Toyota Gazoo Racing GT Cup 2022 Schedule is Announced for Gran Turismo 7

• Thread starter Famine
  • 217 comments
Here is my race video from last night's race in Toyota Cup. I finished 6th but in first lap chaos was amazing :)

Last edited:
I went for the third slot unhappy with my 9th place 29pt haul. I shouldn’t have, it went like this, qualified P4, grabbed P1 on the kemmel straight first lap and held it all the way round to balnchimont where I over rotated the rear end of the car and watched the entire field pass me as I desperately tried to rejoin. I was then in a dog fight with several other cars who had qualified up the order but binned it early on, finishing in a lack lustre 12th for 22pts.

Slot 1 - I qualified 12th with a 1:51.4xx, which was about 4 tenths slower than where I wanted to be. Not sure why I couldn't get it lower. Not that it mattered'. I could've just chilled in the pit and started last and would have done much better. I got run off the track in T1 at the start. Then to make matters worse, I got hit with a 5 second penalty for getting obliterated. PLast. I make it back up to p9 then I murdered LedSled in Les Combes. Get a deserved penalty and keep going as to not obstruct those behind. Served the penalty and waited on the far outside at Blanchimont for LedSled. Back to p13 or so. Somehow, finish p11. 188 points..had to go again..

Slot 2 - I qualified with a worse time, but managed a Q4. I got a GREAT start into p2, cleanly. However, I caught p1 and was alongside him at the end of Kemmel. I lifted a hair to fall in line but p3 took that as an invite and slams it inside, hits p1 and forced me wide left. P4 tries to take advantage as I move to slide in behind previous p3 now p2 and I catch the front of p4s car with my rear tire. RIP Greddy, back to p12. Guess I shouldve sent it into Les Combes. No good deed goes unpunished. Work my ass off back up to p5. Catch p4 Lap 6 and make a move at Les Combes. Doesnt stick. Then on Lap 7 he drives like a total dick and swerve blocks me on Kemmel as I'm coming by with a head of steam. I wait for lap 8 to try again. This time I do a double move to get to the inside on Kemmel and he was fooled, so he swerves back and rams me into the right side wall!! Then he spins out. Unreal. What a slime ball. Finish P3. I couldve won this race. But no, all that because I was trying to be patient. 250 points.

Edit to add video, since I finally got it all cut up and had some time to add commentary.

Last edited:
This is where these posts are going now? Whoops! Anyway...

Slot 1 (and not top split!): My Free Practice pace gave me cause for concern, since I was at least half a second slower than most of the people on my friends list that I usually end up racing against, plus historically I've been pretty terrible at driving the SF in GT Sport, in spite of it being a high downforce car, which I'm usually rather quick with. My qualifying didn't get off to the best of starts due to me spinning at La Source like a noob on my very first hot lap. In the end, the best I could do was a 52.0, which was almost 1s slower than my best FP time. If I'd even managed to get within a tenth of my best FP time I'd have been starting on the front row. Instead, I was P8, which honestly wasn't that bad.

I made up a place at the start, and another one at Pouhon when the car in front spun, moving me up to 6th by the end of Lap 1. Another casualty at Pouhon on Lap 3 moved me up to 5th, which is where I remained for most of the rest of the race. I could see 4th ahead, but he was several seconds up the road. As we each cycled through our overtakes, the gap would increase and decrease as one of us ran out of boost while the other still had some left. With each cycle, the gap between us became smaller and smaller until Lap 7 when I was in the slipstream of 4th place headed into Eau Rouge. Right as I was poised for an overtake down Kemmel, the back of my car stepped out at Radillion. Somehow I managed to avoid completely losing it, but I went from being right behind 4th place to over 2s behind, with only 1 more lap left. Fortunately I still had a lot of boost left and somehow closed that gap again to be right behind him headed into Eau Rouge once again on the final lap. This time I made it through just fine, partially because I had to lift anyway because I'd caught him so quickly and had no where to go with it until we got to Kemmel. I passed 4th place down Kemmel using almost all of the rest of my boost, but couldn't gap him enough through Sector 2. Starting the final sector, I was now out of boost, but he had a full meter and used it to great effect in Sector 3, passing me just before we got to the chicane. Because he had to take a tighter line I got a better exit and squeaked back past him just before the finish to grab P4 once and for all. Looking back at the replay, he still had plenty of boost left, while mine hadn't refilled yet, but for some reason he chose not to use it on the run to the finish. Had he done so he would've easily held me off. 249 points is a decent start to the season. This was also the first time I took home 200 or more points from a Super Formula race.

