Toyota Reveals 86 Successor: GR 86

According to the figures, the 2022 BRZ is now less fuel-efficient than its predecessors, whether you're buying one with a manual stick shift or with an automatic slushbox. The BRZ is now rated at 25/21/30 (combined/city/ highway) in miles per gallon for the automatic version, while the manual version is rated at 22/20/27 mpg.

In comparison, the 2020 BRZ was rated at 27/24/33 mpg for the automatic, while the manual registered 24/21/29 mpg – both more efficient by at least 2 mpg than their new counterparts. The numbers for the GR 86 aren't out yet, but they will likely be the same as the BRZ's, as was the case with their predecessors.

Matt Farah was finally able to get his video up after losing his luggage

Seems like all the initial impressions are quite positive. Can't wait to see the real reviews

One of the most commonly asked questions is what separates the Toyota GR 86 from the Subaru BRZ. That’s understandable as the cars were jointly developed and are largely identical.

However, there are an assortment of changes that give each model its own unique identity. While the styling differences are obvious, there’s more happening underneath the skin.

As chief engineer Yasunori Suezawa explained, “Initially, we were trying to realize the driving taste for both GR 86 and BRZ, only by differentiating the specifications of the absorber setting and power steering setting.” However, that was eventually expanded to include unique front knuckles, springs, stabilizers, bushings and ECU software.

Suezawa summed things up by saying Toyota focused on engine response, while Subaru focused more on comfort. However, he noted both cars have great handling even though the changes allow them to have their own “unique taste in response and power.”

46 more HP and 45 more torques to the wheels compared to the previous 86 based on the dyno in the above video 👍

"Because the car is a Subaru, it must be as reliable as it is thrilling."

Narrator: It drove like a bus.

BRZ STI Performance Concept

I doubt they'll do an STI version of the BRZ much like how they never did one for the first generation. This is probably just available parts from STI

1642139788791.png

1642139794579.png

1642139799366.png

Didn’t they decide that this car and its Subaru sibling wasn’t coming to the European market? The GR86 has now appeared with price tags on Toyota’s local websites in some European countries. 🤔

Not complaining though, although it seems to have replaced the Supra in my country.

I came across this while on a drive Tuesday. I found where he lost it, looks like he came around a right hand corner too fast and lost the rear. Then over corrected and fired it into a guard rail.

20220705_160332.jpg

In depth look at the suspension differences between the BRZ and the GR86

It has similar information to the Savage Geese video in post 104, though this one does give the weight savings up front. His observation that the BRZ is a better daily driver lines up with what they mentioned on the SG video. Subaru focused on improving daily driver comfort as more of it's buyers use it as the only car versus Toyota.

I feel like literally every single enthusiast car ever built has something like this happen.

I follow a new BRZ owner on instagram and he had his checked "just in case". Oil pickup was 60% covered. He's also been sharing posts from other people that had theirs checked, with the same result. Toyota (more likely Subaru since they build the engines) has a problem they need to sort out.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back