• Thread starter Kent
  • 2,497 comments

Kent

Retired
Staff Emeritus
United States
Southern Louisiana
GTP_Kent
This is a directory of Tuner Car Garages built and tuned by various members of the GTP.

Post your tuned car and link it in your garage, then allow other members to comment on or "grade" the submission.

• Only Normal Cars and Concept Cars may be used.
  • All modifications are allowed.
  • Submissions should be posted in this thread, labeled, and displayed as well as possible.
  • Garages will be linked in this post (PM me if your garage doesn't appear).
  • You must link your cars to your garage on your own.

The Garages
[/b]

After considering the response to my interest check thread, I have decided to leave this as an open-ended subject.
The idea here is to create a tuned car that other members may be interested to use.

Get creative and have fun!

I'd like to elaborate on a few subjects...

First off,
Please try to grasp the idea that this is not a settings contest. We already have that here on the GTP.
This is an event to showcase the cars individual users have created as contestants in HP specific classifications.

In some cases your settings may not matter as much as the car you've picked and in other cases your parts list may be more important than the car on which they are equipped.

This is a chance for you to show that your favorite cars can be tuned to feel better, and race faster than the competition.
Are you a firm believer that a 400HP Supra is "better" than a 400HP Skyline? Well this is your chance to make your case. 👍

With that in mind, I'd like to mention that the weight of cars will not be regulated. If you wish to run a PWR that is worse than the competition it doesn't matter since the overall speed of the car is not as important as the feel.

Likewise, the power of the car does not need to be maxed out to the limit of the class. If we ran something like a 100HP class, there are no doubts in my mind that a 64HP car could stand-out and possibly take the title as best 100HP car.

Btw, those are hypothetical examples of HP classes, they do not necessarily represent actual HP classes that will be used. :mischievous:

More than anything else I want to stress this...
These events will be about showcasing cars that users believe should have been included in the game.

I've always wanted to see the Amuse Supra, Techno Spirits MR-S, and Esprit NSX. Do you think you can create something to go in place of the void GT4 made when they left cars like these out of the game?

Sounds indeed very interesting Kent 👍 ,nice idea ;)

So if I get it right, you give us either a limitation on tires and/or HP or classes, and we have to build or own version like we like it the best or how it should drive best?

Long ago, back when I still had Team Toyota, we did a project car, the Supra TTS, 335 HP which went the Nurb round faster then an M3 👍

Something like this?

Seems like you've got it right...

I'm going to provide the tires and hp limit. Everything else is up to the tuner and the goal is to create a car that will feel the best to the judges.

All elements the judge wishes to consider will be acceptable so that lap times will not be the key to the judge's decision.

I would like to see a situation where a slower car can win the event based on the way it feels (or should I say "handles").

In any case, it looks like you've got it right and as time goes on I will continue to supply more and more detailed mission statements. :D

If you go through with this count me in as a tuner. I would love to participate in something like this.

However I am concerned that diving styles and techniques will dertermine what cars are better then others. What if one judge likes oversteer and another likes a neutral car. There are many different opinions on a great handling car so the judges will have to be able to appreciate and recognize the potential even if the car doesn't fit there unique driving style. :sly:

Okay, so you are saying that we pick a car, and tune it (Not fully, or full for that matter) And give it our own name, and edit some settings and things like that.
I'm interested, but how will the judging be, what will be the points where they judges will look at, is it Lap times, comparision or something else?

This sounds very interesting. I am guessing the answer to the driving styles is that you will kind of figure out what the judges like better. I am assuming the judges will be mostly the same people. Also in Best Motoring you will notice that often times one guy will rate the car high and others would rate it a little bit lower. Thats why it is beneficial to have more than one judge. I am not a good tuner at all or else I would be in. I am going to check in on this because I may become interested later on. Hmmm great idea though kent 👍

Well first off, I'm very happy to see people responding to this idea.
That said, I'd like to address some of the questions...

Specifically, I'd like to address the idea from this post...
However I am concerned that diving styles and techniques will dertermine what cars are better then others. What if one judge likes oversteer and another likes a neutral car. There are many different opinions on a great handling car so the judges will have to be able to appreciate and recognize the potential even if the car doesn't fit there unique driving style.

This is indeed an issue that needs to be addressed. However, I don't think it is a problem. :D

First off, keep in mind that the example provided elludes to the answer... The two judges will balance each-other out. 👍

However, on many occassions (and right now) I've said that having a "driving style" is a cop-out and merely holds drivers back from realizing the full potential of a car.
My rule of thumb...
Adapt your driving to the car, not the car to your driving.

That philosophy works perfectly since generalized racing philosophy suggest we should tune a car to match the track being raced and not the driver.

Now here-in lies the interesting part of this challenge.
You, the tuner, will be challenged to decide what tuning fits each course the best. In any case, the extremes should be avoided (extreme understeer or oversteer is rarely a good thing).

