Toyota Gazoo Racing GT Cup Returns for 2021 With a New Name and New Cars

• Thread starter The359
  • 244 comments
Rounds 2 and 3 of the GR Cup could not have gone more differently for me.

Round 2, Slot 1, 3rd Split NA
Despite being with a ton of A+ people, I decide to qualify alone, and it paid off as I was able to get Q3. What followed was a mix of luck, as I made several mistakes that may have cost a victory, but many other people made costlier mistakes which let me keep my position.

Still though, I got my best points finish of any FIA race from this round, so while I wish I could've gotten the victory, the results were still very good.
vlcsnap-2021-06-02-18h54m28s293.png

Round 3, Slot 1, 2nd Split NA
Participation was very low for this race as I was Door #1 at 48k DR in an all A room worth 210 points. Given that I heard Top Split was a ghost town, I'm assuming this was 2nd split then, and what a disaster it was. I was with @HaydenFan69 and some other familiar faces.

I had a scruffy quali lap and decided to take a 2nd lap, only for that lap to not be faster due to not having enough overtake left, so I qualified in Q13 I believe. I start on Hards and bin it on T1 by running wide into the succ astroturf and then get spun by other people attempting to rejoin, dropping me to last. In my bid to recover positions, I overcooked it going into the Hairpin and went into the gravel, and I received a 1 second time penalty for contact with the person in front despite them not getting punted nor me gaining any advantage. So, I recovered only to P14 for 96 points.

Round 3, Slot 2, 1st Split NA
I decide I have nothing to lose, and since I don't plan on participating in the final round at Bathurst nor this upcoming round at the Nurburgring because I'm not good at those tracks, and I'm historically terrible at Interlagos regardless of the class and car, I needed a better points finish for when 3 rounds get counted. And I find myself in Top Split for 271 points. Great. Plenty of familiar faces though at least.

I managed to qualify 8th, not making the same mistake of trying to go for a 2nd lap and went all-in on my one flying lap, and I think it paid off. With faster people ahead and behind, I wanted a Top 10 finish, and to do that, I knew I didn't have the raw pace or tire-saving skills that other people in this room had, so I decided to try strategy. I started on Hards.

The strategy seemed to be paying off as I was able to maintain track position as people tussled, only for an idiot to decide to make 130R three-wide. Guess who was on the outside? I lose traction and momentum trying to not spin on the succ astroturf and get passed by around 6 cars, and through the esses I get absolutely abused by people trying to force an overtake. I drop back to last again, and only recover to 12th for 149 points. I know a Top 10 was possible had people not made such desperate and stupid lunges.

So, I'm checked out of the GR Cup for a while since I'm not participating in Round 4, and Round 5 isn't until July. Good luck to everyone racing this Sunday!

Going into TOYOTA GAZOO Racing GT Cup 2021 round 3 we aren't expecting much maybe a top 10 finish, we weren't doing so hot in practice and last time we were at Suzuka Circuit in a Super formula it didn't end well.
And than it happen, We qualify in the First row, Somehow we Q p2. So we were in panic mode and this has become a race of damage limitation, trying not to lose to many POS and also not bottling it. surprisingly we did good, we survive

See you all next round Nürburgring 24 in the 2000GT "67 :nervous:

Completely forgot about the race. Just missed it by 6 minutes. :lol: I'll probably get disco'd at 20:30 anyway. We'll see.

Edit: Not for nothing, but it doesn't have to be chaotic. There's really nothing to be gained with these series, at this stage of the game. Getting a win, finishing last or disconnected. Just drive.

Last edited:
Completely forgot about the race. Just missed it by 6 minutes. :lol: I'll probably get disco'd at 20:30 anyway. We'll see.

Edit: Not for nothing, but it doesn't have to be chaotic. There's really nothing to be gained with these series, at this stage of the game. Getting a win, finishing last or disconnected. Just drive.

Tell that to those that take sim racing too seriously.

Hopefully this goes slightly better than yesterday

Edit:
Wasn't the strongest lobby I've been in and I managed to put it P6 with a pretty safe lap (though there was only a couple of tenths separating like 4 of us). Survived the start and it was just follow the car in front for the most part, got a penalty at the bridge which cost me 1 position and then made a mistake partway through the 2nd lap. Luckily the cars ahead also made some mistakes which gifted me a couple of positions and in the end it was P4.
Wasn't the most exciting of races but I enjoyed driving it.

