Toyota Gazoo Racing GT Cup Returns for 2021 With a New Name and New Cars

• Thread starter The359
  • 244 comments
Had a rough race, qualified fourth and got punted off at the last corner on the first lap to last place, then messed it up when I managed to make up places to around 10th, where I came up to a big squabbling pack. I was on the softs, but I kind of figured that getting involved in the fighting would be a bad idea so tried the overcut onto hards on lap 6 from softs. Big mistake. Just couldn't keep up, had to keep letting people on better tyres go by.

That said, I found this race actually relatively good. I love Laguna Seca anyway, and maybe it's because I'm getting old but lobby races with my usual crew, where everyone's on Racing SuperSoft tyres squabbling for a couple of laps, and indeed, why I don't play Daily Races... this was much more about patience, car care, and for someone slowly losing his marbles like me, I loved it. The Sports tyres make road cars feel like they need a bit more care and attention, and in my practice race I didn't actually have a problem making my soft tyres last 12 laps even on controller, but that was against AI and at the front of the pack with very clean air. Fighting made it a lot harder, but I appreciated that you had different options.

Just funny. I couldn't make the softs last five laps in the Manufacturers' race earlier in the week, but no problem here. I guess everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

I decided to enter this with my second account. Qualified 12th and started on Hards.

With thankfully no stupidity happening on T1, I made my way up to 10th on the opening lap. However, I didn't trust the Hard tires and even nearly spun out, so I decided to be the first one to pit, doing so on lap 5. I came out in 20th. Since I pitted so early, I had to be as easy on my tires as possible. The decision to pit when I did paid off though, as I gradually climbed my way up the rankings, passing people who were on worse tires and those who decided to pit later.

I made it all the way up to 6th by lap 15 and held on until the end, but bizarrely 1st pulled over, so I got a free position for that. Guess they were feeling really generous today. :lol:

full

Credits to @Adam Barber for the livery.

Last edited:
Got the 2nd tier room for the night, door #4, qualified 3rd but opted to start on Hards despite knowing a few behind me were starting on Softs. Didn't get a good start, fell back to 5th by Andretti Hairpin but everyone was clean. Dropped a position each lap from there on out as the Softies caught and passed me, eventually in 8th. Pitted on Lap 6 to work the undercut and switch to Softs, came out of the pits 15th. Set good lap times throughout with the exception of one-off coming down the hill where I fell off the tack and lost a couple of seconds but I was mostly by myself as those behind me had also pitted and those in front of me I passed as they pitted. Had to pass one person by making a bold move into the kink. Made the soft tires last 12 laps, eventually getting to 3rd, two seconds behind the car in second. I would have likely caught him or been ahead of him after pit stops if I hadn't had that off, but a podium was far better than expected. 251 points and a good start to the series.

So I had a mechanical failure in race one as my transmission failed (i.e. I dropped the handbrake on my wheel and car didn’t move forward). So retired from that one a bit embarrassed.

Went for Slot 2 with lower SR, and I was never so bored of winning a race. It’s a win, but a lowly 42 point win.

Last edited:
Took a gamble on doing both slots.
Should've had a podium atleast in both but made to many mistakes.
I thought the best result was supposed to stick?
My second attempt was 4 positions lower and 12 points lower than the first but that's the result in the standings.
That seems to contradict what the series points system says?

It's been a bad week in GT Sport for me. After an 'OK' result in Wednesday's Manufacturer round, I thought it would be fun to try the Tokyo daily race. Bad idea, as I managed to lose over 7000 DR at a track I usually do well at. Dropped me down to B-DR for the first time in a long time just in time for the Nations race on Saturday. Shouldn't have bothered there, either and lost a further 1000 DR in the process.

So I entered the Toyota race with my tail firmly between my legs without much expectation.

