https://www.carscoops.com/2018/11/new-2020-toyota-corolla-sedan-sharpened/
  • Multi-link rear suspension
  • Base model gets current 1.8L CVT combo
  • SE & XSE get the hatch's 2.0L
  • XSE CVT only / SE 6MT option with rev matching
b618154d-2020-toyota-corolla-sedan-us-spec-19.jpg

6f5a5ca4-2020-toyota-corolla-sedan-us-spec-17.jpg

fdf4b543-2020-toyota-corolla-13.jpg

Not a fan of the front, per usual with Toyota right now. I do like the rest of the exterior though. The interior is quite boring.

I can tell it's on the same chassis which probably means the steering wheel is 6 inches too far away from my body to be comfortable. I don't have 4 foot long arms, jesus Toyota.

Front looks like it's a bit late to introduce the copied Audi/Lancer grille. Taillights are giving off a Ford-type lights vibe. Good this is, it doesn't look like ye 'ol bland Corolla. Bad thing is, it doesn't look like a Corolla.

Good this is, it doesn't look like ye 'ol bland Corolla. Bad thing is, it doesn't look like a Corolla.

That's got me thinking - What's going to be the go-to model when we want to describe a boring car? The "Toyota Corolla" doesn't fit the bill anymore. :confused:

That's Toyota's best front end in years. That they lowered all the beltlines and made the pillars much thinner certainly makes me hope other designers will also stop making rolling gun emplacements if Toyota can do it with a compact car and (presumably) still have it be "safe" in the modern parlance.

Last edited:
Toyota is not as good as the use to be. They don't make Any intresting sport cars the new supra is BMW z4 with a Toyota badge. They are Also being dicks with pulling out from video games. Becouse they think that their cars being in video games will lower their sales in real life so dumb. Honda and Nissan make far more intresting cars now days

So is Toyota crap because their cars are kind of lame (which is not a new charge by any means; and while this Corolla almost certainly won't be a class leader in any enjoyability metric they are certainly trying harder with the nameplate than they have at any point since the 1980s) or is Toyota crap because you want to drive the new Supra in Forza and won't be able to (which is what I suspect the actual thrust of your post)?

Because in this segment of the market what Nissan makes is even more hopeless than the outgoing Corolla.

They don't make Any intresting sport cars the new supra is BMW z4 with a Toyota badge.
The main reason why Toyota doesn't have sports cars aside from the Supra and 86 is due to moving their performance cars under Lexus. If you want a performance aimed Toyota now, you have to buy Lexus.

Because in this segment of the market what Nissan makes is even more hopeless than the outgoing Corolla.
I'm still peeved about the Sentra Nismo. :grumpy:

In case you missed it, this is what the European variant of the 4-Door Corolla looks like: (Kinda like putting an Avensis in a shrink ray)
corolla_high_front_34_v07_rgb_lr_1.jpg

corolla_rear_34_v05_rgb_lr_1.jpg

The reason I bought an Elantra Sport. ;)
I knowwww! :P
---

Also, since I'm here; I guess I'll give my thoughts on the front. That front end gives me a Kia vibe, but with a hint of late 2000s Toyota Matrix. It's less boring the previous Corolla though, I'll give them that.

I'm actually more impressed with this the more I see it. This doesn't look like a car from this decade, which I mean in the sense that it looks like more of a 90s design modernized. From the size of the greenhouse in proportion to the body, the thinness and simplicity of the pillars, the overall stance (with its mild rake along the entire body, but without the trunk lid being several inches higher than base of the windshield like most cars that have done similar recently to cheat the effect, like the Focus sedan) and the curves that extend naturally from the existing body lines to the wheel wells to give it a more aggressive stance (compared to the hopelessly slab sided cars in the segment for the past decade or so, where if they weren't completely flat along the sides they had what looked all the world like tacked on fender extensions molded into the body panel, like the outgoing Corolla). I also can't think of a car in the segment in quite a while that had so little visual "dead space" above the rear wheels.

