Turbo's Elantra Sport: SOLD!

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 336 comments
Well, got it finished today after I realized I missed something (reverse switch) and had to make another trip to the scrap yard. Had to run a jumper in one of the relays under the hood. After searching the G20 forums for an hour using what seemed like hundreds of search keywords, found what I needed to do. But while doing the searching I stumbled upon something else that I'm glad I found.

Apparently the 91-93 G20 5-speeds are internally set up to use a cable operated speedometer. 93.5+ cars are set up to run an electronic speedometer. The transmission I bought had a cable speedo installed in it already, so I swapped it out for the electronic one. Well, if you try to use the electronic speedo in a transmission set up for cable speedo, it tears up the speedo gear and ruins the transmission. :eek: So I swapped it back to the cable operated speedo but now I won't have a working speedometer until I convert it completely to cable...

So, after I got it started the water pump sounds like I poured a bag of marbles into it, so the car will sit for another day and I will try to get the water pump changed out on Monday after work. If it's not one thing it's another...

Unsuccessful in my attempt to replace the water pump in a few hours. Yet another day borrowing someones car to get to work. The damn thing better be done Tuesday night or I'm going to flip.

Finished everything up tonight. Car is a bit rough, definitely needs a tuneup as it's got a bad miss. Might purchase everything for that tomorrow. In the mean time I think adjusting the TPS might help as well. But, crossing my fingers and driving her to work (an hour drive, one way) in the morning. :nervous:

So having driven it for a couple weeks it developed a noisy throwout bearing. I knew what was wrong with it because I had a Sentra SE-R do the same thing a few years ago, the engine and transmission were not aligned properly so the TO bearing wasn't running on the pressure plate as square as it should, causing the noise. I knew there were a couple bellhousing bolts missing on the backside of the engine, so on Saturday I put it up on ramps, loosened all of the bellhousing/starter bolts and got the trans to move enough I could get those two missing bolts in. Got everything tightened back down and the problem went away!

This, combined with brand new tires and installing the missing front motor mount (not really required so I skipped it at first) and the car is night and day different while driving. So much better. I also found the correct TPS settings and set that as well, but now I seem to be having idle issues and the misfire is still present below 2k RPM.

So since the last update on here, I have done:

- Adjusted TPS to correct values
- Fixed TO bearing noise issue
- Installed front motor mount
- Replaced leaky radiator cap
- Installed new tires
- Removed CEL and Washer fluid warning lights (I don't care to look at these :P)

Once I fix the misfire and idle issues, then I start saving for suspension items (shocks are beyond dead and steering rack has about 2-3 degrees of deadcenter play side to side :eek:). I'll be using a deposit refund in April to purchase some straight fenders/bumpers to replace the dented ones. 👍

Sorry for no pics, not really anything to show. :P

Still tracking down a misfire. Went the Autozone the other day and had them read the codes from the ECU:

1) Crankshaft Sensor (non existent at the moment, I have been told this causes ZERO drive-ability issues)
2) O2 Sensor (thought this popped up since I had unplugged it while the car was running to check something)
3) Knock Sensor
4) Speed Sensor (this is non-existent at the moment. Only issue is my speedo, cruise and odometer are not working...)

So, ignoring the crankshaft sensor code as stated above, and ignoring the speed sensor since this would not cause drive-ability issues either, we are left with the O2 sensor and the knock sensor. I got my deposit refund from my old power company yesterday, so I went and bought a new Bosch O2 sensor. Got it installed and the car still has a misfire. So that narrows it down to the knock sensor. Will replace that this weekend. :indiff:

Still battling the misfire issue. It's either the knock sensor wiring or the injectors. I have some refurbished OEM injectors being sent to me as we speak. Apparently you have to pull the intake manifold off to put them in. Going to try and avoid that, we'll see how it goes. Or I may just deal with it for now because after I finish the suspension I am changing the engine anyway...

So about that, ordering the first part of the new suspension at the end of the week. This will be a complete overhaul that will consist of the following: (purchased in this order)

- Tein S-Tech lowering springs
- KYB AGX adjustable shocks front & rear
- Custom made front shock mounts
- New OEM upper shock bushings/gaskets, etc.
- Polyurethane bushings at all 4 corners & steering rack mounts
- New/used steering rack (mine has lots of play in the center, it's shot)
- New OEM steering lines/hoses
- New tie rods & tie rod ends

Before all this goes in, I'm going to find a place in Phoenix that can steam clean the underside of the car to get rid of all the grease/oil that has accumulated for 270k miles. The new bushings I plan on also purchasing a whole set of used control arms and setting them up with the bushings before the install so I can minimize downtime.

