Toyota Gazoo Racing GT Cup 2022 Schedule is Announced for Gran Turismo 7

• Thread starter Famine
  • 217 comments
It surprises me how many struggle with this car, I felt it was pretty planted and enjoyed it a lot in the early game as it came with pre-order (I think?!), being one of the smoothest Gr 3's to drive at that time. Suzuka is a bit like that, difficult to be consistent, not very friendly if you stick a wheel off the tarmac, so it's perhaps the track more than the car.
Still following my plan to not overtake I ended on P4 with outstanding help by the competition.
I will have to compose a clip of the one curve were 3 opponents before me spun of synchronously to let me through. :lol:

But yes the strategy of run your race, don't take any risks, and let the cars in front give you their positions works very well here :lol:

I almost missed my race last night. While waiting for the start I started Googling "Suzuka Circuit food" .....I hadn't eaten dinner yet.

Anyways , if anyone attends Suzuka 8 Hours, can you pick me up a Bike Nori Bento. :sly:

D_vtKf8VUAAbr_C

Round 2 - Suzuka

I haven't gotten in much time on GT7 lately, and missed Round 1. But I jumped on just a short time before the last NA slot to run Round 2. I'd struggled in GT7 Championship events so far, not well adjusted to the new physics yet, I guess (at least in pace... I FELT comfortable...) Given that background, I didn't expect much and in fact was prepared to finish DFL without complaint if it amounted to that.

But qualified 7th, leaving some time on the track, too, so felt like maybe the race would go ok after all!?

Then, worked my way up to 3rd, 6 sec or so off 2nd place, after a dozen or so perfect, mistake free laps. Just kept running consistent laps, protecting the tires with some higher gears in the longer corners, and otherwise avoiding trouble while some people seemed to create it. I was really in my element. I ran down second to set up one last lap opportunity, maybe, while also shaking off the leading stopper (top 3 were all on the more effective no-stop strategy). Didn't really have a chance to pass 2nd heading into the final chicane, though I had completely closed the gap by that last lap after a wonderfully clean run up to him.

THEN: I oversteered on the last turn as I approach the pit lane... lost the rear, hit the pit wall, and ended up facing the wrong way!! DISASTER. 100 yards from the end!! I THREW AWAY THE PODIUM SPOT!! I wasn't even under any pressure, I could have coasted home. Dumbest thing I've done on GT in ages. And after one of my smartest drives ever. 🤦🏻‍♂️

So I ended up 5th, which all told, I would have been really happy with before I'd entered the race... but MAN, am I kicking myself!

Really bummed to have missed the SF race at Spa... I think I would have been competitive there. And this race gave me a big confidence boost as even with all that, I had podium-level pace and was really good in the race itself. Just needed someone in my ear to remind me to just 'bring it home' that last lap, and I would have had a nice bronze trophy sticker to put on my next Toyota.

Coupled with my really good run at DTG on GTS, I think I might be turning the corner after adapting to the Fanatec DD Pro and the new (and now updated) GT7 physics both. A little confidence goes a long way.

Last edited:
I may be missing something here, but the green bar hybrid status indicator on the GR010 doesn’t seem to move very much.

I presumed it was an auto deploy. Does it have to be initiated manually In some way?

So the TGR cup is back. And the unintentional carnage that grid starts at Le Mans bring. I made first slot with this understeering pig of a 'car' and gave it a good go. Got a 1 second penalty on my banker lap and then torpedoed my flyer by clipping the exit of the corvette curves to get a 0.5 and negate the lap. Should have bee starting p2, was starting p5.

Total chaos and carnage at the first turn, but I survived and was p7 or so heading to Mulsanne when I braked way early but the tires said no, so I was wide and down to p11. People bumping and penalties hade back to p9 shortly, then climbing a bit more. Suddenly by lap 3 I'm p5 and gaining fast. I manage to get to p4 in time to serve a penalty, but it means I'm set up to pass after Tertre Rouge as I was dynamite through sector 1. Get to p4, nice, get on the back of p3, they run off at Mulsanne.

Then it's the start of lap 5 and p2 is 9 seconds ahead. I gain massive chunks of time, turns out they are on mediums and the tires have called it a night. By the end of the lap I am only 3 seconds behind. Exiting tertre rouge lap 6 I have it down to a second. I catch a 0.5 but make the pass heading into arnage. Their tires are so worn that even with the penalty I out accelerate them to the Porsche curves and fight back to p2 for 180 points. Probably would have had more if I got into a higher split, but I'll take what I get.