I think the main concession to modern style design language is the short horizontal portion of the trunk (but compared to the most of the other "sedans" that look like 5 doors but without the hatch portion, like the Civic, it's still obviously a trunk) and the hard edged and straight character line going down the side. Even the headlights aren't that fussy in detail. Otherwise I see a lot of the styling ideas that were in, say, the DB7 Integra? Or maybe a mix of ideas from the DB7 Integra and the EK sedan. I think it's the best looking in the segment compared to the others available in sedan form, at the very least.

Toyota is not as good as the use to be

Not as good in what way? Quality of their product? Reliability? Affordability? Performance?
Guessing it's the latter, but you'd certainly need to be a little more specific about that rather than to make a general claim. Depending on what you're refering to, I'd certainly agree, in some ways I strongly disagree.

They don't make Any intresting sport cars

The GT86 isn't an interesting sports car? Besides the MX-5/Miata, there isn't a single car with a similar layout and engagement in terms of pure driving performance. I certainly think it's a hell of a car.
Now again, it depends on your definition of "interesting" or "fun"

the new supra is BMW z4 with a Toyota badge

Badge engineering is a fantastic way in order to produce a car at less costs, while still broadening their own portfolio. I'm going out on a limb here, but I feel like that BMW knows a thing or two about building a proper and enganging sports car, while offering a very good engine platform, that also happens to be somewhat true to the original JZ's. And given the first impressions of the Z4/5 in terms of it's driving performance, we're in for a treat in terms of a GT... which a Supra ultimately is.

I personally don't get the argument, that BMW, working together with Toyota, and Toyota utilizing it to bring back an iconic name, is a bad thing. But maybe you could give some insight into it.

Becouse they think that their cars being in video games will lower their sales

Do you have a source for that? I'd love to read about that.

In case you missed it, this is what the European variant of the 4-Door Corolla looks like: (Kinda like putting an Avensis in a shrink ray)
corolla_high_front_34_v07_rgb_lr_1.jpg

corolla_rear_34_v05_rgb_lr_1.jpg

Do I dare say this actually looks genuinely fantastic, even for a Corolla?

Being on the road every day in Belgium, Toyota has kind of fallen out of flavour in the last years. The C-HR seems to have been a gigantic success so far, they're really popping up everywhere. This looks great, though. The front seems like a mix of a Lexus nose, and the headlights of the VW Arteon. The rear has me thinking of the Insignia, which looks rather nice.

I think it looks great. Considering this will compete with the new Focus, I think this looks better.

Reckon this has the styling edge over the USDM version. Quite handsome. The hybrid version is sure to do well too if the proportion of Yaris and Auris hybrids Toyota has sold over here are anything to go by.

It's enough to make you wonder who would now buy a Prius, and I say that as someone who has driven and quite likes the current Prius.

Thank you very much for that, but I really don't see a correlation between his statement and Toyota actually pulling cars from video games. Do they actually pull cars from games now?

The way I interpret his statement really is just to try to find a reason as to why young people are not interested into cars and generally don't see cars the way we/they used to and attribute that to racing games/simulators. This seems to me to be a quite far fetched and rather... shallow way of looking at it? People are not interested in cars anymore, simply and especially for people who live in the city, because of the overall congestions due to the masses of traffic and because most larger cities actually have a somewhat functioning public transport system, that is far more affordable and generally not too much of a hassle to use. And actually going so far as to pull cars from video games, because people "get the same experience as if they're driving the car in real life" just, again, seems like quite a stretch.

I could certainly understand the standpoint of him saying, that due to the current line-up, it isn't really up "standards" and it represents Toyota in a wrong way, but if that would really be the reason, then.... :indiff:

Reckon this has the styling edge over the USDM version. Quite handsome. The hybrid version is sure to do well too if the proportion of Yaris and Auris hybrids Toyota has sold over here are anything to go by.