Will update when the springs arrive. :)

Dunno how I missed this thread.

The Primera is an intriguing car. Interesting engineering - I believe it was one of the first cars in its class with multi-link rear suspension (though I'm not sure if earlier models like this one have it). Most of the ones they sold in the UK were dull as ditchwater, if typically dependable as most Nissans are.

But then they also sold the eGT and later the GT, which had about 150hp or so (a lot for such a car at the time), handled great and won plenty of praise from all the magazines. Always looked pretty subtle, but always had a bit of BTCC-related cool about it too. And now they're rather rare, so I suspect they'll be something of a future classic one day.

Part of my plan is a whole Primera conversion (bumpers, badging) but mechanical bits are a bit more important to me at the moment. Then we'll fix the crash damage on the left rear and the dented fenders. The rest of the car is pretty good paint wise, don't think I will need to paint the whole thing.

Primera's are as common as... something... that's common.. I guess.. here.

Primera's are treated like disposable people movers here, as such the parts for them are stupidly cheap from people crashing them, blowing the motors and other mishaps related to negligence.

So yeah.. I dunno how economic it would be buying stuff from here and shipping it to the states but if there's something you just can't track down I'm sure some of us kiwi folks could help you out!

I had to double take for a second, thought it said Turbo P10. :lol:

Primera's are as common as... something... that's common.. I guess.. here.

Primera's are treated like disposable people movers here, as such the parts for them are stupidly cheap from people crashing them, blowing the motors and other mishaps related to negligence.

So yeah.. I dunno how economic it would be buying stuff from here and shipping it to the states but if there's something you just can't track down I'm sure some of us kiwi folks could help you out!

Yeah, I have a mate with one of these. Manual, but never shifts with the clutch. :lol: Nismo bumper too!

SVX

Yeah, I have a mate with one of these. Manual, but never shifts with the clutch. :lol: Nismo bumper too!

There's a fully specced out one that lives near me that's painted rattle can matte black with a massive NISMO window sticker.. so feral..

You find the odd clean one but they're so common here they're like the american Camry I suppose.

There's a fully specced out one that lives near me that's painted rattle can matte black with a massive NISMO window sticker.. so feral..

You find the odd clean one but they're so common here they're like the american Camry I suppose.

Yeah, I see them all the time down here too. Most are unmolested but I've really never seen one looked after, most are just daily drivers.

It's worth clarifying that I'm not talking down about your Primera because it's a "Common" car over here, merely letting you know that because for us they're a common car it would be easy for us to source JDM spec Primera bits should you need them :)

SVX
No turbo here, it's getting one of these:

IMG_6808.JPG

It's worth clarifying that I'm not talking down about your Primera because it's a "Common" car over here, merely letting you know that because for us they're a common car it would be easy for us to source JDM spec Primera bits should you need them :)
I would expect them to be more common around the world. In the south west US at least, I don't see them very often. I see more of them in the scrap yard when I go hunting for parts than I do on the road. The ones that seem to be more common are the 99-02 models, probably because they are newer.

Small update, decided to put the suspension on hold for a few more weeks and do the engine swap first. Since it's basically the same engine that's in the car (externally) I can do it fairly easy with only a header being required for install since the exhaust ports are slightly higher than the engine in the car currently.

Will update again when it arrives on my Aunt's doorstep, where I'm having it shipped and where it's being installed.

Just a side note, I remember seeing a Primera converted to UKDM spec in Tokyo.. Gave the dude a big fat thumbs up and got a huge grin back.. Wherever in the world, we always want what we don't have.. :) This thread needs more pics btw haha.

Just a side note, I remember seeing a Primera converted to UKDM spec in Tokyo.. Gave the dude a big fat thumbs up and got a huge grin back.. Wherever in the world, we always want what we don't have.. :) This thread needs more pics btw haha.
Working on it, not much going on at the moment while I save up some money. Painted the faded B-pillars and debadged the rear of the car in preperation for the Nissan badging. This weekend it's getting a tire rotation, fixing the drivers sun visor so it'll stop falling down, and cleaning the spark plugs.

I may have changed my mind again on the engine, might do the suspension first. :P

Would explain my desire for a piece of filthy American muscle just because they're so exceptionally rare in NZ haha

I also ordered the front lower control arm bushings, those should arrive sometime this week with everything else I ordered. The tie rod ends came in the mail yesterday. I think there will be at least one package waiting for me each day this week when I get home. :D This weekend I will be ordering the shocks/struts and the upper mounts for them. Figure to have everything on the car in the next couple weeks.