View attachment 1150507
How close it was between me and 5th place at the finish

Just ran the Suzuka race. Man that car is a pig to wrestle around there. I struggle a bit at Suzuka anyway so wasn't expecting much. Qualified in p12 which was about my place in the lobby so all ok I guess. Ended up dodging a wild wreck in turn 1 as a guy behind went full send and took out someone else. But I got it later as I was making sure not to ram someone off and the guy behind decided to launch it into Degner 1 on my inside and simply ran me off. They did get 2 seconds and I passed them after that so not too awful.

After that it was uneventful, my lack of consistency kept me from making any real passes and a run wide on lap 7 kept me out of the top 10. Came home p11, could have been p9 but as it was still a better feeling run than last round I'll take it.
Had some real aggressive trolls in the lobby though. Beware out there.

I am also struggling to get this car around the track. I have run some BOP one make custom races against the AI, they run faster laps on Hards than I can on Mediums. Since you can't adjust brake bias, I was able pick pickup 0.5s by changing ABS from Default to Weak. My best FP lap is 1:59.5.

I wonder what Toyota are making of the early lap cash fests to promote their brand although perhaps it's different in the higher lobbies :lol:

Either way I'm not complaining as I was painfully slow here in practice and qualy and started from 13th. By lap 3 I was up into 5th thanks to the various penalties and shenanigans I was able to stay out of and keep my nose clean. Had my obligatory Suzuka spin at turn 1 under no pressure shortly after which put me temporarily into 7th but passed another spinner and penalty server and I was back into 5th by lap 5.

Don't know what was going on behind me but those names kept switching around and those times kept dropping further and further back to around the 17 second mark for the gap by the last lap. I got within 4 seconds of 4th as the race wound down but was not going to catch up so a pretty lonely ride but again, another 5th place from near the back thanks to total chaos in the opening laps. I'm going to grab that and rush home to play poker tonight :cheers:

(also you should get extra points and CR for running a custom livery now, these rentals are making for some ugly replays)

FTYXGLqWIAA_7GX.jpg

Toyota throwback livery by @Romu74570

Last edited:
Just went for the first stint. Taken of as 6 and ended @ 4 good race. But for the second stint halfway quali everything jams screen locks up and freezes. Anyone else got this problem with the toyota cup races. I had the same problem with the manufacturers cup.

Man, I just cannot get along with this car. So many of the Gr.3 cars are really easy to drive now, this is not one of them. Can barely do a lap without sliding off somewhere.

Any of yall got some strategy tips for me on this race? I race at 7p cst and looking for best way to tackle this track as i have been constantly sliding off road. Are yall pushing car to limits on them curves or just playin it safe to make it around track in one piece & not running off track?

Any of yall got some strategy tips for me on this race? I race at 7p cst and looking for best way to tackle this track as i have been constantly sliding off road. Are yall pushing car to limits on them curves or just playin it safe to make it around track in one piece & not running off track?
Im going to put after lap 7 as well

Im going to put after lap 7 as well
I ran 5th for more or less the whole race and no one pitted around me, a couple behind but I never saw them again after. It's not worth it IMO. The tires can last, just don't abuse the kerbs too much and you should be alright.