It's enough to make you wonder who would now buy a Prius, and I say that as someone who has driven and quite likes the current Prius.
I spoke with a taxi driver a while back who told me he was on his third Toyota hybrid. The first was a Prius, but they got expensive and so he went to buying Auris hybrid estates instead, which give the same sort of economy and reliability, a bigger boot, and a lower price. For a while the Prius was a common taxi around here for those wanting something more suited to city use than a diesel Octavia but it's quickly been phased out in favour of the cheaper Auris hybrid.

Thank you very much for that, but I really don't see a correlation between his statement and Toyota actually pulling cars from video games. Do they actually pull cars from games now?
Production vehicles have not been present in the most recent iterations of Forza or Need for Speed, which is odd to say the least as they've been available in almost every single one to date, for Forza at least. GTS seems to be a major one still getting a good chunk of Toyota line-up, though. Almost exclusively to be honest. Project cars has only one, the GT86.

Although, that article was a good while ago, and this only started happening within the past year or so, so it's all a bit weird really. I would imagine the recent doings might be down to some sort of exclusivity licensing, in my opinion.

That Hybrid front clip looks good. Honda did the same with the 4-door Civic Hybrid. Gave it the nice aero bits over the standard car. Looks good

Toyota is not as good as the use to be. They don't make Any intresting sport cars the new supra is BMW z4 with a Toyota badge. They are Also being dicks with pulling out from video games. Becouse they think that their cars being in video games will lower their sales in real life so dumb. Honda and Nissan make far more intresting cars now days
We get it, you wish it was the 90s again

We get it, you wish it was the 90s again
Not just that. Toyota can stop being dicks. They where fine in 90s early and mid 2000-2010. And from nowhere they decide that people can't drive their cars in games anymore. Thats becouse they don't make Any intresting cars anymore. That why the remove their cars in games. Becouse then they think you want buy their new cars in real life

Not as good in what way? Quality of their product? Reliability? Affordability? Performance?
Guessing it's the latter, but you'd certainly need to be a little more specific about that rather than to make a general claim. Depending on what you're refering to, I'd certainly agree, in some ways I strongly disagree.

The GT86 isn't an interesting sports car? Besides the MX-5/Miata, there isn't a single car with a similar layout and engagement in terms of pure driving performance. I certainly think it's a hell of a car.
Now again, it depends on your definition of "interesting" or "fun"

Badge engineering is a fantastic way in order to produce a car at less costs, while still broadening their own portfolio. I'm going out on a limb here, but I feel like that BMW knows a thing or two about building a proper and enganging sports car, while offering a very good engine platform, that also happens to be somewhat true to the original JZ's. And given the first impressions of the Z4/5 in terms of it's driving performance, we're in for a treat in terms of a GT... which a Supra ultimately is.

I personally don't get the argument, that BMW, working together with Toyota, and Toyota utilizing it to bring back an iconic name, is a bad thing. But maybe you could give some insight into it.

Do you have a source for that? I'd love to read about that.

They could just create their own like Nissan has Done for gtr. And Honda/acura did for nsx. Both Much faster and better looking than the new supra. The old supra was Nice. The new one not So much. At least Nissan gtr is good replacement. As for they are pulling from games becouse they think that their cars being games lower their sales its true, its all over internet. And its old news by now. Mayby even Mitsubishi has gone down the same road but i don't know yet

Last edited by a moderator:
Idk...while it's an improvement on the outgoing car, I'm not seeing anything particularly nice about the new car. It looks ok, but still suffers from the 'inflated' look all of the sedans in this segment suffer from. I also think the front end is way, way too aggro, busy, and just disproportionately heavy looking. The rear is actually pretty nice and reserved in comparison. The interior is on the bland side of minimal, IMO. I think the Kia Forte is probably the best looking at the moment.

Back