Toyota GR86 Coming to Gran Turismo Sport on July 8

An improvement from the previous Toyota 86, but still I think it's underpowered and with poor torque. It is also heavier than the previous one, an unimpressive 1350kg... Oh well, at least in the game we can upgrade it...
Also, I say "another japanese junk" because, rather than another freaking Toyota, I'd have other cars, for example, some Lotus model, which we've had none in GTS and I missed them a lot.
Calling the GR86 "Japanese Junk" undermines any credibility you might have hoped to have.

Calling the GR86 "Japanese Junk" undermines any credibility you might have hoped to have.
The fact he had to make THAT broadsweeping comment over:

• 1 Japanese Manufacterer's car (Not two or three, 1)
  • Not having the car he wanted (even listing a make that its already been indicated as having licensing issues, hence the removal of said brand after the Closed beta)
  • In a game

He really do be mad.

Last edited:
Because you say so lmao.
The fact he had to make THAT broadsweeping comment over:

• 1 Japanese Manufacterer's car (Not two or three, 1)
  • Not having the car he wanted (even listing a make that its already been indicated as having licensing issues, hence the removal of said brand after the Closed beta)
  • In a game

He really do be mad.
No u mad lol
For me it's junk for the game standards... in real life of course is a nice car
Don't like my opinion? Ok keep bitching about it, you are free, I'll still post it

Seven colours: Sapphire Blue, Bright Blue, Spark Red, Crystal Black Silica, Magnetite Gray Metallic, Ice Silver Metallic, Crystal White Pearl
View attachment 1066235

Comparing the GT86 silhouette, I'd say the GT86 looks more LFA and Toyota-like. The GR86 looks very much like a Cayman(maybe Boxster) or Porsche-like. Fits the flat-engine theme. 😉
View attachment 1066239
View attachment 1066240
View attachment 1066241

We have rear fog light. 😉
View attachment 1066242
View attachment 1066243
The new model is more beautiful ;)

I have been playing with it on the Autopolis International Racing Course and having a good time. I don't think it is that bad of a car - looking forward to racing it.

No u mad lol
For me it's junk for the game standards... in real life of course is a nice car
Don't like my opinion? Ok keep bitching about it, you are free, I'll still post it
You said this about the car having not driven it in the game and before it even arrived in the game and mentioned not having other cars in the game. You are leaning far more in the direction of being mad, especially jumping on the "it's my opinion" bandwagon simply after I call you out for, and I cannot stress this enough, making this statement before the car even arrived in the game. Which then leaves two questions: What standards? Have you even driven it?

Last edited:
I have been playing with it on the Autopolis International Racing Course and having a good time. I don't think it is that bad of a car - looking forward to racing it.
Definitely. In game, it feels solid as is virtually possible for simulating the driving characteristics. Dive, squat, pitching/yaw, it's all very minimal compared to the GT86. It's closer to the GRMN 86.

Another thing about its shape. Seeing how it looks more MR than long nose FR, as the GT86 looks, maybe that attributes to its balance. The GR86 appears more cab forward. I don't know if it's true on paper, but the way it looks, might be giving me that vibe when I drive it.

Last edited:
You said this about the car having not driven it in the game and before it even arrived in the game and mentioned not having other cars in the game. You are leaning far more in the direction of being mad, especially jumping on the "it's my opinion" bandwagon I simply call you out for, and I cannot stress this enough, making this statement before the car even arrived in the game. Which then leaves two questions: What standards? Have you even driven it?
This is gonna be very similar (barely an upgrade) to the toyota 86, which i know quite well, and I consider it a bit junk so pretty sure this is gonna be similar.
I suggested something like Lotus would be way better for the sake of variety, we have plenty of toyotas and specifically 86 variants now. Zero Lotus. Licensing issues? Ok then they should try to fix those issues.
Besides all that, I can say whatever I want. Problem?

Last edited:
Went and bought all 7 colours of the car and got some mileage on each one. Quite liking this actually, nice and easy to drive. Looks pretty good too!

Then made some basic liveries with wheels and plates keeping original paint chips, and a TRD style one to match the TRD Yaris I did a while back!
7071293545410199556_0.jpg
7062286335550160900_0.jpg

Last edited:
This is gonna be very similar (barely an upgrade) to the toyota 86, which i know quite well, and I consider it a bit junk so pretty sure this is gonna be similar.
I suggested something like Lotus would be way better for the sake of variety, we have plenty of toyotas and specifically 86 variants now. Zero Lotus. Licensing issues? Ok then they should try to fix those issues.
Besides all that, I can say whatever I want. Problem?
Well now that the update is out, lets see if that opinion remains the same.