Get your crash helmets on, lap 1 is messy to say the least

So the TGR cup is back. And the unintentional carnage that grid starts at Le Mans bring. I made first slot with this understeering pig of a 'car' and gave it a good go. Got a 1 second penalty on my banker lap and then torpedoed my flyer by clipping the exit of the corvette curves to get a 0.5 and negate the lap. Should have bee starting p2, was starting p5.

Total chaos and carnage at the first turn, but I survived and was p7 or so heading to Mulsanne when I braked way early but the tires said no, so I was wide and down to p11. People bumping and penalties hade back to p9 shortly, then climbing a bit more. Suddenly by lap 3 I'm p5 and gaining fast. I manage to get to p4 in time to serve a penalty, but it means I'm set up to pass after Tertre Rouge as I was dynamite through sector 1. Get to p4, nice, get on the back of p3, they run off at Mulsanne.

Then it's the start of lap 5 and p2 is 9 seconds ahead. I gain massive chunks of time, turns out they are on mediums and the tires have called it a night. By the end of the lap I am only 3 seconds behind. Exiting tertre rouge lap 6 I have it down to a second. I catch a 0.5 but make the pass heading into arnage. Their tires are so worn that even with the penalty I out accelerate them to the Porsche curves and fight back to p2 for 180 points. Probably would have had more if I got into a higher split, but I'll take what I get.

Any sign of rain here?

Any sign of rain here?
No rain, but be ready for dark. My race was dark at the start and had sunrise end of lap 2, other races started in full sun and had the sun set on lap 5 or 6. Just know your braking points and be ready to either take advantage of lap 1 or be calm enough to recover from it.

Sooo if yalls race is carnage, i can only imagine how my B & C lobby races will be, i hope im not put in that horrible B/B lobby again tonight in merica because me having an S rating means nothing to them but wreck him, wreck him lol

Sooo if yalls race is carnage, i can only imagine how my B & C lobby races will be, i hope im not put in that horrible B/B lobby again tonight in merica because me having an S rating means nothing to them but wreck him, wreck him lol
Well I rage quit out of the first slot after getting battered around on lap 1 and eventually punted on entry into the porsche curves, after starting 3rd at that point I was last and would have ruined someone elses race out of spite if I'd stayed in there :lol:

about to try again after a breather and a shot of jack daniels, but yes heed the warnings above, it is chaos.

20220605_194556.jpg

And that's a 🥇 No. 3 in GT7. Wow!

Started 4th, should've been higher but did not adjust to darkness quickly enough, bottled it at Indianapolis. Went with hards based only on instincts. First lap was tough with battles which allowed Spaniard to go 7s clear in first, me behind. I was catching up to him slowly but surely and when he realised he'll be caught, end of lap 3, he went in box, was on mediums. I was 11s clear at that point which ballooned to 17 in the end. Could not have imagined this. 139 pts.

Still, I don't like how this car handles at all, it's so much worse that older Gr. 1 cars and at times even Gr. 3 cars. It goes 340 km/h + on straights so that's positive.

Last edited:
I may be missing something here, but the green bar hybrid status indicator on the GR010 doesn’t seem to move very much.

I presumed it was an auto deploy. Does it have to be initiated manually In some way?
So I did some looking into this particular hybrid, the GR010. It is not like the Ferrari FXX K where it has a seperate battery/motor drivetrain to deliver extra horsepower. In fact it works different than other hybrid tech I'm familiar with, due to regulations.

The ICE powers the rear wheels and the electric motor powers the front axle only.

The car is limited to 500kw power output max by hypercar regulations, and I find, the ICE can produce that all on it's own. It has a computer that limits the power output of the ICE based on how much power the electric motor is outputting, so that it never exceeds 500kw. The electric battery also seems to be collecting excess power from the ICE so the battery rarely goes down at all, since it is siphoning the excess kw from the ICE to refill the battery powering the electric motor, and since the ICE can produce the 500kw max on it's own it seems to refill at a similar rate. (That's a little bit of assumptions based on prior knowledge of how a hybrid system works)

On the Ferrari FXXK, they do not harvest excess energy from the ICE to refill the battery, so once it's empty you have to get another battery charge.

I went with the DENSO link instead of the Toyota or Gazoo link cuz Denso helped build the electric system for Gazoo.

Last edited:
Hmm.

No idea how the guy on pole did a 3'22, but he couldn't repeat it - fastest lap in the race was 3'25 - and I did 3'27 in qualy (with a half second penalty served for... no idea) and 3'28s all race long on hards.

