Toyota Gazoo Racing GT Cup 2022 Schedule is Announced for Gran Turismo 7

• Thread starter Famine
  • 217 comments
I can see this race being chaos, I am 2.5s off the top leaderboard time at 1:51.1 and feel like I'm hanging on for dear life to do it. Add in other drivers and network lag and it sounds like a recipe for disaster. You have to push very hard to get a decent time.

I came to GTS last summer after playing F1 ‘21, after the 4000th time losing my wheels to a brake-check.

despite the likely chaos, I’m looking forward to this one… It’ll be a nice change to race these cars without the threat of having the car completely destroyed

I am not very good at the super formula cars, add that with this is my 1st wheel i have ever used and i am still not quite good as i was with controller in 3 days since i bought it, so im expecting a very rough last place for me..until i can get better with this wheel at least

Well that ended up going pretty well.

Pace was middling in both qualy and race, putting me on P10 at race start. Obligatory chaos on the first lap got me, and many others, a 5 second penalty for having nowhere to go in the middle of the action. At least that spaced people out going into lap 2 and once things had settled I found myself back in 10th and gaining quickly on a German in front. Got right behind him coming out of Eau Rouge and passed on the straight but he kept his nose on the inside going into Las Combes. Wary that he wasn't going to back out regardless what happened I decided to ease off and let him through. We battled a bit going down to Puohon but I went too deep into the quick left hander and had to brake more to get round, giving him some space.

It brought in a frenchman and a brit behind me and as I went a bit wide going into Campus the frenchman squeezed through and made sure I didn't have any room to return to the track. Dropping me into 11th.

Not sure what happened to the brit as he was in my mirrors at that point and then completely vanished when I next looked, but the frenchman made a mistake at Pouhon on the following lap and I was able to get right behind him and pass going into Savelot, giving him a taste of his own tricks and making sure to squeeze him off as wide as possible. Easy enough to pull away from and then it was back to catching the German from earlier.

It took basically the remainder of the race but I did manage to catch him again on Lap 7 and overtook on the Kemmel straight, this time sticking it firmly inside for Las Combes and giving him no look at an overtake. He did try on the outside, I figured he might, but he wasn't right up on on me and couldn't make anything happen.

Thinking okay well all that for a well deserved if underwhelming 9th place and everything went kind of wild at that point. I'm assuming people started trying some silly moves for final places as coming through Pouhon there were cars way off the track and a couple of penalties being served at Blanchimont - Lap 8 was the same with battles up ahead and I snuck another place or two to get a very cheeky 5th and I'll take that home with me, thank you very much.

Lots of fun at Spa, silly racing but good times.

FS0Pza7WQAM23Pg.jpg
Toyota special livery by @kanbara0923

Really fun (albeit chaotic) race actually. I'm awful in anything faster than a Gr2 so I did bad in quali, starting 12th with a 52.3 (matching my practice time, at least).

Found in the race that the car handles completely different with a full tank and was much more up my alley, so managed to pull it back to a comfortable 6th - would've been 5th but I sniffed the grass at the bus stop chicane whilst braking near the end and the car did a ballerina performance in response, very impressive, but not what I was going for.

Qualified P8 sneaked up into 3rd after T1 carnage and got yeeted off somewhere further around the track rejoined in last and fought my way back to finish 9th, sweating by the end.

FFS, in my first race didn't even know I had overtake/turbo button, I hate this game sometimes.

Qualified 4th with 53.0 in my second one, finished 6th, I settled with that. Mayhem in first few laps, 4s penalty for literally trying to overtake guy in bus chicane. I know when I'm at fault, this was not such case, I went pass him without contact, when I was half body in front, he did something from side/behind and that was that.

All in all, extremely satisfying driving this car around after all the wrestling you need to do with Gr.3 and 4.

