Tuning help

Can someone help me out here? My Galant VR4 understeers way too much. These are my settings for my Suspension:

Spring Rate -- Front - 5.5 Rear - 4.3
Ride Height -- Front - 126 Rear - 128
Shock Bound -- Front - 8 Rear - 8
Shock Rebound -- Front - 8 Rear 8
Camber -- Front - 2.0 Rear - 1.0
Toe -- Front - 0 Rear - 0
Stabilizers -- Front - 4 Rear - 4
Weight Balance -- Ballast - 0 Front/Rear - 0

My mods are: Racing Exhaust, Sports Chip, S2 tires front and rear, Racing Intercooler, Racing Suspension, Driving Aids off, Stage 2 Weight Removal.

IHeartTurbo
Can someone help me out here? My Galant VR4 understeers way too much. These are my settings for my Suspension:

Spring Rate -- Front - 5.5 Rear - 4.3
Ride Height -- Front - 126 Rear - 128
Shock Bound -- Front - 8 Rear - 8
Shock Rebound -- Front - 8 Rear 8
Camber -- Front - 2.0 Rear - 1.0
Toe -- Front - 0 Rear - 0
Stabilizers -- Front - 4 Rear - 4
Weight Balance -- Ballast - 0 Front/Rear - 0

My mods are: Racing Exhaust, Sports Chip, S2 tires front and rear, Racing Intercooler, Racing Suspension, Driving Aids off, Stage 2 Weight Removal.

You can have a look on my (french) website for tuning tips.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/plmgt

All settings are GT3-based. But I hope it will work also in GT4

For a 4WD drive car on asphalt, I would propose the following:

Springs: Front: 11 - back 13
Ride hight: lower : (5 units from minimum in front; 10 units from minimum in back)
Bound: front 5 back 6 or 7
Rebound: front 6 back 7 or 8
Camber front 2,0 ; back 1,0 is ok
Toe: -1,0 in front, +0,5 in back (it turns better and the back is more stable)
Stabilisers: front lower than back: ex. 3-4 or 2-4, or 3-5 (try out)
Brakes: 15 front - 13 back
Don't use LSD: it will provoque understeer
TCS: 1
ASM : 0
VCD : 10% to the front (tries to emulate an FR driveability)

For dirt: make following changes:

Springs: front 6 back 5 (but your choice was probably good too)
Ride hight: 140 front 145 back (if possible if not: max out but with 5mm difference)
Bound: front 6 back 6 or 7 - 8 is too heavy
Rebound: both 6 or 7 (try out) - 8 is too heavy
Camber / too: take my asphalt settings
Stabilisers: 3-3 or 4-4
Brakes: don't change asphalt settings
VCD: between 20% and 30%

Let me know whether it works! (I don't yet have GT4, everything is based on my gt3 experience)

Make these changes to your suspension.

Spring Rate -- Front - 5.5 Rear - 4.3 (Higher both by 7)
Ride Height -- Front - 126 Rear - 128 ( 3 from minimum height)

Set your rear camber to 2.5 or 3.

TCS: 1 (set it to 0 if your an experienced driver. More fun are quicker lap times on some tracks)
ASM : 0
VCD : 10% to the front (tries to emulate an FR driveability)

Invest in LSD and just leave it as it comes. (Works wonders for 4 wheel drive cars ie Evo.)
Also get some clutch/driveshaft/flywheel gearbox up grades. Get the best gearbox and stage 2 clutch/flywheel.

These settings are based on GT3 aswell and so I have left out break settings and weight ballast.

stiffen the suspension in the rear and soften the suspension in the front. More rear camber, positive toe in the front and negative toe in the rear. I'm assuming you can also change the stabilizer bar settings. make it stiffer in the rear. This should remove understeer from the VR-4.

Why do people set up their AWD cars to emulate a FR car? why not just drive a FR car??? Driving an AWD car takes a different driving technique as opposed to driving an FR car... Both have their own advanatages and disadvantages...

Forgotten something in my yesterday reply: the gearbox can be important too: with a car that understeers, avoid to come out of corners with too much torque. I observed this while tuning a maxed-out FF Fiat Coupé: it was faster with a much too long gearbox (whith wich you could only use 5 gears) then with a shorter gearbox. Solution: don't take the autoset values and change the individual gears.