But by being in the middle at T1 all of the people hitting me from the inside were evened out by those hitting me from the outside, leaping from 14th to 8th, then 6th due to crashes, 5th due to a guy pitting after three laps, and 4th due to the guy behind me passing me and then some kind of suicide pact with the guy ahead at Indianapolis.

13s off the lead at the end, but whatever. 113pt in a B/S lobby.

Can I go with medium tires the full race?
By regulations, yes. By 5x tyre wear, probably not easily.
In fact it works different than other hybrid tech I'm familiar with, due to regulations.
All the Hypercars work this way:

Man, that first lap is enough to drive someone to a life of crime.

Started 4th this time round, got a 2 second penalty for being punted apparently, and was down to 12th heading onto the mulsanne. Gathering all the strength needed to not rage at that moment I decided just to see where we would end up. Pitted lap 2 for new mediums figuring they have been scraped pretty bad in the mess that was the first lap, but really I think this one is better on hards with a no-stop for anyone getting ready to try it.

Finished 10th, bit boring once everything settled. Enjoyed driving Le Mans always, lovely in the time of day transition, and this is a better car than others opinions suggested even if cockpit view can be a bit obstructed. That first lap is brutal, kudos to those who either survived or thrived past it.

Glad to be done with it. You can see below the state of the car!

FUgo8kwXoAAgZSL.jpg

Classic Apple livery by @DaveKSM

This was such an enjoyable life at Circuit de la Sarthe in GT7 so I was always going to love it.

Qualified P2 - Track limits penalty when I was on for a dominant pole lap
Race P2 - bumped about in T1-2 but fought back to P2. Again, should have been a dominant win based on pace, but I made a silly error in Dunlop Chicane which cost 5s. Lost the race by 3.8s.
😔

Last edited:
I've just looked back at my replay of the Toyota GR010 race from earlier today, I understand having the race start at night and it was a nice touch to see the sun come up but I feel the flyby at the start was a scandulous waste of the French Air Force's resources, the tricolour is barely visible against a black sky. If I was a French taxpayer I would be furious right now.

Whelp, it was carnage on that 1st turn for sure, qualy 3rd and me, 1st & 2nd place had a good 10 sec lead when he decided i had caught up enough to pass him on 5th lap and whoosh, there i went into sand with that push in curve from him, salvaged a 5th, i will take it, i guess it is what it is

After trying to drive this barge (the GR010 replaces the SF as my least-favorite high downforce car) in FP, I knew my only hope would be to survive and not make mistakes, because I didn't have enough consistent speed.

Slot 1: Once again got matched with @Geauxgreddy, and also with @Razgriz2118 who I always seem to start next to, no matter what the race is and no matter how long it's been since we've been in the same split. That was the case once again when @Razgriz2118 qualified 9th and myself 10th. Long story short, I finished 7th and threw away a potential 6th place by braking slightly too late for Indianapolis on either Lap 3 or 4, while simultaneously cutting the fast right-hander before it. So not only did I lose 3s extracting myself from the gravel, but I now had a 0.5s penalty on top of it. That demoted me to 9th, which became 8th at the very next corner when someone ahead went off. It later became 7th when the car directly ahead of me randomly slowed headed down the main straight after the 2nd chicane. It turns out he picked up engine damage, despite not having collided with anything :confused:. Anyway, it was 222 points for a rather mediocre showing.

I'll let @Geauxgreddy tell how his race went, as I'm sure he'd want to tell it. Suffice it to say it went very well...

On the last slot I managed to qualify second. The first turn lost me one place and over the race I made a few mistakes. I fell back to 6th or 7th but crawled my way back up to the last podium spot. Was an eventful race. I'm glad I retried after my quali 12th and finish 10th just beforehand.

2022 Gazoo Racing GT Cup - Round 3
Toyota GR010

Slot 1
- Like mentioned above, the room opened up and my fellow GT Planet racers, @GTWolverine and @Razgriz2118 joined me in the paddock. Always good to see those guys in the lobby!! Before I got to Sunday, I couldn't find any practice lobbies, and the few I set up were poorly attended. So, I really didn't get any good practice in on the Hards. I did get plently of TT driving on the Mediums though.

I guess that TT driving was enough. Somehow I managed to land on Pole after qualifying with what I thought was an OK lap. Man, that darkness really hurt my lap time. BUt, apparently it did the same to everyone else. Also, I'm with @GTWolverine , this is not one of my favorite high downforce cars. It was bit quirky as it seemed to plow into the corner with a heavy dose of on turbo oversteer on the exit.

