Turbo's Elantra Sport: SOLD!

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 336 comments
Rotors and pads came in. Everything will go on this weekend. Hopefully the grille surround shows up so I can get the bumper put on too.

brakes.jpg

Long story short the brakes never got done. I spent a couple weeks going back and forth from Arizona to Colorado for a family issue and didn't have the time. I had planned on doing them this weekend along with putting the new front bumper on and the new grille. Started with the bumper/grille combo and it's being such a pain in the rear and taking more than a single day to do, brakes will get pushed back again. :rolleyes:

Was also time for the annual bug cleaning, so did that too...

Edit: Also, I will not be purchasing any more modifications for the car for a while. I am actually considering making the switch to a 2020 Forte GT and will concentrate on getting the financials together. I will however still purchase things that I feel will fit the new car. So far I think the coilovers, rear sway bar, front tie bar, short shifter and catch can will carry over just fine.

45817986_10156878225506543_8916590683339358208_o.jpg

Last edited:
Edit: Also, I will not be purchasing any more modifications for the car for a while. I am actually considering making the switch to a 2020 Forte GT and will concentrate on getting the financials together.
Update on this, not doing it. After some thought I came to the realization that I couldn't trade in this car as my Dad had helped me with the down payment to get it, and since he recently passed away it wouldn't feel right to get rid of it.

With that said, I will be attempting to do the brakes for a 4th time tomorrow (new rear rotors came in and they look right this time) and registering for the next autocross which is on the 8th.

Also, I have to say, it's probably a wiser financial move to hold onto the Elantra. I imagine they are going to depreciate in a similar manner, so you'll just double your losses if you swap it out so soon. I think those man-maths make sense anyways. :lol:

Also, I have to say, it's probably a wiser financial move to hold onto the Elantra. I imagine they are going to depreciate in a similar manner, so you'll just double your losses if you swap it out so soon. I think those man-maths make sense anyways. :lol:
We've noticed that the Sport models are actually doing better with that than say your bog standard Elantra. Used ones are still being listed for ~$18k depending on options and mileage. I paid that for my car new. A few people who have traded in for other cars were satisfied with what they were offered.

Brakes: Done.

It's amazing how quickly these wheels get dirty. I detailed them mid-day Sunday. Went for a short drive through town and then drove to work this morning and look at them. :P

View attachment 784262
Looks great. Welcome to the world of trying to keep your wheels clean. Mine will instantly get brake dust on them just from a short drive around the block. Just something to live with.

The front struts are really close to the main firewall. Should already be a stiff chassis but can't hurt to add in a bit more.

What is that sound your car makes on throttle? Open wastegate or just intake noise from the turbo? Sounds like rushing air.

The front struts are really close to the main firewall. Should already be a stiff chassis but can't hurt to add in a bit more.

What is that sound your car makes on throttle? Open wastegate or just intake noise from the turbo? Sounds like rushing air.
Just rushing air out the exhaust. The microphone was taped to the trunk lid just above the rear bumper.

Last autocross of the year. This course was pretty quick, spent a lot of time at or near the rev limiter in 2nd gear. Besides needing a limited slip very badly, the car is a blast.

I watched that thinking "wow this car needs a LSD" then I saw your post. :lol: How common is that mod? Kinda surprised they don't come with one from the factory.

I watched that thinking "wow this car needs a LSD" then I saw your post. :lol: How common is that mod? Kinda surprised they don't come with one from the factory.
Pierce Motorsports has a Cusco unit available for $1400. No idea what install would run but I'm sure it's not cheap. I haven't seen anyone step up and do it yet.

Two things:

1) With the coilovers, 4-point tie bar, strut bar and the sticky tires, this thing feels fantastic now. Changes direction almost immediately, steering feels nice and tight. Switching out the 7k front, 5k rear springs on the coilovers soon for 8k front, 6k rear. Can't wait to experience that change.

2) Zack from The Smoking Tire finally replied to my request for a One Take (I emailed them in August) and he is interested in filming the car. So look out for that in the near future. :cheers:

Update 2: Just purchased the tune from BTR. They had a sale going on and I caved. :lol: Might take a couple weeks to arrive but I won't put it in right away. Have a couple maintenance things to do first.