PS_App_20210606_053529.jpeg
PS_App_20210606_053537.jpeg
PS_App_20210606_053543.jpeg

Last edited:
Had a good race in OZ this morning, Q3 came 3rd. All nice and clean if a bit boring.
Tonight I rage quit race C again so am B/A and in a room with 2 B/As and the rest are all Ds. Got 9 mins to decide if I'll just try last to first. At the back, going to try Q, but if I'm not getting 1st I'll quit. First check up 2.5 and just at straight over 3, end of straight over 7 so he'd had a pen and I get an easy pole.
Well glad I did that as that was a great race, never more than 5 secs difference and just won with a 1.121 gap. Only 20 points so not worth it for that, but enjoyed the race nevertheless.

I think I spotted a clean driver in that USA round, but I doubt it. Not even talking about rough passes, everyone was trying to push everyone else off the track. Totally pointless playing this game sometimes.

Well that was fun. Shame my pace through the GP section was just embarrassing. @afc5150 had a run and got a nice pass on me for me to promptly run into the back of him in the next corner. Thankfully he didn’t visit the lengthy kitty litter section at that corner, but a bit bad on my part. So he scampered away through the Nordschleife and I just had a nice Sunday cruise until one of the boys he was racing got off course and joined me a few seconds further behind. Got around him when he boo boo’d again. He says good race afterwards, and it was. But I knew I was holding him up big time on that second lap.

But qualified a respectable 11 seconds off pole in 7th. And that is where I ended up (in part to dirty drivers causing a crash literally a quarter mile from the Finish line). I’m happy. I’m going to have a few beers (because that’s what you do after a day of vintage car racing), and be happy with my day.

Last edited:
That was both really good and really bad.

Must have been low participation tonight in slot 1 as I was assigned door #17 at ~35.8K DR and was in the same lobby as @HaydenFan69 with door #4 at ~42K DR. But nice to see him and quite a few other friendly faces scattered throughout. Not so nice was seeing the #1 dirty guy around and one of his wannabe challengers in the lobby as well.

I had initially targeted a podium in this race, but quickly reassessed the situation and was aiming for a top 5. I didn't help my cause by having a pretty substantial off on my hot lap that cost me around 5 seconds. Still good enough for 8th on the grid, 10 seconds down but behind the two filthy dudes starting in 3rd and 4th.

Lap 1, clean start for all it seemed but @HaydenFan69 had a small bobble in T2 and I was able to get by. No worries about the tap into the hairpin, I did brake a tad early. Entered the Nord in 7th place in a tight battle, managed to hold position. Lots of clean racing from 6th through 10th it looked like.

Lap 2 started with dirty #2 punting dirty #1 at T1. Problem was, he didn't really do that good of a job and just put the guy back just ahead of the battle I was involved in. I made a nice double pass heading onto the Nord, as the 2 ahead got a little tangled up in the chicane. Spent the lap watching the shenanigans up ahead hoping and thinking there was going to be some carnage and I might get a place or 2.

Was up to 6th when we hit the second Karousel when 7th pushed me out of the way to take the spot. Despite my frantic headlight flashing, he wasn't interested in giving the spot back on the straight. He said sorry after the race, so that makes it alright, I guess??

It all goes off on the last series of corners as Dirty #1 plays his Gandalf role of "You shall not pass!" and of course I get caught up in it. Lucky to not get a penalty, and even got my 6th place back to score a season best 151 points. Gained 750 DR ~36.6K DR.

Sucks to be in lobbies with the same filthy drivers over and over again. But great to be in clean, tight fights with like-minded guys racing hard and fair.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210606212617.jpg

Clean fight with HaydenFan, thanks for the race! :gtpflag:

20210606222829.jpg

20210606222836.jpg

Double pass early on lap 2:

20210606222929.jpg

When in doubt, go flat out:

20210606222904.jpg

Full compression for maximum grip:

20210606222851.jpg

Sequence of dirty#1 in the silver #7 doing what he does.

20210606222936.jpg

20210606222943.jpg

20210606222951.jpg

20210606222958.jpg

That's no cool of players have been disconnected for most of those races.
Dont know if the Asia servers have been having the same problems, but since it seems pretty bad in Oceania, EMEA and Americas I can't imagine they are doing any better.

That's not cool if players have been disconnected for most of those races.
I had also been disconnected while trying to enter round 4 of the TGR GT Cup. Now it's time for me to look forward to enter round 5 in order to atone for this.

This the First Round of Toyota GR Cup and Our first race at Laguna Seca. I skipped GT2000 At N24 after round of pain in the Manu Series -_-

Back