As I was scrolling through, I was wondering if you were going with the SR20VE or a GTi-R SR20DET. After reading the issue of Project Car with the white G20 I had always kinda wanted one.

Guess I should update this. Had a bit of a setback after I pulled some control arms off a car at the junk yard. When I took them to the local NAPA to get the ball joints and old bushings pressed out, he called me to let me know that on one of the control arms the ball joint wasn't the same size. I guess it was an aftermarket control arm that had a bigger ball joint than OEM, so I can't use it. So with rent coming up I've had to put things on hold.

Next weekend I plan on attempting to pull another arm off a car at the junk yard and trying again, then attempting to pull the intake manifold off my car so I can change the injectors and see if that gets rid of the misfire I have been chasing from day 1. Things are going a little slower than I'd like...

Saw this thread an immediately thought of this project that competes in the MTPCC presented by Motoiq.com

Rockwood along with the rest of the gang at moto build some great projects with purpose of racing. Been reading some of their articles from all the way back in the SCC days. Even though I know you know your way around the Nissan/ Infiniti, thought you might like this read.

http://www.motoiq.com/Projects/Infiniti/G20.aspx

Good luck finishing off this project, can't wait to see the final product :-)

Quick update: Put some refurbished injectors in the car yesterday. While doing so noticed that a vacuum line on the EGR system was burst open, so I also took the time to replace that and all the other vacuum lines. All this in an attempt to fix the misfire/hesitation I am getting. Final verdict - didn't fix it. :grumpy:

Whatever is causing the issue, is not throwing any codes in the ECU. Since I'm getting a second car this weekend I figure it's not such a big deal to fix it ASAP anymore. The next step would be to replace the distributor (I have an extra one laying around), then check for a clogged catalytic converter. If neither of those fix it, I might try a different ECU. Who knows...

Update!! :)

Those of you that were following my car purchase thread will have seen this, those that haven't here's the low down. I decided it would be in my best interest to get something a little more reliable for a daily driver since my commute to work is 23 miles one-way. The G20 has working A/C, but with the misfire issue and the fact that it's really tired I can't use the A/C while driving around town as it robs the car of what feels like 50% of it's power and it wants to make the motor stall when I come to a stop. So I am forced to only use it while traveling at a constant speed. It's taking too long to find the mystery misfire, so I decided to take my chances on a loan approval and although I had to have my mother co-sign with me to get the deal done, in the end I think it was worth it.

So I found this car online along with a few others, it was the third one on my list of cars to look at. The first, a 2011 Mazda3 Sport sedan was an instant "NO" as soon as I opened the door and smelled cigarette smoke. The second, a 2006 Subaru Impreza wagon was unfortunately sold (to a dealership employee no less) before we got there. This dealer also had a 2007 Golf GTi 5-door with DSG trans but I passed on it as it had 89,000 miles on it.

When we got to the dealer that had the car I purchased, we had to chase the car down as it was going through safety check and getting ready for detail, but was also scheduled to be looked at by another customer later in the day. We talked to the salesman that had the appointment and she said it wasn't sold so we could move forward. (sorry to the person who had the appointment, finders keepers :P) They had it listed online for $15,998 and it had 45,000 miles on it. I took it for two test drives, the first one was cut short since it was almost out of gas. Unfortunately the salesman helping me put regular unleaded in it, so I've been taking it easy until this tank runs out so I can put the proper fuel in it. All in all I got the car for $13,600 + TTL. It has a broken taillight which the dealership will be replacing next weekend. It works, it's just the lens that has a hole in it. I also noticed that the turn signal marker on the RH mirror isn't working, will have to figure that one out.

2009 Volkswagen GTi 3-door
45k miles
6-Speed Manual

Enough chatting, pics!

DSCN6624.JPG

DSCN6625.JPG

DSCN6626.JPG

Any plans to get it remapped?

Not sure yet. Right now thinking about a lower height, wheels, better shift knob, exhaust (it's too quiet! :P) and fixing some paint spots that need a good buffing. The spoiler is faded pretty badly, same with the top of the rear bumper and under the front grille.

I fully approve of this 👍

I read in that purchase thread when it was Jetta vs Mazda3.

This is such a good choice.
Colour seems nice dark blue with a hint of purple? Nice

Exaust + lowering is a good entry start. Get good suspension, like one of the renowned germans. Because a good suspension will be the key for bringing the power down to the blacktop, especially if you tune it later.

If both of those are quality, you can run 300hp with getting the power down.

An other cool upgrade would be R32 parts and a later model of the VW nav unit....

👍

Back