That was an interesting race last night, in practice I knocked out a low 52 but couldn't get near in qualifying, so started 12th...got a bad start and was dead last coming out of La Source, just trying to keep out of trouble I had to lift coming through eau rouge, watched everyone miss their braking at the end of Kemmel.
Picked up 4 positions with people getting penalties on lap 1, then just put my head down and drove my race, with enough people falling off the track during the race I ended up 4th and best of the B rank drivers, and 147 points, this probably going to be my highest haul of the series

They should have used 24h layout with rolling start... The first corner was carnage in all three of my races (I'm A+ btw, so mostly no intentional ramming. Just utter chaos)
The game just can't handle these fast cars with the ghosting system.

I had streamed the first two races here: (Sorry but commentary is German)

In the first race, I started P12. When we came into turn 1 (around 31:55), there were some collisions in front, causing one car to stop completely. I crashed into him, only for him to ghost milliseconds after. Got a 4 second penalty for that, although I couldn't have done anything.
Then in the chicane after the Kemmel straight, I rammed someone out (at first I thought he didn't want to accelerate, but he couldn't due to a different car which I clearly misjudged). I should have gotten a 5 second penalty for that alone, but did not get anything extra.
Then there were some cars lagging badly on the straights. I messed up the race anyway and finished back in P13.

Second race was a bit better, starting in P7, not making as many mistakes and finishing P8. Race 3 was similar.

I really hope that PD improves the penalty and ghosting system before the Super Formula's appear again...

Last edited:
This was actually my GT7 Sport mode debut. Haven't done dailies, been putting in more time into ACC PC, and I didn't participate in the test seasons, the busy test season schedules of racing everyday is not really possible for me due to work commitments. However, Super Formula at Spa seemed fun, so decided to jump in. Just a few laps of time trial practice beforehand, first time driving the SF in GT7. Got down to low 51s in practice.

CSA Slot 1, 285-point lobby (3rd split? Not sure...) Qualified P8 on a 51.4, 1 sec off pole. Had a pretty good start, but had to back off after being pushed a bit wide to avoid getting sandwiched between two cars, down to P10. Relatively clean start. Gained positions from drivers making contact, spinning and serving penalties, up to 5th.

I then had an unlucky situation. Braking into the Bus Stop, a Brazilian missed his braking point and hit me from behind. He bumped me into the Costa Rican guy ahead, who was pushed off the track. Game gave the Brazilian a 2s sec penalty, and gave me an undeserved 5 second penalty... :ouch:Nothing I could have done to avoid the collision, was just a chain-reaction crash. Penalty dropped me down to 9th.

From there, I had a pretty good race, swapping positions with a few guys as we ran out of overtake at different parts of the race. PD really need to fix the overtake feature... Was close to binning it at Pouhon a couple of times, but luckily was able to save it and gain a few places back from drivers who made mistakes.

P7 and 214 points at the end. Since I finished less than 5 sec behind P4, I think I could have been 4th and scored 250 points, but still, not bad for my GT7 debut, solid points scored. :) With the chances of running into issues in this combo, not going to risk going again tonight...

1652657826805.png

1652657940975.png

Last edited:
It was quite a bit to answer and get through to register so plan on giving yourself 15min before your slot so you can complete it and be ready for qualifying

Quite a bit of fun. Qualified last and finished 7th just by not screwing up. Somehow got 7 seconds of penalties just for being near people who screwed up but didn’t make a difference to my finishing spot.

1st race with wheel and got screwed over plenty with penalties whn i was on race line & people messed up then hit me, got knocked well into sand couple times, finished a garbage 12th because i could never recover from 1st couple laps

Raced
1st race with wheel and got screwed over plenty with penalties whn i was on race line & people messed up then hit me, got knocked well into sand couple times, finished a garbage 12th because i could never recover from 1st couple laps
2nd slot, made out with a 4th from 7th this round, not bad but still alot of shenanigans in 1st two laps

Mixed feelings about this round.

