and get the performence a 200k car for the street

Back