Anyway, the race started pretty dang clean for me, I was able to navigate turn 1 without even a bump. But I soon had p2 literally hanging onto my rear bump for serveral laps. I just tried to stay calm and focus on an error free race. Well, it worked! Early lap 3, p2 cut t1 and grabbed a half second penalty. That was the gap I needed. I crossed the line after lap 6 in P1. My first ever GT7 Victory in a championship series!! I'm still excited about it. LOL. Managed to pick up 296 points, 4 shy of the 300 number that I've yet to reach. Ah well... Still pumped.

The complete cluster **** that is GT7 lobbies with glitches and black screens completely ruined my first attempt at this race (got a complete black screen for that one).

And then destroyed what could have been an action packed 15 car grid down to just 4 by the time we were finally allowed to go qualifying.

That said the race itself was decent (considering the lack of cars) and given as by the time this race finished it was too late to attempt to run Slot 3 this will have to do.

I really hope that either PD get on top of this issue and fix it, or someone at Toyota sees this and the many others that experienced this issue last night to complain, as it's not a good look for either and given as this is an Official Toyota event the amount of egg on face from last night shouldn't be tolerated by them.

That was an interesting, and entertaining evening to say the least. I don't own this car, and since we can't "rent it" in a setting that allows tire and fuel consumption, I instead took another LMP I have (the Peugeot) and drove around LeMans to see how RMs held up after 6 laps. I decided not well enough for my skill (too many mistakes once the tires started wearing) so my race strategy was to Q on RM and race on RH. I think that's what most others did.

Managed to qualify 2nd for the race (was very proud of that) and somehow I escaped the chaos of T1, though P1 didn't. I jumped to the lead at race start, so I wonder if P1 bogged his start. I lost the lead to the P3 starter and was convinced he was on RM tires (based on braking and cornering behavior). I couldn't re-catch him but I never let him get more than 3 seconds ahead of me so I was still applying pressure. Unfortunately, on lap 5 I had some power on oversteer coming out of Indianapolis and ended up sideways. Lost about 7-8 seconds from that mishap which meant that I was now far off P1, and now P3 (who had started on pole) was staring down my taillights. Was able to hold him off for a while but I felt like it was only a matter of time. Well he passed me coming out of Arnage. We made contact as I was coming back over a little from the left side of track. He had plenty of room on his side, but it wasn't an intentional hit. Still I spun as a result (complete stop) and lost another position, so P4. And that's how I finished. Bleh.

I couldn't let that sit though so I entered the next race slot. Got nervous this time as the best I could do in qualifying was 12th! Haha (uh oh!). This time around definitely got to experience the chaos and bumper car shenanigans of T1...2 & 3. Thankfully came out unscathed and with a 4-5 position gain to boot. The pack was still running pretty tight and one other car kept teaming up with me for some bump drafting. I managed to keep the entire race clean and ran consistent 3:30's (I left a lot of speed on the table in the Porsche curves but being conservative seemed like the best strategy here). Passed a few more cars along the way as they made mistakes (mostly spins). Was blinded by the sun on Lap 5 and missed the turn in for Tetre Rouge so minor short cut penalty there (so annoying) but otherwise very clean. Finished 4th.

Very satisfying finish for the 2nd race. Funny how finishing 4th in two completely different manners can feel so different, haha.

Am i missing something in rd 4 practice lobby?
It's raining and the top guys are way ahead of what should be possible?
Are they waiting for the track to dry or what?

So after waiting about 40 mins on track, yes it is indeed dry enough for slicks

Kinda pointless honestly but hey.

Attachments

• 20220606_185118.jpg
    20220606_185118.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

The details of Round 4 of the 'TOYOTA GAZOO Racing GT Cup 2022' planned for 3 July have been changed as below.

■ Rounds Affected​

Round 4: 3 July 2022
 - Regulations (Specified Car): Super Formula Dallara SF19 Super Formula / Honda '19, Super Formula Dallara SF19 Super Formula / Toyota '19
 - BoP/Tuning Forbidden: On
 - Car Settings: Specified
 - Track: Nürburgring Grand Prix
 - Useable Tyre: Racing: Hard / Racing: Medium / Racing: Soft / Intermediate / Heavy Wet
 - Required Tyre Type: None
 - Minimum No. of Pit Stops: None
 - Qualifying Time: 10 Minutes
 - Fuel Consumption Rate (Qualifying): Off | Tyre Wear Rate (Qualifying): Off
 - No. of Laps: 12
 - Fuel Consumption Rate (Final): 1x | Tyre Wear Rate (Final): 5x

Last edited:
Back