Door 14, B/S lobby ~ 26.5K DR, 135 points to win, Q11, P6

I was torn on strategy but decided to start on the hards and ran 9H/9S. In hindsight I should have gone longer on the softs and would have probably had a top 5 at least, but I usually can't save tires. Crazy start, with 3 and 4 wide racing but it all seemed pretty clean and fair as most appeared to understand it was a long game kind of race.

In the end I scored 107 points and more importantly a little confidence boost and 800 DR back after what hasn't been a great week on the game.

Lap 1, 4 wide into turn 2(?). We all survived!
20210425232746.jpg

Also lap 1 into the corkscrew, but only 3 wide this time.
20210425232928.jpg

Last lap pass taking full advantage of the soft tires:
20210425232947.jpg

We'll take the result and move on from here!
Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210425214637.jpg

Last edited:
Took a gamble on doing both slots.
Should've had a podium atleast in both but made to many mistakes.
I thought the best result was supposed to stick?
My second attempt was 4 positions lower and 12 points lower than the first but that's the result in the standings.

The game takes the LAST result you obtained for that round, not the best result. Entering the next time slot means that you forfeit your result from the previous slot. If you get 50 points in Slot 1 and 20 points in Slot 2, you get 20 points. It’s risk vs reward: you can forfeit your current result to try and get more points, but you risk losing points if you finish worse than before or get sent off into turn 1.

It's your last race that counts. I'm not sure where you've seen something that contradicts that?

https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/fia_championships/2021/#c05

5.POINTS
When a competitor participates in and finishes an online race, points are awarded according to their final position. The points gained are determined automatically by the average Driver Rating of all players matched in that race.

(If competitors enter more than one race in the same Round, only the points earned in the last race of the day will count towards their ranking for that Round.)

TGR Cup - Supra at Laguna Seca

Race 1 was a total wash, no thanks to one genius' absolutely flawless rejoin:

I came home 17th for 60 points after a very messy fight at the back. Naturally, I went again.

mIWLFZQ.jpg

Strategy: 7H-11S, BB -1

I managed a time a tenth off my TT best in qualifying, starting 6th. I decided to play it safe, starting on Hards so that I can scythe through the pack later. The top 5 started on Softs and left me in the dust, leaving me to tumble down the midfield as my conservative approach had me get mugged by both Soft and Hard runners alike.

j03ZNz2.jpg

This guy went in deep trying a divebomb on me on my Hard stint.

I finally boxed on lap 7 from 11th to take the Softs and claw my way back up from 17th. With the tyre advantage, I made a couple of good moves around the outside of the Corkscrew and Rainy on my way back up the order.
dX33SO7.jpg
JV3Jr5b.jpg
6pSVCtJ.jpg
x0QNEat.jpg

The red Supra that divebombed me earlier ended up taking himself off and handing me his place after turning in on the black/red Supra ahead out of Andretti Hairpin.

By lap 16, I was in 7th and chasing the black/red Supra and an blue Indonesian Supra that had boxed on lap 4 and was running on dead Softs. The Indonesian had been very aggressive earlier in the race and was now defending hard to keep 5th.
Uk77piu.jpg

We both tried a move on the Indonesian into the Corkscrew, but he was able to retake 5th.

The black/red then pits, leaving me with two laps to pass the Indonesian.
gn3vCxe.jpg

Despite my best efforts, I just could not get alongside the Indonesian. He was parking himself on the apex perfectly in all of the possible passing spots. And since it was the last slot and my tyres were pretty worn, I could not afford to make any risky moves like a divebomb. I ended up having to settle for finishing where I started in 6th for 128 points.
qJ9jARz.jpg
GydGEdC.jpg
jZGym93.jpg

I got a much better result that I expected, considering how much of a handful the Supra is. Here's hoping I can keep it up over the season.

IOBBGJT.jpg
jGQishs.jpg

Yesterday was my first ever race in any of the Toyota sponsored championships, mainly because I didn't have the necessary skills to drive the Supra previously, so I went in to this race with a mix of excitement and intrepidation.

