Turbo's Elantra Sport: SOLD!

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 336 comments
👍

Glad you finally got your hands on a new car. Should keep you busy for a while. :D

After the swaps and body work, are you planning on making the car looks new again, or are you going to make your own with other stuff added not offered originally?

Once you get it to a point that it has a manual and you start hooning it, be careful. I once drove Primera GT of this gen and it snapped driver side shaft.. A common problem with Primeras.

What the hecking heck is it? :lol: sorry, I had never seen one of these before. You only mention a Primera body swap so I gather it's not a Primera. What the hell is it?

Once you get it to a point that it has a manual and you start hooning it, be careful. I once drove Primera GT of this gen and it snapped driver side shaft.. A common problem with Primeras.
I've owned two B13 Sentra SE-R's, a 200SX SE-R and a 2000 Sentra SE (basically the SE-R for that year) all with basically the same engine. I know my way around them, hence why I was ok with buying this so cheap as I know how to work on them. 👍

What the hecking heck is it? :lol: sorry, I had never seen one of these before. You only mention a Primera body swap so I gather it's not a Primera. What the hell is it?

1995 Infiniti G20.

Edit: Just to clarify, converting it to a Primera takes nothing more than bumper, grill, badging and taillight swaps. The main difference is that it becomes a Nissan instead of an Infiniti. :)

Nissan_Primera_1990.jpg

Last edited:
Small update. I'm diving head first into a 5-speed swap here shortly, within the next couple weeks. Will update when the car is on the road.

Well I got some of the parts. After spending all day at the salvage yard trying to pull the engine wiring harness we ran out of time, so have to go back next weekend to get the transmission. They are charging me $400 for everything I need, which isn't a bad deal. Then I found a clutch/flywheel set on eBay for $200 shipped that I plan on using. It's an Exedy OEM replacement clutch kit (good) with an SFI certified 11lb chromoly steel flywheel. Shouldn't have an issue with it.

Getting it together, slowly.

Parts ordered today:

- Axles seals
- Rear main seal
- Left & Right Axles
- Clutch cable
- Exedy clutch kit
- 11lb steel flywheel

Just a few more parts to gather from the junk yard and we can get started. :)

The clutch/flywheel I ordered on friday, got a shipping notice on Saturday night and it arrived today. :dopey: Crazy fast FREE shipping. Not to mention the whole kit was a smokin deal at $217 shipped. Weighed the flywheel on my scale at 10.8 pounds. Next I have to get the cross member, all the mounts and some miscellaneous items and I should be able to start rocking on the install. Unfortunately because the car is currently an auto trans, I have to take the dashboard out to drill a hole in the firewall for the clutch cable, but doing so will make the pedals, ECU & wiring easy to install.

It'll still be a few weeks before she's on the road as my next check is rent, (perks of making crap money and living on your own) then the next one after that I should be able to get the rest of the parts I need and maybe get her insured & registered. 👍

Pics of everything tomorrow. :)

This weekend I'm going to get the transmission cleaned up and the seals on it replaced. Then hopefully next weekend I'll start pulling the dashboard out and getting the inside of the car finished.

Just ordered polyurethane mounts for the rear and driver side. Then an OEM mount for the right side. Also got polyurethane bushings for the shifter and shifter stabilizer.

Coming right along. :)

Hit a road block over the weekend. Apparently my car is OBD2 and the ECU and engine harness I got from the scrap yard are OBD1. So I can't use them. This swap has to be done to the T so I can pass emissions here in AZ. Cannot have a check engine light. So, I will be getting an OBD2 ECU from someone on the G20 forums this weekend, then need to source a new wiring harness.

In a more positive light, got all of the motor mounts pressed in and ready to go. Just need to purchase some final bits (clutch/flywheel bolts, fluids, etc) and we're ready to rock. :)

Got the OBD2 ECU and harness I needed. So, now that my first GT6 racing series is over with I can concentrate on the car starting with this weekend. (minus time for the Bathurst 12hr ;)) Also just sent paypal for clutch and flywheel bolts, so all I have left to purchase is fluid and a battery. Not looking forward to the work, but am looking forward to getting it done. LONG project and not many updates, but that's what happens when you make crap money and only have so much to spend on a monthly basis. :lol:

Knee deep in the swap now, got the dashboard most of the way out just need a special tool to remove the passenger side airbag. Once it's out I can drill the hole for the clutch cable and get the pedals/wiring installed. Most of the stuff in the engine bay is unhooked, so next step is to get the cross member swapped out to the manual one and I'm still waiting on parts to arrive for that. Once I get those and a few supplies I need (thread lock, electrical tape, etc) then we can finish it off. Hoping to get it done next weekend, fingers crossed.

Good to hear it's coming along nicely. Fingers crossed that there aren't any snags. 👍

Well, been working on it all weekend and didn't get it finished. Guess that's what happens when you are a one man team and have to do everything yourself. Got everything out that needs to come out except for the wiring, that is next on the to-do list. Once I get the new wiring harness cleaned up and re-wrapped, I'll feed it through and then start installing the rest of the parts.

The only thing I've really had trouble with is drilling the hole in the firewall for the clutch cable. The first hole saw I bought failed almost immediately, then the 2nd one I bought didn't seem to do anything. Upon doing some research I realized that maybe I was using the wrong technique (I guess they work best when you go slowly, opposite of how I was doing it) so we'll have to deal with that next time I go over to work on it, which might be Tuesday.

Progress! Well, sort of... Ran into all sorts of issues with this, left my last job a few days early just so I could have the extra time to get the car finished before I start my new job Monday and didn't get it done. So have to borrow my dad's gas guzzler V8 Dakota truck for a week. I ended up having to pull out the wiring harness I had originally bought because it was missing connectors, and went to the scrap yard today to get another one and was unable to get it out of the car before they closed so they kicked us out. I did get the car insured and registered though, so hopefully I can get it finished next weekend.

Here are a few photos I snapped while working on it.

10lb lightweight steel flywheel installed. (forgot to take photo of clutch installed)

DSCN6428 by JaMillPhoto, on Flickr

Front transmission mount.

DSCN6434 by JaMillPhoto, on Flickr

Transmission installed.

DSCN6433 by JaMillPhoto, on Flickr

3 pedals! Yay!

DSCN6432 by JaMillPhoto, on Flickr

What remains of the interior mess after I put the dashboard back in.

DSCN6431 by JaMillPhoto, on Flickr

The work area.

DSCN6427 by JaMillPhoto, on Flickr

Small update. Had issues with missing connectors on the last wiring harness I got, so had to get another one. Tried to take it out of a car at the scrap yard last weekend and was not successful by the time they closed, so they kicked us out. Thankfully it was still there this morning when I went back to get it. Got that all installed in the car, put all the air intake stuff back in and got the rest of the engine bay stuff buttoned up.

The passenger side CV axle I bought ended up being the wrong one, it was too long. (might have been for an LSD equipped car, mine is not) Found another one in town and it went in like butter, so I put everything back together on the passenger side and underneath. Hoping to get the car running by Sunday night, here's what's left:

- Install shift levers & shifter
- Drivers side brake caliper replacement (old one had a leaky piston seal)
- Tighten everything up on drivers side
- Bleed the brakes
- Button up wiring under the dashboard
- Put transmission fluid in
- Install new battery
- Cross fingers and start her up. :)

Back