1st Slot EMEA. B/S Lobby. I never drove these cars in Gran Turismo, so I didn't know what to expect. I went for some laps in the 15 minutes between the subscription and the start of the session getting a good feeling of the car. Session starts and I manage to get out of the pit lane first with clean air ahead and a good gap with the cars behind. Got my time and I was Q6. Coming to the end of quali, I get behind a German guy on the last sector. He was 2 seconds slower than me. At the bus stop I was on his rear, so I lift to pass him on the straight. He goes to the common racing line and I stay close to the wall, to make my move at T1. He closed the line, but I was already ahead, so we touched with really no damage for both, as he was able to get the full slipstream down to the Eau Rouge and up on the Raidillon, getting very fast on the Kemmel straight. Note that there was time to complete the lap before the end of the time, so this and another try granted. Now, how stupid can people be? On the Kemmel I stayed on the line, as I said he was coming faster than me and I supposed that he would have done a clean overtake to bring that speed given by the slipstream over the entire lap. I mean, you are much slower that the pack, sitting in Q14 at that moment. Well he decided to ram me, taking me and him out of the track wasting both tries, because the time lost to get back on track was enough to leave us both with no chances to make it to the finish line before the checkered flag. I always thought that the smartest thing to do when there is a much faster car approaching was to let it pass and try to stick with it as long as possible. By the way, quali ends and I'm OK with Q6, but I started to guess that the race would be worse.
Race starts, I have a very good take off and manage to pass a couple of cars, got bumped at T1 as expected, bump on the car in front of me getting 2 secs penalty, and got hit again to spun, dropping dead last. I never quit so I continue my race trying to get as much as I can. As I get on the Kemmel, the wreckfest in front of me begins, with people shoving out each other mercilessly, so I was able to gain some positions, serving the penalty and starting the second lap in P10 or so. Again on the Kemmel, a guy from Monaco decides that I shall not pass, shoving me right on the straight getting both out of track. I recover quickly, but in P14. At puhon the Monaco guy was already 8 seconds behind. Great move, mate! I managed to get P8, then made a couple of mistakes, to the final P12. Without surprise, both the German from the quali and the Monaco guys from the race had quitted before the end. Great moves, mates!

2nd slot EMEA. B/S lobby. Quali without anything to report, I managed to get Q3 and was quite happy about it. Race starts and again I'm able to take off and get to T1 in P1. Got punted again but I managed to maintain control finding me at P6. No penalty for the punter (a French guy). I get out of the Eau Rouge very fast and on the Kemmel I made the craziest and more risky (maybe stupid) overtake I ever did. The two cars in front of me were side by side at the same pace, but I was much faster. I was about to lift (no space neither on the left or the right) when they separate each other the right amount to put a car in between. Without any doubt, I pushed the Overtake button and slip perfectly between the two. I was so surprised that it worked out that I forgot the Le Combes chicane at the end, realizing too late that I had to brake at a certain point. In that split second my instinct made the decision to not try to stay on track but instead to cut the chicane by half, knowing than a penalty would be more manageable than a crash. So I was expecting 3/4 seconds of penalty but to my surprise the game only gave me a 0.5 seconds. I mean, I got a position and gained at least a couple of seconds! Penalty system is a joke, as I often take 2.5 secs for a pixel in T1 at Monza, where you gain nothing. But ok, good for me. So at this point I was in P3, just behind the leaders. P2 was occupied by the French guy that punted me on T1. On lap 3, he spun by himself exiting T11 before Pouhon and I got P2. From this point the race was uneventful for me, with the leader way faster than me and the guy in P3 much slower (8 seconds to P1 and the same to P3 at the end), so I just managed to not make stupid mistakes to take a podium finish for 97 points.

As I said in the beginning, mixed feeling. These cars are very fun to drive, but racing with them in the pack can be a carnage...

