Toyota Gazoo Racing GT Cup Returns for 2021 With a New Name and New Cars

• Thread starter The359
  • 244 comments
United States
Macungie, PA
The359
And the final hat has fallen. The third season of the Toyota Gazoo Racing Cup, except this time it is not solely for the Supra!

7 rounds from April to August, with 6 different Toyotas, including the 2021 Toyota GR 86, so we are getting a new car to the game no matter what.

Similar format as always, two time slots for races held on Sundays. All real-world circuits except Sardegna. Some of the schedule does not specify which layouts of the circuits will be used, so it is possible Sardegna could be dirt for the GR Yaris.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/news/00_3806414.html

https://toyotagazooracing.com/e-motorsports/

This too
the GR Supra, which reached 1.3 million in-game cars purchased since its inclusion in Gran Turismo Sport.
It's a sales race between Mazda and Toyota. Need to see purchases of the MX-5 TC.
I expect Toyota sales to grow at a much higher rate now. These sales really do count(pun intended and not intended. ;) )

Last edited:
Soooo that's pretty much confirmed for the new GR 86? Awesome. Would be nice if they add a couple more cars to go along with that, but I understand if their programmers are stretched too thin right now. At this point the GR 86 is just a bonus for the game.
No, we only get a more Toyota car. That's it.
I find them ugly.

Last edited:
No, we only get a more Toyota car. That's it.
I find them ugly.
Yeah that's what I'm expecting. This is just another promo campaign from Toyota, similar to what they did with the A90 Supra and the GR Supra GT Cup.

Well I posted this in the last GR Supra thread:

My alternative pipe dream would be PD adding the new Super GT Supra. Then we can have a championship going through Supra history from MA70, JZA80, GR Supra, Gr.4, Gr.3 then Gr.2 :D

PD gets the idea, but man why another Yaris @ Fuji race? The 2000GT and dirt race are what I'm most looking forward to definitely.

Also a missed opportunity not to add the GR Supersport (both road and race versions)...

I know Fuji is Toyota's home track, but the GR Yaris is just *meh* around it - I'd be more interested in a race with the TS050s so the hybrid could actually come into play through that rubbish final sector and make it worth lifting, coasting, giving up a place to shoot by someone on the straight.

The SF Toyotas around Suzuka make me think they got a bit jealous of all the Red-Bull sponsored stuff with the SF Honda earlier in the year/at the end of last year, and demanded their own go. Also going to be a crashfest.

The final race in December has "TBD" as the car choice. Could possibly be the GR Super Sport/GR010 Hybrid, never know
Or it's two semi-finals - to cut 24 to 12 - and then a final, like the last two years, and they're not announcing the combos yet.

I totally saw this coming, where there'd either be a championship or a special event in GT7 revolving around all the cars with GR labels - right down to including the SF19 with the Toyota engine. However, I am still surprised by the fact that at least one round uses a Toyota without the GR label, the 2000GT. There aren't any rounds with the 86 GRMN, either, but I think that's because of the future inclusion of the new GR 86.

EDIT: I'd hope that in a future iteration of this event - perhaps in GT7's version of Sport Mode - the GR010 gets to join in, too, and maybe even the production version of the GR Super Sport.

Last edited:
The different car choices is a good idea. Last year there were times I genuinely forgot the Supra races were on because they were so boring. Hopefully we don't have the usual mix of excessive tyre and fuel multipliers, especially now with the massive pit loss times.

Also if someone can tell me where to find the liveries in the picture in the GTPlanet article that'd be cool

And the final hat has fallen. The third season of the Toyota Gazoo Racing Cup, except this time it is not solely for the Supra!

7 rounds from April to August, with 6 different Toyotas, including the 2021 Toyota GR 86, so we are getting a new car to the game no matter what.

Similar format as always, two time slots for races held on Sundays. All real-world circuits except Sardegna. Some of the schedule does not specify which layouts of the circuits will be used, so it is possible Sardegna could be dirt for the GR Yaris.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/news/00_3806414.html

https://toyotagazooracing.com/e-motorsports/
I actually am really excited about this... the Yaris and Supra are both fun to drive, and the Gr4 86 has always been a solid car to race with... the idea of a Toyota one-make series, with all three... I love it and will be glad to participate.

I did struggle a bit in the Supras when that Series ran last year, but I am optimistic that the racing will be better with the three different cars in the rotation, and having learned a little bit how to avoid some of the carnage that comes with the number of dirty racers online... (though that is optimistic).

I actually am really excited about this... the Yaris and Supra are both fun to drive, and the Gr4 86 has always been a solid car to race with... the idea of a Toyota one-make series, with all three... I love it and will be glad to participate.

I did struggle a bit in the Supras when that Series ran last year, but I am optimistic that the racing will be better with the three different cars in the rotation, and having learned a little bit how to avoid some of the carnage that comes with the number of dirty racers online... (though that is optimistic).

The 86 Gr4 isn't in this series. The GR 86 is a new street car.

The 86 Gr4 isn't in this series. The GR 86 is a new street car.
Yes, I understand... was just pointing out that all the Toyota offerings in the game have been fun to drive, and the idea of another new one, for a one-make series, sounds great! Perhaps they will include the Gr1 and SF cars in a race, too!? What if there is one from each class, wouldn't that be fun? SF, Gr1, Supra, GR 86, and GR Yaris!

Back