I ran 5th for more or less the whole race and no one pitted around me, a couple behind but I never saw them again after. It's not worth it IMO. The tires can last, just don't abuse the kerbs too much and you should be alright.
Ahhh, i see, thank you, because is was hearing alot of people on youtube saying to put around 7th because you lose time, not as good around corners, etc

Complete mayhem in my race tonight, B/S lobby was more like D/C lobby, it started in qualifying with people intentionally wrecking the drivers who got better laps, then getting knocked in sand for 1st 2 laps, dropped alot of us from 5th or higher to last or next to last, took my beatings and finally made way back to 10th, sucks there are no real passing paths throughout the race, i thought about doing another but after 2 races that had similar type drivers, i decided against going again

I had the lead then......lobby crashed! Thanks GT7 🤬🤬🤬
Split 2 with the sweaties, without streaming this time. In 7th.... Did it again 🤦‍♂️

I'm not partaking in lobbies until GT7 fixes their ish. This is unacceptable considering how good the lobby infrastructure in GT Sport was. God I loved this combo too 😭

Slot 1: Had my first 2 qualifying attempts ruined due to running into @Geauxgreddy's disconnected car at the exit of 130R. Turns out when your game freezes it leaves your car on the track...in his case his car was left meandering slowly on the racing line as if trying to build a gap to those in front. I only knew something was wrong when "he" didn't yield after our collision and in fact tried to go side-by-side at the chicane (and he obviously doesn't drive like that) before abruptly disconnecting. The whole debacle gave me a 1s penalty for the collision, which invalidated my lap, then ruined my next lap since I had to serve it then. Still, I finally got a decent qualifying time in on the final attempt to line up 6th with a 59.7.

I stayed in 6th through T1, and 8th lost traction on exit and speared into the side of 7th, spinning him and handing me a nice 1+ second gap to the rest of the field behind me. The car that had taken the lead from polesitter @Roman_GT23 then lost it in the Degners, handing me a spot and putting me into 5th. The next lap, 4th place nearly did the same thing, but managed to save it. His dirty tires caused him to go deep into the hairpin, allowing me to overtake. The lap after that, 3rd place lost it at T1, giving me 3rd. After that, my race became about just trying to hold on to a potential podium and not make the mistakes that everyone else around me was making. The gap between me and 4th ebbed and flowed but stayed around 1s. On Lap 8 was when @Roman_GT23 disconnected from the lead. His car just went straight on at the Degners and never attempted to stop or turn. At the time I though he was just another victim of those 2 corners, since they'd caught out many people already, but the replay provided a clearer picture. That moved me up to P2. At the same time, I started growing the gap to the car behind me until it was over 3s, and from there it was a relatively easy 2nd place finish (I took it extremely easy on the final lap and 3rd place roughly halved the gap between us). To my surprise, it was worth 304 points! That makes this my 4th time over 300 points, and my first 300+ result in an "Official" season, as well as the first 300+ score on a dedicated road course (I did have another 320-point score at the Daytona roval, but it's not a "dedicated" road course). Sorry to see so many people affected by game and/or connection issues.
Gran Turismo® 7_20220522204650.jpg

Gran Turismo® 7_20220522204807.jpg

Slot 1: Had my first 2 qualifying attempts ruined due to running into @Geauxgreddy's disconnected car at the exit of 130R. Turns out when your game freezes it leaves your car on the track...in his case his car was left meandering slowly on the racing line as if trying to build a gap to those in front. I only knew something was wrong when "he" didn't yield after our collision and in fact tried to go side-by-side at the chicane (and he obviously doesn't drive like that) before abruptly disconnecting. The whole debacle gave me a 1s penalty for the collision, which invalidated my lap, then ruined my next lap since I had to serve it then. Still, I finally got a decent qualifying time in on the final attempt to line up 6th with a 59.7.