Wow, what a rush! After getting rammed like crazy the first 2 races, I shut my PS5 off and was in such a ****** mood after practising this race for so long and only managing 8th.
At the last moment, I decided why not just go for it and qualified 8th again. I had an ok start and after the first hill was in 4th, and stayed there for a lap until one guy got a long penalty
180cab94e6181-screenshotUrl.jpg
, then I somehow caught the 2nd place guy after they made a mistake and tried to take first, but made contact and I got a 5 sec penalty. I thought I was done as I dropped back to 4th.
But after that, something just clicked and I had no problem taking it back and even beat my best lap time by a fair margin. :) (This was just a lower level B/B lobby)

Last edited:
This was race was up and down for me, 10pm final slot in NA. Went out for qualifying and had multiple issues getting a clean lap, finally got two laps in near the end to qualify P5, nowhere near my FP time of 1:51.3 but OK. Race starts and I gain a spot coming out of T1, P5 bump drafts me down the Kemmel straight, and i overshoot the braking zone into the bus stop since I'm going 10 mph faster than usual. I get back on track but make a few more errors due to the fuel load in the car and drop to P15. I shake it off by lap 2 and I'm making gains. I drive as hard as I can with no mistakes and recover for a P7 finish, OK but not great. Really fun to drive these cars here.

EMEA 1ST SLOT: I started in second position and finished 1st with a good gap after some crash/penalties in the first part of the race, very challenging first part more in control in the second part. After the race I was very happy of my 11 points.... but less tomorrow morning when I saw that are practically nothing.... How is it possible that I earned so few points? I started only recently to race online so my rating is low but I prepared this race very well and it's a little frustrating...
Do you know how the points system works?

EMEA 1ST SLOT: I started in second position and finished 1st with a good gap after some crash/penalties in the first part of the race, very challenging first part more in control in the second part. After the race I was very happy of my 11 points.... but less tomorrow morning when I saw that are practically nothing.... How is it possible that I earned so few points? I started only recently to race online so my rating is low but I prepared this race very well and it's a little frustrating...
It's based on your current level and the level of those you're racing against (which you don't mention here) you score points based on the level of the cars that you beat, given this is an E or D lobby? You won't receive many points for a win but it'll help put you on your way to the higher ranks.

At that kind of level I would just be looking to get my ranking up and gain online experience, I wouldn't worry too much about the points you're getting.

Yes.

Points are calculated as an average of the Driver Rating score of everyone in the lobby. The winner gets approximately 0.4% of the average lobby DR score in points - in all official GT esports events - and that constitutes just over 10% of the points available in the lobby (the winner gets about 10.5%, with each subsequent place getting roughly 0.5% less share).

That means that if everyone in the lobby is a 100,000pt A+ driver, the average is 100,000pt and the winner will get just over 400 points. If everyone in the lobby is D- or C-ranked and the average is 1,000pt, the winner will get four points.

I'd estimate then that you are a C-ranked driver and were in a lobby with other C-ranked drivers, as 11 points roughly corresponds to a 2,500pt lobby average.

Edit: Although PD has obscured DR points from GT7, so we can't say for sure, there is little reason to think it's particularly different from GTS.

Last edited:
Yes.

Points are calculated as an average of the Driver Rating score of everyone in the lobby. The winner gets approximately 0.4% of the average lobby DR score in points - in all official GT esports events - and that constitutes just over 10% of the points available in the lobby (the winner gets about 10.5%, with each subsequent place getting roughly 0.5% less share).

That means that if everyone in the lobby is a 100,000pt A+ driver, the average is 100,000pt and the winner will get just over 400 points. If everyone in the lobby is D- or C-ranked and the average is 1,000pt, the winner will get four points.

I'd estimate then that you are a C-ranked driver and were in a lobby with other C-ranked drivers, as 11 points roughly corresponds to a 2,500pt lobby average.
Thanks! So for the moment no chance for me for a good placement in the ladder...no problem..I will keep pushing for the taste of challenge :)

Thanks! So for the moment no chance for me for a good placement in the ladder...no problem..I will keep pushing for the taste of challenge :)
Just keep racing & winning or gaining places and you will come up the DR ladder, thats how i did it and i made it to B rating from D finally but a bad lobby last night knocked me back to C for a couple races, use the sport mode as practice & if you dont win, dont let it discourge you, keep going, and dont quit races no matter how bad you are doing

Back