That said, each tuner will have the chance to decide if they would like a car to drive with slight understeer, oversteer, or nuetrality. The smarter tuners will base that decision on the course, not the driver. 👍

So basically, the "driving style" of the judges shouldn't exist in the first place but if there is a style present, hopefully the judges selected will be experienced enough to evaluate a car without serious bias and if a bias is shown, it will most likely be balanced by a judge with an opposite opinion.

For the sake of an example I will look at the Nurburgring (a course that we most likely will not use)...
The Ring is a great spot to test your tuning skills. Too much understeer and you'll go off, too much oversteer and you'll spin. However, with the elevation changes and bumpy texture of the track it is generally safer to use a car with slight oversteer, nuetrality, or slight understeer before a car with moderate or strong oversteer.
So if we did go to the Ring, I would expect a car to be balanced and fitted to the course's unique characteristics.
Any tuner who would set a car for major oversteer on the Ring is clearly not acknowledging the difficult nature of the Ring's hills and bumps, so chances are, that tuner would not score as highly as a tuner who set the car for slight oversteer, nuetrality, or slight understeer.

And just to re-enforce this idea... One of my favorite runs was the completely stock SLR on N2s at the Ring. Not because there was slight understeer, but because I was the only driver in the challenge who would adapt to drive the SLR properly instead of trying to tame it like the Zonda and Ford GT that were running a close second. :sly:

I hope that in a challenge like this everyone will do their jobs... Hopefully the tuners will tune the cars to what they feel fits the course and hopefully the judges will drive the cars according to the course and car- not their desire to make everything fit into their style.

Once again though I stress, driving styles are weak excuses for not being able to drive a course properly... Style is for drifting in my opinion and not much else. :mischievous:
(that's not to say a "drifty" car couldn't do well in this challenge, it's just to say that a drifty car would have to be matched to a course that rewards drifting, such as Amalfi)

I'm lacking a PS2 at the moment but I can remember a few settings I've used - If settings for a wing count - and if this lack of overall tuning knowledge is ok i'd be happy to join.

However, on many occassions (and right now) I've said that having a "driving style" is a cop-out and merely holds drivers back from realizing the full potential of a car.
My rule of thumb...
Adapt your driving to the car, not the car to your driving....

Once again though I stress, driving styles are weak excuses for not being able to drive a course properly... Style is for drifting in my opinion and not much else. :mischievous: ...

Interesting comment indeed...

Driving style to me isn't so much the definition of the word style, but the layering of techniques that one exhibits in there driving. Personally I beleive that there are many ways to attack a corner. I also believe that there are many settings to go along with how you attack a corner.

Drivers of equally skilled levels can drive very different and still drive the same lines with slight variations. Powerslide, Drift, 4-wheel Drift, Grip are all ways to take a corner and each of them can be just as fast as the next. Then when you get even more specific like ways to initiate one of those techniques, there are even more options. Shift Lock, Feint, Brake Bias, Inertia, Power over are all ways to intiate the drift style of cornering, which can be just as fast as the complete oppisite, Grip driving, on any given corner.

Each style of driving has its trade-offs. Some being faster at corner entry, while the other is faster at corner exit.

So no matter the drivers skill, talent, or track choice a handling preference has already been predetermined even before tuning has started. Speed may be sacrificed in-turn.

For example, even on tracks like the Nurburgring, or Citti de' Aria I will set my cars up with moderate amounts of oversteer and a strong rear brake bias making avoiding oversteer totally impossible in most situations. Some may think of this as a dangerous setup, however I do it to avoid dangerous situations, because I am able to control the oversteer. You see when I enter a corner at the Ring to fast I use a slight amount of oversteer to return my car back to the racing line and out of harms way without sacrificing time. If I had a car that understeered even slightly or was even neutral I would have met the wall in the same turn situation. It is more versitile to me.

That is the fastest set-up for me, who has a very aggressive driving style, and high skill. For me and the car that is the fastest way around the track. Someone with the same skill as me with a less agressive driving style could still acheive the same lap time with a very different setup. Even if both of us adapted to each others cars like you said we still will think the other's car is rubbish, because it doesn't fit our style.

Good drivers adapt, but it doesn't mean they like it. :sly:

(sorry about lecturing on like so, but I was just trying to make a point that driving styles are a major part of the driving experience, and that even though there are numerous amounts of them the end results can still be very similar. If all the drivers are equally skilled of course :) )

I want to emphasize that this event would be the perfect chance for a tuner to show that "this car on this track, tuned like this, is the 'best' way to get around the track."
To make that happen, the Tuner is going to have to go with their gut and tune their car of choice to "feel good." With a wide selection of knowledge-able judges I am sure the event winners will all be worthy of their status.

Also, all entrants are welcome. :cheers:
I can see now that there will be atleast few willing to enter a car of their creation. I am looking forward to seeing how this works out.

May I ask you all... What HP categories would you like to see? I have an idea of what will be done but feedback is always welcome. Would you all care to sentimental HP marks like "280" or would you all rather see rounded numbers like 200 and 300? (just for example) :D

Attachments

• Kent_McLaren F1 Arcade_Nurbrugring_5'26.977.sps
    38.7 KB · Views: 76
Ok, this sounds like a pretty cool idea but to me it seems almost exactly like the Tuning Competition.