I stayed in 6th through T1, and 8th lost traction on exit and speared into the side of 7th, spinning him and handing me a nice 1+ second gap to the rest of the field behind me. The car that had taken the lead from polesitter @Roman_GT23 then lost it in the Degners, handing me a spot and putting me into 5th. The next lap, 4th place nearly did the same thing, but managed to save it. His dirty tires caused him to go deep into the hairpin, allowing me to overtake. The lap after that, 3rd place lost it at T1, giving me 3rd. After that, my race became about just trying to hold on to a potential podium and not make the mistakes that everyone else around me was making. The gap between me and 4th ebbed and flowed but stayed around 1s. On Lap 8 was when @Roman_GT23 disconnected from the lead. His car just went straight on at the Degners and never attempted to stop or turn. At the time I though he was just another victim of those 2 corners, since they'd caught out many people already, but the replay provided a clearer picture. That moved me up to P2. At the same time, I started growing the gap to the car behind me until it was over 3s, and from there it was a relatively easy 2nd place finish (I took it extremely easy on the final lap and 3rd place roughly halved the gap between us). To my surprise, it was worth 304 points! That makes this my 4th time over 300 points, and my first 300+ result in an "Official" season, as well as the first 300+ score on a dedicated road course (I did have another 320-point score at the Daytona roval, but it's not a "dedicated" road course). Sorry to see so many people affected by game and/or connection issues. View attachment 1152722
View attachment 1152723
My stream also painted a clearer picture and like @Geauxgreddy I suffered the same thing. I'm happy for you though at least a friend got good points 🥲 cough my points lol

My stream also painted a clearer picture and like @Geauxgreddy I suffered the same thing. I'm happy for you though at least a friend got good points 🥲 cough my points lol
This season is the most participation the game has had in these championship races so far (as evidenced by me not being thrown to the alien-wolves in Top Split), so this seems to be a stress test for the entire system. Still, like you said earlier, this wasn't an issue for GT Sport when they had this much participation. I'm guessing trying to incorporate cross-console of 2 dedicated copies of the same game might be creating these issues.

Qualified 13th in a mixed A/A+ lobby. Went with the zero stop, despite the risks. Fortunately, I did a pretty good job at managing my tires. It was mainly down to exiting turns in a higher gear than usual to prevent wheelspin. I only noticed one person pit. I climbed my way up mostly from the errors of others and passed a couple other drivers who were clearly struggling for grip, making it to 5th towards the end of the race. The top 4 were long gone though. Finished in 5th place for the second time in a row, for another 201 points.

Round_2_Quali.png

full

Jumped in with just a few mins to go for the second slot. I had around 3 timed laps practice in time trial, with the best being a low 2:00, and it was time to get into the lobby, so expectations weren't very high...

CSA Slot 2, 275-point lobby. I continued to learn the combo during qualy, and considering my limited running, was quite happy to post a 1:59.7 in my final attempt, to qualify P8. Didn't make a great start, dropped to 9th. I hadn't driven any laps with fuel before the race, but I knew the race was a no stopper, so started to try to save tyres as soon as I saw I had the pace to do so without losing ground to the drivers behind.

Picked up a few spots from drivers making mistakes. One of the leaders ahead pitted and caught me, allowed him an easy pass as I didn't want to lose time and bring everyone behind closer to me. No way I could defend against fresh tyres for almost half the race, anyway.

Pace was pretty solid at the beginning, in the low 2:01s, but eventually started to struggle badly with understeer, front tyres were finished. However, I was in 6th and still closing the gap to the guys ahead up to 3rd, as they were making small mistakes or struggling with tyres even more.

While I started the last lap in a 4-car group for 3rd, I had nothing left to attack with. A Colombian ahead made a mistake into Degnar though and was slow going into the hairpin. I had a much better exit and went side by side with him into Spoon for P5. I braked early and tried to keep it very tight to the apex, but with no front tyres left, I understeered and just pushed him wide. Slowed down to return the position and finished P6 in the end. 218 points, satisfied with the result. :)