No problem with having an opinion but still under the impression "Japanese Junk" is a hell of a way to describe one car (in a Japanese game no less) and leans far more into Hot takes then anything else without actually giving it a shot.

LOL. We'll never see those. Bet PD drops the Lexus version of the 86 though.
I'm actually baffled as to why PD didn't bother putting the new BRZ in the game at the same time. It's built on the same assembly line, Toyota owns a good chunk of Subie, & the new BRZ looks like an updated version of the old car, while the GR86 looks like a whole new design. The tail lights on the "baby Supra" are very generic looking to me. And I drive in 3rd person view, so I'm going to see them a lot.

Oops. The Subaru website was still showing the 2020 model. The 2022 model is looking so damn close the the GR86, yeah it's not worth the time to change the badges.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It feels easier and lighter to use than the GT86.
Drives real nice. Feels like less body roll and stronger brakes than the GT86.
I was going to agree, less body roll. That helps it feel closer to a Gr. 4 car than the old GT86. It handles quite well, even on the default SH tires.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you add tire decals in Photoshop?

Last edited:
Well now that the update is out, lets see if that opinion remains the same.

No problem with having an opinion but still under the impression "Japanese Junk" is a hell of a way to describe one car (in a Japanese game no less) and leans far more into Hot takes then anything else without actually giving it a shot.
You will know there has always been this problem with GT series, being a japanese game franchise, they have japanese car bias (too many of them, and sometimes being OP or too fast compared to non japanese) although in the case of GTS, it seems the performance bias isn't there anymore.

You will know there has always been this problem with GT series, being a japanese game franchise, they have japanese car bias (too many of them, and sometimes being OP or too fast compared to non japanese) although in the case of GTS, it seems the performance bias isn't there anymore.
I wouldn't refer to it as a "problem" but simply a "tendency" or a "idiosyncracy". It's not problematic to have a bias towards Japanese cars. It's just a thing to work around.

Which, I believe this game is more european biased. More Europe brands(28) than America and Asia-Pacific combined(22). The Toyota partnership just seems like it's japan biased to some people. They've got a total of 28 cars to choose from. Double what Ferrari have.

Love the new car - can actually achieve power oversteer coming out of corners now! Very simililar to the old car, super light and fun to drive ten tenths car. Both understeer if you enter the corner with too much speed, but it seems like the new car reaches the limit a bit sooner. Could be a combination of the minimal extra weight and carrying SOOO much more speed into the corners 😂

Made a compilation of my time spent in VR at Tsukuba and the Nordschleife. Looks great with the BBS wheels.

So what's the general feelings on the new Toyota? Looks like there was some pretty tight racing at Autopolis over the weekend so I can only assume some of you guys managed to enjoy it. Keen to hear people's thoughts!

I don't have any idea how this car or any 99.99% drive. I had owned only a Autobianchi Abarth when young , driven some peugeot , clio , bettle....... But i can say that PD don't care how any new car handle in the game. Most are horrible with stock settings. GT86 '21 is not bad. Others , since GTsport launch are just weird to drive in the game. It seems that they spend 99.9% of the time modeling , it's perfect in term of plastic , but for 0.01% time rarelly good talking about driving sensation.
In my opinion , they still have a lot of work to match any car's behaviors in the game. Brand's real testers would have to put a seal on any car in GT.

I don't have any idea how this car or any 99.99% drive. I had owned only a Autobianchi Abarth when young , driven some peugeot , clio , bettle....... But i can say that PD don't care how any new car handle in the game. Most are horrible with stock settings. GT86 '21 is not bad. Others , since GTsport launch are just weird to drive in the game. It seems that they spend 99.9% of the time modeling , it's perfect in term of plastic , but for 0.01% time rarelly good talking about driving sensation.
In my opinion , they still have a lot of work to match any car's behaviors in the game. Brand's real testers would have to put a seal on any car in GT.
I feel it's because FIA and Toyota Cups are too much the focus of this game. And that messes up the BOP by making the standard versions of the cars less important. Any competitive driver would probably just stick to the Gr. 3 & 4 cars and ignore the stock version unless happens to come up in a race.

I don't understand the logic of going through all the work of modelling a realistic car then applying BOP, pretend tire wear and gas consumption for most of the races.

Having said that. I still have a good time in the cars. And I like watching the FIA/Toyota races, as I think talent still prevails.

Back