Trial Mountain Enduro- The Write Up

• Thread starter RVDNuT374
  • 0 comments
United States
Manning, SC
Pre Race Commentary

Here's your partially insane race announcer RVD to provide coverage of the 2 hrs of Trial Mountain Enduro sponsored by PD and Sony. Since this enduro doesn't allow mods except tires and oil, the race should be close. I knew that my car of choice wouldn't be enough to take on the NSX, so I reloaded until I got a field w/out it. Here's the AI field I drew:

1. Nissan Skyline GT-R Vspec II (R34)
2. Toyota Supra RZ
3. Mazda RX-7 Type RZ
4. Subaru Impreza WRX STi
5. Mistubishi Lancer Evolution VII RS

With this shaping up to be a very competitive race, my Audi was ready to go w/ T2 tires and fresh oil. The weather's perfect for racing, w/ temps in the low 70's and mostly sunny skies. :) Let's go racing!

Race Report

Once the green flag dropped, the R34 Skyline opened up a massive 12 sec lead early on due to his softer tire selection. My car got up to 2nd place by the end of lap 2, showing that it would be quick the whole race. After the Skyline pitted, I carried a 7 sec lead over the Supra. But the Skyline quickly took back 2nd place and was closing rapidly before having to pit on lap 8. The car's radio should be turning on soon to help me focus. I made my first pit stop of the day on lap 13 just as the right front tire was starting to turn orange. After my pit stop, I dropped back to 3rd, nearly 10 sec behind the Supra. But he should be in for a pit stop within the next few laps. Coming out of the canyon, I passed the RX7 for 2nd. As expected, the Supra pits at the end of lap 15 handing the lead back to me.

An exciting battle is shaping up for the lead as the RX7 just passed the leading Audi S4. The race looks to be very competitive so far, but we're still a long way from the checkered flag. Me and the RX7 are currently locked in a great battle for the top spot. Around lap 19, I passed the RX7 to reclaim the lead. The interval back to the RX7 is about 3 sec as his tires have started to fall off. After the RX7's first scheduled pit stop, he's now 23 sec back @ T1. After exiting the pits, the Impreza cut right into the Audi's path and forced him to slam on the brakes. My crew is going down to the Subaru's pit to "discuss" that incident. ;) I hope this doesn't turn into a Tony Stewart/Kasey Kahne deal where the crews beat the hell out of each other. :lol: That damn Subaru just bounced off the canyon into my Audi's path again! Now the GTA (Gran Turismo Association) is warning the Subaru not to pull that stunt again. As I pull into the pits, it is a sight of relief as the Audi and Subaru teams are not pulling a Kasey Kahne/Tony Stewart stunt. :lol: I've opened up a 21.7xx sec lead over the RX7 as lap 37 begins. My 3rd scheduled stop is coming up in 2 laps and the RX7 will be right up my tailpipe by the time I get back up to speed. Now the Lancer Evo just bounced off the canyon right into the front of my Audi.

Pit reporters are now saying that there's a massive brawl going on between the Audi, Subaru, and Mitsubishi crews. The GTA is trying to break it up but they're seriously outnumbered. I guess I'll have to change my own tires unless the pit crews stop brawling. :lol: I just drove by pit road and there's people fighting everywhere! One guy from the Mitsubishi team tried to stop my car by attempting to jump in the middle of the track, but a last second change saved him and the front of the S4. :P
I just pulled into the pits for my 3rd stop and what do I see? Massive chaos has erupted as now every team's going at it. I'll have to watch it while changing my tires. :lol: Incredibly I got all 4 tires changed even though 5 guys came at me w/ socket wrenches attempting to bash my brains in. :scared: Commentators and spectators are calling this the biggest pit road brawl of all time. Now the GTA is getting serious **** for not trying to break up the pandemonium. They've called for 200 National Guard soldiers to try and break it up before anyone gets seriously injured or killed. The Evo VII just pulled into his pits only to be greeted by the S4 team loaded w/ wrenches. He better get out quick before my team destroys their car. This massive brawl that started 7 laps ago appears to be coming to an end as the National Guard has just arrived. No reports on casualties yet, but early estimates have the figures at 30 people injured. This will certainly go down as a race to never forget. ;)

Due to my 4th pit stop, the RX7 is now only 22.1 sec back, with a real chance of closing even more when i make my final stop. The RX7's chances at catching have evaporated as he is now over 29 sec back w/ only 23 min remaining. My final pit stop brings my lead down to just 18.1 sec. But w/ 1 more pitstop for the RX7, I should win by about 40 sec unless the Audi blows up or the AI get super powers. As I came around the final chicane, all 92,000 people were on their feet as RVD wins the 2 Hrs Of Trial Mountain! :D

Pit Stops

R34 Skyline GT-R Vspec II- every 4 laps
Supra RZ- 15, 30, 45, 60
Mazda RX7 Type RZ- 23, 46, 69
Subaru Impreza WRX STi- every 8 laps
Lancer Evolution VII RS- every 5 laps
Audi S4 (me)- 13, 26, 39, 52, 65

Race Results

1. Audi S4 (me)- 2:00'32.820 sec 71 laps
2. Mazda RX7 Type RZ- 2:01'14.690 sec 71 laps
3. Supra RZ- 2:01'26.568 sec 71 laps
4. R34 Skyline GT-R Vspec II- 2:00'23.577 sec 70 laps
5. Impreza WRX STi- 2:01'28.031 sec 69 laps
6. Lancer Evo VII RS- 2:01'41.478 sec 68 laps

Fastest Lap- 1:38.797 (Lap 55)
Average Lap- 1:41.871

Post Race Thoughts

The Audi S4 handled fairly well through the race w/ understeer showing up at the end of a tire run. Through 2 hrs and 71 laps, I put 173.5 miles on the car. This race would've been a lot closer if the AI didn't slam the wall exiting the canyon 90% of the time. For my effort, I recieved 150,000 credits and a red S2000 LM Race Car. About the result of the pit road brawl, incredibly noone was killed, although several had serious injuries. Overall, this was a fun race for the first hour then got boring after that. Until next time GTP, don't act out anything you do in San Andreas. ;)

Back