1653275580944.png

1653275573349.png

Last edited:
This ended up as one my my most intense races so far in GT7. Got the dreaded black screen in qualifying, waited it out to find a field of only 9. I qualify P4 with 2:00.7. The race starts and I go from P3 to P5 in the turn 1 shuffle and settle in. P4/5(me) /6 are running hard nose to tail until lap 7 when the top 3 decide to pit. Odd decision to me since I knew the tires could last. I am now P2, P3 dropped offand the leader and I races hard for the lead, but I could never setup a pass. By lap 11 the top two who pitted have run us down, they pass me on the main straight and go after the leader. Coming out of Degner 2 P3 hits P2, P2 spins and P3 gets a 4s penalty getting me back to 2nd. Coming to the white flag P3 has run me down again after his penalty and passes me in T1. I watch him battle the leader on old tires from 1s behind as they go door to door into Spoon. In a parting of the seas moment they both spin off into the grass as I cruise by. By this point the new P2 driver is 0.4s behind me going into the triangle, I almost blow the entry on my shot tires and he gets beside me, but I power out on the inside to beat him back to the line by 0.088s! My first sport mode win in GT7 after 56 starts. Scored 172 points in my A/S lobby.

Last edited:

I stayed in 6th through T1, and 8th lost traction on exit and speared into the side of 7th, spinning him and handing me a nice 1+ second gap to the rest of the field behind me. The car that had taken the lead from polesitter @Roman_GT23 then lost it in the Degners, handing me a spot and putting me into 5th. The next lap, 4th place nearly did the same thing, but managed to save it. His dirty tires caused him to go deep into the hairpin, allowing me to overtake. The lap after that, 3rd place lost it at T1, giving me 3rd. After that, my race became about just trying to hold on to a potential podium and not make the mistakes that everyone else around me was making. The gap between me and 4th ebbed and flowed but stayed around 1s. On Lap 8 was when @Roman_GT23 disconnected from the lead. His car just went straight on at the Degners and never attempted to stop or turn. At the time I though he was just another victim of those 2 corners, since they'd caught out many people already, but the replay provided a clearer picture. That moved me up to P2. At the same time, I started growing the gap to the car behind me until it was over 3s, and from there it was a relatively easy 2nd place finish (I took it extremely easy on the final lap and 3rd place roughly halved the gap between us). To my surprise, it was worth 304 points! That makes this my 4th time over 300 points, and my first 300+ result in an "Official" season, as well as the first 300+ score on a dedicated road course (I did have another 320-point score at the Daytona roval, but it's not a "dedicated" road course). Sorry to see so many people affected by game and/or connection issues. View attachment 1152722
View attachment 1152723
Slot 1 - See above and NOOOOOOOooooooooo... man that makes me feel terrible that my disembodied car took you out :( I was coming out of spoon and my screen just froze. I was definitely on a blazer of a lap, probably a pole type lap. XD Who will ever know? But, super aweseome result! Happy for you @GTWolverine . I'm yet to break that 300 barrier.

Slot 2 - Lobby wasn't as good as slot 1 so not as many points were available, but I put in a solid qualifying lap for Q4. Start of the race was not so good as the guy in front of me appeared to overbreak T1, causing a pinball effect to take hold of about 4 of us. Could've been lag, though. Unfortunately lost 3 spots in that one corner. Managed to make my way back up towards the front...all the way to P2 before getting run down by one of only a couple 1 stoppers. The final lap had me sweating bullets. Took home 262 points. Not too shabby. It was fun race even though this car seemed to give me fits at Suzuka.

I am B/s and decided to followed Kies advise and plan with pitstop to avoid having to struggle with worn tires.

In general I was happy with my pace, but struggled massively to get into positions for a clean overtake.
Driving lines and brake point in this lobbies are so all over the place at Suzuka. Trying to overtake mostly resulted in me Off-Track to avoid a collision. Adding some penalties for hitting rejoining cars. First two slots ended on P11. Both with me beeing last at some time in the race.
As people were binning it on there own enough, I decided to not overtake at all in Slot 3.
So I started on P8 was shoved off in Turn 1 and rejoined on last position.
Still following my plan to not overtake I ended on P4 with outstanding help by the competition.
I will have to compose a clip of the one curve were 3 opponents before me spun of synchronously to let me through. :lol:

Back