Here's my strategy:

-take a short autoset (the 4th or 5th starting from the left)
- adjust final (you must nearly redline in 6th at the end of the longuest straight)
- change individual gears as follows:
1st: as long as possible (glider completely at the left)
2nd: idem
3th: value in the middle of 2 and 4
4th: as short as possible
5th: idem
6th: don't touch

Tested this on many tracks and found out it helps. For acceleration (0-400 /0-1000m) it helps too.

Lownslow427
hmm i fixed my understeer issue bu adding weight to the rear

I don't know whether that is a good idea: it eliminates perhaps the understeer problem, (can't try itout, don't have GT4 yet) but normally it will make the car slower (worse power /weight coefficient).

Everything depends on what you want: a fast car, or a good handling car.

You can also eliminate understeer by worsening the grip in the back, but that too is not a good solution: you won't have no understeer anymore, but you won't have no grip at all, which is bad.

And rembember: you never won't be able to make a 4WD behave like a Lotus Elise.

cisobe
Why do people set up their AWD cars to emulate a FR car? why not just drive a FR car??? Driving an AWD car takes a different driving technique as opposed to driving an FR car... Both have their own advanatages and disadvantages...
Ugh, why does someone have to post this every single time a discussion like this comes up? A car must be setup to suit the driver, not the other way around. THAT is why people set them up like that.

What does it matter to you, anyhow?

There is a good reason why I try to "emulate" a FR behaving: 4WD understeer which slows them down. So, by sending less torque to the front wheels, I can accelerate faster. In consequence, on aphalt, I mostly send only 10% to the front wheels. On very powerfull cars, like the ZZ II, which has a power-on oversteer problem when it is 900 hp+ maxed out in GT3, I send more torque to the front wheels (15-20%) which eliminates the power-on oversteer problem.

By the way, I don't agree whith the idea that a car should be set up to suit the driver. A car should be set up to be fast. Of course, the driving style can have an influence. But the driver has to take notice of the nature of the car: whatever you do, a Lancer 4WD will never behave like a Motorsport Elise. Don't try to drive the Elise as if it was a Lancer: it won't work.

I agree with your statement. A real-life friend of mine is a chassis engineer who is also an amateur Club racer. He always sets his car up to the theoretical maximum and then alters his driving style to match it.

Off-topic to Pontiac Le Mans: Do you have one? I've got a '67 Le Mans convertible in my garage awaiting restoration. I've owned it since it was new (I was 2 at the time ;) ) and I gave it a fairly thorough restoration a little over 20 years ago. This time it needs the whole frame-off enchilada, which isn't in the financial cards at the moment. It's got 270,000 miles on it so it's paid its dues.

Duke
I agree with your statement. A real-life friend of mine is a chassis engineer who is also an amateur Club racer. He always sets his car up to the theoretical maximum and then alters his driving style to match it.

Off-topic to Pontiac Le Mans: Do you have one? I've got a '67 Le Mans convertible in my garage awaiting restoration. I've owned it since it was new (I was 2 at the time ;) ) and I gave it a fairly thorough restoration a little over 20 years ago. This time it needs the whole frame-off enchilada, which isn't in the financial cards at the moment. It's got 270,000 miles on it so it's paid its dues.

My father bought a six-cylinder Pontiac Le Mans in 1973, when I was nine. He kept it nine years, so when I got my driving licence, I could drive it several times especially when he was too drunk to drive :). The reward for not drinking from the whole evening was that I could drive the car back home. And it was quite a reward. Normally I had to drive my mothers 2CV.

In 1974 my parents made a big trip from Belgium to Lourdes and even to San Sebastian. On the road back they passe by Le Mans. So my father had the occasion to drive his Pontiac Le Mans on the Hunaudières, which was (as always when there are no races or testing days) open for traffic. Unfortunately, I wasn't with them.

It's nice to see there are still other persons who like this car.

gtacarmod
[Deleted by moderator]

Hi, what's the meaning of your reply. Do you just wan't to let us know that there is a new GT 4 forum (I had a look, it seems interesting), or do you wan't us to look a specific page where there is information concerning this particular post?

In any case, thanks for the link. I'll put it on the favorites on my website

Back