Turbo's Elantra Sport: SOLD!

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 336 comments
As @UrieHusky said the Primera of that shape is common as muck here in NZ. Had one myself a few years back. Just an auto :censored:box that was an A-B car. Pretty reliable though i must say. Good luck with getting it up to auto x level.

Those who can, Drive Nissan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fully approve of this 👍

I read in that purchase thread when it was Jetta vs Mazda3.

This is such a good choice.
Colour seems nice dark blue with a hint of purple? Nice

Exaust + lowering is a good entry start. Get good suspension, like one of the renowned germans. Because a good suspension will be the key for bringing the power down to the blacktop, especially if you tune it later.

If both of those are quality, you can run 300hp with getting the power down.

An other cool upgrade would be R32 parts and a later model of the VW nav unit....

👍
It's just metallic black. As far as suspension goes, KW is my only consideration for this car. It'll be a while though, their stuff isn't cheap. Not sure on the exhaust yet.

So I have decided the first mod on the GTi will be a resonator delete, followed by a shift knob, boost gauge, and suspension.
Why a resonator and not a cat(s) or muffler delete if what you want is more sound? Isn't the resonator there to get rid of the drone?

Having been on GTi forums and done some searching, the general consensus there is to do a resonator delete. The muffler delete is too loud, and the cat will be upgraded to a high flow unit when I replace the downpipe.

^👍

On the suspension, did you give Bilstein a thought? It's easier to set up as both travels are on one dial. KW is awesome but it needs more adjustement.

First, nice car 👍

Update!! :)

Those of you that were following my car purchase thread will have seen this, those that haven't here's the low down. I decided it would be in my best interest to get something a little more reliable for a daily driver since my commute to work is 23 miles one-way. The G20 has working A/C, but with the misfire issue and the fact that it's really tired I can't use the A/C while driving around town as it robs the car of what feels like 50% of it's power and it wants to make the motor stall when I come to a stop. So I am forced to only use it while traveling at a constant speed.

Do you have any idea what that would be? My family's mini van does the exact same thing and we can't figure it out.

G20 still hasn't sold and it's been sitting. So there's your update on that.

As far as the GTi goes, tomorrow (tuesday) I am getting the resonator cut out and replaced with a straight pipe. I am actively looking for a new shift knob (need all leather, AZ heat no good with metal) or maybe a boost gauge. Might save the gauge for when I get the ECU flashed. Suspension? Who knows.

In any case, I found the wheels I want. If anyone knows where I can get a good deal on a set of used VW CC 18" Daytona's (see pic below) it would be greatly appreciated. :)

vw_cc_daytona.jpg

Good and bad news.

First, the bad news is not really bad news but unfortunately I hit a bird on the way to work this morning. It was pretty nasty, I had to stop and clean the guts off the front of my car. :yuck:

Now the good news: Short shifter on order! Should get it in next week some time. Will post pics of install, and I will also try and get a video up of the exhaust note after the resonator delete. Sounds pretty good, aggressive but not over the top. Will also update the OP...

First, the bad news is not really bad news but unfortunately I hit a bird on the way to work this morning. It was pretty nasty, I had to stop and clean the guts off the front of my car. :yuck:
I drove around with my dead bird for a solid 50 miles before I hit a bump hard enough to rip it off. :dopey:

So my brother will be driving the G20 for a bit, and may even purchase it from me. So at least it won't be sitting anymore.

Got video of the resonator delete using my HTC One. This is best viewed with headphones to get the full effect.

Small update, went to put the short shifter in last night and that little rod sticking up on the right (see photo above) is too large for the plastic clip on the shift cable. I guess they changed the size of that thing somewhere in the middle of the MK5 production run, so I have to get a smaller one from Neuspeed.

So my brother will be driving the G20 for a bit, and may even purchase it from me. So at least it won't be sitting anymore.

Got video of the resonator delete using my HTC One. This is best viewed with headphones to get the full effect.

Sounds good.

Small update, went to put the short shifter in last night and that little rod sticking up on the right (see photo above) is too large for the plastic clip on the shift cable. I guess they changed the size of that thing somewhere in the middle of the MK5 production run, so I have to get a smaller one from Neuspeed.

Duct tape that clip on ;)

Small update.

Got the short shifter installed. Was a little tough to get used to at the start, a 40% reduction in throws at first feels like the car isn't in gear, but now that I am used to it, I LOVE it. :)

Now some disappointing news. I tried to change the oil last weekend, and after I cracked the oil drain plug loose I turned it a couple times by hand and it got tight again. I put the wrench back on it and kept turning it, but the more I turned it, the tighter it got. I just had a feeling it was going to cross thread, so I tightened it back up and immediately called the dealership I bought the car from and scheduled an appointment for them to fix it.

So... I got there today for the appointment and after a few minutes of back and forth with the service AND sales departments, they basically told me that because they have no proof that their service guy did it, and because I tried to change the oil myself and was probably my fault (I've only done ALL maintenance work on every car I have owned for the last 15 years and have an associates in auto repair) that they in a round about way basically told me to 🤬 off. So I gave the sales manager a dirty look, walked out without saying a word, and promptly put a hole in their wall on my way out with my fist. Nobody saw me do it, but I wouldn't care if they did. They won't fix my car, they can fix their wall.

In any case, I will fix it myself. Got a line on a brand new oil pan for $50, and I'm putting a drain valve on it so I don't have to deal with a drain plug anymore. And the dealership can go 🤬 themselves, and they won't ever hear from me again. (unless the motor self destructs, then I'll be forced to use the warranty...)

Edit: On a brighter note, I just bought this:

attachment.php

Last edited:
New oil pan, install kit and drain valve on the way. $145 including shipping. Jetta Wolfsburg edition front grille set also on the way.

Grille set arrived at the post office this morning but my tracking says they expect it to be delivered on Wednesday. Booo. 👎

Oil pan hasn't shipped yet, they are waiting on parts. Hoping it's sooner than later because the car is already past due for an oil change.

It looks like a standard Golf to me now rather than a GTI. Although, it's your car, and if you're happy with it then that's all that matters. 👍

I think it looks better overall but I definitely miss the stripe. It's such a characteristic GTI feature that it just doesn't look right without it.

Bit like taking your GTR badges off a Skyline, kind of makes it look like a plain base model now.

If you like it though more power to you! Just kinda looks strange to me without the iconic red lipstick

Back