Small update:
  • Tune hasn't shipped yet. Holidays got in the way of schedules. They have to order a new ECU from Hyundai first, said they should arrive next week. Then they do the flash and send it my way. Hopefully I get it the week of the 14th (or sooner)
  • Stiffer rate springs for the coilovers shipped today.
  • Intake snorkel similar to this on the way.
  • Tax return might go to a full intercooler setup. Fingers crossed.
I also have some noises coming from the engine that worry me a bit. I took it to the dealer last weekend and they gave me a thumbs up. So moving ahead with the tune. I guess if it quits on me then so be it. Thankfully the senior tech at my dealer is the guy you go to if you need warranty stuff done on a modded car. So not worried about it. I would put the stock ECU back in before hand though.

Also, some noises coming from the front suspension. Not sure if it's the coilovers or something else. Still trying to track down the source...

And a recent photo.

48375501.jpg

So a few people in my facebook group have had issues with what they describe as knocking sounds when they turn right. I was able to get some video of the sound I am experiencing (below) and they all say it's similar to theirs. A couple of them have had the right hand engine mount replaced and it fixed the problem, so I will be doing the same. I did schedule an appointment at the dealer to have it replaced under warranty, but they wanted me to leave the car there and I couldn't do that. They said it would have to be inspected, then replaced at a different time. I have an autocross coming up and I am tired of the noise so I will be fixing it myself to save time. The dealer wants $240 with tax for the RH mount. I am replacing the right AND left mounts with the new, stiffer mounts from the 2019 Elantra GT N-Line for $185 shipped from Korea. Should be here in 3 days maximum.

Still waiting for the tune to arrive along with a couple other parts. The stiffer springs for the coilovers did show up, so I will be putting them in on the 26th along with raising the car 5mm and re-adjusting the preload. Autocross on the 27th.

Tune still hasn't arrived. :lol: I picked the worst time to order I guess. Seems like everything is delayed a month when people take two weeks off at the end of the year...

For now I have installed the engine mounts from the 2019 Elantra GT N-Line. Don't notice much difference, maybe crisper shifting. The RH mounts looked the same, but the LH mount has some distinct differences. Most notably the extra rubber on the front with some "bumpstops" to keep it from moving too much during hard cornering? They would press up against the mounting bracket on the transmission side.

Other than that, my VelossaTech intake tube came in. Taxes are done, just waiting on the refund deposits and then I will order the intercooler kit.

IMG_20190126_112133.jpg

IMG_20190126_113540.jpg

245/40's are on. Had the 8k/6k springs installed this morning. Adjusted the front camber along with the preload and ride height all the way around. Took us a couple hours and 4 attempts to get the height right. Bumps are a little harsher but the car feels good. Best part is that I don't have to clinch my butt over big bumps anymore hoping it won't rub on the front fenders. :lol:

51174859.jpg

So....bad news for me. I plan on attending most of the autocross events down here this year. They are SCCA sanctioned. I've been running the car in the STH class and went through the rules last night just to make sure I am compliant. Per the rule book, I am allowed to replace the stock interooler, however I am NOT allowed to replace the stock boost piping. So intercooler kit is a no-go. And the intercooler in the kit will not work with the stock piping as far as I know. Waiting confirmation.

In the mean time, I went ahead and installed the Velossatech Big Mouth intake tube. Went out for a canyon drive tonight to test the new setup (grip for DAYS. I love it) and on the way home I decided to pull over and check on something out of curiosity. After cruising on the highway for ~60 miles I stopped and popped the hood. Both the airbox and the intake tube were cold to the touch. :lol:

51775698.jpg

51626429.jpg

Neat seeing the intake behind the grille like that, though I can't decide whether it'd be even better if you couldn't see it...

Video from today. Car is performing pretty well, but the lack of a limited slip differential is holding me back. REALLY expensive upgrade but going to try and make it happen soon. Only paid for the standard 4 runs but that never feels like enough. Going to start paying the extra $10 for more timed (but unofficial) runs.

Unfortunately after two months I was still waiting for my tune to ship from BTR so I canceled the order last week and re-purchased through Lap3. Nothing against BTR but I guess they were so behind on tune orders that they even stopped taking new orders so they could catch up. Lap3 was having a sale where they were including optional extras for free (launch control, increased rev limiter) so I jumped on it. Was told it should ship out tomorrow (Monday) so I'll get it much quicker.

In the mean time, took some new photos.

IMG_20190224_135608.jpg

IMG_20190224_135626.jpg

IMG_20190224_135359.jpg

IMG_20190224_135431.jpg

And here's a nice before/after since we are coming up on two years...

before_after_2019.jpg

Back