Didn't think my quali lap was that great but turned out it was good enough for 5th, roughly half a second from pole.

Not much of a race to write up on, scrappy first few laps set me back to 6th. From then I essentially drove around on my own for the rest of the race.
Went 14S/4H so I led for a few laps, keeping the softs going worked out well as I came home 4th for 108 points.

Some strange decisions to 2 stop from two drivers, lost them A LOT of time!

Incidentally this was my 2nd ever 100+ point finish, my 1st was in the Catalunya Manu race.

Feeling pretty good at the moment, looking forward to Gr1 Spa this week and for Nations!

I'm not sure if that's bad track physics is just the odd handling of the car at the limit... then again a bit straight road shouldnt pose a threat to the car but I feel that's about right for the 2019 spec version.

Managed to have a really good race last night I was in a 212 point room with Door #10. I messed up my qualifying lap though by braking too late into T1, which gave me Q7, when my optimum quali lap that I knew I could do thanks to quali performances in practice races would've put me in Q4 at least. But, I threw on Softs and decided to go for broke, since there are only 2 shots.

At the start, 6th place doesn't start which bunches up 8th, and I get a better launch and am drag racing 5th to T1. I end up braking later than everyone since I was on the far-outside, which I absolutely didn't want to be, and despite almost getting pushed off track, I managed to slot into P4, where the person ahead then runs wide off the road, giving me P3. 4th place behind me initially is able to challenge me, but every lap I add a couple of tenths to the gap, while 2nd and 1st place ahead of me slowly start pulling ahead of me, leaving the three of us up front to run our own races... until P1 makes a mistake, letting P2 pass. Several laps later, the former leader makes a very aggressive pass into T6 before the Corkscrew which sends the other person into the dirt, allowing me to take P2, where I stayed and maintained a gap from both behind and ahead.

This then allowed me to come home with my first 200+ points finish in P2. To say I was ecstatic is understating it. Obviously one-and-done, and I'm hoping I can get a good result with the Yaris at Fuji!
vlcsnap-2021-04-26-20h53m09s817.png

In the first try I committed the blunder of the century by forgetting to pit for the right tires after leading in early laps. I pitted again and paid dearly for it (rather than getting hit with tire penalties).

So I did a 2nd try and it was better although I didn't lead a single lap: I ended up 5th, after tire penalties (finished 8th on the road, IIRC - there was also a last corner collision to which someone got a 3-second collision penalty, which also I took advantage of).

So I entered the Toyota race with my tail firmly between my legs without much expectation.

Door 14, B/S lobby ~ 26.5K DR, 135 points to win, Q11, P6

I was torn on strategy but decided to start on the hards and ran 9H/9S. In hindsight I should have gone longer on the softs and would have probably had a top 5 at least, but I usually can't save tires. Crazy start, with 3 and 4 wide racing but it all seemed pretty clean and fair as most appeared to understand it was a long game kind of race.

In the end I scored 107 points and more importantly a little confidence boost and 800 DR back after what hasn't been a great week on the game.

Lap 1, 4 wide into turn 2(?). We all survived!
View attachment 1006889

Also lap 1 into the corkscrew, but only 3 wide this time.
View attachment 1006890

Last lap pass taking full advantage of the soft tires:
View attachment 1006892

We'll take the result and move on from here!
View attachment 1006893

I was in this race also, Door #20, Q'd 10th and finished 7th behind you. That's a beautiful picture of you passing me entering the Corkscrew. Good luck in your next race.

Is it just me, or is the Yaris more twitchy on slicks than when it's on Sports tyres.
I dunno, I just always assume it is trying to kill me and do donuts and drive with that assumption. This car also hates weight transfer of any kind.

Edit: disco'd at matchmaking. Night done. I cant wait up for this garbage to work. Anyone who made it in keep it on the black and good luck

Last edited:
Back