You say you want people to make the best feeling car for a certain track, which if understand correctly is the same thing you shoot for in the Tuning Competition. The only difference I see between the two is that instead of everybody tuning one car on a given track, the entrants get to choose their car of choice as long as they fit the requirements and limitations for the categories.

I’m not trying to attack your idea or anything like that; the two just seem similar to me and I wanted for you to clear that up.

Not taken as an attack in any way. :cheers:

This is in some way similar to the Tuning Competition.
But like you said, it's different.

The only 3 requirements or limitations are Track, Tires, HP- nothing else. 👍

See, in my opinion, this is more like a chance to prove that you know what the best ___HP car is or the best Ring car. Or maybe this is just a chance to show that one car is the best platform for tuning?

Originally, I was working with the idea of creating specific designs to create the equivalent of a Tuner Car for cars that don't have tuners (like the Supra, NSX, and Impreza).

There are many reasons I like the idea of this event and all of those reasons are exactly what seperates this event from the Tuning Competition.

Well then I'm all for this comp.👍

IMO you should go with nice round number hp limitations like 100, 200, 300,.....etc.

Is there also going to seperate tire categories like N1-N3, S1-S3, R1-R5, for each hp categorie. Like sport tire for 200 hp class and then a seperate class for 200hp cars with racing tires and so on...?

Well then I'm all for this comp.👍

IMO you should go with nice round number hp limitations like 100, 200, 300,.....etc.

Is there also going to seperate tire categories like N1-N3, S1-S3, R1-R5, for each hp categorie. Like sport tire for 200 hp class and then a seperate class for 200hp cars with racing tires and so on...?

Although I would love to see what the GTP could do with 200hp and R5s, I am inclined to run just one tire selection each week.

Splitting up the HP limits into several tire classes could really ruin the turn-out in each class.
However, this does make me wonder if I should allow different tires within each class... As in... ____HP and S tires instead of _____hp and S2 tires.

Thanks for the helpful words LOON, +rep given.

I'm in. I think that obscure power limits would be a good idea, such as 105hp, 223hp, 365hp, 454hp and the such like. It would make it interesting to see what cars are used.

xjr-9

originally posted by Kent
Although I would love to see what the GTP could do with 200hp and R5s, I am inclined to run just one tire selection each week.

Splitting up the HP limits into several tire classes could really ruin the turn-out in each class.
However, this does make me wonder if I should allow different tires within each class... As in... ____HP and S tires instead of _____hp and S2 tires.

Thanks for the helpful words LOON, +rep given.

Wow, thanks for the +rep.👍

I was hoping you weren't going to split it up like the example I gave, because I agree it would probaly would have completely ruined turn out.

I was thinking you could make it so cars with 0-200hp had to use tire N1-N3, less horse power cars don't need as good of tires. Then 200-400hp cars had to use sports tires and cars 400+ hp had to use racing tires, or something along those lines.

Well Loon, I can ensure you that my tire selection for each race will certainly be based on what would fit and not just what I like the most.
Of course, even in a worst case scenerio you'd be alright since I don't really preffer any type of tire over another.
N, S, R, I enjoy all of them and recognize the differences well enough to see that certain classes of cars will not race well on certain types of tires.

Then again, I did enjoy the 1700+kg/600+hp SLR on N2s. :mischievous: :lol:

Not to worry though, I'll do my best to make sure the event is well designed. :cheers:

No specifics, they don't even need to be Japanese!
As long as they have less than or an equal amount of HP as the class limit the car will be legal.

Alright, well it's Sunday now and that means I'm set on a new phase of organization...

All Members or Moderators interested in Judging entries should PM me as soon as possible.

The First stage of the Event will be posted very soon and one week from the posting will be the deadline for judge applications.

All applicants as tuners need only to watch for the posting of the first stage here in the GT4 forums. Once event stage 1 has been posted you will be free to submit "User Created Tuners" or "UCTs" according to the direction provided in the stage 1 thread.

Hope to see you all there... Until I've got thing finalized for posting...
Later. :cheers:

Btw, Luxy, there is most definately going to be a place for that super polo... Man that's an awesome Polo!

This has been done a few times before, and it always ends up being lots of fun. Count me in!

I already have a bunch of Touge Showdown replicas.lol Anyone want to see the Seeker EG6? Matchless Crowd Racing's R34 GT-R? Powerhouse Amuse's 350Z CSL?

I had another suggestion for the classes. How about an 'Old School' or 'Vintage' group? It could be a special challenge, since many of the older cars aren't as sophisticated or well-behaved and may be harder to tune. It could also contribute to the betterment of the tuning community, since it might force participants to broaden their horizons a bit.

originally posted by Kent
Each car submitted by a user will need...
An exact part's list, the exact settings used, a "user name" based car name (for the sake of the polls), and a picture wouldn't hurt either.

When we come up with names do we have name the cars after existing motorsport companys like an AutoBacs WRX or something or can we call it what we want like The LOON Racing WRX?

Back